IGNORED

This is what creepy looks like: Covenant Wedding

Koala

He had a whole string of infidelity, including an affair that wife discovered when she was pregnant.

He shot her dog.

She wasn't an angel either, with her own infidelity.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The creepiest part of this for me was that horrendous fabric. I'm sorry, but what in the hell is that pink shiny stuff? They look like life sized dolls but not even real ones. More like those discount knock off Barbies you could get for like a dollar. Jesus.

The purity ring/ball/fake wedding thing should creep me out, but I've seen it so many times with fundies that I don't really feel shocked or surprised anymore. It's common place now.

Guest Anonymous
What's the backstory on the parents and their relationship? I'm curious what makes them especially creepy rather than the standard level of creepy...

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/5950/T ... -a-Shoebox

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8627

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8806

Gleefully beating children, killing dogs, cheating on one another, and doing it all while talking about how much better than everyone else they are. Enjoy the links, I hope you haven't eaten anything lately.

**ETA:

He had a whole string of infidelity, including an affair that wife discovered when she was pregnant.

He shot her dog.

And when Cheryl's daughter from her first marriage told her mom about the affair Cheryl treated her like shit and called her a liar. That daughter was also called unlovable and was not allowed to hold her baby siblings because Terry hated her. It makes me sick to think about it.

That truly is an ugly ring. Aside from the ickyness of the whole 'pledging to stay a virgin until Daddy finds me a husband' part of it, I wonder if having these silly pseudo-ceremonies is the only way these fundie folk can satisfy the need for ritual. I think human beings have a natural inclination to enjoy ritual and ceremony. A ceremony helps you to feel connected to the community, whether it's your church or school or whatever. Because these fundies eschew the mainstream, there's no room in fundie-land for any ceremonies or rituals so they have to resort to this kind of thing to fill that need. If you sit around the kitchen table and decide that Sally will pledge her hymen to Daddy until he decides she can get married, it just doesn't have the same sort of officialness that a ceremony can provide.

Agreed that the pink skirt is awful. Looks like a sewing project done by a 12-year-old just learning to use the machine and practicing on crummy fabric.

He shot her dog.

But they're godly and going to heaven, while I am going to hell. Got it.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, wait. Isn't Cheryl the one who feels sorry for us because we're all so bitter and hateful and godless? But she's happy that we persecute her by talking about her blog since that gives her the opportunity to minister to us and bring us to Jesus by her shining example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not up to digging through that cesspool of a blog today. (Maybe that was posted on her facebook page after one of the times she shut the blog down and then opened it again?)

Ew, ew and ewwwww!

In addition to the psychological incest, I was also creeped out by the false notion that Haley was taking an active role in this. Seriously, what choice did she have here? Did she even have the option to say, "no thanks, you and mom have one helluva dysfunctional relationship yourselves and Dad is the last person on earth who should have an input into my future love life"?

That gets you the ring with the frowny face.

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/5950/T ... -a-Shoebox

http://www.freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8627

http://www.freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8806

Gleefully beating children, killing dogs, cheating on one another, and doing it all while talking about how much better than everyone else they are. Enjoy the links, I hope you haven't eaten anything lately.

**ETA:

And when Cheryl's daughter from her first marriage told her mom about the affair Cheryl treated her like shit and called her a liar. That daughter was also called unlovable and was not allowed to hold her baby siblings because Terry hated her. It makes me sick to think about it.

Whoa. It's like Fundies meets Jerry Springer.

How do they not see the incestuous overtones of this? She essentially just "married" her father.

Isn't her father pretty much one of the unqualified men he just promised to protect her from?

Seriously, fundies, listen up! All the creepy ceremonies in the world will not prevent heartache in your kids especially if their examples are dysfunctional hypocrites.

Anyone else creeped out by the key hovering near the 'opening' in the heart that's on the ring? Shouldn't legos be a more appropriate symbol?

we had chosen then to keep it private. Only Pastor, his wife and sons had been present. During the years since then, we've come to realize that our daughters' peers play a major role not just in their lives, but also in their ability to keep this covenant.

So what she is suggesting is that the teenage boys watching this ritual will be so in awe they won't even think of sneaking a kiss? Or maybe she is suggesting that Haley's girlfriends will be so moved by this ceremony that they will immediately run and tattletale if they think Haley isn't keeping pure thoughts?

:roll:

Well one way to keep her pure is to dress her in the frumpiest, least-flattering clothes possible. I'd say they were successful on that front. That outfit was really ridiculous.

(Had to edit my pronouns for clarity.)

So what she is suggesting is that the teenage boys watching this ritual will be so in awe they won't even think of sneaking a kiss? Or maybe they are suggesting that Haley's girlfriends will be so moved by this ceremony that they will tattletale if they think Haley isn't keeping pure thoughts?

:roll:

Well one way to keep her pure is to dress her in the frumpiest, least-flattering clothes possible. I'd say they were successful on that front. That outfit was really ridiculous.

I think the public ceremony was meant to serve exactly that purpose.

Ew, ew and ewwwww!

In addition to the psychological incest, I was also creeped out by the false notion that Haley was taking an active role in this. Seriously, what choice did she have here? Did she even have the option to say, "no thanks, you and mom have one helluva dysfunctional relationship yourselves and Dad is the last person on earth who should have an input into my future love life"?

You know, and not saying that it's going on here at all, but eventually there's going to be one of those purity setups where daddy IS actually "guarding his daughter's purity with his sword." Or something equally tawdry that turns out to be incest/child sexual abuse/rape.

ETA rape.

The set-up was entirely artless and down-to-heel. But at least daddy and daughter weren't wearing wedding attire.

They just haven't thought of it yet. Give them time...

That's beyond creepy :(

Those people are highly disturbed... I have a 16 year old daughter, she is currently in a summer camp trip visiting Scandinavia (Denmark/Sweden/Norway) with other teenagers, boys and girls mind you :D

A normal live of a 16 year old with interaction outside the family and both gender friends....

I can't imagine what is the life of this fundie girls, it's so sad.

Holy Mother of God! I thought they were setting up for a wedding. Then I saw what it really was. I too am speechless. :o

^What NurseNell said. :shock:

Excuse me while I contemplate washing my brain out with wine in a few hours.

The set-up was entirely artless and down-to-heel. But at least daddy and daughter weren't wearing wedding attire.

They just haven't thought of it yet. Give them time..

Oh good now PINTEREST can be swamped with over-the-top ideas for Purity Covenant Ceremonies--the frumpier the better. Just no to the wedding attire--please!! Too, too sick and too, too sick-making! (Love that phrase)

Archived