IGNORED

Reprimands at Liberty University

Boogalou

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if I'm reading right, if you say something that indicates you might be suicidal, you get... kicked out of school? I mean, not that I imagine Liberty would be a good place to get counseling anyway, but damn. Way to be compassionate, folks.

In fairness to them, they may not mean "kicked out of school" as in "you're expelled," they may mean "you need more serious help than is available to you at our institution. We encourage you to seek this help. Upon information from you and your doctors that you are in a good and safe condition to return without a substantive risk that you will harm yourself or others, we will welcome you back with open arms." Many colleges have policies like this, though they are not always codified.

Guest Anonymous
This makes me the saddest:

* Life-threatening behavior or language to others or oneself (immediate removal/exclusion from campus and a minimum of two semesters out)

So if I'm reading right, if you say something that indicates you might be suicidal, you get... kicked out of school? I mean, not that I imagine Liberty would be a good place to get counseling anyway, but damn. Way to be compassionate, folks.

During my first year there a girl threatened suicide and her room mate told someone. She was removed from campus, not given any help and someone told me she ended up committing suicide. :(

If they knew half of what I did there, I would have owed them thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of service. :)

ETA: I can copy anything else here that you're curious about in the Liberty Way.

Well now I am going to have to find my early/mid nineties copy so we can compare!

Most of it looks pretty similar.

Treemom and the poster who worked at Liberty: Do you get kicked out of the school if you reach a certain number of reprimands?

Treemom and the poster who had liberty on their short list of schools: why did each of you decide and not decide to go there? If this is too nosy, plaese ignore, I am just curious.

Question 1: I honestly don't know. I didn't get caught with most of the stuff I did. I mostly got dress code violations. I went there during the days that women had to wear skirts and they had to hit the bottom of your knee. I have really long thighs so I had a lot of borderline stuff.

Question 2: Full ride. I was poor. I was recruited for a "academic team" that had some measure of success. (I don't want it googlable) I am sure Annette can guess :) It was the baby of Falwell.

In fairness to them, they may not mean "kicked out of school" as in "you're expelled," they may mean "you need more serious help than is available to you at our institution. We encourage you to seek this help. Upon information from you and your doctors that you are in a good and safe condition to return without a substantive risk that you will harm yourself or others, we will welcome you back with open arms." Many colleges have policies like this, though they are not always codified.

No, trust me they don't.

Case in point. I have been crazy since toddlerhood. My unstable childhood combined with genetic predisposition to mental illness set the stage for my anxiety disorders. I knew there as something wrong at Liberty. I was in the high of my compulsions of the OCD and well my anxiety level was high (as it had always been)

I went to LU before HIPPA was around. I went to get counseling at Light Medical. Unfortunately everything I told the Therapist was going to be communicated to the University. Guess what I didn't talk about? Anything.

That experience was so scarring it was years before I sought help again.

Yeah...thank God for HIPPA!

During my first year there a girl threatened suicide and her room mate told someone. She was removed from campus, not given any help and someone told me she ended up committing suicide. :(

For the record, this happens probably every year (someone getting kicked out for this)

Also, the big drama my frosh year was when one of the girls on my hall got kicked out for a vibrator. I was a little astounded to find out how many women on the hall seriously thought masturbation was a sin.

Also, the big drama my frosh year was when one of the girls on my hall got kicked out for a vibrator.

Zoinks. So masturbation is an expellable offense?

It lists "immorality" right up there with abortion and sexual assault. That is an incredibly vague word, what does it mean?

Zoinks. So masturbation is an expellable offense?

Apparently a vibrator was.

The weird this is our RAs were pretty laid back about stuff. They followed the rules, but they weren't room tossers. So it was just very odd when it went down.

I think I (in my socially awkward way) announced to most of the hall that I thought masturbation was normal and healthy and for gosh sakes if you had to wait till marriage that sounds like the best way to do that!

It lists "immorality" right up there with abortion and sexual assault. That is an incredibly vague word, what does it mean?

Masturbation and vibrators apparently.

No, trust me they don't.

Case in point. I have been crazy since toddlerhood. My unstable childhood combined with genetic predisposition to mental illness set the stage for my anxiety disorders. I knew there as something wrong at Liberty. I was in the high of my compulsions of the OCD and well my anxiety level was high (as it had always been)

I went to LU before HIPPA was around. I went to get counseling at Light Medical. Unfortunately everything I told the Therapist was going to be communicated to the University. Guess what I didn't talk about? Anything.

That experience was so scarring it was years before I sought help again.

Yeah...thank God for HIPPA!

Oh wow, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Sounds like that's definitely not what they mean - most colleges, while they will encourage you to leave campus and seek help, also do a lot to help you FIND that help, they don't just set you loose and go "okay good luck! Hope you don't kill yourself!" That's hugely reprehensible.

Well now I am going to have to find my early/mid nineties copy so we can compare!

Most of it looks pretty similar.

Dress code would be a fun comparison. Most other things are probably pretty much the same.

Dress code would be a fun comparison. Most other things are probably pretty much the same.

I went back there in the days of no tv, no music (well not much anyhow) and no newspapers!

* Two or more individuals of the opposite sex together in motel room without proper permission

For some reason, I keep thing there is something logically wrong with that one. I know what they mean, but I think it's phrased in a way that it might literally mean something nonsensical. Am I the only one thinking that?

"Attendance at a dance" is a bad thing? Let me guess, LU is one of those "dancing is eeeevvvviiiillllll!!!!!" places.

I'm also curious as to what the "music code" is.

And I thought it was rough having to pay a $15 fine for pulling through in the parking lot, before I could get my transcripts. (I actually racked quite a few parking violations at school when I was there in the early 90's. I was better this time around!). Sheesh, Liberty must make some money!

"Attendance at a dance" is a bad thing? Let me guess, LU is one of those "dancing is eeeevvvviiiillllll!!!!!" places.

I'm also curious as to what the "music code" is.

When I was there it was either hymns, contemporary Christian or classical music that was allowed. Period.

There were two instances when I ran afoul of that. In said academic teams lab (back in the days when it was a classroom and two offices and not what the amazing lab they have now) I played Madonna and got caught and another time I was playing the soundtrack to Les Mis and got caught.

Possession of booze is up there with abortion?

I saw that, too. I knew Liberty was hardcore Baptist (no drinking, no dancing), but still.....

:obscene-drinkingcheers::happy-partydance:

If I went there, I'd probably owe them millions of dollars, or probably be kicked out. I noticed there was no rules about spending the night with someone of the same sex, being alone in a hotel room with someone of the same sex, entering the room of someone of the same sex, etc. Guess they think that's nothing to worry about there? :D But I'd totally have a secret girlfriend there and not have to worry as much as my heterosexual classmates, because if spending the night isn't technically against the rules, it'd be positively easy!

If I went there, I'd probably owe them millions of dollars, or probably be kicked out. I noticed there was no rules about spending the night with someone of the same sex, being alone in a hotel room with someone of the same sex, entering the room of someone of the same sex, etc. Guess they think that's nothing to worry about there? :D But I'd totally have a secret girlfriend there and not have to worry as much as my heterosexual classmates, because if spending the night isn't technically against the rules, it'd be positively easy!

Back when I was there if you wanted to stay off campus you had to be with your parents or a married adult couple.

I lied a lot.

Archived