IGNORED

Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin Webinar "Reclaiming Beauty"

Want More Babies

Bumping thread to report 1) E-Bot has announced on FB that the first session is being made free to the public (oh sqeeee...), and 2) 298 going x $44 = $13,112.

Yeah, with the caveat that there's limited "seating" so it's first-come, first-serve. I may not know tons about the internet, but it seems like a virtual classroom isn't really limited on "seats." So maybe that's code for "if we suspect you're not signing up for the right reasons, you get denied."

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An easy and cheep hair gel to make is flax seed gel.

2 Tbsp Whole Flax Seeds

1 cup water

Instructions:

Bring water to a boil. Stir the seeds into the water and reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until a gel-like lotion is formed. Strain through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a small bottle or jar. Add essential oils if desired and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

It will go moldy if you dont store it in the fridge. Its good for thin or pours hair. My friend with thick hair said that it made her brittle. I use a little drop to help contain my frizzy fly away hair. It dose not give me crunchy or wet looking hair. But, I use it in moderation.

Ah! So I made a couple batches of gel this way, using a nylon stocking and chopsticks to grate it out ;). The only thing is it was so slippery it didn't stay in my hair, it just slid out, I also couldn't hold in without it slidding through my finers. Alas, I was really in love with the prospect of making my own gel for 50cents and having it be all natural. Any suggestions to make it less slippery?

What's striking to me is how "dowdy" Victoria Botkin looks compared to the rest of the family. I always figured if families tend to share a certain "look". I kind of feel that Victoria Botkin kind of let herself go. Her husband looks slim and has a carefully manicured beard. Her daughters always look ready for a night out. Her sons look nice as well. I guess maybe the stress of their patriarchal lifestyle ages the mother more than anyone else?

Their eyes! In that photograph, AS and E look possessed! In fact, I thought the name fundies_like_zombies was the title of the photo. I was surprised to see 268 posts for that person; I was sure it was a name just for posting that photo.

Mrs. B does not seem to fit with her husband at all. I wonder what she really thinks of all of his beliefs.

I could never subsist on a beauty budget of $130 a year. The vast majority of my clothes come from thrift stores or sales at Target/K-Mart (for basic t-shirts, button-up shirts and so forth), but I have extremely sensitive skin and I can't use cheap brands. I try to cut costs wherever I can, - my scrub is literally a jar of brown sugar and olive oil - but there's no way I spend less than a few hundred a year including haircuts.

Elizabeth is looking kind of... puffy.

I wish I could get by on a beauty budget of $130 a year!

I try to shop thrift where I can or will make clothes out of left over fabrics.

However, being a pale Irish girl I sunburn very easilly and I have sensitive skin. Regular soap dries out my skin something fierce so I have to use moisturizing body wash.

I only really wear make up when going out somewhere but I can't get the cheap stuff.

I don't like the blush they're wearing. It looks too cartoony. :?

"We would like to eventually make the material available in another form, though due to the integral nature of the visuals in the powerpoint, we won't be producing CDs."

I wonder how many more years it will take before the Botkinettes discover that you can put a PowerPoint presentation on a CD.

Olivia at fresh modesty did a post.. seems like the Botkin girls invited some random bloggers/people over to their place for a "Natural cosmetics mixing day"

freshmodesty.blogspot.sg/2012/09/reclaiming-beauty-winner-and-make-up-day.html

I guess that's how they spend $130 or less a year...

But look at the raw materials in the picture she posted: Almond oil, avocado oil, then pigments, some other oils etc. Those things would come close to a 100$, I think, if the prices are not vastly different from what I would pay in Germany.

Making your own cosmetics can result in very unique and good for your skin type cosmetics, but it is not necessarily cheap if you use good stuff.

But look at the raw materials in the picture she posted: Almond oil, avocado oil, then pigments, some other oils etc. Those things would come close to a 100$, I think, if the prices are not vastly different from what I would pay in Germany.

Making your own cosmetics can result in very unique and good for your skin type cosmetics, but it is not necessarily cheap if you use good stuff.

They probably don't count the prices of these raw ingredients in their 130 per year total. I bet that they consider them "free" since they could also be used in cooking and are purchased in the grocery store by their mom. I've never purchased avocado oil but I've purchased Almond oil and Walnut oil for cooking. It was REALLY expensive stuff.

They're using now products, well, at least some of the haul is from now. It's a big seller on iherb. I'm waiting for the Botkins to pimp out their iherb affiliate link alongside recipes for skin goop.

What are they using for a preservative! :shock: ? Its one of the fundamental ingredients for people making cosmetics especially if you add pigments to oils. The oils will make a happy breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria. Not something I want on my face.

Annasophia even had the come hither gaze back then.

That's what I was thinking. Looks like she's trying a little duckface too :)

a-and-ex500.jpg

Why are they looking in one direction and their mom is gazing off in another? It is like she didn't want to be in the picture and trying to pretend that she was somewhere else.

Why are they looking in one direction and their mom is gazing off in another? It is like she didn't want to be in the picture and trying to pretend that she was somewhere else.

They are not looking at the camera, they're....leering at it, for god's sake. I think in an alternate universe those girls women have embraced their sexuality and are quite sensual.

Well, I know how I spend less than $130, but I'm pretty sure it's not how they do it. I don't wear make-up, I wear my hair in a pony-tail all the time. My husband cuts it for me and even that is only about once a year. I don't buy clothes unless mine are ratty. I have clothes older than a lot of the posters here. :) I spend *maybe* $50 on myself a year, if that. And that's for everything clothing/personal grooming related.

Oh! I just bought myself a new Diva cup, first in 10 yrs, not sure if that counts. They now say to get a new one every year, but when I bought mine originally, they were for 10 years. And with babies & nursing, it didn't have anywhere near 10 years of actual use. It was almost $50.

I am the least feminine woman probably ever. I think my shampoo/conditioner is about $30 a year (coupons!) and my lotion is $40 (sensitive skin) and then haircuts @ about $10 every 8 weeks. I'm over budget. I don't wear make-up, I don't use hair product, I don't paint my nails or get them "done". Crap, I forgot the soap. I spend money on soap. Wait is toothpaste in with "beauty" because I buy that too.

I could spend less than $130/year if I bought everything at the dollar store.

...not a Botkin-endorsed strategy? No? Must make everything oneself with expensive ingredients not found within, say, a bus trip of most urban families? God, I love the sweet stench of privilege in the morning.

Archived