IGNORED

Call the Midwife (on PBS in the US)

gardenvarietycitizen

I thought it was brilliant. I thought the immigrant storyline was good, she does mention immigrants and how the locals dealt with them in her book - don't forget this was based in the 50s, so attitudes were very different then. Also my heart was breaking for Sister MJ when she was crying about the phone call!

Not sure about Chummy, next week is the final episode of the series and I have no idea if they will do a third series :(

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines ... -3-in-2014

Happy tidings :D

Good news for those of us who have missed it on PBS, it is being streamed on Netflix.

It's Beatrix![/quote

That is my grandbaby's , middle name, her full name is Lilian Beatrix, I just call her LillyBee.

It's Beatrix![/quote

That is my grandbaby's , middle name, her full name is Lilian Beatrix, I just call her LillyBee.

Oh Lilian Beatrix is such a lovely name! :)

It's Beatrix!

That's a beautiful name. I'm glad some of the "old-fashioned" ones are starting to come back. Always loved the name Beatrice but my mom told me if I ever name a hypothetical daughter that she'll have no choice but to send her to live in the old folks' home. Because, you know, my sister's kids' weird hippie names are so much better (she's on Hellena levels). But anyway, I just love that name!

That's a beautiful name. I'm glad some of the "old-fashioned" ones are starting to come back. Always loved the name Beatrice but my mom told me if I ever name a hypothetical daughter that she'll have no choice but to send her to live in the old folks' home. Because, you know, my sister's kids' weird hippie names are so much better (she's on Hellena levels). But anyway, I just love that name!

I like a lot of the more "old-fashioned" names because they're often quite timeless ans suit babies/children/young adults/older poeple etc and are often longish so you can choose to shorten it (e.g Lilian - Lily/Ann/Anna.)

Anyway back on topic: it's the last CTM of the series tonight!

Can't believe it's the end of the series! :( I cried during this one (okay, well I cry at most things!)

Chummy almost dying broke my heart :cry:

I prefer Sister Bernadette to her real name Sheila but I was so happy for her :D

• Upvote 1

Can't believe it's the end of the series! :( I cried during this one (okay, well I cry at most things!)

Chummy almost dying broke my heart :cry:

I prefer Sister Bernadette to her real name Sheila but I was so happy for her :D

:cry:

I like a lot of the more "old-fashioned" names because they're often quite timeless ans suit babies/children/young adults/older poeple etc and are often longish so you can choose to shorten it (e.g Lilian - Lily/Ann/Anna.)

I know a very young couple who named their new baby, Ava. I haven't heard that name in years.

Anyway back on topic: it's the last CTM of the series tonight!

I was bawling at several points too. Can't believe we have to wait for months for the new series! I love British TV, but sometimes their short seasons do bug me (as much as I love that they prefer quality over quantity).

I was bawling at several points too. Can't believe we have to wait for months for the new series! I love British TV, but sometimes their short seasons do bug me (as much as I love that they prefer quality over quantity).

I'd not thought about it before but you're right, the longest ones (apart from soaps which don't really stop) would be 12/13 weeks, they were Robin Hood, Merlin and Doctor Who which were primetime Saturday night shows...

Tonight's finale was epic! "Sheila" scrubbed up very nicely!

Yes, I loved the last episode. I seem to have cried at nearly every episode this season :oops:. The last episode was no exception.

• 5 months later...

I finished watching the first season earlier this week since Netflix has the first season. Anxiously awaiting for season 2 to be added, but I'm sure it will take a while.

I finished watching the first season earlier this week since Netflix has the first season. Anxiously awaiting for season 2 to be added, but I'm sure it will take a while.

You can watch season 2 online at PBS.org

• 2 weeks later...

The second season is now available on Netflix! I just bawled my way through the first episode- a longer than usual Christmas episode. It was delightful.

• 2 weeks later...

Jennifer Worth's second and third Midwife books are in the Kindle Deal of the Day today, for $1.99 each - Shadows of the Workhouse and Farewell to the East End . I read the library's copies, they're pretty good.

• 1 month later...

I LOVED this series. I was so impressed that Jennifer Worth stood up to Mike Leigh for the way her portrayed d.i.y. abortions in Vera Drake. I've actually had women asking me if that worked :angry-banghead: I'm all for pro choice, but if you choose to portray it in film, do so in a responsible way.

Oh jeez I've sorta gone OT again..putting myself in the corner now. :ymca: I know the VP have nothing to do with going to the corner but I love this emoticon and guess who just found all the "secret" ;) ones? How could you guys have hid these from me?!?!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...