IGNORED

United Bates of America {merged}

Lillian

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite the opposite of the Seventh-Day Adventists, also a somewhat 'fundy' church

Oh, I didn't realize that 7th Day Aventists had food issues. My future SIL is the only 7th Day I've met and she's crazy obsessed with food. She goes on long diatribes about her own food choices and the problems with the food choices of others. I'm her fave target in the family b/c I'm overweight. After a few years of her verbal abuse and everyone else's acceptance of it as normal we basically cut them out of our lives. I'm sure most of it is that she's f---cked up but perhaps her craziness is fueled by a religious wackiness too?

Oh, I didn't realize that 7th Day Aventists had food issues. My future SIL is the only 7th Day I've met and she's crazy obsessed with food. She goes on long diatribes about her own food choices and the problems with the food choices of others. I'm her fave target in the family b/c I'm overweight. After a few years of her verbal abuse and everyone else's acceptance of it as normal we basically cut them out of our lives. I'm sure most of it is that she's f---cked up but perhaps her craziness is fueled by a religious wackiness too?

They have lots and lots of food issues. Many are vegetarian or vegan. It is encouraged by the church, I am not sure what the Biblical justification is.

They have lots and lots of food issues. Many are vegetarian or vegan. It is encouraged by the church, I am not sure what the Biblical justification is.

I don't know the details but I think the basic idea is that your body is a gift from God, and hence you should take care of it by eating well and exercising.

I have a friend who is 7th day adventist and they do encourage vegetarianism according to him. His family was not veg but they did eat kosher, for the same reasons.

Eh, I've stopped wondering how people justify sh*t with the Bible. I could probably more easily find a justification for veganism in the Bible than Pa Keller's justification for using grape juice instead of wine. The Bible is just one big verbal Rohrshock test. I just abhore when they then try to tell you you're wrong. Or when it becomes so nuts that one's children suffer.

I'm vegetarian/vegan and while I have no biblical reasoning for it, I did have someone tell me that god gave us dominion over the animals so we could eat them, which I took as them telling me it was a sin to not eat meat. They tried to say they weren't but the double talk was odd. I was in high school so it was a while ago. Anyhow, I brought up that if all life is sacred and you go around saying that god says all life has value, then so do animals. You can't rant and rave about abortion and then go eat at KFC. Doesn't work that way.

I'm not saying that that's my reasoning (it's not) but I wonder if that's this churches reasoning..

See, this is what I mean. To tell someone that it is a sin to NOT eat meat is silly. G-d gave us dominion over animals doesn't translate into vegetarian=sinner. Argh. The Bible spells out a lot of things pretty clearly and its up to the individual to believe it or not. But, then these wack jobs go around and make up some insane interpretations and then call other people sinners.

You can't argue with them, crazy will always win unfortunately. I bet a good leg humper could find a Biblical justification for the Bate's recipe for eating "poor man's steak" weekly. If someone here can do I'm sending you a free pack of bologna! :-)

That whole chicken in a can thing is one of the nastiest grossest ickyest things I've EVER seen. I thought they were talking about the canned cut up chicken, like tuna fish in a can - that's bad enough.

As someone upthread pointed out, whole chickens are really cheap compared to other meats and go on sale all the time. Making roasted chicken is one of the easiest things on the planet to prepare, even for 20 people. You could easily roast 3-4 whole chickens and shred them up. My skin is crawling from that damn picture!

That whole chicken in a can thing is one of the nastiest grossest ickyest things I've EVER seen. I thought they were talking about the canned cut up chicken, like tuna fish in a can - that's bad enough.

I know - it's making me queasy. Every time I look at this thread I have to scroll past those pictures really fast!

As someone upthread pointed out, whole chickens are really cheap compared to other meats and go on sale all the time. Making roasted chicken is one of the easiest things on the planet to prepare, even for 20 people. You could easily roast 3-4 whole chickens and shred them up. My skin is crawling from that damn picture!

I think the Bates were using the shredded chicken in a can. Just someone found this particular canned chicken when searching the interwebs. If you google canned chicken the whole chicken in a can thing pops up first. The more pedestrian shredded or cubed chicken in a can is not as newsworthy!

I still don't get how the Bates family can hunt but then buys processed meat. I have worked with many hunters, some of whom have large families and they have to eat venison daily in order to use it up before the next hunting season rolls around.

I think the Bates were using the shredded chicken in a can. Just someone found this particular canned chicken when searching the interwebs. If you google canned chicken the whole chicken in a can thing pops up first. The more pedestrian shredded or cubed chicken in a can is not as newsworthy!

I still don't get how the Bates family can hunt but then buys processed meat. I have worked with many hunters, some of whom have large families and they have to eat venison daily in order to use it up before the next hunting season rolls around.

I went to a U-Pick strawberry in June and when we arrived the owners were eating McDonald's... we were kind of baffled... Anyway, can you imagine how many freezers would be needed to keep the meat for 19 people year round?

There is a culture of being poor too and not questioning what you've learned about your practices as poor persons...

I went to a U-Pick strawberry in June and when we arrived the owners were eating McDonald's... we were kind of baffled... Anyway, can you imagine how many freezers would be needed to keep the meat for 19 people year round?

There is a culture of being poor too and not questioning what you've learned about your practices as poor persons...

Maybe they're not particularly good hunters? ;)

I'm vegetarian partly because of the Buddhist principal of ahimsa or not harming other sentient beings. Being vegetarian or vegan is common among Western Buddhists, but is less common in traditional Buddhist countries. I embraced vegetarianism at times before I embraced Buddhism.

I think that Seventh Day Adventist vegetarianism come from the belief that Adam and Eve were vegetarian before the Fall and so God intended for humankind to be veg.

I do think that my husband believes in the dominion over the animals thing and that veganism is a cult.

I'm vegetarian partly because of the Buddhist principal of ahimsa or not harming other sentient beings. Being vegetarian or vegan is common among Western Buddhists, but is less common in traditional Buddhist countries. I embraced vegetarianism at times before I embraced Buddhism.

I think that Seventh Day Adventist vegetarianism come from the belief that Adam and Eve were vegetarian before the Fall and so God intended for humankind to be veg.

I do think that my husband believes in the dominion over the animals thing and that veganism is a cult.

I agree with you here. I don't believe in harming other living creatures. Just my thing. I've never heard of veganism as a cult. Ever. Why does he think this? I know some are really shitty and in your face and some are just really stupid, but that doesn't make it a cult.

I agree with you here. I don't believe in harming other living creatures. Just my thing. I've never heard of veganism as a cult. Ever. Why does he think this? I know some are really shitty and in your face and some are just really stupid, but that doesn't make it a cult.

They way vegans can look down on people for eating meat is not very nice(I am a vegan...but I don't shove it down your face, and will eat meat if they accidentally put it in my food). They can have a holier-than-thou attitude that is very similar to religious fanatics.

They way vegans can look down on people for eating meat is not very nice(I am a vegan...but I don't shove it down your face, and will eat meat if they accidentally put it in my food). They can have a holier-than-thou attitude that is very similar to religious fanatics.

That can said about any type of group though. I don't shove it in people's faces either, but I won't eat meat if it's put in my food. Someone else will eat it. I really don't believe I'm snobby about it. The only reason I tell people about it is if food will be involved, because it's kind of important that point. All of my friends eat meat and they've never called me out on being a bitch about it (and they've called me out on other things). Maybe I'm not just around enough (as in any) vegetarians/vegans to notice this

We've just bought a third of a steer from our Feed Store owner here. It'll fit in our big chest freezer. There's only 3 of us here, so we'll be set for quite a while. Well, our good friend often comes over for movie night, so there'll be 4 2x a week...It'll be packaged professionally to discourage freezer burn.

The Bates ought to know someone like this, a feed store owner who keeps a few steer and pigs and sells them processed. Oh wait. That's right-they would have to buy those skinny horses some feed to be on a friendly basis with a feed store owner. :(

Nevermind.

Honestly, I've met many more obnoxious meat-eaters than obnoxious vegetarians/vegans. This is primarily because there are more meat-eaters, but it's more than that. It seems like a lot of people get really defensive anytime someone "confesses" that they are a vegetarian so they just assume the vegetarian will lecture them and they take a preemptive strike against them. Or even in circles of all meat-eaters, just the mere mention of vegetarianism will make one person get all angry and defensive about eating meat, or to whine about vegetarians are wrong somehow. It's like there are people who feel bad about eating meat so they feel like they constantly need to justify it to themselves and everyone else even when nobody actually cares about them eating meat. Or else they're paranoid and think that vegetarians are out to forcibly slap the buffalo wings out of their hand or something. I've met maybe one pushy vegetarian, but tons of meat-eaters who make a BFD about it. And the pressuring goes in that direction too. My friend used to be a vegetarian, except chicken wings because her boyfriend harped on her until she ate some. Now she has a different boyfriend and she's no longer vegetarian at all because he nagged and pressured and whined so many times that she started eating meat just to shut him up. Obvious relationship issues aside, the meat-eater was the pushy one in that case. She was my best friend for a long time and I also had a serious boyfriend who was vegan and neither of them ever pressured people to eat less meat. The closest it ever came was simply asking for shared foods like pizza to have some non-meat option available for them. Oh, and the bf asked me to try vegan ice cream because it tastes really good, but he never tried to make me stop eating regular ice cream.

Honestly, I've met many more obnoxious meat-eaters than obnoxious vegetarians/vegans. This is primarily because there are more meat-eaters, but it's more than that. It seems like a lot of people get really defensive anytime someone "confesses" that they are a vegetarian so they just assume the vegetarian will lecture them and they take a preemptive strike against them. Or even in circles of all meat-eaters, just the mere mention of vegetarianism will make one person get all angry and defensive about eating meat, or to whine about vegetarians are wrong somehow. It's like there are people who feel bad about eating meat so they feel like they constantly need to justify it to themselves and everyone else even when nobody actually cares about them eating meat. Or else they're paranoid and think that vegetarians are out to forcibly slap the buffalo wings out of their hand or something. I've met maybe one pushy vegetarian, but tons of meat-eaters who make a BFD about it. And the pressuring goes in that direction too. My friend used to be a vegetarian, except chicken wings because her boyfriend harped on her until she ate some. Now she has a different boyfriend and she's no longer vegetarian at all because he nagged and pressured and whined so many times that she started eating meat just to shut him up. Obvious relationship issues aside, the meat-eater was the pushy one in that case. She was my best friend for a long time and I also had a serious boyfriend who was vegan and neither of them ever pressured people to eat less meat. The closest it ever came was simply asking for shared foods like pizza to have some non-meat option available for them. Oh, and the bf asked me to try vegan ice cream because it tastes really good, but he never tried to make me stop eating regular ice cream.

:clap: :clap:

I love to feed people my faux meat without telling them first. Not to be a bitch (and these people are my friends, not strangers) but because it opens a new world of things to eat. And it also takes a bit of the "I don't know if I want to eat at your house" stigma. People assume I like on nuts and berries. I don't. First off, I don't like nuts. And Secondly, I love my faux meat. Love it. I've dated meat eaters and the father of my children is a meat eater. When we got pizza, we did the half and half thing. Not a big deal.

I've had vegan ice cream. (My daughter had dairy issues, much worse than mine so we do eat these things for other reasons) It's not bad. The only time I get a bit pushy is when I go to family functions (like thanksgiving) and I have to bring all my own stuff. If you're inviting me, make some dishes I can eat. And when I bring my own food, and make enough to share with everyone, don't get all offended by it.

I posted the chicken in the can picture, I couldn't resist. I'm sure they use "typical" canned chicken, but anytime I hear about canned meat, that is my immediate thought.

Thank you, bananacat, and Fae T, too. I haven't met any pushy vegans. I suppose they must exist, but I haven't met them and I'm head of the local vegetarian meetup. There was a LTE to Runner's World from a defensive carnivore complaining about a recent article they had featuring ultramarathoner Scott Jurek who is vegan.

I don't know where my husband got the idea that veganism was cultish. Church? Faux Newz?

Must share this recent Aldi's experience...please humor me.....

My local Aldi's was selling a (medium to large) whole red pepper and a whole yellow pepper shrink wrapped together for .59 cents. The next week they were up to $1.29 but buy one, get one free. This same week, the other grocery stores were selling peppers for $2.99/lb.

I bought so many, I just cut them up into strips, left them in a bowl out all day, each day, for everyone to nibble on as they walked by.

A 1lb bag of baby carrots (or regular sized carrots cut into baby carrot size -> couldn't tell the difference) for .59.

Archived