IGNORED

This is what creepy looks like: Covenant Wedding

Koala

Scroll through all of the pics. I swear you won't believe your eyes. The fundies have stepped the crazy up a notch. Ready? Here is is:

Covenant Ceremony Wedding Style

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2012/07/covenant-ceremony-questions-and-answers.html

Also file under: 1 of the many reasons I'm always thrilled when fundies aren't able to breed.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
The covenant signing came next. Terry read his vows to his daughter:

I will protect you from unqualified men.

I will teach you God's principles of life.

I will pray for you and for God's choice of your life partner.

So what makes a man qualified? Let's look to Terry for an example, shall we?

He must:

Cheat on you.

Treat your children like shit.

Shoot your dog.

That sounds lovely, doesn't it?

Guest Anonymous

On a totally shallow note, in addition to the creepifying symbolism, that ring is fucking hideous. Poor kid didn't even get a pretty bauble out of pledging her hymen to her lord and master daddy.

Reading Treasures from a Shoebox always leaves me wishing I could scrub my brain.

**ETA:

I will keep myself pure for my husband.

I will obtain your blessing on my courtship.

I will wait for your full release before entering into marriage.

Way to go Cheryl, on making a skin crawlingly horrible ceremony sound even grosser by using words that evoke sexual imagery! Fundies are the most sex obsessed people on the internet. Purity my ass.

I wonder if they ever question why they've modelled the purity vow ceremony after a wedding. The logical conclusion to comparing the father-daughter relationship to marriage or replacing other men with dear old dad?

Also, third to last picture. I'm betting the two girls in the middle make their own skirts.

The umbrella on the ring is a nice touch. :(

Daddy gets to enjoy being the sole focus of his daughter's burgeoning sexuality for the next ten or so years. *VOMIT*

"Full release" is something you get with a happy ending massage.

Wow. That's creepy. They're now having marriage-type ceremonies for purity vows? With a contract between father and daughter? It's almost incestuous, and completely pagan, since the Bible mentions no where of having a ceremony dedicated to a woman's virginity.

I just noticed the teenage boys in the back row. Sorry guys, no poontang for you, ever.

I wonder if those girls in the third-to-last picture have a matching outfit for their barbie dolls. Because Barbie is the only person who can get away with that kind of fabric.

Wow. That's creepy. They're now having marriage-type ceremonies for purity vows? With a contract between father and daughter? It's almost incestuous, and completely pagan, since the Bible mentions no where of having a ceremony dedicated to a woman's virginity.

That ceremony was actually classier than some of the fundie weddings we've seen! Proof that guarding the hymen is way more important than eventually selling it.

I'm kinda new to this and had never seen this particular blog before... let me just say that her birth stories were horrifying!!

So, um....she had a faux wedding ceremony with her father? Complete with a ring and a fake 'marriage license'? I showed the pictures to my husband and he honestly turned his head away in disgust.

Creeeeeeepy. And that ring is ugly. I find it telling that they do this at 17. "Well, you're about to become a legal adult, so here's how we're going to keep you under our thumb."

Guest Anonymous
I'm kinda new to this and had never seen this particular blog before... let me just say that her birth stories were horrifying!!

Everything about her is horrifying. It's hard to rank fundies on a scale according to how terrible they are, but Cheryl and Terry are way up there for me.

The umbrella on the ring is a nice touch. :(

Daddy gets to enjoy being the sole focus of his daughter's burgeoning sexuality for the next ten or so years. *VOMIT*

"Full release" is something you get with a happy ending massage.

Ten years? Pleeeez, she's seventeen. By this time next year her daddy will have her sold ...ah, I mean released... to a new headship.

Anyway, this is seriously creepy. The only pictures missing are those from the wedding/covenant night...

It just all seems so unnecessary, like making this a 'covenent' and making it public is a way to control her, and shame her if she makes different choices down the line. There's absolutely nothing wrong with saving one's virginity for marriage, IMO, but that's an individual decision. I understand wanting what you believe is best for them, but it's creepy when parents are over-involved in their kids' sexuality.

Also, from the next post down about the insane juice fast, I had a little WTF moment:

Mid-morning was when I discovered that we were out of carrots and I had a melt down. Poor planning on my part had led to this moment in which my mind realized my body was reacting to a serious lack of nutrients. I hadn't felt that vulnerable except during those really rare moments of the fast when I had inadvertently gone much too long without my juice. Talk about turning into a whiny baby! Bleh! My hero-husband Terry immediately responded by sending Stephanie to the store.
You know what makes me thankful for my husband? When he does something for me HIMSELF. Not when he gets someone else to do it. But hey, that's just me...

Guest Anonymous
Ten years? Pleeeez, she's seventeen. By this time next year her daddy will have her sold ...ah, I mean released... to a new headship.

Sarah Maxwell, Sarah Mally, the Botkin sisters, and the eldest J'slaves beg to differ.

Holy Mother of God! I thought they were setting up for a wedding. Then I saw what it really was. I too am speechless. :o

Sarah Maxwell, Sarah Mally, the Botkin sisters, and the eldest J'slaves beg to differ.

Yup. You don't go through all this for a girl that's about to be sold off.

I just read the whole entry and saw the ring. That is one ugly ring. Couldn't it have an emerald or ruby, or some nice stone?

Ew, ew and ewwwww!

In addition to the psychological incest, I was also creeped out by the false notion that Haley was taking an active role in this. Seriously, what choice did she have here? Did she even have the option to say, "no thanks, you and mom have one helluva dysfunctional relationship yourselves and Dad is the last person on earth who should have an input into my future love life"?

What's the backstory on the parents and their relationship? I'm curious what makes them especially creepy rather than the standard level of creepy...

Archived