IGNORED

Reprimands at Liberty University

Boogalou

He really did love the students and enjoy interacting with them. I'm glad you had that experience despite your circumstances, treemom.

I think that was the most troubling thing about him in a way.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is such an interesting thread. If I was actually close to my SiL, I'd ask her about Crown College. It seems on par with the ones mentioned here. She went there before marrying BiL (who did not go -- they ran off an eloped actually.)

Two or more of the opposite sex in a hotel room...How many sexes does LU recognize? You couldnt ever go to a conference in a hotel that used a suite for one of the meeting rooms either because there might be 5 or 6 or 10 opposite sexes in the room.

I think I figured out what bugs me. If you have one female and one male in a hotel room, that's only one of the opposite sex and, by this rule, there's nothing wrong with that.

This is such an interesting thread. If I was actually close to my SiL, I'd ask her about Crown College. It seems on par with the ones mentioned here. She went there before marrying BiL (who did not go -- they ran off an eloped actually.)

If you have specific questions, I'd be willing to take a shot. I've never been there myself, but at my old (extremely fundie) church pretty much everyone in leadership (pastor, youth pastor, children's paster, etc.) all went to Crown, along with about 90% of the graduating seniors from the youth group. It was heavily, heavily pushed by church leadership as THE BEST/ONLY GOD-APPROVED Christian college in existence (and that's only a slight exaggeration, I had people try to talk me out of going to PCC in favor of Crown because PCC was too liberal!). And our youth pastor loved to tell stories about himself, so between those two situations I know a lot. But Liberty is a positive bastion of liberals compared to Crown.

I just don't know how Liberty could possibly monitor things like movies and music these days, since people have iPods and movies/TV on their computers. I guess you have to be pretty obvious to get caught.

I would totally go to a super-Christian college just to mess around if a) it were somehow free, and b) if I had some serious free time. But I wonder why these kids (kids who know what they're getting into) bother going away to school if they're going to be treated like ten-year-olds at camp. Everyone knows the point of college is to grow the eff up (at least a little), and I don't see how you can do that if you can't make any of your own decisions, including dress, company, entertainment, etc.

I'm pretty sure I was treated with more dignity and respect as a ten-year-old kid at camp.

I just finished "Unlikely Disciple" and I really liked it. Kevin Roose is a great writer.

But I do wonder. Could a fundie kid leave his or her fundie college and handle a semester at a more secular, liberal college? Could they handle a place Berkeley or NYU?

But I do wonder. Could a fundie kid leave his or her fundie college and handle a semester at a more secular, liberal college? Could they handle a place Berkeley or NYU?

Some could, but a lot of time the people that do that are the ones who end up running wild when they finally get some freedom. I went from a very fundie school to a fairly liberal state school and did OK, but I was also married and living off campus (at 19), so I guess that's different than being on campus and/or at a big party school or super-liberal school might be.

I'm pretty sure I was treated with more dignity and respect as a ten-year-old kid at camp.

Unfortunately for many of us, there was loads more freedom at LU than there was at home. I for one was excited just to have friends, plural, for the first time in about 10 years.

I saw a job posting for their women's swim team there:

http://forum.collegeswimming.com/viewto ... f=6&t=5575

Kind of surprised to see they've got a women's swim team, since you can't really dress modestly in the sport like you can in the land-based sports. (for one, swimsuits that cover the shoulders more than a fairly thin strap are not allowed under the current rulebook.) I suspect much defrauding goes on at home meets.

I wonder if they expected vising athletes from other schools to follow the same rules Liberty students do while on campus. I can remember my dripping wet and scantily clad self having light smoochies in the hallway with my boyfriend if he showed up at a meet between warm-ups and the start of racing or when diving got too boring, and he'd sometimes road trip to our away meets.

Archived