IGNORED

Tim Robertson and Tabitha Paine: April Fool's?

choralcrusader8613

On 22/4/2017 at 6:32 PM, Closed Womb said:

During my fundie-lite days there were plenty of women who had sordid pasts that were welcome with open arms into the church, especially if they were into telling their testimony, how they found the LORD and he saved them from whatever (and if they really did have a change in lifestyle.)  The bad-girls-turned-good were WELL sought after (dates, friends, etc.) at the fundie-lite church.  I also attended (as an observer, not a participant) a hard core fundie church for a year and the "women with a past" were generally well received, although tended to date/marry less often. 

I could see "fallen" women being a bit of an attraction, since it seems like so many fundie women want to have a good Testimony Of How I Found Jeebus story, but they're so sheltered that the most rebellious, shocking thing they have is stuff like "one time I talked back to my parents and then they told me I would burn in hell so I decided to let Jesus in my heart".

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
Snipping quote
  • Upvote 16

The picture Pickles posted is the exact same one that was posted on this thread on Tuesday (page before this one if you're interested in the discussion).

Well dang I totally missed that on here. I need to go back to just reading again for a while.

On 23/4/2017 at 9:54 PM, Still have a free arm said:

Well dang I totally missed that on here. I need to go back to just reading again for a while.

Don't go hiding :)

Sometimes I don't manage to log on for a good week, and so by then there's like 10 new pages (or heck even a new thread all together).  So I usually go back a good five pages and at least see if something I'm thinking was discussed "recently" :P  

That's my unsolicited advice for the night lol.

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
Removing blank space
  • Upvote 13

I think fundies ABSOLUTELY would accept, in their views, a 'slut' into the fold. They're saving souls, y'all! I mean, they'll look down on her privately, and blame anything bad happening as God punishing her, but a woman that had kids out of wedlock of multiple men would be allowed to marry in, methinks.

they need all the people they can get to populate the world with their beliefs.

Edited by FleeJanaFree
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I think fundies ABSOLUTELY would accept, in their views, a 'slut' into the fold. They're saving souls, y'all! I mean, they'll look down on her privately, and blame anything bad happening as God punishing her, but a woman that had kids out of wedlock of multiple men would be allowed to marry in, methinks.

I agree. When I was growing up, there were few crowd-pleasers on Sunday nights (aka, the land of guest speakers 'cause the preacher is spent from the morning service) like reformed sinners telling borderline-salacious tales of what their lives were like before they found Jesus. I think fundies and conservative Christians are just as fond of vicarious trainwrecks as the rest of us, they just consume it in a different format. see also: verging-on-tawdry paperbacks about the redemption of fallen women in the Christian Books section of Books-A-Million.

That said, I don't think that you'll often see such folks holding leadership positions or marrying into the prominent families.

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

No update yet? I worry about Tabitha. That wedding night was likely...unpleasant. I wonder how she's adjusted to marriage. Is the man God chose for her all she thought he would be?

• Upvote 8

I think we'll never know. She has shut down her social media and I don't see anybody in her family willingly admit that this marriage was more than a big mistake!

• Upvote 15

4 hours ago, ophelia said:

I think we'll never know. She has shut down her social media and I don't see anybody in her family willingly admit that this marriage was more than a big mistake!

I agree. The only time that we will see anything on Tim and Tabitha, may be through family. We're not going to get insight into their lives nor will it ever be said to be a mistake. 

• Upvote 10

17 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I agree. The only time that we will see anything on Tim and Tabitha, may be through family. We're not going to get insight into their lives nor will it ever be said to be a mistake. 

Unless he goes Alan Smith on her. Which I don't like to think about but is definitely a possibility.

• Upvote 5

Well, she sees the most extreme  cases of marriages (aka Josh Duggar, the Pearls,...) so as long as she doesn't suffer emotionally like Anna Duggar or physically like Debbie (?) Pearl, she sees herself as happy. She is 31 year old woman who has made her conscious decision. I was worried about her at the beginning but she will be just fine because even little acts of violence she will perceive as normal or as her fault. She will be fine in that environment as cynical as it sounds. As long as things don't go to the extreme, she will probably be happy.

When I think of them, I always wonder whether in their world there is a concept of a women's consent in marriage? Do they believe in it? Clearly, outside of marriage it's always the women's fault. But a godly woman in marriage, is she capable of consent?

• Upvote 7

Part of recovery is admitting your wrongs and making amends. Tim feels justified that he was taken off the sex offender registry. This does not bode well for Tabitha.

• Upvote 12

Aren't fundies the ones who say, "She already said yes when she married me, that's all the consent I need"?

• Upvote 16

2 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Aren't fundies the ones who say, "She already said yes when she married me, that's all the consent I need"?

i think you're right.  and that statement makes me so angry i wanted to downvote it, but i didn't want you to think i was downvoting *you*.  anyone who stands behind that statement is a first-rate scumbag (can't think of a dirty-enough word right now....).

• Upvote 27

2 minutes ago, catlady said:

i think you're right.  and that statement makes me so angry i wanted to downvote it, but i didn't want you to think i was downvoting *you*.  anyone who stands behind that statement is a first-rate scumbag (can't think of a dirty-enough word right now....).

Amen, sister, I completely agree. Scumbag he is.. first time I heard that statement, I thought, they MUST be kidding because who's that stupid?  Apparently me, because they believe that stuff.

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Not all fundies believe that crap!

• Upvote 8

I was worried about her at the beginning but she will be just fine because even little acts of violence she will perceive as normal or as her fault. She will be fine in that environment as cynical as it sounds. As long as things don't go to the extreme, she will probably be happy.

Do you realize that this statement comes across as victim blaming and condoning abuse?
  • Upvote 6

I hate every time this thread pops up just like Jahi

Edited by pook
The Jahi thread in Wild World
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Do you realize that this statement comes across as victim blaming and condoning abuse?

My post was meant in a cynical way. If you've been brought up to be submissive and that you are automatically wrong if your husband has another opinion from yours, wouldn't it be probable that your notion of happiness is distorted and you think you feel happy even though you are not? You can be brainwashed to a point where you don't even know your own feelings anymore; if it starts early enough you may not even know what kind of person you are.

• Upvote 20

10 hours ago, catlady said:

(can't think of a dirty-enough word right now....).

Spoiler

May I suggest "apocalyptic fuckhat?"

• Upvote 16

10 hours ago, eveandadam said:

My post was meant in a cynical way. If you've been brought up to be submissive and that you are automatically wrong if your husband has another opinion from yours, wouldn't it be probable that your notion of happiness is distorted and you think you feel happy even though you are not? You can be brainwashed to a point where you don't even know your own feelings anymore; if it starts early enough you may not even know what kind of person you are.

Amen. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

One of the most skin crawling statements that I have read this week. Also, sadly true. 

• Upvote 9

On 5/17/2017 at 1:32 PM, eveandadam said:

Well, she sees the most extreme  cases of marriages (aka Josh Duggar, the Pearls,...) so as long as she doesn't suffer emotionally like Anna Duggar or physically like Debbie (?) Pearl, she sees herself as happy. She is 31 year old woman who has made her conscious decision. I was worried about her at the beginning but she will be just fine because even little acts of violence she will perceive as normal or as her fault. She will be fine in that environment as cynical as it sounds. As long as things don't go to the extreme, she will probably be happy.

When I think of them, I always wonder whether in their world there is a concept of a women's consent in marriage? Do they believe in it? Clearly, outside of marriage it's always the women's fault. But a godly woman in marriage, is she capable of consent?

Oh my. This is pathetically sad, yet definite food for thought. You're probably right. I still shudder in horror thinking of their wedding night though. I just can't get rid of that thought. Tabitha does everything 'right' in her cult and 'God rewards her' with an unrepentant rapist with a superiority complex. Add in a virgin and...ugh. Even a woman with a healthy attitude about sex takes sex slower than a marriage certificate. (Kissing, cuddling, fondling, foreplay, fellatio, then sex, etc. years in the process for most people) A piece of paper means a rapist can defile you as harshly and as often as he wants in their religion. What an awful first time. I hope she's being treated with a few iotas of respect to ease her in.

• Upvote 7

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, lomo6 said:

Has anyone been following this couple? 

It's difficult since they both deactivated their FB pages and the Paines don't say much of anything about them. 

• Upvote 4