IGNORED

Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin Webinar "Reclaiming Beauty"

Want More Babies

If you go to the Facebook page for this event (https://www.facebook.com/events/372613339477699/) and click on the list of people who are 'Going', there is at least one interesting name: Natalie Nyquist. I thought she was smarter than to get mixed up with these nuts!

Holy shit, so did I - after what she's been through, I'd have thought she'd stay as far away from this particular train wreck as possible.

That's actually kind of disappointing. I'd hoped Natalie was breaking away from that mindset.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't even focus on the Robotkins in this pic -- all I can think is "Gee, Jackie Gleason looks thin!"

:D

REDjU.jpg

For anyone who doesn't get the reference:

gleason_andawaywego11.jpg

d110393dj8n.jpg

Wonder what AS and E would think of that checkered suit!

The English in that Ah The Life article was fucking diabolical. I wept for humanity. Well, Christianity.

I also want to know where in the Bible it says there's an obligation to be beautiful. The Robobotkins made that shit up.

Here are my beauty tips for going under £130 a year. Get a pair of clippers and get a comrade to shave your head (if you do it yourself you will miss bits). Don't bother with makeup. Borrow or nick hoodies and shirts from male comrades. You can get army boots from a stall or from army issue shops and they'll cost you under a tenner for used. Go for NATO issue, because of the toecaps. See, you got that for free.

I wonder if the $130 a year premise is not an attempt to sell false hope to the women at the lower end of the fundie socioeconomic ladder. It's been frequently discussed that the Quiverfull, fundie, birthing an army for God model is largely unsustainable in the long run and the extraordinary poverty those families live in has to be unappealing to anyone who has to live it or is considering living it. If you were a young woman and were looking at living this lifestyle and had to model yourself after that loon from Life in a Shoe whose kids sleep on Lowe's garage shelving or ZsuZsu whose home looks shabby and whose body looks more destroyed in each picture she posts, would you adopt such a life? If your family was forcing you into such a life, wouldn't you be horribly depressed at the prospect of looking and living like a drudge?

Never fear, Elizabeth and Anna Sofia are here to sell you a bill of goods. You too can look pretty on a pittance. You can find perfect clothes in your size at Goodwill. You can keep a perfectly tousled, highlighted mop of hair. You can have kissable but modest pouty lips. You can imagine yourself in a Southwestern styled parlor, perched on a leather couch, dressed in layers, with nary a zit or ruddy cheek to distract from your lovely visage. All on $130 a year. The message appeals to vanity both in terms of appearance but also to the idea that if one is smart enough one can sort of subvert the system and be lovely and well-clothed on less than a bottle of salon shampoo each month.

I can't help but see this as a form of propaganda from some of the richer fundies to convince the poorer fundies that this life is not only sustainable but attractive to boot. By the time these young women who have never been encouraged to think for themselves realize that it may take years for them to save for a decent winter coat under such a model, they're already pregnant and feeling guilty that they weren't as awesome as the Botkins. They take the bait and by the time they realize it's untenable, they're stuck.

Well, that and it's an easy way for the Botkin sisters to remain somewhat relevant and make an easy buck for their Daddy. But it's mostly propaganda, I think. A way to make those at the bottom of this movement think they too can look like the cover of a Harvest House romance novel on less than $11 a month, a pittance but probably less than many of these women will have if they have a dozen kids or live the life of a SAHD in a less affluent family.

Guest Anonymous

Holy shit, so did I - after what she's been through, I'd have thought she'd stay as far away from this particular train wreck as possible.

That's actually kind of disappointing. I'd hoped Natalie was breaking away from that mindset.

Add me to the list of folks wondering what the fuck Natalie is thinking.

Sad part is it IS a bill of goods.

If they want to live with a clothing/toiletries budget of under $130 (for whatever reason), they'd do better to tune out all advertising, and that very much includes things like this webinar and all the gauzy gauzy VF costume party propaganda.

As it is, when they realize just how much a bill of goods it is they'll be sorely disappointed, but worse, in the meantime it's just asking people to feel badly about themselves for no good reason. There's no need to look all dolled up like that, if you can't swing it it's okay, focus on something else - like, oh, I don't know, SKILLS? It's this trap that "everyone can be beautiful and it should take no effort or money either and if you can't pull it off you're doing it wrong" that's just poisonous. A lot of it is a hobby like anything else and if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. End of.

More than just the makeup though, I guess the VF thing bugs me because it's just like any other media stars thing - they want their followers to think they're normal people and that their life is the goal, when so many of their followers (as you can see) just aren't on that level because they haven't inherited fortunes and the lifestyle says to have a passel of kids and not allow them (or yourself) to attain so many of the "normal" paths to making more money. So people compare themselves to what they see on TV or in these webinars... just turn that crap off, it's healthier!

Sad part is it IS a bill of goods.

If they want to live with a clothing/toiletries budget of under $130 (for whatever reason), they'd do better to tune out all advertising, and that very much includes things like this webinar and all the gauzy gauzy VF costume party propaganda.

As it is, when they realize just how much a bill of goods it is they'll be sorely disappointed, but worse, in the meantime it's just asking people to feel badly about themselves for no good reason. There's no need to look all dolled up like that, if you can't swing it it's okay, focus on something else - like, oh, I don't know, SKILLS? It's this trap that "everyone can be beautiful and it should take no effort or money either and if you can't pull it off you're doing it wrong" that's just poisonous. A lot of it is a hobby like anything else and if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. End of.

More than just the makeup though, I guess the VF thing bugs me because it's just like any other media stars thing - they want their followers to think they're normal people and that their life is the goal, when so many of their followers (as you can see) just aren't on that level because they haven't inherited fortunes and the lifestyle says to have a passel of kids and not allow them (or yourself) to attain so many of the "normal" paths to making more money. So people compare themselves to what they see on TV or in these webinars... just turn that crap off, it's healthier!

The problem is that these girls have only one way of attracting a husband and that's by having him see her across a room and lusting after her. Skills and personality are meaningless in the super fundy world. Its such a sad situation for the girls. They are, on one hand, taught to be modest and godly etc.... But, then they are expected to lure men in without talking to them or flirting in any non-verbal way. These girls are desperate to find someone and leave the house, so they will fall prey to whatever useless seminar that is marketed towards them. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them have eating disorders and do other harmful things to themselves out of frustration and a need for control.

THey talk about courageous, visionary, and beautiful womanhood but they just set up a situation where women reach for some unattainable goal and are saddled with ridiculous constraints in the process. I bet that a lot of these girls are smart enough and creative enough to have achieved something other than a clean house in their lives, but they will never be able to use those smarts or creativity. Its such a waste.

I don't wear makeup, but I do spent over $130 a year on "beauty supplies." These include facial and body creams/lotions (absolutely necessary in a dry climate like Arizona), facial hair removers and hair dye (two boxes every six weeks because I have so much hair on my head). Also, hair scrunchies, I'm always losing them or having them end up as destroyed cat toys.

ETA: I'm not interested in being beautiful. I am interested in having lovely long hair that people admire. But beauty? It's only skin-deep.

Of course I am going to shell out the 44 bucks for this. I want to be shown how I did it all wrong, and still ended up with the best husband on the planet (for me). Oh yes, I cannot wait to learn about "Sprucing up my Temple" from these poor, deluded

"ladies". The last blush of youth is fading from their cheeks, and in the distance? The sound of pruning shears.

I saw the phrase "Blue Lagoon", and my mind immediately went to the Brooke Shields nudeathon. I can't imagine what the Robotkinettes would do stranded on an island with A MAN. I remember it only because it was my first nude movie.

I will, of course, need to make sure my daughter is nowhere around, as I absolutely do not want her malleable mind hearing such drivel, but I would be proud to write up some fabtastic recaps.

I had to edit this. The photo posted upthread makes them look older than I am, and I am old enough to be...well, their older sister, but still... damn. I hope they can teach me how to get that Closer to Jesus hair and the "I am not a jezebel" painted face! I hope I can ask questions.

:dance:

Angri-la, I cannot wait to see your recaps.

:dance:

Angri-la, I cannot wait to see your recaps.

I even joined the FB page. I am way too into this, and I think my friends are going to worry about me. I accidentally "Liked" Vision Forum the other day!

Ah yes, the infamous "Bringing Home Rebecca" blog post from 2006 - I sometimes wonder how ol' Rebecca is faring these days. For those unfamiliar, it's worth a read:

ahthelife.blogspot.com/2006/09/bringing-home-rebecca.html

Look closely at the photos, and you'll spot Rushdoony-ite John Robert Moore, along with the Reins damsels and their eternally supporting parents.

"Bringing Home Rebecca" has been edited heavily since it was first published. They've taken out the line where they described this event as "freeing Rebecca from that slave labour camp" for instance. People called them out in righteous anger, pointing out that there are people really dying in actual slave labour camps, and that this was just insulting. They also took out the line about Rebecca's husband being her "new boss". A couple of other things too.

Kishiria wrote:

"Bringing Home Rebecca" has been edited heavily since it was first published. They've taken out the line where they described this event as "freeing Rebecca from that slave labour camp" for instance. People called them out in righteous anger, pointing out that there are people really dying in actual slave labour camps, and that this was just insulting. They also took out the line about Rebecca's husband being her "new boss". A couple of other things too.

Damn it! (and i rarely cuss, but ... damn it!) Did anybody happen to save a copy of the original? Their kind of smug hyperbole *must* be recorded for the vile bile that it is!!!!!

THey left in the shot of the exit interview where she names her fiance her new employer though!

Her writing was horrendous, and that comes from someone with bad handwriting.

I really wonder how Rebecca is faring these days working for "da man" she married. I wonder if she yearns to bring home a paycheck with the ability to spend it as she pleases or if she knows what real servitude is like now.

I wonder if the $130 a year premise is not an attempt to sell false hope to the women at the lower end of the fundie socioeconomic ladder. It's been frequently discussed that the Quiverfull, fundie, birthing an army for God model is largely unsustainable in the long run and the extraordinary poverty those families live in has to be unappealing to anyone who has to live it or is considering living it. If you were a young woman and were looking at living this lifestyle and had to model yourself after that loon from Life in a Shoe whose kids sleep on Lowe's garage shelving or ZsuZsu whose home looks shabby and whose body looks more destroyed in each picture she posts, would you adopt such a life? If your family was forcing you into such a life, wouldn't you be horribly depressed at the prospect of looking and living like a drudge?

Never fear, Elizabeth and Anna Sofia are here to sell you a bill of goods. You too can look pretty on a pittance. You can find perfect clothes in your size at Goodwill. You can keep a perfectly tousled, highlighted mop of hair. You can have kissable but modest pouty lips. You can imagine yourself in a Southwestern styled parlor, perched on a leather couch, dressed in layers, with nary a zit or ruddy cheek to distract from your lovely visage. All on $130 a year. The message appeals to vanity both in terms of appearance but also to the idea that if one is smart enough one can sort of subvert the system and be lovely and well-clothed on less than a bottle of salon shampoo each month.

I can't help but see this as a form of propaganda from some of the richer fundies to convince the poorer fundies that this life is not only sustainable but attractive to boot. By the time these young women who have never been encouraged to think for themselves realize that it may take years for them to save for a decent winter coat under such a model, they're already pregnant and feeling guilty that they weren't as awesome as the Botkins. They take the bait and by the time they realize it's untenable, they're stuck.

Well, that and it's an easy way for the Botkin sisters to remain somewhat relevant and make an easy buck for their Daddy. But it's mostly propaganda, I think. A way to make those at the bottom of this movement think they too can look like the cover of a Harvest House romance novel on less than $11 a month, a pittance but probably less than many of these women will have if they have a dozen kids or live the life of a SAHD in a less affluent family.

THIS NAILS IT. So, so true. An attempt to make this life relevant, attractive and aspirational for lower tier fundies.

See us? See us pout? See us play in expensive costumes? See us with our "just fucked" hair dos? You can strive for this, and we will show you how. Cash or credit?

Having missed the initial Rebecca Coleman discussion because I was not yet aware of FJ (the horror!) I am fascinated with this chic

There was an update in 2007. Her subservience in terms of her time being for what her husband wants her to do and her husband telling her when they are taking time off. Not a discussion or consideration of what she wants. Sounds like if he decided that he wanted her to knit him a sweater that she'd take up knitting, even if she hated it. This level of subservience still shocks me.

http://ahthelife.blogspot.com/search?q=rebecca+coleman

Guest Anonymous
Having missed the initial Rebecca Coleman discussion because I was not yet aware of FJ (the horror!) I am fascinated with this chic

There was an update in 2007. Her subservience in terms of her time being for what her husband wants her to do and her husband telling her when they are taking time off. Not a discussion or consideration of what she wants. Sounds like if he decided that he wanted her to knit him a sweater that she'd take up knitting, even if she hated it. This level of subservience still shocks me.

http://ahthelife.blogspot.com/search?q=rebecca+coleman

I can't believe these people seriously posted this swill. I damn near threw up all over my keyboard. Oh well, a nice glass of Bailey's should help settle my stomach.

Barrrrrrph.

Yeah the last update was in 2007, that's five years ago. I wonder how she feels about all this now?

Meanwhile I work a regular full time job, but wow, I get to listen to what I want, eat lunch when I want (within reason, but it's not limited to 12 to 12:30 or anything), go to the bathroom whenever I want without anyone measuring the time... and have marketable skills!!

The FB page for this event has been updated several times. Latest offerings include an Edwardian-era advertisement for "sanitized tapeworms," pics of A-S and E preening next to a dressmaker's form, invite decline from VF bachelor uncle Nathaniel Darnell ("I'll be sure to keep it in mind for lady friends I know"), and heartfelt expression of relief from John Robert Moore ("After literally three years of hearing y'all talk about doing a project like this, I can't tell you how relieved I am to see you finally launch it. And I'm certain it will be worth the wait. Keep it up!")

The drama - the anticipation - why, it's almost as riveting as the Olympics!!!

:lol:

Barrrrrrph.

Yeah the last update was in 2007, that's five years ago. I wonder how she feels about all this now?

Meanwhile I work a regular full time job, but wow, I get to listen to what I want, eat lunch when I want (within reason, but it's not limited to 12 to 12:30 or anything), go to the bathroom whenever I want without anyone measuring the time... and have marketable skills!!

It seems that she used to have a blog on her husband's site "Patriot Ranch". Patriot Ranch was her husband's website devoted to shooting things. The blog, according to the wayback machine, didn't get posts much past a year after she got married. And the hubby's entire site is down now. Below are wayback machine links.

Either she couldn't keep up the happy charade or her hubby told her that blogging was not to be a hobby for her. It sounds like he got sick of his own site or didn't pay the monthly fee. And from her first anniversary post is sounds like she was trying to spin the controlling situation she was in to sound sweet. I suspect that she is only smart enough to spin it so much.

http://tinyurl.com/9rb3lp9

http://tinyurl.com/9wxvg2f

http://www.facebook.com/EmeraldLilyTX

She's on facebook. It was tough to find because Rebecca Coleman is very popular name!!!

HEre's what I can tell. She's still not a mother. She loves to post pictures of her online purchases online and seems to be buying some books on motherhood and adopting. I sorta feel sorry for her. I bet she feels like a failure for not having kids. I know some SAHWs who expected to have kids but never did and they eventually all go back work after a while, even if they were experimenting with fertility treatments or adoption they needed to go back to work to keep from losing their minds. If she went back even part time she'd be such a hypocrite after the big to-do about being "brought home". I bet she'd never hear the end of it from her "friends" and family.

Ok, I'm in. The sanitized tapeworms were the tipping point....I am now breathless with anticipation for the "image rich" content promised. I can only imagine how these two are going to airbrush. Spinsterhood. Also, didn't Nathanial D try to court one of the Botkins and got the brush off?

Wow. Just... o.O

Siang has arrived. Or Pasiang, as he is known among his friends, is here to learn English from Pastor Bacon. Pasiang is a very diligent student. He has much to learn about American culture. Here are a few things he has been introduced to since arriving.

Pumping gas…. so easy, even a jungle boy can do it.

I can't imagine being an exchange student to the US and ending up in a fundie family like that!! I suppose if he was introduced by a pastor he has to have some idea what he's in for but still!!!!

I'd like to hope that sometime in the intervening five years she woke up, smelled the coffee, and got the heck out of there but... sigh. That Facebook puts the end to such thoughts...

Wow. Just... o.O

I can't imagine being an exchange student to the US and ending up in a fundie family like that!! I suppose if he was introduced by a pastor he has to have some idea what he's in for but still!!!!

I'd like to hope that sometime in the intervening five years she woke up, smelled the coffee, and got the heck out of there but... sigh. That Facebook puts the end to such thoughts...

JUNGLE BOY????? :icon-redface: :icon-redface: :icon-redface: :icon-redface: :icon-redface: :icon-redface:

JUNGLE BOY????? :icon-redface: :icon-redface: :icon-redface: :icon-redface: :icon-redface: :icon-redface:

WTF

At least he's an exchange student and isn't stuck there...for a second I thought they'd adopted him. Ew poor boy.

I feel sorry for her, that one year one article was so creepy. Calling her husband her boss, ostensibly as a joke but not really. And she didn't have many positive things to say about not working, did she? Certainly nothing that benefitted her, except "having breakfast and lunch when I choose"....um well I get that anyway, try flexitime. And the "being available to my husband at any time of the day and night" was also creepy and weird. Firstly because that sounds slave-like, and secondly because you don't need to stay home to do that, you just need a mobile phone.

Archived