IGNORED

Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin Webinar "Reclaiming Beauty"

Want More Babies

I still have memories of Sr. Annella trying to scrub the makeup from my face in the 6th grade. I just happened to be an Irish girl with natural "high color", not a painted faced jezebel. *I think "painted face jezebel" would be a good post level title. I think it was a pet name, my father said it so often.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice catch, thoughtful. No, I am drag queen trapped in a woman's body; Judy lines fall off my fingertips without thinking.

Love it!

I'm not a drag queen trapped in a woman's body. I am, however, an old movie addict who has some classics so ingrained that I could probably recite the entire dialog.

If the Botkins sisters only spend 130 dollars per year on clothes, makeup, etc. How much do there parents spend on them? How much are they claiming as business expenses? They are public speakers, if you pay a professional makeup artist to do your makeup before a speaking engagement that is considered for IRS purposes a legitimate deduction. They can also deduct dry cleaning bills, alterations, some hair services, manicures, wigs, and costume rentals as deductible expenses. I bet there tax deductible business expenses for beauty related items exceeds 130 dollars. Of course that will never get brought up in the presentation I am sure.

I wonder how they'll do the applying make-up section, since I doubt either of them will show themselves to their follows with a fresh, clean face to use as their 'canvas'.

edited to add: Now I have a second question. You know the old (?) southern saying in the States, "Never let your husband see you without make-up"? Think they let their father see them without make-up?

New exciting Liz Botkin post on FB. I get all excited when I know she is online on FB; I almost want to message her. Almost.

Who owns beauty? Who decides what’s beautiful? How much does what’s on the outside matter, if God looks at the heart? Where does modesty fit into all of this?

Today’s young Christian women have grown up in the most image-obsessed generation in history, a generation that worships some of the most twisted ideals of beauty the world has ever seen. But whether we love them or hate them… they tend to shape our own perceptions of what beauty is. Some of us accept its ideals, and struggle to fit into its mold – others of us are repulsed by it, concluding that physical beauty itself is immodest, worldly, and unspiritual, and reject the realm of beautification completely. But when all we’ve ever seen is the counterfeit the world offers, we can sometimes forget that the world did not create beauty – God did. And though we all know the world has a lot to say about image, we sometimes don’t realize how much God does too.

When faced with a beauty industry that runs on photoshop airbrushing, plastic surgery, starvation diets, grotesque catwalk styles, and billions of squandered dollars, it's time for Christian women to show the world what real beauty really looks like – one heart, one body, one face, one closet at a time. It's time to reclaim beauty.

This fall, the authors of "So Much More" and "It’s (Not That) Complicated" and producers of "Return of the Daughters" are launching an intensely practical, image-rich, 7-week webinar on the meaning and cultivation of beauty from the inside out. Join sisters Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin as they dive into Scripture for the answers to an issue of great importance and frustration to young women: personal image.

ah, and answering the question: Will this be online afterwards?

Yes! Both audio and visuals will be recorded together and made available for subscribers to access online, in case you miss a session and want to catch it later. The only thing you'll miss is the opportunity to chat in questions live.

Also know as, please PM Angri-la for her user name and password if you absolutely need to see yourself. This way, only one of us has to pay.

Already registered, so folks can pm me also should Angri-la be unable to keep up with the demand for Botkin beauty tips. :)

I plan on trying to listen and do simultanious comment here like I did with the Marriage webinar.

If anyone's interested in what the early church taught about "beauty" should read Tertullian:

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... ian27.html

It's lengthy, but a really fascinating look at what fashion and grooming practices were popular at the time of the early christians. Most outrageous quote: "I fear the neck, beset with pearl and emerald nooses, will give no room to the broadsword!"

Don't wear makeup and jewelry - be a martyr instead. Granted Tertullian was just one guy, but I don't see how the Botkins can call themselves christian and push this "make yourself pretty for your husband" agenda.

But Tertullian was a heretic! Seriously, he fell in with the Montanists and is considered a heretic, even though he came up with the idea of the Trinity. I read some of his works (in translation) in college and boy, he was a real piece of work.

All hail Angri-La and meda, for their willingness to take this on for the team. I can't wait to hear what the Botkinettes are cooking up.

I wonder how they'll do the applying make-up section, since I doubt either of them will show themselves to their follows with a fresh, clean face to use as their 'canvas'.

edited to add: Now I have a second question. You know the old (?) southern saying in the States, "Never let your husband see you without make-up"? Think they let their father see them without make-up?

The webinar is going to be audio with pp type presentations, it doesn't appear that the girls will be appearing as "talking heads". Maybe they will show makeup application on those line-drawing face pictures you see at the clinique counter to remind you how to put your eyeshadow on?

The webinar is going to be audio with pp type presentations, it doesn't appear that the girls will be appearing as "talking heads". Maybe they will show makeup application on those line-drawing face pictures you see at the clinique counter to remind you how to put your eyeshadow on?

Just a random story. For my cousin's wedding I was desperate for new makeup and this woman at Sephora taught me to do my eyes and foundation really without much effort. She didn't do what I've read/seen elsewhere because, as a glasses wearer, I often look ridiculous with what's in style for eyes. Plus, I'm really nearsighted so doing eye makeup is usually tough. Its so hard to teach a one size fits all makeup application technique.

Also, recently changed hairdressers. The guy I'm going to after tax and tip costs 70 dollars. But, amazingly, my thick hair barely needs more than good conditioner and some leave in stuff now to look nice. Even when it starts to frizz out on super hot days it looks okay. I totally call shennanigans on them being able to spend only 130 a year. I buy my shampoo and conditioner on major sales and with coupons, and I buy good brands but tend to not be picky if its not the "right" conditioner in the line. So if there's a discontinued type or packaging I buy up as much as I can (recently scored 2 huge bottle of Bumble & Bumble Jojoba conditioner for 10 bucks each). But, even with all this scrimping and not including the haircuts I manage to spend a ton. Even my tiny bag of makeup, only a couple of things which are from pricier brands, cost over 200.

I should say that I'm super low key and rarely wear makeup or do anything interesting with my hair. I still wear clothes I bought 5 years ago and frequent the thrift store and Talbots outlet. I buy shoes at the REI garage sale and on ebay. The Botkins might have more time to find sales and deals as they don't work a lot and have no responsibilities. I despise when these Bible thumpers lie. Lying is a violation of the ten commandments. But, when one of us violates the commandments they get their panties all up in a wad.

I am willing to bet each Botkinette spends more than $130 a year on their mousse. Seriously, someone email them and let them know the early nineties are over.

I spend more than $130 a year on my 5 year old's beauty and she gets all of her clothing handed down. The occasional chapstick, nail polish, pair of earrings and/or huge gaudy hair flower add up to at least $11 a month. Not to mention shampoo and conditioner. My 10 year old daughter is way over budget; all it takes is a tub of Manic Panic and we are at our limit without ever having dealt with nails and clothing and accessories. I am a very frugal person, also. $130 a year just is not realistic for most people.

If the 277 people listed as "going" on the webinar's FB page actually pony up $44 each, the Botkinettes will clear somewhere in excess of 12 grand on this thing. And, as with all their products, I suspect it's just one more vehicle for Western Conservatory's (read: Geoffrey B's) Dominionist/patriarchal propaganda. Be prepared for the Botkins' trademark convoluted verbiage and pretzel logic.

They say: "It's audio accompanied by a powerpoint presentation that's jam-packed with images, giving full illustrations and demonstrations of everything we're talking about. We determined we could fit more visual information into this format than talking-head video.... We would like to eventually make the material available in another form, though due to the integral nature of the visuals in the powerpoint, we won't be producing CDs. The recorded webinar sessions will, however, remain online for a while after the webinar has concluded, during which time people can continue to subscribe and listen/watch for a discounted price of $39."

That's right. You're paying $44 to watch a collection of live POWERPOINT presentations. So, like, a bunch of photos of the girls in cute outfits? "Here you can see our model... ahem... me... in a chic winter dress purchased off ebay. I'm not sure what the brand is, and that's not important. The important thing is that it's red, and that color suits me, as you can see." "I would like to interject that Elizabeth is clearly taking dominion by wearing a color that suits her. By being beautiful, we win people over to Christ."

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping thread to report 1) E-Bot has announced on FB that the first session is being made free to the public (oh sqeeee...), and 2) 298 going x $44 = $13,112.

Bumping thread to report 1) E-Bot has announced on FB that the first session is being made free to the public (oh sqeeee...), and 2) 298 going x $44 = $13,112.

Free first session? Oh yay, we can all have cocktails and live snark together. I'm sure Angri-la will have pretty cake. :dance:

On another note, does anyone else remember the whole figuring out the correct color "season" for your complection in the 80's? I remember that one of my mothers friends was some kind of color consultant, so my mom bought the book and we attempted to figure out our correct "season". My poor mom realized quickly that the whole concept really only worked for Caucasian women, because the particular combination of skin tone, hair, and eyes she had was none existent as an option. As for her confused offspring of mixed ethnicity, I was similarly SOL. If I remember correctly, my 9 year old self had "winter" skin and "summer" hair and eyes. It put a serious damper on my back to school wardrobe.

Maybe they're really into natural products? It occurred to me as I was restocking the rock_girl beauty cabinet this afternoon that I'm pretty cheap once you subtract the Jo Malone perfume addiction and steer me far, far, far away from the Mac counter. I use honey to wash my face and a $5 jar lasts about six months. I did use Cetaphil lotion on my skin up until a week or so ago but ran out and made do with just olive oil which I find I prefer. A big bottle of olive oil from my local deli is $8 and lasts me about four months. I use a crystal deodorant that's been kicking around for a year or so now. I think it was $4 originally? Bargain. And my shampoo is vinegar, baking soda and the love of Jesus. Jesus' love doesn't extent to conditioner, but a little bit of that olive oil does good things.

I do have a few indulgences... ipl treatments (for rosacea, promise, I care nothing for its collagen-tarting up effects!), massages, regular decollatage and arm peels to keep me free of freckles, manicures. If I had an unemployed sister, I wouldn't have to spring for massages or manicures and it's not too difficult to diy your own peels these days. If you're lucky enough not to have an expensive skin condition the ipl could definitely be done away with.

Hair removal can be taken care of with an epilator. A good one is an expensive investment but mine paid for itself after three months of not waxing. Sugaring and threading are dirt cheap, and again the unemployed sister would make diy possible. Haircuts? Unemployed sister, her sharp scissors and the Lord's grace guiding her hands.

It does seem possible to take care of personal needs very cheaply if 'natural' works well for your skin/hair type. But I do think the biggest thing the Botkins have going for them is that they appear to be roughly the same size. They can swap clothes and accessories back and forth and double their wardrobes instantly. That's a huge advantage.

Caring for your body naturally might come in dirty cheap, if your skin and hair can stand it (I ADORE cleansing with oil and honey, but my hair can't stand that baking soda stuff) but the Bots obviously use make-up, and add a sunscreen to the mix, and the number 150$ gets ridiculously low.

On another note, does anyone else remember the whole figuring out the correct color "season" for your complection in the 80's? I remember that one of my mothers friends was some kind of color consultant, so my mom bought the book and we attempted to figure out our correct "season". My poor mom realized quickly that the whole concept really only worked for Caucasian women, because the particular combination of skin tone, hair, and eyes she had was none existent as an option. As for her confused offspring of mixed ethnicity, I was similarly SOL. If I remember correctly, my 9 year old self had "winter" skin and "summer" hair and eyes. It put a serious damper on my back to school wardrobe.

I remember having my "Colours" done with my mom and friends. They served us glasses of champagne and I was only about 16 or so.

Winter and Summer - skin undertones were pink

Spring and Autumn - skin undertones were more olive

I can still do that now. Hold a pink and peach towel under my face. I look better with the pink. The peach makes me look sallow. My mom had to colour her hair for the session, since she had dyed it. I guess I would now, too.

I ended up being a "Winter" - all the pure, crayon colours

Sister was a "Summer" - more pastel colours of the same palette

Mom was "Spring" - lots of light yellows, peach,

Friend was "Autumn" - khaki, browns, rust

Everyone had their own version of each colour.

Even at the time, I wondered how that would work with black people. A friend me she had it done and was "Autumn".

*** I do look sick and washed out if I try to wear any "Autumn" colours by my face. Khaki pants are fine, shirts not so much...

Ooh, completely forgot sunscreen. I wouldn't count it as I get mine for free thanks to my health insurance but I easily go through $100 worth of the stuff each year. Although I am deathly pale and live in skin cancer central. I even wear sunscreen in winter.

My hair still does hate the no-poo (hate the name!) method but even baby shampoo makes my face itch if it drips down and I'm too tight to fork out $40 a bottle for the good stuff. Unfortunately, if I want to wash my hair I have to sit around with it coated in some sort of oil for hours prior to washing or risk a mess of tangled frizz while drying. It's fine while I'm studying but can't see it working long term. Still, if you're a SAHD you have all the time in the world to groom yourself.

Yes, the time factor. That does reduce grooming costs, I guess. If I made my rose-oil by myself (plucking rose petals, letting them dry, pour oil over it, let it sit...) and similar things, I wouldn't have to fork over 10€+ for a bottle of it. I can, on the other hand, earn a lot more money in the time it would take me to make it, so unless I had other reasons for making it myself, I'd actually waste money by doing so - a SAHD wouldn't, because she makes no own money.

The colour-thing never worked for me, because my skin has a definite pink undertone, while my hair and eyes would take me into the autumn-category. I look good in many shades of pink (although not neon-crazy!) and military-green as well as black, while brown makes me look only bla and uninteresting and white like a corpse. As a teen I would obsess over this, trying to get myself to match, but now I've simply dismissed it as a beauty concept not helpful to me.

And, much as I dislike objectifying people and judging them on their looks, they look at least as old as my daughter, who is nearly 34 (but still gets carded all the time).

I would say they look about the same age as me. I'm nearly 37. (though I did get carded Friday)

An easy and cheep hair gel to make is flax seed gel.

2 Tbsp Whole Flax Seeds

1 cup water

Instructions:

Bring water to a boil. Stir the seeds into the water and reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until a gel-like lotion is formed. Strain through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a small bottle or jar. Add essential oils if desired and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

It will go moldy if you dont store it in the fridge. Its good for thin or pours hair. My friend with thick hair said that it made her brittle. I use a little drop to help contain my frizzy fly away hair. It dose not give me crunchy or wet looking hair. But, I use it in moderation.

I am willing to bet each Botkinette spends more than $130 a year on their mousse. Seriously, someone email them and let them know the early nineties are over.

I spend more than $130 a year on my 5 year old's beauty and she gets all of her clothing handed down. The occasional chapstick, nail polish, pair of earrings and/or huge gaudy hair flower add up to at least $11 a month. Not to mention shampoo and conditioner. My 10 year old daughter is way over budget; all it takes is a tub of Manic Panic and we are at our limit without ever having dealt with nails and clothing and accessories. I am a very frugal person, also. $130 a year just is not realistic for most people.

You sound like a cool mom letting your daughters do things like that at their ages. :dance:

Archived