IGNORED

Call the Midwife (on PBS in the US)

gardenvarietycitizen

Does anyone know if there will be a season 5?

Yes, there will be!

They're filming the 2015 Christmas Special at the moment, and I guess Series 6 will follow on from that.

Here's some proof:

F4C5pfkl.jpg

Yes, I follow their Twitter page :embarrassed:

• Upvote 1

SO SO excited to find out some of you love this show too! I count on it for my "cry episode" of the week. I can't imagine how this entire cast isn't winning tons of awards - maybe when Downton Abbey quits next year the UK will start giving CTM more love.

Considering that it was a major issue of the time I'm not surprised that they delved into it but it's just so sad to think about.

While I don't know anything about this specific drug, the fact that the pregnant woman asked specifically what it was they gave her and then the doc called it by name makes me think they're going to come back to it at some point.

Also, Patsy's storyline...At first I was all :happy-jumpeveryone: ...then I was all :crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue:

• 4 weeks later...
I loved this show, does anyone know if there will be any further episodes?

They're working on another season which will probably air in the US starting in January 2016.

Haven't read the entire thread. But I love this show! My husband actually enjoys it too. And I got my mom into it. We've been watching it on Netflix when she comes to visit (and while my son naps.) We have only 2 episodes left of season 3. I've seen all of season 4 except the Christmas episode while for some reason I didn't get DVRed.

It's a big odd without Jenny but I really don't mind it too much. The Turners are probably my favorites.

Haven't read the entire thread. But I love this show! My husband actually enjoys it too. And I got my mom into it. We've been watching it on Netflix when she comes to visit (and while my son naps.) We have only 2 episodes left of season 3. I've seen all of season 4 except the Christmas episode while for some reason I didn't get DVRed.

It's a big odd without Jenny but I really don't mind it too much. The Turners are probably my favorites.

I like it better without Jenny. I found her annoying and too perfect. Hers was my least favourite character of them all.

• Upvote 2

I like it better without Jenny. I found her annoying and too perfect. Hers was my least favourite character of them all.

I've never taken to Jessica Raine (plays Jenny) so I wasn't sure if it was the character or the actor that I disliked. Then Raine ran off with a married man (who actually left his wife in the middle of planning her 40th birthday) and it confirmed for me that I don't like the character OR the actor.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Old thread, but I adore this show. I've actually started re-watching it today. It's like being with old friends. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

@Blahblah, I'm watching it.  This Sunday coming is the last episode of S5 in the UK, it has been a brilliant series so far and I'm going to miss it when it finishes, how many eps have you seen so far?  Don't want to give anything away! 

@caszandraJust seen the one with the barge people and the Brylcream stain on the wall. I'm loving it this series too.

The character development and taking on the social changes has been handled brilliantly.

And as for Dr Turner's legs in those shorts in the camping episode, well, I do like me a McGann.

• Upvote 2

I've been trying to wait until this airs in the US, but I may end up caving and watching it via less than legal means.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

@caszandraJust seen the one with the barge people and the Brylcream stain on the wall. I'm loving it this series too.

The character development and taking on the social changes has been handled brilliantly.

And as for Dr Turner's legs in those shorts in the camping episode, well, I do like me a McGann.

Your up to date with me then, the social changes and medication 'mistakes' explored this series has been excellent, there have been quite a few eps that I have shed a few tears over. (I am trying really hard not to say what exactly for people who haven't seen it yet).  I do agree about Mr McGann! All of the McGann brothers are a bit of alright.

• Upvote 1

@caszandra oh yeah on the McGanns. I've watched several documentaries that I would otherwise have had zero interest in just because Paul McGann narrated them. That man's voice *swoon*

And it is hard not to discuss specific story lines isn't it? Trixie bring a tear to my eye almost every episode especially when Tom is around.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

Trixie bring a tear to my eye almost every episode especially when Tom is around.

That has been so hard to see, even more the bits with Barbara, it has been great to see what's been going on with Patsy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, caszandra said:

That has been so hard to see, even more the bits with Barbara, it has been great to see what's been going on with Patsy.

Oh to hell with spoilers. I'm so torn. It's lovely seeing Tom and Barbara developing their relationship, but then in the background there's gorgeous Trixie putting on her brave face. 

i love that they are confronting the hard stuff - lesbian relationships, thalidomide, contraception, pre-marital sex.

My mum loves this show. I was born at home with a midwife in 1966 (in Leicestershire though, not London) so it's not too far removed from her own experience.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

Oh to hell with spoilers. I'm so torn. It's lovely seeing Tom and Barbara developing their relationship, but then in the background there's gorgeous Trixie putting on her brave face. 

i love that they are confronting the hard stuff - lesbian relationships, thalidomide, contraception, pre-marital sex.

My mum loves this show. I was born at home with a midwife in 1966 (in Leicestershire though, not London) so it's not too far removed from her own experience.

I'm trying to wait until it airs....BUT Tom and Barbara!!!!!!!!!!  Whoa, whoa!  I had a feeling after those significant glances on the bus in the Xmas special!

Just now, SpunkySpurgeonette said:

I'm trying to wait until it airs....BUT Tom and Barbara!!!!!!!!!!  Whoa, whoa!  I had a feeling after those significant glances on the bus in the Xmas special!

Oh sorry! But yes it was a bit obvious from the bus trip. Will try not to say too much else for you.

2 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

I think it's great that they have shown Trixie getting help for her problems with alcohol and they have brought up the health risks with cigarettes, I loved how Timothy tricked his Dad in to stopping. It makes so much sense to put Tom and Barbara together but was hard to see Trixie find out about them. The thalidomide storyline has been heart breaking, I sobbed during the episodes it was featured.  Nurse Crane has been a revelation this series!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, caszandra said:

Nurse Crane has been a revelation this series!

How could I have overlooked Phyllis! Watching the person emerge from behind the starchy uniform has been like unwrapping a present.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

How could I have overlooked Phyllis! Watching the person emerge from behind the starchy uniform has been like unwrapping a present.

I love how they have beefed up her character and shown she is not as squeaky clean and uptight as first shown, the reactions to some of her stories when she has told them to others has been hilarious. 

• Upvote 2

So I watched the last ep of S5 today, all I will say is get a packet of tissues ready before you start watching, I spent nearly the whole ep in tears :tw_dissapointed_relieved:.

• Upvote 2

I LOVE Call the Midwife. I was born in the 90's and I'm not British but I have loved it ever since the first episode. I can't believe season 5 is finished already! Now we have to wait til December for more :(

20 hours ago, caszandra said:

So I watched the last ep of S5 today, all I will say is get a packet of tissues ready before you start watching, I spent nearly the whole ep in tears :tw_dissapointed_relieved:.

I had to banish the kids and MrBlah so that I could snuffle and blow my nose without them laughing at me. Every time I thought it couldn't get any sadder, it did. I'm wrung out.

• Upvote 1