IGNORED

United Bates of America {merged}

Lillian

Must share this recent Aldi's experience...please humor me.....

My local Aldi's was selling a (medium to large) whole red pepper and a whole yellow pepper shrink wrapped together for .59 cents. The next week they were up to $1.29 but buy one, get one free. This same week, the other grocery stores were selling peppers for $2.99/lb.

I bought so many, I just cut them up into strips, left them in a bowl out all day, each day, for everyone to nibble on as they walked by.

A 1lb bag of baby carrots (or regular sized carrots cut into baby carrot size -> couldn't tell the difference) for .59.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, bananacat, and Fae T, too. I haven't met any pushy vegans. I suppose they must exist, but I haven't met them and I'm head of the local vegetarian meetup. There was a LTE to Runner's World from a defensive carnivore complaining about a recent article they had featuring ultramarathoner Scott Jurek who is vegan.

I don't know where my husband got the idea that veganism was cultish. Church? Faux Newz?

I've noticed a lot of comics that demonize it. I remember one about nursing in public where a woman was cutting up a chicken breast for her child in a restaurant and a veg couple said "Must you do that in public?" Chicken breast feeding .. get it? Yeah, it was stupid. I get the point there were making, and I appreciate it, but it also makes vegetarian/vegans look like assholes. I think it's just easy (and fun) for the media to pick on people who don't eat meat. It doesn't really bother me, because I really don't care, but I do find it annoying. A lot more people are turning away from meat and I suspect the meat industry is behind the demonization. Can't be losing any of that money.

:clap: :clap:

I love to feed people my faux meat without telling them first. Not to be a bitch (and these people are my friends, not strangers) but because it opens a new world of things to eat. And it also takes a bit of the "I don't know if I want to eat at your house" stigma. People assume I like on nuts and berries. I don't. First off, I don't like nuts. And Secondly, I love my faux meat. Love it. I've dated meat eaters and the father of my children is a meat eater. When we got pizza, we did the half and half thing. Not a big deal.

I've had vegan ice cream. (My daughter had dairy issues, much worse than mine so we do eat these things for other reasons) It's not bad. The only time I get a bit pushy is when I go to family functions (like thanksgiving) and I have to bring all my own stuff. If you're inviting me, make some dishes I can eat. And when I bring my own food, and make enough to share with everyone, don't get all offended by it.

it's like there's this line when you talk about it, even when people ask you why, that you are automatically condemning other people. I really believe everyone make their own choices and does what they are comfortable with. But if you ask me why it might for reasons you could adopt if you wanted to as opposed to a "I'm allergic" kind of things.

I totally get that what are you eating? One friend was "I'm so happy you want to do the groceries because I was like I,m gonna buy veggies." I was well I still eat grains.... and proteins.... I mean honestly... lol

And it's also like suddenly people have to right to ask you about what you are eating, if you get enough protein. I think next time I'll ask them if they get enough veggies/fruits lol

There is a culture of being poor too and not questioning what you've learned about your practices as poor persons...

This.

I kind of think it's what keeps the Duggars/Bateses 'in their place'.

it's like there's this line when you talk about it, even when people ask you why, that you are automatically condemning other people. I really believe everyone make their own choices and does what they are comfortable with. But if you ask me why it might for reasons you could adopt if you wanted to as opposed to a "I'm allergic" kind of things.

I totally get that what are you eating? One friend was "I'm so happy you want to do the groceries because I was like I,m gonna buy veggies." I was well I still eat grains.... and proteins.... I mean honestly... lol

And it's also like suddenly people have to right to ask you about what you are eating, if you get enough protein. I think next time I'll ask them if they get enough veggies/fruits lol

Oh I hate that. It's so damn annoying. "Well how do they get protein?" umm .. protein isn't just meat ya know. There's lots of protein in peanut butter which my children happen to love, as do I. People assume they can ask all sorts of things. I suppose it's no different than when people adopt. Others assume they can ask whatever questions they want. We have this obsession about being in everyones lives. I suppose that why reality shows are so damn popular. Or maybe the reality shows made us more nosey. Hmm That would be an interesting thing to look into.

Aldi's is opening up at least 2 stores near me (both urban based stores in formerly abandoned buildings) and something called Bottom Dollar foods which I've heard is related. I love TJ's which is another subsidiary of the same company that owns Aldi.

I wasn't too excited about Aldi's coming into my 'hood but after all of your descriptions of the fresh produce deals I actually am now!!!!!

I have known some rude vegetarians and vegans. People who told me that I did not give it a proper try (~10 years, btw) or people who asked me why I thought my own health was more important than an animal's life when I stopped being vegetarian due to health issues. And then there are things like "Well, I personally choose a more compassionate mode of eating, I know some people just are not as compassionate..." type martyrdom speeches. But I have known just as many asshole carnivores if not many, many more; people who think conscientiousness is a quirk and that the rest of us are idiots. I have come to the conclusion that food choices are very personal and highly likely to bring out the asshole in us all. We all think we are doing it right. I have always thought I was doing my very very best to feed my family well, and I think we all feel that way.

Oh I hate that. It's so damn annoying. "Well how do they get protein?" umm .. protein isn't just meat ya know. There's lots of protein in peanut butter which my children happen to love, as do I.

Lentils are high in protein and delicious.

Aldi's is opening up at least 2 stores near me (both urban based stores in formerly abandoned buildings) and something called Bottom Dollar foods which I've heard is related. I love TJ's which is another subsidiary of the same company that owns Aldi.

I wasn't too excited about Aldi's coming into my 'hood but after all of your descriptions of the fresh produce deals I actually am now!!!!!

I had to give ours a second try before I liked it. I have agoraphobia and made the mistake of going during the first week it opened. The store was so crowded I had to leave to stave off a panic attack. I love it now.

When you go, don't forget your quarter for the shopping cart. Also, be sure to bring bags with you to carry stuff home.

Why don't these idiot fundies take advantage of the deal on chicken legs? In my town, 10 lbs of chicken legs can be had for between 5 and 6 dollars on sale.

I have known some rude vegetarians and vegans. People who told me that I did not give it a proper try (~10 years, btw) or people who asked me why I thought my own health was more important than an animal's life when I stopped being vegetarian due to health issues. And then there are things like "Well, I personally choose a more compassionate mode of eating, I know some people just are not as compassionate..." type martyrdom speeches. But I have known just as many asshole carnivores if not many, many more; people who think conscientiousness is a quirk and that the rest of us are idiots. I have come to the conclusion that food choices are very personal and highly likely to bring out the asshole in us all. We all think we are doing it right. I have always thought I was doing my very very best to feed my family well, and I think we all feel that way.

Oh yes.. THIS!

My big thing is respecting other's choices, but I do feel that some of those who take a 'stance' whether it be on Vegetarianism/ Religion/Childrearing add any life choice. Forget one thing.

MANNERS. It appears having an attitude of 'My way is better' is a license to forget the social niceties.

I've met my fair number of obnoxious vegans/vegetarians. I've met many nice ones, too, but occasionally you'll stumble across one of those "I am a lactose-free, gluten-free, ovo-vegetarian, and it just makes me feel so great I'm really making a difference, you know? It's just a completely different way of eating, you know?" ... Dude, shut your mouth. I don't care if you eat your brown rice with your quinoa and your soya meat replacement and your kale smoothie, but I'm going to have a big sirloin steak with pepper sauce and french fries and mayonaise, and I refuse to feel like a bad person for having it.

I just noticed yesterday that the Aldi's in Fayetteville is gone.

AW NOES!! Where will the Duggars get their tater tots now?

AW NOES!! Where will the Duggars get their tater tots now?

Wal-Mart, duh! If the Wal-Mart closes, they'll just have to plant a tater tot shrubbery.

Wal-Mart, duh! If the Wal-Mart closes, they'll just have to plant a tater tot shrubbery.

Planting a tater tot shrubbery would equate to farming and gardening. The Duggars are too speshul to use their dozens of acres of farmland for something as common as farming.

Thank you, bananacat, and Fae T, too. I haven't met any pushy vegans. I suppose they must exist, but I haven't met them and I'm head of the local vegetarian meetup. There was a LTE to Runner's World from a defensive carnivore complaining about a recent article they had featuring ultramarathoner Scott Jurek who is vegan.

I don't know where my husband got the idea that veganism was cultish. Church? Faux Newz?

I have to agree with you guys - I've met way more people who are angry at people who don't eat meat than people who are angry at those who do. It's bizarre. I know I might sound biased being a vegetarian, but I actually only became that way a couple of years ago, so for most of my life including a fair bit of my adult life I ate meat. I never felt preached at by vegetarians. I have noticed that since becoming a vegetarian everyone who knows has some sort of opinion on my diet and health, which I never used to experience before. I also suspect a lot of people lash out arguing over the top about how natural it is to eat meat because subconsiously they feel guilty or somehow threatened.

Because I became vegetarian I obviously felt it was important, but it was something to me where it didn't seem like "just another choice" that needs respecting, because there is clear harm and no clear benefit (except taste) by pretty much all measures. I don't think it's like someone choosing a religion or someone choosing a degree or someone choosing to wear certain things or someone choosing to homeschool.

Planting a tater tot shrubbery would equate to farming and gardening. The Duggars are too speshul to use their dozens of acres of farmland for something as common as farming.

I don't know, I think if they had to choose between farming or never having tater tot casserole again, they'd plant an entire tater tot shrubbery farm and give it to one of their kids to run à la Smuggar's car lot.

you can laugh at their recipes, but I have made their peanut butter pie recipe and it is FANTASTIC. It is not good for you but it is freaking peanut butter pie so if you think it is a diet food your delusional going in. Tastes as good as anything I've eaten in a restaurant. Just keep it cold or it will melt.

This looks so fancy and if you’re a peanut butter lover, you’ll really love this!

PEANUT BUTTER PIE (Chay Balletto)

1 (8oz.) cream cheese softened

2c. powdered sugar

1c. peanut butter

1 (16oz.) cool whip

melted peanut butter & chocolate syrup topping

2 graham cracker pie crust

*Mix cream cheese & sugar. Add cool whip. Add peanut butter. Place mix in pie crusts. Drizzle with peanut butter & chocolate syrup. Store in freezer. Let soften slightly to serve.

you can laugh at their recipes, but I have made their peanut butter pie recipe and it is FANTASTIC. It is not good for you but it is freaking peanut butter pie so if you think it is a diet food your delusional going in. Tastes as good as anything I've eaten in a restaurant. Just keep it cold or it will melt.

This looks so fancy and if you’re a peanut butter lover, you’ll really love this!

PEANUT BUTTER PIE (Chay Balletto)

1 (8oz.) cream cheese softened

2c. powdered sugar

1c. peanut butter

1 (16oz.) cool whip

melted peanut butter & chocolate syrup topping

2 graham cracker pie crust

*Mix cream cheese & sugar. Add cool whip. Add peanut butter. Place mix in pie crusts. Drizzle with peanut butter & chocolate syrup. Store in freezer. Let soften slightly to serve.

On my over with my spoon.

The leghumpers over on the 19KAC facebook page are as annoying as heck, they posted the video sneak peak two hours ago. *eyeroll*

Ugh, why would anyone put cool whip inside a pie filling? Why not just put it on top, and why not just use whipped cream? Also, peanut butter mixed with cream cheese isn't very appetizing. I can find a million recipes for PB pie through the magic of google that would taste a million times better than that foul recipe. I just do not get it why they want to mix Cool Whip into all their pie fillings! At least there's not mayo in that one though.

Ugh, why would anyone put cool whip inside a pie filling? Why not just put it on top, and why not just use whipped cream? Also, peanut butter mixed with cream cheese isn't very appetizing. I can find a million recipes for PB pie through the magic of google that would taste a million times better than that foul recipe. I just do not get it why they want to mix Cool Whip into all their pie fillings! At least there's not mayo in that one though.

I think that the cool whip lightens the filling and makes it more spreadable. I'm not a big PB fan, but I can see how this pie would be delicious to someone who was. I was sort of thinking that it might be good with Justin's organic chocolate and hazelnut spread (its like Nutella but better). Or maybe almond butter.... But, I've been on a very low sugar diet so all of this stuff sounds good to me due to the deprivation! :-)

I have to agree with you guys - I've met way more people who are angry at people who don't eat meat than people who are angry at those who do. It's bizarre. I know I might sound biased being a vegetarian, but I actually only became that way a couple of years ago, so for most of my life including a fair bit of my adult life I ate meat. I never felt preached at by vegetarians. I have noticed that since becoming a vegetarian everyone who knows has some sort of opinion on my diet and health, which I never used to experience before. I also suspect a lot of people lash out arguing over the top about how natural it is to eat meat because subconsiously they feel guilty or somehow threatened.

Because I became vegetarian I obviously felt it was important, but it was something to me where it didn't seem like "just another choice" that needs respecting, because there is clear harm and no clear benefit (except taste) by pretty much all measures. I don't think it's like someone choosing a religion or someone choosing a degree or someone choosing to wear certain things or someone choosing to homeschool.

My dad is very respectful of my choice. It took him a little while, but now he actually calls me to tell me he found some new faux meat thing and he wants to buy it for me to taste. He's pretty awesome.

My mother on the other hand is annoying. While she respects it - sort of - she thinks its entirely appropriate to tell people how I used to meat, like it's an embarrassing thing or something. I've never hidden the fact that I used to eat meat. I was not raised a vegetarian so of course I ate meat. I've also never hid the fact that when I did eat meat, I liked my steaks rare. And chik-fil-a had the best nuggets. That was over a decade ago and I'm not ashamed of it. But she treats it like some dirty little gossip secret and makes a huge deal about it. What's embarrassing is how she tells it. "Oh she used to be a HUGE meat eater. Oh yeah. She liked her steaks bloody and rare. She ate meat all the time" (That's not entirely true) And she says it in this "ha ha ha I got you" tone. Really speaks to her maturity. Ugh.

Archived