IGNORED

Jinger 29: New House and New Wardrobe

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

British Columbian?  And to think, the MSP is the worst provincial health plan.  Low income kids in Ontario get better coverage.  And nobody pays a fee for OHIP.

Well Ontario does have lion's share of the population, you should get something free.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Greendoor said:

Well Ontario does have lion's share of the population, you should get something free.

And PEI has the smallest yet still manages to prioritize free healthcare.  Sorry,  but BC is kinda known (at least amongst bureaucrats like me) for insane spending policies.  Or it was, during Christy Clark's reign.  Cross your fingers for Premier Horgan...

Still, I get affordable healthcare for me and my spouse so I can't really complain. I won't ever go broke because I get sick.  Neither will any of my family or friends.  When I see Americans on the news going bankrupt because they're sick... it's truly heartbreaking. 

On 22/08/2017 at 1:20 PM, candygirl200413 said:

I watched Jackson which was a documentary about the last standing abortion center in Mississippi as well as a  Crisis Center. They focused on a girl whose name is escaping me right now but she had 4 kids under the age of 5 and was only 22? 23? She was pregnant with #5 and went to a non-secular crisis center. It made me so sad because once she had her newest baby they just cared about the newborn for all of 5 seconds and ignored her other kids. Plus she asked about getting onto some form of BC and the woman was telling her that she doesn't need it because God will provide (even though the girl was already struggling hard with her kids already).

After seeing this I watched Jackson tonight, it was so heartbreaking and eye opening. Seeing the young women who at times looked so overwhelmed and struggling and the crisis center women who just seemed so oblivious was so frustrating (I felt gutted at the end when it said she was pregnant again with twins) 

Moreso seeing the actual results of the TRAP laws etc was rage inducing. 

Highly reccomend this documentary for anyone interested in the topic. 

9 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

British Columbian?  And to think, the MSP is the worst provincial health plan.  Low income kids in Ontario get better coverage.  And nobody pays a fee for OHIP.

I pay for OHIP yearly through my taxes.  Does BC have the monthly premiums and a yearly tax cost?

Jeremy has been visiting the Grace Church complex all week. This is clearly not a casual visit!

I can't figure out when their academic year begins at the Master's Seminary, but I wonder if he is going to begin online classes this semester.

So Laredo is in the 'advisory' area for Hurricane Harvey. Can anyone with more hurricane knowledge tell me what this means? Is the JerJinge residence likely to sustain damage since they're not there to board up etc?

Just now, bal maiden said:

Is the JerJinge residence likely to sustain damage since they're not there to board up etc?

There are board-up companies that will do this for you, as long as you send them $$$. Not sure where their house is, in relation to Harvey's predicted path.

47 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I pay for OHIP yearly through my taxes.  Does BC have the monthly premiums and a yearly tax cost?

Yes and it's very expensive.

1 hour ago, bal maiden said:

So Laredo is in the 'advisory' area for Hurricane Harvey. Can anyone with more hurricane knowledge tell me what this means? Is the JerJinge residence likely to sustain damage since they're not there to board up etc?

Nah, they should be fine. They are far enough inland that the wind won't be too bad. The real concern is flooding. Laredo isn't used to getting much in the way of water so they may flood but it's not likely. 

Source: person who actually lives on the gulf coast and has obsessively watched the forecast. 

[mention=21713]Beermeet[/mention] Wow, I never heard that after repentance and confessions and all that God still had to decide. Bummer. 

I was NEVER taught this in six years of Catholic school in the Most Conservative Diocese in America ™ nor did I ever hear it in ten years teaching in Catholic schools or was it taught in RCIA.

I went to a Christian pregnancy crisis center when I was 17 and pregnant with my oldest. I was naive and thought they would actually help me, maybe give me an ultrasound or some resources to have a healthy and safe pregnancy or idk, something helpful. And they seriously made it out like that's what they would do, their website talked about ultrasounds and everything.

So I get there and after they give me a pregnancy test they take me to a tiny room with a single chair and a tv. They made me watch a video about how bad abortion is while I waited. I also had to sit there and fill out a questionnaire asking me my views on abortion and if I planned on having one.

I wasn't allowed to bring my husband (he was my bf at that point) and then when they come in with the results they don't say "You're pregnant." The lady just says "Well, your baby's heart is beating now." And she hands me a little figure of a baby and says "This is what your baby looks like." It was the size of a prune and had the features of a full term baby. So that was bullshit because I was only six weeks. She immediately starts asking me if I plan on aborting and telling me all of the resources they have for me if I keep my baby. As soon as I said I wasn't going to have an abortion they were like "Okay well here's a gallon Ziplock bag with a onesie, a diaper and a bookmark with a Bible quote on it. Bye." I asked them about an ultrasound or any information on pregnancy and they looked at me like I had three heads and said that was only for women who were planning an abortion. It was like okay thanks for nothing then! 

So my *personal* experience with Christian pregnancy crisis centers is not so great. I will never donate to one. 

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I was NEVER taught this in six years of Catholic school in the Most Conservative Diocese in America nor did I ever hear it in ten years teaching in Catholic schools or was it taught in RCIA.

Same here. Catholic school and weekly mass until I opted out as a 16-year-old. We were always taught that once you confessed your sins to the priest and did the assigned penance, the slate was wiped clean and you were good to go with a pure soul.

45 minutes ago, Playagirl said:

Same here. Catholic school and weekly mass until I opted out as a 16-year-old. We were always taught that once you confessed your sins to the priest and did the assigned penance, the slate was wiped clean and you were good to go with a pure soul.

I consulted my resident Catholic "expert" here over this.  He's now very lapsed but was under serious pressure to become a priest like his uncle when he was in his late teens.  He spent some time in Seminary before deciding he could never hack it. 

He says that he was taught that the priest was God and Christ's representative on earth and could absolve you from mortal sin by saying the magic words* if the priest thought you had truly repented.  He claims this is the Catholic interpretation of John 5:23, if his memory is correct as to the exact verse.

However, he says he was also taught that only God or Jesus, as Son of God, could really know whether your repentance was genuine.  Quote:  "Fathers X and Y at Sacred Heart church, and the Jesuits who taught me theology in college, were very clear that you might be able to fool a priest by pretending to repent but God would know you were cheating and the words of the absolution said by the priest would then mean nothing."

*My apologies to any believing Catholics this offends.  I did mention that Mr. P is very lapsed.  And he likes to be a bit iconoclastic about Catholicism.

ETA, so he essentially agreed with @Beermeet, which is where, I think, this discussion started.

7 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

However, he says he was also taught that only God or Jesus, as Son of God, could really know whether your repentance was genuine.  Quote:  "Fathers X and Y at Sacred Heart church, and the Jesuits who taught me theology in college, were very clear that you might be able to fool a priest by pretending to repent but God would know you were cheating and the words of the absolution said by the priest would then mean nothing."

*My apologies to any believing Catholics this offends.  I did mention that Mr. P is very lapsed.  And he likes to be a bit iconoclastic about Catholicism.

This aligns with how Jubilee Year Special Indulgences were presented to us when I lived in Rome during the Jubilee of St. Paul.  Our teacher was a Monsignor from the English speaking branch from VC and explained that confession was a pathway of seeking mortal guidance and support similar to seeking divine intercession and support from a saint. Neither saints nor priests can give true absolution of sin, that's above their pay grade. It's been ages and my head is still pounding, but it was the first time I'd heard that viewpoint (though I don't have deep theological legs under me, so could have misinterpreted it). 

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, Henk12 said:
I went to a Christian pregnancy crisis center when I was 17 and pregnant with my oldest. I was naive and thought they would actually help me, maybe give me an ultrasound or some resources to have a healthy and safe pregnancy or idk, something helpful.... As soon as I said I wasn't going to have an abortion they were like "Okay well here's a gallon Ziplock bag with a onesie, a diaper and a bookmark with a Bible quote on it. Bye." I asked them about an ultrasound or any information on pregnancy and they looked at me like I had three heads and said that was only for women who were planning an abortion. 

The part which struck out about your story was the oh you don't get an ultrasound since you're planning on continuing the pregnancy. Essentially we don't use the ultrasound as a pregnancy resource as advertised, but rather as a tool of guilt. Basically we'll pull a bait and switch, but don't call us out cause we're doing the Lord's work.  

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, infooverload said:

The part which struck out about your story was the oh you don't get an ultrasound since you're planning on continuing the pregnancy. Essentially we don't use the ultrasound as a pregnancy resource as advertised, but rather as a tool of guilt. Basically we'll pull a bait and switch, but don't call us out cause we're doing the Lord's work.

Yep! That's exactly what they were doing. I was furious, I wasted like an hour and a half there when I could have just gone to Planned Parenthood, or an organization like that and actually gotten help. But I was 17 so I believed everyone who told me planned Parenthood would basically push abortion on me and not help. Now I know better. I needed information on prenatal vitamins and health, not a bookmark with a Anne Geddes picture and a Bible quote on it. These organizations (okay, not all of them maybe) are ridiculous. They don't actually help.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, Henk12 said:

I went to a Christian pregnancy crisis center when I was 17 and pregnant with my oldest. I was naive and thought they would actually help me, maybe give me an ultrasound or some resources to have a healthy and safe pregnancy or idk, something helpful. 

I commented to a neighbor how I had sample formula that I didn't need.  She said if I ever got more to let her know bc there was a pregnancy center next to her church. Then she continued to explain that they stocked shelves with the free shit people gave them and the new moms "earned" fake money to buy it by going to classes and appointments.

WTF.  I'm all for providing educational parenting classes, but to get free formula and essentially charge people to feed their kids.  No.

@Palimpsest. Exactly.  When I questioned ( and, oh boy did I!) that was the ultimate conclusion.  No guarantees, so don't!

Eta:  This is only the mortal sins and purgatory could be a part of your afterlife.  But,  that's a whole nother conversation. 

@OhNoNike

That's terrible. I completely agree, that's just insane. Just give someone the formula with an invite to your church/ classes and be done with it. Maybe give them a sheet with info on how to prepare formula safely in case they don't have internet access. 

Out of curiosity I started researching pregnancy help clinics and I found one that basically says "If you're considering an abortion, don't do it! It might be a waste of money. Your baby might be dead anyway so come on down and get a limited ultrasound to make sure it's not already dead or in your fallopian tubes because that's super common." I know miscarriage is actually very common but the way they word everything makes pregnancy sound like a scary death sentence and like the only way to save yourself is to go get an ultrasound with them. 

http://www.gracehouseprc.org

As someone who had a really great experience with a CPC, I feel I need to defend them a bit. Much like anything, there are good ones and bad ones. I've been going to one since before my son was born that has been amazing. They are funded by several churches, but other than some religious literature it has never been an issue. I say this as an open Atheist who has had some very frank discussions with these folks. I have several friends who have used them for pregnancy tests and the staff are very understanding and don't push an agenda. One friend was not sure what she wanted to do and they referred her to a great OBGYN who really helped her through the decision-making process. 

When I first went I was already about eight months along and they gave me a huge gift bag with newborn diapers, a dozen onesies and several outfits as well as a first aid kit, formula samples, hygiene stuff, sheets and even hand made receiving blankets with matching hats. It was a baby starter gift they gave to all new moms who joined their program. Guys, not to go mushy, but I cried. My mom had died just over a year before, we had moved to a new state a month before we found out I was pregnant and I no friends and never had a baby shower. The woman who gave it me asked if she could give me a hug and I just lost it. 

We still go on a regular basis and my little guy is almost four. Those ladies are like a bunch of grandmas and I've spent less than $100 on clothes for my son since he was born. Not to mention the hundreds saved on diapers, car seats, strollers, baby tubs and other items I earned with those horribly manipulative baby bucks. They have continuing education through high school age, clothing through age 7 and vouchers so older kids can get their own stuff from thrift stores and they work with all the local mom-related programs to get women assistance. 

I'm sorry, I get it. My experience may be unique in the US, but damn that place saved me and I just needed to say my piece.

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

He says that he was taught that the priest was God and Christ's representative on earth and could absolve you from mortal sin by saying the magic words* if the priest thought you had truly repented.  He claims this is the Catholic interpretation of John 5:23, if his memory is correct as to the exact verse.

ETA, so he essentially agreed with @Beermeet, which is where, I think, this discussion started.

Yep, I should have added that to be forgiven you had to be sincere when you confessed. If you weren't honestly repentant, then that was like lying to both the priest and to God which was worse than any other sin a kid might be confessing.  So by committing this big sin during confession, your soul wasn't actually wiped clean because God knew that you weren't sincere in your confession. Of course it's been more than 30 years since my last confession so much may have changed since then.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, CharlieInCharge said:
As someone who had a really great experience with a CPC, I feel I need to defend them a bit. 

I'm curious what part of the US are you in? I think how religion is used and presented varies regionally.

35 minutes ago, Playagirl said:

Yep, I should have added that to be forgiven you had to be sincere when you confessed. If you weren't honestly repentant, then that was like lying to both the priest and to God which was worse than any other sin a kid might be confessing.  So by committing this big sin during confession, your soul wasn't actually wiped clean because God knew that you weren't sincere in your confession. Of course it's been more than 30 years since my last confession so much may have changed since then.

So, kinda funny story.  As we prepared for our first holy communion and confession, 7 yr old me could not come up with a sin to confess.  The religion teacher was like "you've done something I'm sure".  Total pressure.  I landed up lying for my very first confession.  I felt awful.  My lie was so innocent,  I said I told my mom I ate my oatmeal when really I threw it away.  Never happened.   Mom never made oatmeal.  After that I got really scared of going to hell and took what my teacher said literally;  that if we took communion without being 100% sure in our hearts we wanted to be Catholics we were hellbound ( lovely woman, not).   So, I pleaded with my parents to let me wait.  They said yes.  They were not very religious and my dad grew up Protestant anyway.  Hence the private ceremony at grandparents church about a year later.  Grandma didn't give a shit what I felt, we are Catholics and I will make my sacraments dammit!  Lol

@Beermeet, your story reminds me of a college roommate who had gone to Catholic school.  She said she always had to lie when they had to go to confession every Friday at school.  She could never think of anything horrible that she'd done and she had to say something so she made it up. She also ended her confession by saying to the priest that she'd lied.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived