IGNORED

Call the Midwife (on PBS in the US)

gardenvarietycitizen

In Episode 3, the nuns are outsourced to prison work, Fred gets into a spot of trouble, and CFK gets to break out the nun GIFs again:

http://blog.freejinger.org/worldly-dist ... ode-three/

I really should not be reading your brilliant synopses of the new series as they haven't aired in the US yet, but I have no self-control. :embarrassed: Thank you, thank you, thank you! :worship:

It is worth noting that although it might seem a lot like a repeat, both stories with the mixed race children are from the books. They were in the same chapter and presented as two sides of the same coin, ended well/ended badly.

What worries me a little is that they have done almost all the stories from the books. They are having to make up more and more, I hope they manage to pull it off for a while still because I love this show ^^'

Ah, I haven't read the books so that does help. I do think both stories were well-done in their own right, for the record, but it does feel weird as a just a television viewer.

Well it's safe to say that I did NOT see that coming.

Poor Jenny seems to bring bad luck to her love interests XD I wonder when and how they will introduce her future husband... Presumably his name is Worth.

I wonder, was Alec a real boyfriend of Jenny's? Did he appear in the books or was he created for the show?

I wonder, was Alec a real boyfriend of Jenny's? Did he appear in the books or was he created for the show?

She doesn't talk about her relationships at all in the books, it's all about her job and stories about the people in Poplar. She barely even mentions her husband at the very end. I don't even think she says how they met. (I don't remember too well, but I think something like that would have stood out to me). So I'm inclined to think that Alec was created for the show.

This week, Sister Evangelina has a party and the midwives have a complicated new situation:

http://blog.freejinger.org/worldly-dist ... sode-five/

I balled my eyes out during this episode! (Okay, so I cry at lots of TV programmes and when people win at the Olympics! :embarrassed: ) It was great to see how disability was handled - it's such a taboo topic even today. I really like the curate ;) - and yeah he was in the prison episode the other week.

Thanks for all the work on the recaps, CFK! I've been reading them avidly and busily spoiling myself before the show comes back to PBS in the U.S. later this month.

Thanks DrP! In retrospect, I feel the finale was a tad rushed, at least where Jenny was concerned - "Oh, here's my husband, we're totally going to get married even though he has about five lines and got less buildup than Bland Alec, BYE". Still, the stuff with Chummy and her Mummy was great.

I did not expect that either... I have mixed feelings over this finale. Disappointed at Jessica Raine for falling prey to the same old Hollywood dream. It almost never works out, and it's such an ungrateful way to behave towards the show that made you a household name... Would it have killed her to do one or two more seasons, and see the show to the end ?

On the other hand, while she was central to the show, I feel certain that they can pull it off without her... It will be extra work and they will have to get the balance just right but it can be done. I feel hopeful for the next season :) This is one of my favourite TV shows and I really enjoy watching it so I hope they can keep producing interesting episodes. (But I don't want to see too much of Patsy, she grates on my nerves for some reason).

Thanks for the recaps crazyforkate, they help me collect my thoughts when I'm too tired to do it myself XD

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The season finale gave me ugly cry. I don't wish to spoil it. Happy & sad tears all around. Anyone else watched?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Season 4 starts January 18th at 8pm in Britain and January 20th at 8.30pm in Australia if you have Foxtel (and we do - yay Foxtel for once).

Not sure about the US - sorry guys. Ooops, found it - March 29th on PBS in the USA

I haven't read the posts above because I'm only in Season 2 and don't want spoilers, so sorry if this info has already been posted.

Edit: found a USA date

Thank goodness, I was looking for the British date everywhere! Will dutifully tune in when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

You do such an excellent job crazyforkate - but I'm still watching season 3 so can't read them yet :(

I'm up to where Alec just dies, Jenny has trundled off the the Mother House (thankfully, I find her sooo snooty), and they just had Sister Evangeline's Jubilee - which made me cry :cry: How does this show always manage to reach into even my cold, black heart and make me teary? :think:

Thanks crazyforkate for the recaps. I will savor them. Only have up to season three on Netflix. I love this show.