IGNORED

Dillards 31: Grifting, Lying, and Allergies

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I would think it would be the other way around.  Hospitals don't like filming, don't respect it, and will outright ban it if it gets in their way.  Most hospital rooms do not have the room for a camera crew.  Most doctors will not consent to filming and will not deal with the lighting if it bothers them.  Allowing filming by a professional crew creates a HUGE liability issue for the hospital that most of them will not even entertain taking on.  Even in the hospital births we've seen on TLC or MTV (16 and Pregnant), the labor filming is usually footage from private filming by a person allowed in the L&D room (father, grandmother, whatever), and professional footage is either after/as the mother and baby are discharged or once they are stable and in the suite.  

Edit: I think one of the reasons that the Duggars suddenly became SO pro-Home Birth is because TLC offers more for home births because they can film them.  I have no evidence to support this, but it makes sense that they would offer additional incentives if they are able to film the birth themselves.  

That's certainly an interesting thought, and would explain their sudden turn towards home births. It would make risking their own and their children's lives even more disgusting, too. I mean, risking mom's and baby's life because you are stubborn and uneducated and overestimate your own skills and knowledge is one thing. Doing it to make bank is a whole 'nother story.

I believe all the kids from Jackson on down were born while the specials/show were going on, and they were alll hospital births. Does anyone remember if we ever got to see any L&D footage, and if so, if it was professional footage?

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Edit: I think one of the reasons that the Duggars suddenly became SO pro-Home Birth is because TLC offers more for home births because they can film them.  I have no evidence to support this, but it makes sense that they would offer additional incentives if they are able to film the birth themselves.  

IIRC TLC didn't film Spurgeon's birth. They used home video. 

58 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

IIRC TLC didn't film Spurgeon's birth. They used home video. 

I don't know what IIRC means - but how sure are you? Because I swear I saw a boom from a microphone 

and who would video it ? Michelle ? 

18 hours ago, Buzzard said:

If it truly is illegal for Jill to have her fake midwives in attendance for the birth plus the risk of the VBAC plus the desire to be filmed she'll go to the hospital solely because TLC wont film it due to risk.

There may be Venessa Giron, if she hasn't gotten her license back, as a person to have nearby... but the baby's mother said while Jill was there none of the apprentices were supportive of Giron's decision to delay transfer.  Since the family could hold on to the right to request transfer if needed, "officially" she could "just be labor support".

I read a lot of forums about people who wanted a home VBAC who just planned to have an officially "unattended" birth.  Jill might think her own training would be enough, and since you can't attend your own birth she wouldn't be breaking laws.  But I hope TLC would object to depicting a "rebellion against unfair laws that don't allow her to have a licensed midwife present", rather than think "ka-ching!"

I'm not saying all home births are bad.  I know many healthy women who decided to give birth at home.  I also know a woman who had rejected hospital birth after her first give birth three more times at home.  Her last child was born with such a scary initial APGAR that the father immediately thought his son was dead.  He'd been unexpectedly large, 10.5 lbs.  Almost all guidelines now suggest that size of a baby, even in a tall, healthy multipara, warrants hospital birth.  He survived without brain damage, but they stopped there -- she wasn't going to have another hospital birth, and that experience made him reject home births.  

The only reason I can see for Jill to buy the "unfair law" BS really is that the main danger is to the mother and they're taught such reverence for mother's who sacrifice for the almighty fetus she might be okay with accepting the risk of uterine rupture.  Part of the risk calculator base research may be swayed in favor of a Cesarean because doctors would rather not play games if a woman has had several deliveries with Cesarean outcomes and the calculator puts her with that pool of women. Still, the fact she's had no other successful vaginal deliveries, according to the calculator, suggests her risk of needing another C is high.  

For everyone's safety, she should give this birth a hospital trial of labor. 

22 hours ago, SassyPants said:

26 is the cut off age for remaining on the parent's insurance, but the person needs to be a full time student, which Jill is not.

You do not have to be a full-time student. I know someone with a full-time job that offers insurance who is staying on her parents' plan because it's cheaper.

For more info:

https://www.healthcare.gov/young-adults/children-under-26/

Generally, you can join a parent’s plan and stay on until you turn 26 even if you:

• Get married
  • Have or adopt a child
  • Start or leave school
  • Live in or out of your parent’s home
  • Aren’t claimed as a tax dependent
  • Turn down an offer of job-based coverage

18 minutes ago, nst said:

I don't know what IIRC means - but how sure are you? Because I swear I saw a boom from a microphone 

IIRC means if I recall. I believe.

20 minutes ago, nst said:

If you hover over the letters it defines it for you: If I remember Correctly, but I read it as If I recall.

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

If you hover over the letters it defines it for you: If I remember Correctly, but I read it as If I recall.

True, but no "hover" option on a phone, unless someone knows how to do that? :)

I used to be a doula, and I had a couple once that was catholic and wanted to have as many children as possible. First baby was a c-section, and they wanted very much to have a vbac. I'm not sure what the number is, but I don't think you can have more than maybe 4 c-sections safely?  She did get her successful vbac, in a hospital attended by a cnm with ob back-up. I'm sure Jill has been told she can't have endless c-sections, so she is probably feeling huge pressure to achieve a successful vbac. I hope that pressure doesn't lead her to make foolish decisions. And if she doesn't get a vbac, I really sincerely hope she can come to terms with limiting family size and doesn't see this as a failure on her part.

I know Jessa and Ben talk a lot about adoption, but I can see Jill actually doing it, especially if she has another difficult labor and c-section. If she maxes out on c-sections after 4 kids, I can see her collecting hoarding adopting kids to fulfill her mega family dreams.

Fluffernutter, I think  C-sections become more risky,after the third one.But my mother had 4 C-sections.And I have read,and I may be wrong,that doctors don't like for a woman to have a vaginal delivery,if she has had 3 C-section,previously.I could be mistaken,but is it possible, in that situation,that the uterus could rupture?I had all 3 of my boys,vaginally,and my OB-Gyn,who has retired..did not want to do a VBAC,because he had seen a woman's uterus rupture.

Each C section gets harder as there is scar tissue which has to be cut open - this makes a technically tricker operation and increases risks of bleeding.  Thus doctors tend to advise against more than 4.

That said, if you've had a bazillion C sections and get pregnant again, the safest option will be a C section (there's a risk of the scar rupturing in labour especially if its week because it been zipped & unzipped loads of times).

Once you're pregnant against medical advice, the doctors will deal with it.  You won't be denied a C section.

I'm met someone on their 11th section.

If I was Jill, I'd try for a hospital VBAC with an epidural.  By having the epidural from the beginning, if things go wrong all they need to do is move her to theatre in an emergency, she's already anaesthetised, thus its safe.  While having a VBAC would be the best option if she intends to go for lots of future babies.

I'm definitely hoping things go well for Jill but I'm so curious to see how this works out. The pressure to have a Vbac this time must be intense. I've met so many women who have successfully done it so I hope she gets the same. And who knows, if she has this one in the hospital and it works out maybe the next one could be a home birth. I just wouldn't want to risk it with my first vbac at home. 

I also wonder how big this babe will be compared to Izzy. I have read that subsequent children are about 5 ounces bigger on average. I won't guess how big this baby will be just by looking at her because you can be carrying a 5 lb baby and look like you're having twins. (I'm fascinated with how women carry their babies. I think it's so cool how different we all are.) 

I really wish Jill a safe delivery. She doesn't seem as happy as she used to be and I'm sure she's having concerns about the birth. I pretty sure she has been dealing with depression after Izzy's birth which was never addressed. I just hope everything goes well this time and she doesn't need to be in so much pain. Ehh pain, makes me think of Erin Paine who admitted she was terrified of the second birth since her first one was so painful.

2 hours ago, imokit said:

I'm met someone on their 11th section.

Whoa. That's a lot. Yeah I could see her (Jill) just "leaving it up to god" and keep having baby after baby regardless of medical advice. 

I don't think TLC will film OfDwreck's 2nd birth. She's an idiot and it's probably a huge liability to them. They'll just use whatever home footage the family takes.

Look at Jessa's first birth. She didn't use an actual midwife, I bet TLC didn't film because of liability.

I had 2. That was enough. 50+ years ago my sister had her first by c section. It was England and they did the vertical  cut. 3 years later she had a VBAC. I wanted to try a VBAC 34 years ago, but the hospital wasn't set up for it.

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

they did the vertical  cut. 3 years later she had a VBAC.

wait, I thought vertical cuts aren't safe to have a VBAC after?

It would be nice if I could remember that vbac and hvac are different things without having to sort of manually correct my brain while reading. The mental images that come up are almost worth the trouble though. 

i had emergency c-sec with #1, scheduled c-sec for #2, and tried for a vbac with #3, but he was too giant (10.1!)

I had my first three babies via c/section and my last two vaginally, although my fourth only weighed 2 pounds.  I do have a Pfannenstiel (horizontal) uterine incision, but a vertical (Classical) skin incision.  I was never told by my first OB that I had a horizontal uterine incision and only discovered it when my OB with my third baby showed me my medical records.  According to some things that were going around in the early-mid 80s, Classical uterine incisions were not necessarily a barrier to VBAC.  Anyway I was glad I did not have one.  (I did wonder about why I had these  weird "stitch" sensations horizontally in my lower abdomen after my first 2 c/secs.) My third was a c/section after she went into distress after a failed trial of labor.  My OB did tell me that I could have delivered an 8 pound baby with no problem.  Babies 1, 2, and 3 were 9'5", 9'1", and 8'13", respectively.  My fifth baby was 8 pounds even.

Things have changed a lot (at least in the US) in terms of VBAC since I have my last baby in '91.  There were some studies down that showed VBAC, particularly HBAC (home birth after caesarean) to not be without risk.  I remember seeing an OB from San Diego who was famous for his 95% VBAC rate urging caution with VBAC on Lifetime back when they had medical programming on Sundays and late nights.  IIRC, there had been some maternal deaths with HBAC.  Physicians were through a phase where they were extremely cautious about VBAC, making it all but impossible to get one, but I think things have relaxed a bit in the past 20 years.

The late Bobby Kennedy's wife, Ethel, had all 11 of their children via c/section.  I read where she took her own Porthault sheets to the hospital with her to give birth.  If I had had 11 c/sections, I'd get some Porthault linens to take to the hospital, too!

Hearing these high numbers of C-sections makes me scared! I witnessed one uterine rupture where the baby unfortunately did not survive but miraculously the mother was saved (after emergency hysterectomy and a crazy high amount of blood given). I was in my final year of medical school so I had seen a lot of different operations and was shocked for weeks due to what I saw in the operating room. 

I think it was "only" her 4th or 5th c-section and the uterus just ruptured where the c-section scar was. Not only does each c-section get more difficult but the scar tissue is not as strong as regular uterus. As much as I dislike the Duggars/Dillards, I truly hope Jill's birth goes without complication.

On 6/13/2017 at 3:42 PM, SassyPants said:

Jill-with unproven birth canal....

HAS to be  thread title

Spoiler

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived