IGNORED

Jinger 29: New House and New Wardrobe

Coconut Flan

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I understand the Jinger fashion freedom vs. continued patriarchy debate better now after the last thread. To me I guess I differentiated between material agency (Jinger is still under a headship with very little agency) and something like creativity or self-exploration. The Duggars seemed to stifle any kind of creativity leading to a lot of repression of personality. So if Jinger has slightly more breathing room in terms of fashion, I took that as good for personal expression. But absolutely the point is well taken that without real, meaningful freedom and equality she won't have agency, creativity or true self-expression.

this was posted in the previous thread:

Is this Jana on the right and Laura D. on the left? The pose seems to be Laura-ish. And Laura wore pants in Joy's wedding episode (if I remember  correctly).

8 hours ago, calimojo said:

How do you quote from the old thread to a new thread on here? 

Copy/paste is the only way I've found, then tag the person who wrote it.

7 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

I think I understand the Jinger fashion freedom vs. continued patriarchy debate better now after the last thread. To me I guess I differentiated between material agency (Jinger is still under a headship with very little agency) and something like creativity or self-exploration. The Duggars seemed to stifle any kind of creativity leading to a lot of repression of personality. So if Jinger has slightly more breathing room in terms of fashion, I took that as good for personal expression. But absolutely the point is well taken that without real, meaningful freedom and equality she won't have agency, creativity or true self-expression.

This explains what I was trying to say very well, while Jinger is still, IMO very fundy, she isn't Duggar kind of fundy. anymore. Jeremy, is more of a high society fundamentalist preacher, right now he is paying his dues working with the 'poor' folk and polishing himself for the big stage, the next Joel Osten (is that right, I can't be arsed to look it up). His faith will follow the money and the fame.  The Duggar's, on the other hand, are more Honey Boo Boo loud in your face, train wreck of hell fire and brimstone that many just can't look away from.  I think Jinger is now thinking that she is a little better than her family, hence the faces and the not really missing her siblings much.  Jinger's new brain is classier and less principled because it will sell out its faith for the money. IMO anyway.  

My issue is what was stated in the last thread, Jinger has gone from being on a very short leash, to being on a retractable one. So she can wear clothes that the Duggars wouldn't approve of but Jeremy does. So pants are fine, sleeveless tops/dresses are fine but having her own mind? Probably not fine. Is it better for Jinger? As long as she is happy, yes. 

The wish is for all of them to realize that there is life outside of fundamentalism. Maybe Jinger is getting a taste of that. Just never forget that Jeremy was likely cheering Derick on for his Jazz tweet. Don't let the clothes cloud the fact that he still wants to take away people's rights to love and marry. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think Jinger is now thinking that she is a little better than her family, hence the faces and the not really missing her siblings much.  Jinger's new brain is classier and less principled because it will sell out its faith for the money. IMO anyway.  

Jinger escaped the clutches of the family and doesn't seem to be looking back.  Her sister on the other hand seems to be annoying.  Jinger and Jeremy are trying for a new image and it seems they have created it. 

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but I assume it's easier than digging through tons of gossip articles or sermon listening. Can anyone summarize Jeremy's Catholic hate? I know his parents were raised Catholic and that Pastor Tim, one of his mentors, dishes out casual Catholic hate. My mom is planning on going with her friend to Grace Community Church San Antonio tonight for their prayer meeting to support her friend, but she's a Roman Catholic who still covers her hair for Mass.

I'd just like to be able to give her a heads up, bit of information ahead of time so she can know it going in. My mom tends to have no qualms pointing out her view that Christianity is just that, Christianity, and focusing qualms and missionary efforts on other denominations are for people that only know how to pick low hanging fruit. 

@Carm_88, Mr. Museum likes to pair his neon orange dress pants with a sky blue dress shirt. It's really something else. He loves it so much, and I can't rain on his parade.

20 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

@Carm_88, Mr. Museum likes to pair his neon orange dress pants with a sky blue dress shirt. It's really something else. He loves it so much, and I can't rain on his parade.

Sounds like quite the outfit! :) At least he's bright and cheerful! 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Sounds like quite the outfit! :) At least he's bright and cheerful! 

He works for an elementary school district, and all the little kids love his colorful clothing...I would say his outfits are more for them, but let's get real, it's more for him.

Mr. Museum is an ex-Army gym rat who is built like Rambo. In his current profession, he's basically looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger as Kindergarten Cop. 

2 hours ago, nst said:

Jinger escaped the clutches of the family and doesn't seem to be looking back.  Her sister on the other hand seems to be annoying.  Jinger and Jeremy are trying for a new image and it seems they have created it. 

I always love your takes on all things Jessa. I feel you've really got her down. :pb_lol: 

I think Jessa really pushed for Jinjer with hopes that maybe Ben could buddy up with him more and they'd eventually move somewhere near them too. Now she's off on her own, looking like a regular hateful conservative Christian and Jessa is still stuck in a small town. 

2 hours ago, cascarones said:

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but I assume it's easier than digging through tons of gossip articles or sermon listening. Can anyone summarize Jeremy's Catholic hate? I know his parents were raised Catholic and that Pastor Tim, one of his mentors, dishes out casual Catholic hate. My mom is planning on going with her friend to Grace Community Church San Antonio tonight for their prayer meeting to support her friend, but she's a Roman Catholic who still covers her hair for Mass.

Oh wow, just wow! I wondered if this was a John MacArthur spinoff church, so I looked it up and their statement of faith is one of the most detailed spewfests of Christian legalism that I've ever read. They make John MacArthur's church seem gentle! Really, it's what most evangelical, conservative churches espouse but don't reveal so explicitly. Your mom will probably be okay going to a prayer meeting, but she and Catholics are definitely not considered saved by conservative Christians.

Conservatives believe that only the Bible is God's word, so the Catholic apocrypha, writings of saints,  and traditions hold no weight, and in fact, are rather blasphemous. Praying to saints is verboten as Jesus is the only intermediary between God and man. Having a priest acting in Christ's role on earth is blasphemous to conservatives. Once you accept Christ as savior, salvation is finished, so there is no need for Catholic confession, indulgences, masses, etc. When I was still in the conservative church, I felt as thought I were sinning by being in a Catholic church with all the statues--we were taught to be terrified of idolatry. Salvation is viewed as a person's coming to have a personal relationship with Christ, so infant baptism has no effect on salvation and gives people false hope that they are in when they really aren't. If you go to Grace Comm Church's link, you will see very explicitly what they believe and the scripture citations supporting their beliefs. I think their issues with Catholicism will be apparent to you.

http://gccsatx.com/our-beliefs/statement-of-faith/

As for what conservatives are taught about all human beings, I just had to copy the list. They basically hate people, so no one should be suprised that Derrick's tweets come off as hateful.  (I've removed the scripture citations, which you can find on the church's link.)

VII. The Depravity of Man

1. Man was definitely created in a good and upright and holy condition.

2. But man willfully sinned against God by breaking the command of God

3. In this one act of rebellion, Adam represented the entire human race in such a way that the guilt of his sin was imputed to all of mankind so that condemnation and death came upon us all.

4. We now so thoroughly bear Adam’s guilt and Adam’s nature that all men are conceived in sin and come forth from the womb as sinners.

[Hence the need for the Pearls and the Ezzos to teach us how to beat and train the devil out of our infant infidels!]

5. By nature, all men are dead in sin.

6. By nature, all men are under the power of sin.
   [Hence the fear and mistrust of anyone not claiming Christ as savior - otherwise known as 'the world.']

7. By nature, all men are children of wrath.

8. By nature, all men have a heart that is deceitful and desperately sick.
   [Hence the fear and mistrust of anyone not claiming Christ as savior - otherwise known as 'the world.']

9. By nature, the truth of God is folly to man.

10. And in this state, God declares that we all are absolutely incapable of any good whatsoever…whether in thought, in deed, or in our best attempts to do that which we think is righteous.
[One of the most misinterpretted  or misused scriptures and damaging lies of conservatives.]

11. Yet as evil as it is, men love their condition, and love their sin, and willfully pursue every form of unrighteousness.

12. While we love our sin in our fallen state, we also reject God, refuse to seek Him, and will not come to Him.

13. Unless saved from this evil condition, men and women will suffer eternally for their sins.

14. But once saved by faith in Jesus Christ…God’s people are no longer totally depraved, but possess the mind of Christ, the character of God, and a new heart characterized by purity…God’s people possess a new nature no longer incapable of good, but zealous for good works.

[Worked for Josh Duggar, Bill Gothard and his brother, Doug Phillips...]

15. In fact, righteousness and obedience are the proof and evidence of truly being saved.

@DinglyDoll Thank you!! There's at least two Grace churches in SA, so I think I was on the wrong website!  My dad is Southern Baptist and we're a hate free bunch. Since you mentioned Derick, he got under my skin, because I'm pretty sure he'd flip at finding out the Catholic church didn't bat an eye at my godparents (two gay, unmarried, raised Catholic men), but I imagine that depends on parish.

If anything she'll probably get sassy about the praying to saints misconception if it comes up. She thinks it's crazy to ask everyone you know on facebook or wherever to pray for you, but asking people in heaven who have strong divine relationships to pray with you for a bit of grace or intervention is viewed in a negative light. 

I'll pass the info on, she's currently on the hunt to replace her bunco spot for tonight.

Guys. Jinger posted a picture on IG of a woman on a horse. The woman's jacket is sort "open" like there was a breeze. The leghumpers #1 think this is Jinger (it is not) and #2 The jacket is specifically meant to cover a pregnant belly.

I cannot. Not today, Satan.

1 hour ago, jerkit said:

Guys. Jinger posted a picture on IG of a woman on a horse. The woman's jacket is sort "open" like there was a breeze. The leghumpers #1 think this is Jinger (it is not) and #2 The jacket is specifically meant to cover a pregnant belly.

I cannot. Not today, Satan.

Lmao the girl looks nothing like Jinger honestly and she even commented that she took the pic of a friend... Leg hampers will grab onto anything ugh

Ok, Christian experts,  Help me understand this.  If one of the founding tenets of Christianity is forgiveness of sins, then why is there so much focus on original sin?  If Christ died for our sins and we are now forgiven, then I don't understand the point of baptisms, and the constant reminders of how we are inherently sinful.  Weren't we supposed to be forgiven and I would think if God is truly omniscient and wonderful, that he would have gotten over Eve eating that damned apple by now.  And if not, then I honestly don't think that is a God worth worship.  If God is so angry, thousands upon thousands of years later because of the apple, that just seems like a very odd way to set up a religion. 

I honestly love the idea of faith, and of believing in a higher power, but so much of what I see today is people worshipping the bible, not having true faith.  To me true faith means you don't really even need the bible, because you can pray, meditate, and open your mind to learn and love and believe you will be moved in directions that are true and moral and compassionate. 

2 hours ago, jerkit said:

clearly Jinger doesn't know the other meaning for mounted. 

Gee. I thought only Catholics believed in original sin.

25 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Gee. I thought only Catholics believed in original sin.

Same. I'd never heard the term until I met a Catholic person for the first time when I was 12.

52 minutes ago, calimojo said:

Ok, Christian experts,  Help me understand this.  If one of the founding tenets of Christianity is forgiveness of sins, then why is there so much focus on original sin?  

It all stems from a theological debate between Augustine of Hippo and Pelagius from the fifth century CE:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelagianism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo

The Eastern Orthodox Churches do not have the Western conception of original sin, but all of Western Christianity (i.e. Catholicism and Protestantism) is essentially a commentary on Augustine to a certain extent. The Protestant Reformers were particularly fond of Augustine's views on original sin and predestination. Calvinists in particular will claim that their views are reflected in Augustine. Elaine Pagels argues that if Pelagianism had won out over Augustinianism, then Western Christianity would be very different with regard to women, sexuality, and the Bible.

9 hours ago, cascarones said:

Can anyone summarize Jeremy's Catholic hate? I know his parents were raised Catholic and that Pastor Tim, one of his mentors, dishes out casual Catholic hate. My mom is planning on going with her friend to Grace Community Church San Antonio tonight for their prayer meeting to support her friend, but she's a Roman Catholic

Jeremy is reformed Calvinist, they historically have beef with catholic theology, even so far as saying that Catholics arent true christians or are pagans. Calvinists typically believe that catholics have corrupted Christianity with all their "man made rules and traditions" if its not explicitly in the bible (totally ignoring tbe fact that the bible is a man-made collection derived from tradition). They believe (incorrectly) that all these church traditions that catholics believe in "salvation through works", verses "salvation through faith". 

I'm only slightly salty, I grew up in a GCC and converted later to catholicism. I know EXACTLY Jeremys brand of christianity, because it used to be mine. I will say, most of what they believe about catholics is increadibly misinformed or downright false. For all the books Jeremy reads or how much he pretends to know about theology, I can almost guareentee he's never read the catechism or even a book by G. K. Chesterton. He probably reads from a narrow library of authors who only confirm his world view, never challenge it.

@immodest_countenance Thanks! It's certainly quite different sides of the aisle, I know we were slightly perplexing in church communities, since we alternated weekly service denominations growing up. I've wondered about how much exposure Jeremy's had to Catholic theological doctrine or if he's involved with any exchange of faith groups. When I was dating a pastor he would go to a monthly lunch and learn on different faiths and religions. He found it really helpful and could get advice or perspective, especially for counseling people who had converted or were thinking about it. While we didn't work out for a garden of reasons, I always found that a very grounded approach to help people get where they needed to by understanding where they started. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived