IGNORED

Dillards 39: From SOS to Peddling ALERT

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm going to agree to disagree on this topic. I'm a life long allergy sufferer. I've never even heard of people getting black eyes from sinuses. I even had a septoplasty. My nephew has crazy allergies when he was Izraels age and it wasn't one of the symptoms described by a doctor.  

Although I don't know much about the reliability of a lot of the sites I just looked at, the well-respected Mayo Clinic website specifically says that hay fever is a possible cause of "true under-eye circles".  http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/dark-circles-under-eyes/basics/causes/sym-20050624 

While less medically official, the Livestrong website claims that "Allergies can darken the skin under your eye, making it appear as though you have a black eye. Although the condition is unsightly, it usually is not a symptom of a serious medical problem. Taking allergy medication and using home remedies can be helpful in decreasing discoloration under the eyes."  http://www.livestrong.com/article/546224-allergic-reaction-it-looks-like-i-have-a-black-eye/ 

So whether or not allergies are the cause of *Izzy's* dark circle(s), it's certainly a possibility.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe a shower rack fell in his face.

But seriously, if I was an abusive asshole and my kid had a black eye as a result, I would not post his photo on IG. Abusers are clever like that.

31 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm going to agree to disagree on this topic. I'm a life long allergy sufferer. I've never even heard of people getting black eyes from sinuses. I even had a septoplasty. My nephew has crazy allergies when he was Izraels age and it wasn't one of the symptoms described by a doctor.

I understand that this is your experience, but are you really discounting the experiences of other allergy sufferers in this thread who have gotten dark circles/black eyes as a result? Respectfully, I'm not sure what reason they would have to lie... 

Allergies manifest in all kinds of crazy different ways. I'm allergic to dogs, and sometimes my eyes water a little if I'm around a dog. My friend who's allergic to dogs has to pop allergy pills like crazy. I'm allergic to cashews - when I ate a handful of cashews my mouth itched and my nose ran. Someone else might end up in the hospital. It's a pretty enormous range.

1 hour ago, freshlemonade said:

I think that's just how Izzy's eyes look.

My middle son is allergic to almost every tree, grass, and weed and his eyes looked like this when he was a toddler.

I'm 24 and my eyes still look like this.  I'm grateful for makeup and allergy medication.

Also; @OyToTheVey It is a thing.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/dark-circles-under-eyes/basics/causes/sym-20050624

17 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Maybe a shower rack fell in his face.

But seriously, if I was an abusive asshole and my kid had a black eye as a result, I would not post his photo on IG. Abusers are clever like that.

Yep. These two may be stupid, but they're probably not that stupid. I have no doubt in my mind that they hit that kid and call it discipline, but I doubt they're hitting him in the face. And if they were, they'd be hiding it better. 

Hi everyone.  This is my first post.  I've been reading here for a few years now.  All the allergy talk has prompted my first post 

1: as to to the validity of the health websites, my husband works for an insurance company.  They recommend Mayo Clinic and National Institute of Health (NIH) for more sound and truthful medical information.  

2:  My son suffers from environmental, as well as, food allergies.  We live in the South.  During high pollen count times, his eyes get dark circles under the eyes.  His allergist has told us this is a symptom of the environmental allergens.  

I'm not willing to jump on the abuse bandwagon because of black eyes.  If that were the case, CPS would have visited us by now.  Unfortunately, we just have to deal with dark circles until the end of allergy season... 

My allergies, from wine to plants to cats (of which I have 3, allergies be damned), generally manifest with hives on the palms of my hands.  It runs in the family, but other than my mom and grandma, I've never seen spotted palms as an initial allergic response on ANYONE else.  And yet, it is for me! 

Allergies are weird, man.  

1 minute ago, Georgiana said:

My allergies, from wine to plants to cats (of which I have 3, allergies be damned), generally manifest with hives on the palms of my hands.  It runs in the family, but other than my mom and grandma, I've never seen spotted palms as an initial allergic response on ANYONE else.  And yet, it is for me! 

Allergies are weird, man.  

Allergies are super weird. I spontaneously developed an allergy to nuts in my adulthood. I would get an itchy nose and hives on my lips when I ate nuts. This lasted a few years and then just mysteriously went away as abruptly as it arrived. WTF allergies? Why do you even exist!?

I don't recall seeing this posted here, if I missed it I'll delete! Was just happy to see Derick still hasn't been completely let off the hook in the comments, although of course there are leghumpers galore.

Just looked at the previous thread about ALERT and the questions on the form. Does a teeny tiny tattoo on your hand get you out of going? If so, probably a worthwhile investment for the pre-teen fundie male. 

13 minutes ago, Snarkangel Gabriel said:

Just looked at the previous thread about ALERT and the questions on the form. Does a teeny tiny tattoo on your hand get you out of going? If so, probably a worthwhile investment for the pre-teen fundie male. 

Food for thought indeed - for young Fundie males.  Or if they didn't like ALERT they could pop off and get a tattoo during during a furlough or absence.

Here's what ALERT says.

Tattoos

ALERT does not condone the practice of tattooing. If you do have a tattoo and it is visible when wearing the uniform of the day, it must be covered. This includes PT gear and when in the barracks. It is your responsibility to bring appropriate covering (i.e. approved long sleeve t-shirts, arm/leg bands, etc.). Any tattoo that cannot be covered with normal uniform or a band (i.e. tattoos on the face, neck or hands) will disqualify one from attending the ALERT academy. If a tattoo—whether visible or not— is obtained during any portion of your training at ALERT (including furloughs and absences), your training with ALERT will be terminated. 

It doesn't sound as though a Bandaid would count as an approved band. ;)

44 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Allergies are super weird. I spontaneously developed an allergy to nuts in my adulthood. I would get an itchy nose and hives on my lips when I ate nuts. This lasted a few years and then just mysteriously went away as abruptly as it arrived. WTF allergies? Why do you even exist!?

I had a terrible allergy to apples, sneezing, itching and even a slightly swollen throat for a couple years and heating the apples didn't even help as it is supposed to do. Then one day I saw the most delicious apple and decided that I would survive the allergies just to eat that apple. NOTHING HAPPENED!!! I was puzzled and three days later I became determined to provoke an allergy by eating three of those apples. Again the same thing. I could eat apples again. I might still on occasion get a slight itch if I happen to get apple in my eye that I feel goes on a little too long to just be common irritation but I can eat apples and have been now for about 10 years.

Another thing weird thing is that the allergies can vary in strength. I have a more or less complete allergy to all animals with fur. Guinea pigs and rabbits and really soft things like that are the worst, cats are second and dogs vary greatly. Some dogs I can pet and not get any reaction or a tiny one while others will make me have runny eyes and asthma. When we got our engagement rings I got an allergic reaction and I just couldn't understand what the heck I was allergic to in a jewellry store. It turned out they had a great big rotweiler in the back room which I didn't see until we came back to pick the rings up again.

And, I do get darker rings under my eyes too from allergies if this is a poll or something. I also have dark skin under my eyes from hereditary reasons as do hundreds of relatives but it gets much worse when in particular certain grass pollen start acting up.

I can't get over the change in Jill since they announced they are staying in NWA.  She really was NOT HAPPY down in SCA! 

53 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I don't recall seeing this posted here, if I missed it I'll delete! Was just happy to see Derick still hasn't been completely let off the hook in the comments, although of course there are leghumpers galore.

Damn, isn't that baby only 6 weeks old? Why do the Dullards babies mature so quickly? That kids looks 4 months old. He is so wide awake and look at his tone...he does not look like is age at all, IMO.

My 3-year-old niece recently visited and she got absolutely decimated by mosquitos. We put bug spray on her but missed the area close to her eye and she must have gotten bit right underneath. Her one eye got so swollen it looked like a black eye and she could hardly open it. The minute clinic advised benedryl and some sort of cortisone cream and it cleared up a few days later. But it reminded me so much of Izzy and now I don't judge because it legit is likely some variation of an allergic reaction.

I agree, he looks 3-4 months old, rather than 6 weeks. He's a big boy!

What a difference in Jill. She looks beautiful. I hope she's happier now. 

about allergies:  My mom and grandmother had a flower shop from when I was 6 until I was 12 years old.  None of the flowers bothered me while I was around them.  When I was 17 I developed an allergy to Easter Lilies.  My eyes would water and swell to almost closed when I was around them.  Now, Easter Lilies don't bother me.  When I was a child I developed an allergy to what I assume is ragweed.  I sneezed from late August until the first frost in November.  After my first child was born, my ragweed allergy went away, but then came back about 12 years later.  To this day, I am sick sick sick with allergies from the end of August to November.  In the last few years I have also developed Spring allergies.  I don't understand the ins and outs of how allergies can come and go.  I do know that environmental allergies can cause very dark circles under the eyes though.

6 minutes ago, viii said:

I agree, he looks 3-4 months old, rather than 6 weeks. He's a big boy!

What a difference in Jill. She looks beautiful. I hope she's happier now. 

My brothers little girl was like this, at 8 weeks old next to our sisters 6 week old daughter who was the exact same height & weight at birth she looked like she was 4 months old where the 6 weeker looked like a new born.  FF 5 years and the 6 weeker is 5 inches and 20 lbs heaver than the 8 week old, the older girl is just a waif of a thing while sassy pants is built like our side of the family, she's more of a brick wall than a little bitty thing.

On the topic of allergies I did testing back in2015 as a way to see if it would help with my stomach problems. According to the test I was allergic to just about everything food related. Chicken, Wheat, Shrimp, All variety of nuts, Cod, Starrberries, & etc. trying to follow everything on the list has been near to impossible. I'm still surprise at what came up because our outside of pencillian it was assumed that I was not allergic to much else. Although I think I saw there was a link between developing allergies as adult and thyroid issues.

Religion on campus- my university was known for every major being tied to STEM in some way or another. But the campus was crawling in religion. Cru and hInterVarsity Christian Fellowship had the largest presence on campus. InterVarsity was more intense on the recruitment while CRU had three unofficial halls in the dorms and two unofficial houses off campus. There was also Catholic & Lutheran orgs too but unlike the others they were made up with mainly those that lived in the area and not there just 9 months out of the year.

Derrick- I would not be surprise if one way or another if he was/wasn't getting paid by Cross Church. The Dullard seem to bring the church attention good and bad. Derrick has been trying to position himself & his family into having some type of leadership role in a church. Either way the latest photos they actually look like they did when they first got married. Jill's smile in the family photo looks like it reaching to her eyes again.

Although is it just me but does Dr.Ronnie Floyd look like he could pass as a slimy human form of the Devil? IMG_3354.PNG

My kids were born overdue and they were also kind of born older than the average newborn. They looked people in the eye from the start, they would look in the direction of a sound, they would have their eyes open looking at stuff from the start and they would not sleep all the time either. Because of that they appeared older than they were and this difference was evident for quite some time, months even. Jill was overdue or most likely overdue with both of them as far as I know.

Really for the first 2 years you should count ages from due dates when comparing between kids.  Of course the younger they are the more true this is.

On 8/15/2017 at 11:54 PM, Beermeet said:

I don't think I'll ever understand the hyper focus on religion,  in this case Jesus.   It's just not enough for these sorts to live and enjoy life when and where you can.  Everything is hyper focused on Jesus and they are still bad at it.  The endless rules, constant  church life,  tons of restrictions.   It's just too much. 

I think for most of them the "outside" world is just too much for them. Too much freedom to make their own decisions and too many people to decide if they should be allowed into your world. Most of them (not all) have never been able to truly enjoy life because that is just too decadent. They don't know the cool feeling of water swirling around your bare legs in a typical swimsuit or a breeze gently blowing on your shoulders in a sundress (gasp). Constant church life......stick with your own kind, they won't lead you wrong unless it is Josh. It truly is too much for them. I think Jeremy is leading Jinger somewhat slowly into the world of openness even if it is only a little bit. I don't agree with all his beliefs (well for God's sake, I'm a Catholic for one) but she could have done far worse. Of course this is only my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, klabourdeth said:

Although I think I saw there was a link between developing allergies as adult and thyroid issues.

There is a link between developing an autoimmune disease (like Hashimoto's disease) and developing food allergies. I knew a researcher who was studying patients who developed Type I Diabetes and seeing how many also developed food allergies. There was definitely a correlation. 

Anecdotally, I didn't develop a nut allergy until after I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. It makes sense. An autoimmune disease is basically your body fighting off something it shouldn't, which is pretty much what an allergy is. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived