IGNORED

United Bates of America {merged}

Lillian

Canned chicken is just like using canned tuna, imo. I sometimes use it for a buffalo chicken dip to take to parties. Though with a family that size, it would not be hard to either roast up a couple of whole chickens, or , even better, 5 lbs. of chicken drumsticks, which always go on sale here for about 99 cents a pound. Aldi is here, too, in NJ (no bible verses in the eggs though), and their canned/frozen food is just fine, and their meats are the same quality as our local Shop-Rite. Their produce can be hit and miss because they don't use refridgeration..my youngest loves grapes but if I get them at Aldi they have to be used within a day.

An idea for an episode for the Bates (forget the Duggars since Michelle never cooks)..have Kelly and some of the kids go either to a local farmers' market or have them get a CSA delivery..I've done this for a couple of years, you buy a share from a local farmer and have a basket of fresh vegetables and fruits weekly for about 5 months a year, either pickup or delivery. With that many children, it would probably be more cost effective than buying frozen or canned. And also show Kelly making different dishes for her family that she has never tried before..over the last few years, I've found several interesting ways to use swiss chard, collard greens, beets, zucchini, and tomatoes.It would be a good learning experience for all of them, and the recipes are usually available at the farms who run the CSA's. Much healthier than the recipes I've seen on the Bates' website.

I am hoping that they do show all 8 episodes, if for no other reason than to find out what the kids' personalities are like. I admit that I thought Jackson seemed very wise for his age a couple of years ago, and on their special, it was kind of interesting to see one of the older girls (Alyssa or Tory?) going to a gun range with Gil for her birthday. The Duggars can go on hold indefinitely, I don't see why TLC needs to show them alongside the Bates.

And yes, TLC has cancelled some shows that had episodes that never aired. Does anyone remember "One Big Happy Family?" It was about an African-American family in North Carolina where the mom, dad, and two teens were all very overweight, I think each of them was initially at least 300 lbs. Season 2 was cancelled after airing 3 episodes although 8 were filmed,and the family had been moving toward serious weight loss when that season started. I never understood why the rest of the episodes never aired, it was a topic I hadn't seen TLC cover before and the family was likeable and genuine.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember One Big Happy Family, too NJMom. Why it was cancelled is a puzzle, isn't it?

It was canceled because they dropped to something like 550,000 viewers. TLC would probably have had to rebate the ads to air it.

The Bates have how much land? Why don't they plant a garden and grow fruits and veggies? Plant a few apple, peach and cherry trees. Put in some blackberry bushes, etc. They could freeze or can what you can't eat. Heck, they could even sell it at a roadside stand. We drive to Florida every other year- there are tons of little produce stands along the road. Lots of great produce. Kelly could make it an entire month or more of science lessons for "school". I know, it's not rocket science, but at least they could learn how plants grow and how to care for a garden. They are wasting so many good opportunities. Stupid fundies.

Very good point. They have the land and the "farm hands". They could even have chickens or something.

Any teaching of useful information would take away from their creationist science, biblical history, and patriarchy lessons.

From the recipes... I give you SOTDRT teaching at its finest:

Now, I'm not the greatest at grammar or spelling, but the example I quoted is terrible.

She doesn't understand what a proper noun is, and capitalizes randomly. Moreover, what is "1 Whip Cream"? I assume she means whipped cream, and just doesn't understand the difference between adjectives, nouns and verbs.

Ummm...what is frozen lemonade concentrate? Is this the same sort of thing as fast food outlets buy to mix up in their drink machines? If so, I'm very, very scared.

ewwww wtf??? Why not just make a decent caramel from the condensed milk and put it in a pie crust... even that would be better than this lemonadesque bizareness!!!

what is frozen lemonade concentrate?

It's the lemonade "mix" in the freezer section of the grocery store. To make it into lemonade it's defrosted and several cans of water added. To clarify it's there with the frozen juices - most of them are concentrates also.

It's the lemonade "mix" in the freezer section of the grocery store. To make it into lemonade it's defrosted and several cans of water added. To clarify it's there with the frozen juices - most of them are concentrates also.

Thanks. Never seen it but also never seen frozen juices. I guess that shows how far out in the middle of nowhere I live. :lol:

This forum is so good for my diet.

canned%20chicken%203.jpg

Wait, THATS the canned chicken they buy? Gross! This is what I get:

440x380_ac.jpg

Goddamn! That chicken in a can is fucking disgusting! If you're gonna 'do' a whole chicken, why not buy a fresh one? Stupid nasty fundies. *gags*

That whole chicken in a can was on "Chopped" once. *gag* One of the chefs was like, "Oh, yeah, I had this all the time as a kid" and my response was :shock:

Goddamn! That chicken in a can is fucking disgusting! If you're gonna 'do' a whole chicken, why not buy a fresh one? Stupid nasty fundies. *gags*

Thats something I dont understand. I can get a whole young chicken at the grocery store for about $1.00 a lb. Sometimes you can get it for less if you watch sales. Its not hard to freeze them or cook them. Its the staple meat in my diet. The staple protein is beans and lentils. Its inexpensive, easy to cook, easy to store and can be used in many recipes. Lentils and rice is still one of my favorite foods. Its fast and easy to throw together.

That whole chicken in a can was on "Chopped" once. *gag* One of the chefs was like, "Oh, yeah, I had this all the time as a kid" and my response was :shock:

There was also a viral video of a man eating several of them. I think it was on Tosh.0 or something. Either way, I saw it once and actually vomited. First time in my life I ever had a visceral reaction like that.

The jelly coming off of that chicken reminds of a dish my grandma hasn't made in years which is a chicken aspic with shredded chicken bits, cooked carrots and celery and hard boiled eggs that is amazing. I need her to show me how to do it. Its wiggly and doesn't look like food but its delicious!

I didn't know they still had those! We didn't eat them but I remember a company Dad worked for sold them. Also canned ham, bacon, sausages, roast beef and a SPAM clone. Maybe the canned chicken was a donation?? Or bought at an odd-lot type store? Way don't they grow their own chickens?

I think it is some silly religious thing that causes me to eat crap and not farm.

They take the Bible verse about "Do not worry about your life..what you will eat" too seriously. They also take the OT laws seriously which as Christians they do not need to, but there's no pork in the Gothard-inspired diet.

They take the Bible verse about "Do not worry about your life..what you will eat" too seriously. They also take the OT laws seriously which as Christians they do not need to, but there's no pork in the Gothard-inspired diet.

Quite the opposite of the Seventh-Day Adventists, also a somewhat 'fundy' church

Wait, THATS the canned chicken they buy? Gross! This is what I get:

440x380_ac.jpg

OMG, that's disgusting ! I never heard of canned chicken, but a whole chicken in a can, WHY ??????

Archived