IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: She's in Shorts?!

choralcrusader8613

10 minutes ago, Mr. Pink said:

Wearing shorts by the pool isn't the same as wearing em' out in public. Everyone dresses less modestly by the pool. This is like the Duggar equivalent of me walking around in public in my string bikini, snapping photos with strangers. Totally scandalous.

Except the Duggars dress just as modestly by the pool as they do in public. Actually their swimsuits usually cover up even MORE than their regular clothes. So even if they were by the pool, it was still out of the norm for the family for Jessa to be in shorts. If I recall correctly, everyone made a Big Deal over that too. Nothing really came of it.

Like I said though, Jinger looks cute. Show off those legs girl!

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, loosening the modesty standards just means that Jinger's headship is ok with it. Horrible beliefs are still there and will always be there unless something drastically changes. Shorts, pants, skirts, prairie dresses; same shit, different covering. 

Jessa and Jinger also wore shorts kayaking. I think both girls deserve credit for at least thinking about their safety over modesty in that situation. Jinger wearing shorts for normal day wear though is a bit different, IMO. I hope to see her continue to break the mind-hold JB has over them- hopefully in more meaningful way.

39 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Congratulations on having legs, Finger

Not sure if your autocorrect did it to you, but finishing off the sarcasm with Finger really made this post for me.

I agree that the shorts don't mean her beliefs are any different. I do like that she is no longer following her parents' modesty standards. But I fear she probably "asked" Jeremy before wearing shorts in public. And if that's the case...it's just as bad.

Though I would hope Jeremy would basically tell her she doesn't need permission from him how to dress. But that's probably wishful thinking.

Aw y'all are total killjoys! (I mean this to be light hearted. I'm new here and not sure of the culture quite yet). I think any steps the Duggar kidults take away from Jim Bob and Michelle are interesting, if not super significant to their overall outlook on life.

I'm curious as to how JB and Michelle really feel when their kids start stepping out on their rules. WIth this shorts thing as an example, do they just trust that Jeremy is properly leading Jinger and not care? Or do they feel like they failed Jinge in some way? Is shorts vs skirts even a core modeestly belief or more just a preference thing? A quick google search had Michelle quotes that made it sound like skirts are more about 'being womanly' than 'avoiding defrauding the menfolk". So maybe it's not as big a deal as say.... a low cut shirt?

Nice shorts! I sure hope those are magical shorts capable of teaching them that birth control is fine, abortion none of their damn business, and that they should be nice to The Gays because they just want to make the world a more magical place.

No? The shorts aren't magical and have no bearing on their asshole beliefs? Darn.

28 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

You do all understand that not all dyed in the wool Fundies are skirts-only?  Skirts-only was a "conviction" for a few.  Pa and Ma Duggar among them - but they were among the minority in the IBLP crowd many of whom have had women wearing  pants for years.

It is not the way they dress - it is the beliefs they profess and try to force upon the rest of us.

Wake me up when Jinger goes pro choice, not anti-GLBTQ, gets a real education, and speaks out against IBLP.  

Not when she wears rather unflattering knee length shorts.  In public, by a pool, or not.  It's nothing.  Sorry.

Yeah but this is a Duggar and she's wearing them out in her community. I'm not saying her views have changed...but this is something new and very interesting. Give her chance. She's just learning to pick shorts to actually wear out in public and not by the pool. I have those shoes in black.

58 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Wow. So Jinger is 'breaking free' because she's wearing a pair of knee length shorts out on the street, but Jessa 'gets no credit' because she wore them by the pool. Okay then. Keep the dream alive, I guess.

Jess wore mens swim shorts at a FAMILY pool party . Jinger is out in public. Duggar girls seem to avoid being seen in pants in public. Though I do think they are wearing them at home even if they put a skirt over them if boob or DQ make a fuss. I don't think this is her setting free, but this is her expressing her OWN style.  That is a nice step, and more than we've seen so far. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Pink said:

Aw y'all are total killjoys! (I mean this to be light hearted. I'm new here and not sure of the culture quite yet). I think any steps the Duggar kidults take away from Jim Bob and Michelle are interesting, if not super significant to their overall outlook on life.

I'm curious as to how JB and Michelle really feel when their kids start stepping out on their rules. WIth this shorts thing as an example, do they just trust that Jeremy is properly leading Jinger and not care? Or do they feel like they failed Jinge in some way? Is shorts vs skirts even a core modeestly belief or more just a preference thing? A quick google search had Michelle quotes that made it sound like skirts are more about 'being womanly' than 'avoiding defrauding the menfolk". So maybe it's not as big a deal as say.... a low cut shirt?

Haha. Welcome to FJ. We've been there, done that. Alyssa Bates Webster is a good example of fundie royalty who started wearing pants... And that was pretty much it. No other signs really of stepping away from the cult where it matters most. So yeah, I think a lot of us have just learned not to get our hopes up lol.

As far as what do JB and M think, I'm curious about that too. Like does JB wish he had included "Will you allow her to wear pants?" on his potential suitor questionnaire?

The point is that they have worn shorts, pants, and other things outside their parents' modesty norms before. All the girls now regularly wear skirts above the knee, whereas Michelle was so convinced that showing knees was immodest, she made TLC blur hers out when they were caught on camera at a distance and was practically crying as she explained how important it was for her to not show her knees.

Yes, it's neat that Jinger seems to feel like she has a bit more freedom with her wardrobe now, but Jessa and Jill were also seen taking various liberties with their wardrobes after marriage. Get excited that she's wearing shorts, I'm not knocking that, but please don't crack open the celebratory 'Jinger's free!!!' champagne just yet.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

You do all understand that not all dyed in the wool Fundies are skirts-only?  Skirts-only was a "conviction" for a few.  Pa and Ma Duggar among them - but they were among the minority in the IBLP crowd many of whom have had women wearing  pants for years.

It is not the way they dress - it is the beliefs they profess and try to force upon the rest of us.

Wake me up when Jinger goes pro choice, not anti-GLBTQ, gets a real education, and speaks out against IBLP.  

Not when she wears rather unflattering knee length shorts.  In public, by a pool, or not.  It's nothing.  Sorry.

Baby steps. First they have to realize theres a world outside the tin mansion and home schooling conferences. 

I think I see what she's going for with the outfit but I'd like it better if either the shorts or polo shirt were fitted. Cute though, it's a neat little change that I think was coming from a mile away.

I get the impression that most fundies care more about women wearing women's clothes and men wearing men's clothes more than they care about categorizing it all by article of clothing types (shorts, skirts, swimwear, etc). There are many fundie blog entries on headcovering "convictions." There's a huge variety, and it never seems to be a make-or-break "Christian" issue for them.

But yeah. I like it in the way I like cute Spurgeon pics, not in the way I like Ben talking about the struggles communities of color face. If that makes sense. Very different types of "like." :pb_biggrin:

I think "outta sight, outta mind". JB has bigger fish to fry. He got these girls married off, now they are someone else's problem. He has a bunch of littles no where close to being marrying age, and a boatload of boys he has to get rid of. And Josh. I suspect he takes up a lot of JB's thoughts. JB is trying to figure out the next big thing on TLC's dime. Can't be worried about them women folk.

I do wonder what Jimboob and Ofboob think of this. Are they scandalized? Or are they fine with it, because her new headship approves? As long as a woman is submitting and doing what the man in her life says, everything's hunky-dory :smiley-signs131:

I'm not really ready to call her free yet, but wow, shorts in early March. That's commitment to wearing shorts. I live in So. Cal and we aren't quite into all shorts yet for the year.

5 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

I do wonder what Jimboob and Ofboob think of this. Are they scandalized? Or are they fine with it, because her new headship approves? As long as a woman is submitting and doing what the man in her life says, everything's hunky-dory :smiley-signs131:

Leave and cleave, baby.  As Michelle said clearly. They are fine so long as Jinger's Headship approves of her nekkid knees.

13 minutes ago, Berta McGee said:

Baby steps.

:laughing-jumpingpurple:You are new here, I think, and know not what you say.   :)

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

:laughing-jumpingpurple:You are new here, I think, and know not what you say.   :)

That I am, I wandered over from the cesspool that is the Nauglers.

10 minutes ago, Berta McGee said:

That I am, I wandered over from the cesspool that is the Nauglers.

Welcome!  Duggarland at least has a septic system.

Take a look at Quiverfull of Snark too.  Fundieland has many facets.  Some shittier than others. :)

You know what I love about fundies wearing shorts and pants? 

They are practical for certain activities! This is what has always pissed me off about the Duggars wearing skirts. Sometimes that shit is either a hazard or makes it difficult for them to do activities they may enjoy. I've always though Joy would be the one wearing shorts the most if they were allowed. She's a very physical person and I bet she will wear shorts a lot when she's living and working at Fort Rock after marriage. 

So I admit I love seeing fundies in shorts, pants, and appropriate footwear because it means they are more able to do the physical things men are always allowed to do. 

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Agreed, but willing to be open minded and questions ones beliefs and rigid rules in one area of life, however small, is how people start to question other aspects of their belief system.

Thanks! Forgot to post the picture. [emoji14]

She looks adorable and NOT pregnant in this picture. #fingerscrossed #shortsarethegatewayoutoffundieland

5 minutes ago, kacarlton said:

She looks adorable and NOT pregnant in this picture. #fingerscrossed #shortsarethegatewayoutoffundieland

If Jinger carries like Alyssa Webster, she could be very pregnant. Alyssa looks like she ate a big meal at 9 months. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived