IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know so many people who graduated from high school with average grades and are terrible writers. Absolutely awful. But they are not intellectually disabled in the least. Writing just isn't their thing. And that's ok. It's just crazy that Derrick doesn't bother proof reading her stuff.

How do we know Derrick's NOT proof reading her stuff?

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pasta said:

If I learn to create a pinata, will it drastically change my living conditions? If so, I'll wiki how that right away.  

Pinatas for Jesus would be a great name for a band. 

If she had a low IQ, the SOTDRT wouldn't have negatively impacted her- she'd be performing at the level she was capable. If she has a higher IQ, then she is performing below her level. I think Jill has a normal/slightly higher than average IQ, and she probably was never taught a more formal writing style. 

In her midwife training, I assume she had to take some anatomy? Anatomy was always a challenge for me- I'm not good with rote memorization. 

17 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I read that as Pinas and thought Pina Coladas. :D

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

I read that as Pinas and thought Pina Coladas. :D

I'm sure Jesus would be pro-pina colada too!  :my_biggrin:  I know I am.  

25 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

...or the next...umm...whatever the title for the next thread is called ^_^

I do hope she works on her writing. I think it could be a wonderful tool for her, for expression and out reach. Even if it's to toe the party line.

11 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I'm sure Jesus would be pro-pina colada too!  :my_biggrin:  I know I am.  

The Dullards might attract more people if they had the perfect pina colada recipe! :P 

Jill studied for her CPM and took a 7 hour test. OK, it's not a real degree, but it shows some persistence on her part. This was as far as she was allowed to go. Under different circumstances she might have become a nurse, even with her poor education. Community colleges have remedial classes for people like Jill.

The only Duggar who comes across to me as..less than terribly bright is Binjermin.  It's sad to think what some of the 'kids' might have achieved with a different upbringing. As it stands, with Jill apparently adhering quite steadfastly to her parents' ideals, any further education would be wasted anyway.  It's a bloody shame.  

Personally to me Binjermin comes across as fairly average in terms of intelligence, but an absolutely piss poor communicator. That's probably not his fault, some people just suck at speaking, and he actually writes better than he speaks. But damn, that kid should not be aiming to become a preacher unless he can make some serious improvements in that arena.

There are definitely certain Duggars who come across to me as not so bright, but I won't call them out. I could be completely wrong about them.

28 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

The Dullards might attract more people if they had the perfect pina colada recipe! :P 

It would work much better than a tract or preaching.  I'd even show up for free booze.  

In the latest update, Jill talks about how the locals come and share their produce with them.  Are they taking food from really poor people?

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

There are definitely certain Duggars who come across to me as not so bright, but I won't call them out. I could be completely wrong about them.

Agreed! I would definately say that Josiah and Jeremiah, and maybe Joy, are probably the brightest Duggar kids of the older half. JD and Jana are a complete mystery, though...

I might add Josh to the mix, but he seems to be not only intelligent but also cunning and a hurt soul at the same time. In that, he is also a complete mystery to me, like Jana and JD.

As far as Duggars that seem like they couldbe somewhat bright. Josh and Josiah always stuck out. Maybe Jessa before her "wa la" business. Jill has always come across as the dumbest to me. Even though she legit wanted to be a midwife. She'd be one of those who couldn't be trusted to do anything on her own.

Jana stuck me as somewhat bright too in the creation museum episode because she acknowledged some parts of evolution made sense.

6 hours ago, Whydon'ttheyspeakintongues said:

In the latest update, Jill talks about how the locals come and share their produce with them.  Are they taking food from really poor people?

Maybe the locals are offering it to them because they are being polite, and it would be impolite of J&D to say "No thanks"?

Anyone I know who grows things in their own garden love sharing.

6 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Maybe the locals are offering it to them because they are being polite, and it would be polite of J&D to say "No thanks"?

Anyone I know who grows things in their own garden love sharing.

Maybe the locals have seen what the Dillards eat and are desperate to help them. Out of pity.

17 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

And being less bright, she fared even worse.

What? There are no signs she is "less bright". She was given no education, exploited on television, spent her childhood raising her siblings, and was trained that making decisions on her own was sin.  What we are seeing now is a person who has had their entire life stunted and doesn't seem to be happy with her life, but also has been brainwashed into thinking that she can't really change her life. This has nothing to do with her IQ, in a different situation I really doubt anyone would be claiming she is not bright. 

6 hours ago, Whydon'ttheyspeakintongues said:

That might be a cultural thing. I know there are some parts of the world where it's considered the height of disrespect to turn down an offer of food/hospitality. 

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

What? There are no signs she is "less bright". She was given no education, exploited on television, spent her childhood raising her siblings, and trained that making decisions on her own was sin.  What we are seeing now is a person who has had their entire life stunted and doesn't seem to be happy with her life, but also has been brainwashed into thinking that she can't really change her life. This has nothing to do with her IQ, in a different situation I really doubt anyone would be claiming she is not bright. 

I would like this twice if I could.  

I really dislike people calling other people "not bright" anyway as it's judgmental.

I have worked as an admin/executive assistant for the majority of my career and the vast majority of the executives I worked for - who made a hell of a lot more money than me - could not write/spell to save their lives.  Intelligence is a very subjective thing.

I don't think any of the Duggar kidults are mentally deficient or learning disabled or what ever you want to call it, I just think they are horrifically uneducated. I would venture that they have at best an 8th grade education, and those are the ones that WANTED to know that much, the other probably only have a 5th grade education. I'm sure not a 1 of them could pass a basic skills test for a high school graduate. Now some of them like JD, have skills knowledge, my husband says he has common sense smarts but no book smarts. We all know people who are book smart but have no common sense and seem like morons. I think wit the Duggar's you have uneducated kids but you throw in some common sense, some confidence and some personality and they can appear smarter than the others.  Take Joe & Joy IMO Joy seems very bright and Joe like a dolt. But Joy is much more personable and seem to be very self confident and therefore to me seem to be very bright.  Joe appears to have the personality of a dish rag and emotes like one as well and appears to be quite ignorant. But is he, is she?

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

What? There are no signs she is "less bright". She was given no education, exploited on television, spent her childhood raising her siblings, and was trained that making decisions on her own was sin.  What we are seeing now is a person who has had their entire life stunted and doesn't seem to be happy with her life, but also has been brainwashed into thinking that she can't really change her life. This has nothing to do with her IQ, in a different situation I really doubt anyone would be claiming she is not bright. 

And at least we've seen signs of Jill trying to learn. Even if she's a shitty Midwife and even if she's not fluent in Spanish. You can be the most intelligent person in the world, but it means shit if you don't have an interest in learning new things.

(PSA: Jill still shouldn't be delivering anyone's kids. Not unless she ever got proper training. I think she could be a good support person during labor - but not the one in charge.)

16 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

But Joy is much more personable and seem to be very self confident and therefore to me seem to be very bright.  Joe appears to have the personality of a dish rag and emotes like one as well and appears to be quite ignorant. But is he, is she?

I think this is also why the Bates seem smarter than the Duggars when they most likely aren't. The Bates have a lot of strong, out going personalities, while the Duggars tend to be more withdrawn. It also helps that the Bates have an approved Christian college right near them to send their daughters while they wait to find a husband. 

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

And at least we've seen signs of Jill trying to learn. Even if she's a shitty Midwife and even if she's not fluent in Spanish. You can be the most intelligent person in the world, but it means shit if you don't have an interest in learning new things.

(PSA: Jill still shouldn't be delivering anyone's kids. Not unless she ever got proper training. I think she could be a good support person during labor - but not the one in charge.)

I'll give Jill credit for trying to learn while she was a SAHD within the limited opportunities she was given, but I think her half-assing of things now as a married woman is all on her. She could dedicate herself to Spanish lessons, take an intensive Berlitz course with some of the thousands that they've raised, or research more successful missionaries to come up with a plan on how best to work in El Salvador. 

But like most of the Duggars, she just comes off as entitled and lazy to me. I also think because of her childhood, she doesn't even know how much work really mastering something takes. I'm torn on Jill. She does seem to have the curiosity, but not really the commitment. If she were given the opportunity to attend real nursing or midwifery school, would she really stick with it when she realized how much work it was and how humbling the experience of being at the bottom of the class is?

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived