IGNORED

Jinger 29: New House and New Wardrobe

Coconut Flan

On 8/15/2017 at 4:55 PM, divadivine said:

Are you my twin? My bestie? My alter ego? I also haaaaaate that word! It makes me cringe. Like nails on a chalkboard. 

What I hate about the word "Kiddo" is, time and time again, I realized the guy I was interested in only viewed me as a platonic friend or little sister the moment he referred to me as.....Kiddo. Once he uttered that word, it was pointless for me to entertain the possibility of my being viewed as romantic potential.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, moreorlessnu said:

What I hate about the word "Kiddo" is, time and time again, I realized the guy I was interested in only viewed me as a platonic friend or little sister the moment he referred to me as.....Kiddo. Once he uttered that word, it was pointless for me to entertain the possibility of my being viewed as romantic potential.

My husband will call me Kiddo at times because he knows it annoys the shit out of me.  Somehow for the longest time in my life I was always the youngest one in my group of friends/coworkers, I've always been drawn to older people, so I was always called kiddo  My husband is 9 years older than me. I had someone call me this a few months ago, I'm like I'm 46 fucking years old, when do I stop being "kiddo" 

The other part of their social media use is the Gothard requirement to always publicly praise your spouse  (esp. headship). From the IBLP website:

"If you are insensitive and do not admire or praise your spouse for the special things he or she does to please you, your spouse will look for recognition from other sources."

Creepy staring while they talk also helps. :P

7 hours ago, Greendoor said:

This may just be him NOT being controlling.  His father and mother seem normal, his sister isn't held hostage as far as I have seen.

I wonder if some of her new style comes from being influenced by her mother-in-law.  Mrs. Vuolo is a pretty woman and I like what I've seen her in.  I like to think Jinger is getting to know her mother-in-law and is picking up some of how to be normal from her.

I love that Jinger got to visit a beautiful museum (Getty Villa) full of naked pagan statues.

On 8/19/2017 at 5:31 PM, Beermeet said:

Jinger looks great.  Love that outfit, something I would wear.  I do wish Jeremy would stop buttoning all the buttons.  Undo one or 2.  Makes him look uptight and shirts tight around my neck drive me nuts.  I can't do it.

Maybe Jinger tells him to do it, she doesn't want to share her chest playground with anyone else.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, marmalade said:

I think in the highly edited version, I saw more of Derelict Dullard than I did of the bride. 

(sorry - I can't figure out how to delete the video.)   

For Rufus' sake - why is Dickwit standing there with his shirt untucked?    It's bad enough that his and JD's (?) shirts are not ironed - but at least tuck it in.   

Can I just point out that they're at the GETTY museum, not a creation museum,  or an ark adventure....an actual museum that I am dying to go to? :greetings-clappingyellow:

On 8/20/2017 at 11:08 AM, Carm_88 said:

Oh there is definitely a promotion, they want people to watch the show and come to Jeremy's church. So they want to come off as quirky, young, and oh so much fun. Then you get to the church and Jeremy spits fire and brimstone at you. :my_dodgy:

I could see how someone would see Jeremy and Jinger on the show, see that he seems more relaxed about modesty standards,  see their social media presence and decide to give his church a try.  I imagine that would be pretty shocking to see this young, attractive and relatively 'hip' young couple who seem to enjoy aspects of modern culture, etc, and then go see him in action at church. 

Jeremy, in conversation is well spoken, but I find his sermons dull and he tries to hard to sound intellectual about the concepts he is preaching, despite the fact that simple use of logic and critical thinking calls these concepts and beliefs strongly into question.

I know there is a ton of debate about BC--whether she is using it or if they are doing something to prevent pregnancy--but she might just not be getting pregnant. Look at Michael (Michaella) Bates.  There is a person ready and willing to produce baby after baby and she has been unable. She's even had to address this publicly in a blog.  They have not found (according to her) any reason for the infertility but they just made their second anniversary and no baby.  

Jinger is young and I hope she really is trying not to get pregnant versus having trouble. Do we think she'll have to post about it if she's not able? 

Forget what Jinger is wearing.  Can we just talk about the traveling all over the place for a minute? 

Sarcasm and snarking aside, I'm totally jelly that I cannot just pick up and go at the drop of a hat, as the Vuolos do.  I'm desperately seeking the travel secret.  Anyone?

44 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

I know there is a ton of debate about BC--whether she is using it or if they are doing something to prevent pregnancy--but she might just not be getting pregnant. Look at Michael (Michaella) Bates.  There is a person ready and willing to produce baby after baby and she has been unable. She's even had to address this publicly in a blog.  They have not found (according to her) any reason for the infertility but they just made their second anniversary and no baby.  

Jinger is young and I hope she really is trying not to get pregnant versus having trouble. Do we think she'll have to post about it if she's not able? 

There are tons of natural BC methods.  She might just being avoiding "contact" when she's most fertile.  IT's not that difficult.  Especially if you really want to avoid pregnancy.

@Lovebug, this is one reason these folks have no reason to think critically about their cult or to leave it. Fabulous Australian and European honeymoons, and other trips, without having to worry about paying for any of it! Or even getting an education to get a good job to be able to pay for it. Homes too, just dropped in your lap.

Most of us, even after years or even decades of working can't afford international travel, and sure as hell could not afford it in our late teens/early twenties! Most if us struggled to save down payments and started with modest dwellings.

It's comfy-cushy-comfortable, downright luxurious sometimes, to be a fundy princess. The princes benefit too. Ain't nobody leaving that world no time soon.

3 minutes ago, ActualReality said:

There are tons of natural BC methods.  She might just being avoiding "contact" when she's most fertile.  IT's not that difficult.  Especially if you really want to avoid pregnancy.

It would be difficult for me because I'm a horndog. Even at my present age. Early twenties? Fuggitaboutit, there shall be sweet fellowship!

Why does none of their social media show them helping people, pastoring, giving back, etc. ?  It all seems very superficial and focused on churchy networking social climbing.  

Also, and this is very BEC, but they seem to be trying too hard to be cool.   As opposed to Jeremy's photographer James who has a IMO cool insta. 

I wish the CO after show specials would hit on some of these topics.  It would also be interesting  to hear more about Jinger and Jessa's relationship now.  I think the dynamic is probably totally different.

42 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

this is one reason these folks have no reason to think critically about their cult or to leave it. 

(This ) is EXACTLY it!  Even if you don't have a lot of money or get the "cash and prizes" of homes and travel that's what it's like to be a fundy.  Or a part of any restrictive group for that matter.  From the time they're babies their entire life is that community.  It's where your friends are, your family is there and a lot of your identity is tied up in the organization.  It's a ploy that makes it really hard to leave.  So if you're a part of a more relaxed group if you leave the organization you miss out on a tiny part of your life.  If you leave a fundamentalist group you often lose your entire family and friend group.  Also, the world is divided into "us" and "them".  Everybody wants to be an "us".  When you've grown up hearing what insiders say about "them" it takes a real act of courage to leave and become one of "them."

1 hour ago, Lovebug said:

Forget what Jinger is wearing.  Can we just talk about the traveling all over the place for a minute? 

Sarcasm and snarking aside, I'm totally jelly that I cannot just pick up and go at the drop of a hat, as the Vuolos do.  I'm desperately seeking the travel secret.  Anyone?

TV grifting.  I was just saying I wish I could have gone to my friends mountain top home just outside of Portland for her eclipse viewing party this morning. but NOOOOO, 1. I can't afford the airfare, 2. it is a 26 hour drive WITHOUT stops and 3. I don't have the vacation time.

42 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

Why does none of their social media show them helping people, pastoring, giving back, etc. ?  It all seems very superficial and focused on churchy networking social climbing.  

Also, and this is very BEC, but they seem to be trying too hard to be cool.   As opposed to Jeremy's photographer James who has a IMO cool insta. 

I wish the CO after show specials would hit on some of these topics.  It would also be interesting  to hear more about Jinger and Jessa's relationship now.  I think the dynamic is probably totally different.

Their cult doesn't allow for helping others, it is a God helps those who help themselves.  They do NOT believe in charity, of any kind, unless it benefits them. They don't believe in mentoring new Christians beyond proselytizing hell fire and brimstone. They are out for themselves and themselves alone. Which is more a result of the republicanization of Christianity than anything, they and many other right wing evangelicals subscribe to the right wing ideology of "I've got mine fuck you".  Even if they took it from you, they would say you should have held on tighter sucks to be you.  

It's not a religion.

It's not a faith group

It's a cult.

When you worship for years and years at YOUR HOME and your dad is faith "instructor", it's a cult , folks.

When you do not go to school,

Or grow up playing with others,

Or have any activities beside the home church and taking care of your parents' responsibilities, it's a cult.

When you're 27.5 years old and still sleep with 7, 8, 9, 10 year old,s and have no say in your own life or future, you belong to a cult.

2 hours ago, Lovebug said:

Get yourself on reality TV. :dramallama-nanner:

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Their cult doesn't allow for helping others, it is a God helps those who help themselves.  They do NOT believe in charity, of any kind, unless it benefits them. They don't believe in mentoring new Christians beyond proselytizing hell fire and brimstone. They are out for themselves and themselves alone. Which is more a result of the republicanization of Christianity than anything, they and many other right wing evangelicals subscribe to the right wing ideology of "I've got mine fuck you".  Even if they took it from you, they would say you should have held on tighter sucks to be you.  

Wasn't there a sermon where Jeremy was describing (his understanding) of other religions and mocked religions that value helping others or something?

One thing that is a red flag for me is that Jeremy has said that he "used to" be to invested in the idea of fame. And that desire is something he's struggled to overcome. And then he goes and pursues a sheltered girl with her own TV show...

11 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Wasn't there a sermon where Jeremy was describing (his understanding) of other religions and mocked religions that value helping others or something?

One thing that is a red flag for me is that Jeremy has said that he "used to" be to invested in the idea of fame. And that desire is something he's struggled to overcome. And then he goes and pursues a sheltered girl with her own TV show...

Ugh I hate this comparison fundies make. They often criticize other religions (including catholicism) as being "works-based" rather than "faith-based" quoting Ephesians 2:8-9 out of context as their evidence. Interesting paradox, as many of these fundies are insanely legalistic and judgemental, but at the same time will look down upon other religions that include helping people and generally not being a dick as part of their beliefs.  

Here's Ephesians 2:8 (with context 2:[6-10] and 2:[14-18]), with bolden text to really emphasize the hypocrisy. 

Spoiler

6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

And just for fun, here's a passage from the letter of Jame's chapter 2 that fundies always seem to conveniently ignore. 

Spoiler

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

Of course when this passage IS brought up, it's usually to justify imposing their legalistic rules on others or proselytizing catholics in developing countries, and not actually helping those around them to make a world a better place. 

James 2:18 is the "theme" verse for our church this year. 2 of our pastors are police chaplains,  1 is a fire department chaplain, we outfitted soup to nuts 6 families that were displaced by an apartment fire, a huge back to school giveaway, 100 layettes donated to the crisis pregnancy center, heaven only knows how many diapers and packages of wipes, baby formula. Upcoming is a big Christmas outreach giving away 300 (at least) Christmas trees and all sorts of stuff. Family care packages (meals, etc)...etc. 

Yeah, we do absolutely nothing in our community...

7 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Actually she didn't say that.  She didn't say what exactly the problem was but said that with every test done by doctors their situation looked worse and worse.

@feministxtian

That's awesome! As a Christian, it always genuinely warms my heart to see church communities actually giving back in meaningful ways as they should. Christianity SHOULD have the reputation of compassion and generosity, but sadly that's not really the case. 

What really ruffles my feathers is when christians (like the duggars) twist and cherry pick the bible to suit their own selfish needs. Grift and take advantage of the generosity the community and "give back" by going on paid speaking tours and missioncations in CA. Harp on about modesty skirts and courtships, but don't fight for those disempowered by abuse or systematic oppression. The protest liquor stores, but don't get involved to help battle addiction or substance abuse within the community. They lack all compassion for people who aren't them, and make no attempt to reach out and make peace with those who are different. 

On 8/20/2017 at 4:44 PM, Lurky said:

My take on Jinger's clothing: It's really, REALLY weird to see a 23 year old woman only getting the chance to start experimenting with fashion and her look after she's married.  It's really tragic to me that this is the first time she gets to wear trainers or jeans, for example.

This is a really good take.

Most of us are experimenting with things like dressing ourselves for the first time and asserting independence from our parents a decade earlier than Jinger. We could mess around and make mistakes (including on things more important than fashion) and hopefully learn from them and grow --- without permanent consequences. Hopefully Jeremy and Jinger grow together.

Jill seems to be a case where the thing she had her heart set on didn't actually suit her. Unfortunately she was married with a baby before it was too late. If Jill and Derick had met at a normal Christian college, even if they eventually decided to get married, they could have at least had a few years to get to know each other before the stress of becoming parents.  They could have even gotten married and done a mission for 2-3 years before having kids! I know a handful of 30-ish couples who are well on their way to having 4-6 kids, but were married for a few years before baby #1 debuted.

@immodest_countenance At the beginning of the year, our pastor told the congregation that being in church every time the doors were open was nice...but...there's 2 million people in the metro area and the 500 of us shouldn't be hiding. There's something going on pretty much every weekend and during the week for those who can take the time from working. Another big one was reaching out to the homeless veterans (well, those who claim to be veterans, they get more sympathy when panhandling), and getting them hooked up with the veterans' services available (medical, psychological, housing, etc). Unfortunately, there were some who were not veterans and were running a scam. 

And...just to make it even "odder", I belong to an IFB church here in "sin city". There's 2 non-denominational "mega-churches" here in LV, and honestly, they don't do shit. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived