IGNORED

United Bates of America {merged}

Lillian

Ditto on the canned chicken. Never knew that existed until reading this. Very disgusting.

My parents did this all the time growing up. Throw some italian dressing in a bag with the chicken and let it sit for the day. Simple. Also, crock pots are incredibly simple as well. Just toss it all together in the morning and there's zero effort in making dinner. Zero.

You can, but I was thinking along the lines of not being able to use them at produce stands or at the local farmers market. And if they shop at Aldi, like the duggars, they may not really have a decent variety of fresh fruits and veggies and meats from which to choose. And that's all assuming Aldi's even takes food stamps. We have a few places like that around here and they do not accept food stamps or coupons. I remember the duggars mentioning that they don't use coupons bc the store they go to doesn't take them. If they don't take coupons they may not accept food stamps. Also, the stores around here, don't have fresh fruits or meats. At all. They have some veggies, but the selection isn't all that great and you pretty much need to eat it within a day or two.

Our local farmer's market has many booths that take food stamps. I think there is a national effort to make this true for the entire country, although I would not be surprised if rural TN was behind the trend. Still, they shop at a normal supermarket so I imagine there is fresh chicken.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with emmiedahl. What with Gil bragging about using the ER for his kids' medical care, they'd never accept a handout from the ebil gubmint, even St. Ronnie Raygun handing out his cheese or ketchup (as a vegetable).

Remember when the Duggars first started going there? They were living with 16 or 17 kids in 1000sq ft house!

It was later revealed that the house was actually 1800 sf., but still, waaay to small for a family of that size. No A/C in the attic where the boys slept for years of Tennessee heat and humidity is, frankly, criminal, IMO.

I agree with emmiedahl. What with Gil bragging about using the ER for his kids' medical care, they'd never accept a handout from the ebil gubmint, even St. Ronnie Raygun handing out his cheese or ketchup (as a vegetable).

It was later revealed that the house was actually 1800 sf., but still, waaay to small for a family of that size. No A/C in the attic where the boys slept for years of Tennessee heat and humidity is, frankly, criminal, IMO.

Are you serious? They staged the house to be smaller for ratings and crap? Such shit. I know they definitely said something about it being 1000 sq ft bc I commented on how their house was half the size of my parents'. But yeah, still too small for that size. And no AC in the attic?! I was in my attic for half an hour the other day and I was dripping when I got out. Poor kids )-:

Our local farmer's market has many booths that take food stamps. I think there is a national effort to make this true for the entire country, although I would not be surprised if rural TN was behind the trend. Still, they shop at a normal supermarket so I imagine there is fresh chicken.

Yup it's nation wide. FWIW the area that the Bates live in have great upicks, and farm stands and farmers markets. They could easily find someone locally raising chickens or turkeys and buy in bulk and save tons. They could take the herd out to a upick and load up on green beans, squash and a lot of nutritious food and can it for winter.

Color me naive. I never knew canned chicken even existed before reading that messipe. *vomit smiley here*

I buy canned chicken breast sometimes to make quick chicken salad sandwiches. :o

Maybe they avoid crock pots because it'd still take 4-5 large crocks to produce a meal for everyone?

All I see in this thread is the idolization of the perpetrator of a massacre/probably the first Grand Dragon of the KKK. After that my brain went white with rage and I couldn't process anything else. I mean, I've seen that picture before, but every time I see it, it makes me so angry and disgusted with the racist idiocy.

I buy canned chicken breast sometimes to make quick chicken salad sandwiches. :o

Maybe they avoid crock pots because it'd still take 4-5 large crocks to produce a meal for everyone?

The large electric turkey roasters are great for using as crock pots for large batches.

FWIW the area that the Bates live in have great upicks, and farm stands and farmers markets. They could easily find someone locally raising chickens or turkeys and buy in bulk and save tons. They could take the herd out to a upick and load up on green beans, squash and a lot of nutritious food and can it for winter.

That would require work on Gil and Kelly's part, and would cut into time available for sweet fellowship.

Hey, that link had a pic of everyone's favorite patriot, the founder of the KKK! :doh:

Here's what makes it worse, and I can't believe nobody on here has mentioned it before. (Or maybe they have?) Kelly Bates has two adopted sisters. One is mixed race and the other may be mixed or just black. The post the Bates Family had on their blog about her brother dying in May says her "sister Beth" had a baby Braylon. Look at sister Beth's picture posted there.

Then I looked up the dead brother's obit http://stei-23923.tributes.com/show/Ken ... m-93892574 which lists their sisters. Then I found her step-father's obit (which lists her as Kelly Jo, btw) http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/mi ... -wife.html. From there I found her mother's facebook page and 4 sisters' facebook pages.

Taryn and Beth Miller were both adopted by Kelly's mom and step-father. They are definitely not 100% caucasian. Kelly Jo's mom is Betty Jo Smith now. She is on her third husband; she buried the other two. Betty Jo has several pictures on her facebook from Thanksgiving (2010, I think) of her daughters, including Kelly and the adopted ones. I know they are adopted from their facebook pages.

Better look them up quick, 'cause they will probably be private real soon - and I don't know how to save images like some of you.

And, yes, I have too much time on my hands.

They are definitely not 100% caucasian.

Honorary White People is what they're called, I think.

I wonder if they ever got any of that 'You better be grateful we adopted you' BS from Kelly's family. I'm not exactly sure what set her on a course toward cultism.

I'm looking at the recipes, and they all sound revolting. Most, if not all, of the canned foods are more expensive that fresh foods, and they are so bad for you! This isn't a good example to set for those kids at all. I'm an incredibly lazy cook, and I do much better than this!

Here's what makes it worse, and I can't believe nobody on here has mentioned it before. (Or maybe they have?) Kelly Bates has two adopted sisters. One is mixed race and the other may be mixed or just black. The post the Bates Family had on their blog about her brother dying in May says her "sister Beth" had a baby Braylon. Look at sister Beth's picture posted there.

Then I looked up the dead brother's obit http://stei-23923.tributes.com/show/Ken ... m-93892574 which lists their sisters. Then I found her step-father's obit (which lists her as Kelly Jo, btw) http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/mi ... -wife.html. From there I found her mother's facebook page and 4 sisters' facebook pages.

Taryn and Beth Miller were both adopted by Kelly's mom and step-father. They are definitely not 100% caucasian. Kelly Jo's mom is Betty Jo Smith now. She is on her third husband; she buried the other two. Betty Jo has several pictures on her facebook from Thanksgiving (2010, I think) of her daughters, including Kelly and the adopted ones. I know they are adopted from their facebook pages.

Better look them up quick, 'cause they will probably be private real soon - and I don't know how to save images like some of you.

And, yes, I have too much time on my hands.

Did anyone read this obit?!

Survivors include his wife of the home

Her name isn't even mentioned! WTF?!

I think that they have found that fat and protein fill little bellies longer then anything else. Plus these dishes are easy to make and fast. but that's about all I want to say about this crap.

Another thing I found disturbing: "(The) biggest challenge for me is names," said oldest son Zach Bates. "Calling all the kids by their right name. When they are little, a lot of them look alike."

http://www.wate.com/story/17150768/lake ... th-19-kids

I have four brothers, three very close in age. People used to get them mixed up - but we NEVER mixed each other up. We knew who our siblings were. That is just sad.

Edited to post the correct link. Duh!

Another thing I found disturbing: "(The) biggest challenge for me is names," said oldest son Zach Bates. "Calling all the kids by their right name. When they are little, a lot of them look alike."

http://www.wate.com/story/17150768/lake ... th-19-kids

I have four brothers, three very close in age. People used to get them mixed up - but we NEVER mixed each other up. We knew who our siblings were. That is just sad.

Edited to post the correct link. Duh!

"Them" is often code for...non-white persons. I would expect nothing less from Zach "Whitebread" Bates.

"We made a commitment early on in our marriage not to borrow money and not to go into debt," Gil said.

Except when its to borrow off your 14 year old son who is schlepping his ass off with his own yard work business just to cover your own sorry ass'ed debts! :snooty:

Except when its to borrow off your 14 year old son who is schlepping his ass off with his own yard work business just to cover your own sorry ass'ed debts! :snooty:

I mentioned this over on the 19K&C FB page. They conveniently leave out the fact that Lawson's parents and siblings all borrow money from him. Debt is debt.

Exactly!

and I was actually in a similar situation with my parents who were terrible with money and debt... All too often I was guilted into letting them forget the debt they had with me, only for them to turn around a month later to borrow more with more promises to pay back. But when another month comes around and more bills need to be taken care of, again you are relenting and letting them forget it so they can take that money to help them out of that tough spot, and so it continues.

You cannot tell me this doesn't happen with poor Lawson! It downright sucks!

except feed your children food that is less then dog food or educate your children or give them free lives or sell them on tv. all those are less important then being debt free.

I think that they have found that fat and protein fill little bellies longer then anything else. Plus these dishes are easy to make and fast. but that's about all I want to say about this crap.

I don't understand the need for food to be "fast". Michelle talks about this a lot and she has said she admires the Bates ability to get a lot of food out fast. Both families have a mother and 4 adult/almost-adult daughters who stay at home all the time. Is there any reason why one daughter can't take an hour out of her morning to cook a good lunch and another daughter an hour to make dinner.

I do understand the need to fill little bellies but protein is a really expensive way to do it. Rice is a cheap, healthy alternative if your aim is just to fill them. Every night before dinner my teenage boys eat a bowl of rice. It slows them down so they don't just inhale their meat & vege. Rice is always available from the rice cooker so my tribe eat it throughout the day. My eldest would typically eat his way through 4-5 cups (measure when uncooked) a day. Total cost = maybe $1 if it is fancy rice (Jasmine or similar), less if it is plain white or brown rice. Very cheap way to satisfy hunger.

"Them" is often code for...non-white persons. I would expect nothing less from Zach "Whitebread" Bates.

I guess I wasn't that clear here. This is a totally different article. Zach is not talking about Kelly's adopted sisters, he is actually saying that he can't tell his OWN brothers & sisters apart! I know I can't remember all their names, but their eldest brother can't either? WTF?

I doubt any of them talk about Kelly's adopted sisters very much. IMO, the whole Gil and Kelly Bates family is "Whitebread". It just raised my disgust to a whole new level when I found out she had relatives (adopted, or not) with black heritage and still had a picture of a KKK leader in her house.

Well, considering the menfolk are never involved in the baby-rearing, I can kinda understand why Zack wouldn't be able tell his own siblings apart... But of course I find that abhorrent in an of itself.

I completely disagree. First of all, you don't need meat for protein. Lentils are dirt cheap and just as filling as bacon or bologna. Or they could use eggs or dried beans. Meat is not the only source of protein and I don't like the way it's treated as a staple for every meal in our culture. If the Bateses lived 100 years ago, they'd never even be able to afford meat.

Plus, these things are not easy to make at all, as I explained earlier but will repeat for your benefit. Frying 20 individual slices of bologna and preparing 20 individual pieces is a pain in the ass. Mashed potatoes are even worse because you have to peel and mash them. They have been mashed the day before, but it still had to be done at some point. I'm lazy so I pretty much never make mashed potatoes. Potatoes are cheap so I'll eat them, but I'll leave the skin on and then cook them in any way that doesn't require mashing them. That poor man's steak and potatoes seems like way more work than it's worse. It would be so much easier to fill up a big pot with rice and beans and then just scoop it out. Making individual sandwiches is also tedious, as is opening up a bunch of different cans. All of those convenient things become a hassle any time you have to do it more than a dozen times. The soup recipe is about the only one that is sort of fast and sort of easy.

There are a million recipes that would be far easier than what they already make, and most of them would be cheaper and healthier than what they make now.

So I'm totally not contributing to this thread, but bananacat: you can mash potatoes with the skin on. The texture is a little different from peeled mash, but you get the nutritional benefits skin (and it means you get to skip peeling. Yay!)

I'm actually afraid to read the recipes or watch the show after hearing your descriptions of the food.

I love the "bent and dent" grocery store around here. I never know what I'll find but for the most part its super cheap. You do have to watch the expiration dates though on perishables but I bought a ton of low sodium turkey sausage there for about 1 buck a pound the other day.

RIght now I'm operating with no kitchen because of a home remodel. We have been consuming a lot of Tasty Bite Madras lentils from Costco (one packet is 2 dollars) and a can of black beans (about 70 cents, also Costco) and a packet of pre-cooked brown rice. This plus some veggies steamed in the microwave makes four high protein, high fiber and very filling dinners that also happen to be vegetarian. On days when we want meat we've been buying Costco's rotisserie chicken (have you noticed a trend?) or heck a bunch of salmon that I've just cut up and crusted in a good seasoning mix and then lightly fried on our induction hot plate.

I'm just in wonder of how these people are so thin and I'm struggling with my weight. If I ate that kind of crap (assuming I could keep it down) I'd gain a ton of weight. Its not even the fat content but the starch. Potatoes and canned soup with fillers and fake cheese.

BTW, note to Gil. Getting your kids medical care via the ER and not paying for it IS taking money from the evil government. Its cheaper for the taxpayers to put your spawn on CHIP rather than consuming thousands of dollars of medical care in the ER when a 100 dollar visit to a pediatrician would have sufficed. The balls that these people have will never cease to amaze me. They don't understand how much they are costing the rest of us and then spit on it. Instead of winning converts I think they make it clear how f--ing twisted fundies and their ilk are.

Archived