IGNORED

United Bates of America {merged}

Lillian

I'm vegetarian partly because of the Buddhist principal of ahimsa or not harming other sentient beings. Being vegetarian or vegan is common among Western Buddhists, but is less common in traditional Buddhist countries. I embraced vegetarianism at times before I embraced Buddhism.

I think that Seventh Day Adventist vegetarianism come from the belief that Adam and Eve were vegetarian before the Fall and so God intended for humankind to be veg.

I do think that my husband believes in the dominion over the animals thing and that veganism is a cult.

I think this book should be mandatory reading for anyone who believes in dominion. It's an exploration of animal welfare, man's duty to animals, and what dominion means. It was written by a former Bush speechwriter and the language used is tragically beautiful. It also cuts straight through some of the emotional manipulation of other animal welfare literature, which I think can shut some people off.

I'm a bit surprised by how expensive it still is on Amazon, but really -- it's worth a read/surprise present for the significant other.

This thread also made me remember that Gil Bates and I have a name in common. He owes the Gils of the world an apology.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone went off on Kelly for using such horrible food in her recipes in the comments gilbatesfamily.com/2011/02/01/more-recipes/

I was surprised Kelly actually replied to it.

I'm more surprised she was gracious and actually acknowledge they were eating crap. Hopefully she does something about it!

Someone went off on Kelly for using such horrible food in her recipes in the comments gilbatesfamily.com/2011/02/01/more-recipes/

I was surprised Kelly actually replied to it.

Damn. Was that an FJer? That was extremely informative. I'm actually saving that bc it's so damn awesome. I avoid that crap, too, but I don't have all that written out. Awesome post!!

I'm more surprised she was gracious and actually acknowledge they were eating crap. Hopefully she does something about it!

I, too, am surprised she was kind in her reply. She could have just deleted it. But did you notice that whenever Kelly replies, she uses Gil's sign in? Does she even have her own? Or does she need him to type his password bc she obviously can't be trusted?

Honestly I do think this family is just different from the Duggars as in more genuine. Kelly seems to have real emotions, like her children. Yes they are still giving them bad options in life, but life is more nuanced than the Duggars as being the only option for QF.

And I think that she's also very right about why people don't change unhealthy habits.... being used to certain products, certain things. Comfort food is just very powerful.

Honestly I do think this family is just different from the Duggars as in more genuine. Kelly seems to have real emotions, like her children. Yes they are still giving them bad options in life, but life is more nuanced than the Duggars as being the only option for QF.

And I think that she's also very right about why people don't change unhealthy habits.... being used to certain products, certain things. Comfort food is just very powerful.

Yes, that was a nice and humble answer, I don't know much about the Bateses but this is different from the know-it-all fundy bloggers I'm use to read

I think that the cool whip lightens the filling and makes it more spreadable. I'm not a big PB fan, but I can see how this pie would be delicious to someone who was. I was sort of thinking that it might be good with Justin's organic chocolate and hazelnut spread (its like Nutella but better). Or maybe almond butter.... But, I've been on a very low sugar diet so all of this stuff sounds good to me due to the deprivation! :-)

Here is my version:

1 chocolate crumb crust

8 oz. cream cheese

1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)

1-3/4 c. peanut butter

2 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 c. (4 oz.) Cool Whip

Beat cheese until light & fluffy. Beat in milk & peanut butter until smooth. Stir & blend in lemon juice & vanilla. Fold in Cool Whip and put in pie shell. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. 8-10 servings

And yes, it is very delicious (of course, I like peanut butter). I think the Cool Whip helps make it smooth-textured (not a lot of Cool Whip in this version).

tumblr_m6w22o4zFF1r8mb1io3_1280.jpg

An old image of the Bates' family. Things sure have changed.

ETA: That's Amy talking about how the Duggars and Bates are similar

tumblr_m6w22o4zFF1r8mb1io3_1280.jpg

An old image of the Bates' family. Things sure have changed.

ETA: That's Amy talking about how the Duggars and Bates are similar

I can't believe Sarah didn't appreciate Zach's wide stance! I thought that was the mark of True Manhood.

I think that the cool whip lightens the filling and makes it more spreadable. I'm not a big PB fan, but I can see how this pie would be delicious to someone who was. I was sort of thinking that it might be good with Justin's organic chocolate and hazelnut spread (its like Nutella but better). Or maybe almond butter.... But, I've been on a very low sugar diet so all of this stuff sounds good to me due to the deprivation! :-)

Still, why not just used whipped cream? Why this obsession with Cool Whip?

I can't believe Sarah didn't appreciate Zach's wide stance! I thought that was the mark of True Manhood.

:lol: :lol: I did even notice that!! Obviously she doesn't look at - or appreciate - the photo stylings of Christopher Maxwell

Still, why not just used whipped cream? Why this obsession with Cool Whip?

I'm not a fan of Cool Whip, but I think with something like peanut butter, whipped cream would just disapprear. CW is sturdy enough to mix with the heavy texture of PB.

Wonder what that marshmallow whip would taste like in this recipe?

I hate to admit this but we have neighborhood picnics every month(technically it is an LDS ward picnic but now that some non-LDS like me have moved in the neighborhood they changed the name). The peanut butter pie is a favorite and shows up almost every month. Ill admit it tatses really good. I couldn't eat it everyday but once a month if it shows up at the picnic I'll eat that over some of the interesting soup based casseroles.

OMG! Did you know that the Bates also named a miscarried fetus Jubilee?

Welcome Baby #17: Callie-Anna Rose Bates

posted by Bates Family

The Lord blessed us with another addition to our family on August 2, 2009. After having 2 previous miscarriages (“Jewel†& â€Jubileeâ€), we were grateful for her safe arrival! With on-going house remodeling, extra workers on site, and a positive test for beta strep infection; we decided to have a hospital birth. This was a big change after having the previous 14 at home with our midwife Debi Church. Our OBGYN Dr. George Vicks and his nurse practitioner Amy Bradkins proved to be a tremendous comfort as they went out of their way to provide us with an atmosphere as close to home as possible! Callie Rose means “beautiful rose†and Anna means “God is graciousâ€.

Family News | August 2, 2009 5:48 am

I had read that and wondered if the Duggars consciously copied the name.

OMG! Did you know that the Bates also named a miscarried fetus Jubilee?

Yup. And the Duggars named their last baby Josie, when there's already a Josie Bates. Plus the Bateses have given their last 2 babies J-names. They love getting these little digs in at each other.

Yup. And the Duggars named their last baby Josie, when there's already a Josie Bates. Plus the Bateses have given their last 2 babies J-names. They love getting these little digs in at each other.

I noticed that, too. Although Judson is a really ugly name. The duggars and bates used to joke about they both had a Jackson. I'm not sure who is older though. Kelly had a miscarriage before Judson, too, so I wonder what that baby was named. BUT!!! That puts Kelly's count at 22. J'chelle is only at 21. I can definitely see J'chelle freaking out over that and seriously trying for another one just to match - and then outdo - Kelly.

ETA: Apparently that baby (after Judson - I thought he was the youngest) was named Zion. No word yet on which Jackson is older.

ETA:

Gill and Kelly Bates are the proud parents of Zach, Michaella, Erin, Lawson, Nathan, Alyssa, Tori, Trace, Carlin, Josie, Katie, Jackson, Warden, Isaiah, Addallee "Addie", Ellie, Callie, Judson, and Jeb

The bates have three miscarried babies: Jewel and Jubilee and Zion

There for making their total:22 kids and counting. 19 kids on earth and 3 in heaven!

Seriously, TLC, you can't even get someone with basic knowledge of the English language to write out your fan page? It took me a few times to realize they were were trying to say "therefore".

ETA: Found it!

Jackson Ezekiel Bates February 17 2002

Jackson Levi Duggar May 23, 2004

So the Bates' Jackson is older. And since the Duggar Jackson was the last boy, I certainly hope the Duggars don't have two more boys named Judson and Jeb.

Two frenemies friends naming their miscarraiges the same name? That's just fuckin sick and wierd.

Two frenemies friends naming their miscarraiges the same name? That's just fuckin sick and wierd.

Yes it is!! It's only thing to name your child after the dead child of a friend or family member. I've heard of people of doing it and have sort of done it myself. But to name a dead baby after a friends dead baby? A little disturbing.

I also just noticed that Jackson's Bates initials are JEB. And the youngest Bates kid is named Jeb. Anyhow, if anyone is curious, here are the birthdays of everyone.

Gil Bates January 1, 1965

Kelly Jo Bates October 26, 1966

Zachary Gilvin Bates December 30, 1988

Michaella Christan Bates January 23, 1990

Erin Elise Bates May, 2 1991

William Lawson Bates July 27, 1992

Kenneth Nathaniel (Nathan) Bates August 29, 1993

Alyssa Joy Bates November 9, 1994

Tori Layne Bates December 20, 1995

Trace Whitfield Bates February 1, 1997

Carlin Brianne Bates April 11, 1998

Josie Kellyn Bates August 4, 1999

Katie Grace Bates October 5, 2000

Jackson Ezekiel Bates February 17 2002

Warden Justice Bates May 19, 2003

Isaiah Courage Bates October 16, 2004

Addallee Hope Bates February 17 2006

Ellie Bridget Bates April 28, 2007

Callie-Anna Rose Bates August 2, 2009

Judson Wyatt Bates September 15, 2010

Jeb Colton Bates February 1, 2012

Can't really blame the Duggars for naming their child Jackson - the families did not associate with one another when he was born. Now, Josie and Jubilee were copies of the Bateses but let's face it, the Duggars have limited themselves when they chose to use all "J" names. Too bad they didn't choose "Z"; they'd have much fewer children now... or we'd have a whole lot of "Jinger-type" Z names.

Can't really blame the Duggars for naming their child Jackson - the families did not associate with one another when he was born. Now, Josie and Jubilee were copies of the Bateses but let's face it, the Duggars have limited themselves when they chose to use all "J" names. Too bad they didn't choose "Z"; they'd have much fewer children now... or we'd have a whole lot of "Jinger-type" Z names.

Like Zsuzsanna.

Archived