IGNORED

Dillards 26 - Grifting All The Way!

choralcrusader8613

I want to send Derrick a copy of Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. Has anyone here read it? It's about a man who takes hims family on a mission trip and they fall apart. It's a really good book. Every time i think about Jill, I think about this book.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I want to send Derrick a copy of Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. Has anyone here read it? It's about a man who takes hims family on a mission trip and they fall apart. It's a really good book. Every time i think about Jill, I think about this book.

I read that book in high school and re-read it a few months back. It's one of the books that has traveled with me every time I've moved (college, marriage, etc.) It definitely reminds me of the Dillards!

I agree with @Snarkle Motion, in a way. Yes, we all know pulling out and the rhythm method don't work nearly as well as barrier methods, IUDs, or hormonal birth control. But, if it means a young fundie couple only has seven kids instead of fifteen, then it's better than no birth control methods at all. Let me make myself clear: I think that everyone should be able to make their own reproductive choices, and being anti-birth control is directly opposed to my beliefs, because it takes away women's choices. BUT if someone has been brainwashed by a cult, or truly believes in their heart of hearts that these kinds of birth control is evil, and they still want to control their family size, these are options that they have. They can do SOMETHING, even if it's not the most effective or reliable method. Then of course you have the Michelles of the world trying to have as many babies as possible... that's a whole different story.

Hey, pulling out and/or the rhythm method are perfectly fine forms of family planning if you understand the risks involved and both spouses mutually agree that the risks are acceptable to them. If, say, you have a moral issue with other forms of birth control, and you're a in a position where you want to delay conception but you both feel it would be okay if you were to have an 'oops' baby, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using whatever form of family planning (or lack thereof) that works for you.

It is rather interesting how Jill didn't like Derick working outside of the home in NWA, and so he moved her to Scary Danger America to work outside the home.

Girl should have left her Duggar beliefs in regards to working outside the home at the altar, when she became Mrs D. Dillard and subservient to his headship.

2 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

John Shrader took the Poisonwood Bible as a how to guide to being a missionary. It seems like Derrick is getting close to Shrader levels of being a bad missionary, maybe he is being mentored by John. He just needs to get and then promptly lose a plane and a bunch of chickens and he can be in the running for World's Most Incompetent Missionary. 

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

It is rather interesting how Jill didn't like Derick working outside of the home in NWA, and so he moved her to Scary Danger America to work outside the home.

Girl should have left her Duggar beliefs in regards to working outside the home at the altar, when she became Mrs D. Dillard and subservient to his headship.

Yep! Maybe his whole reason for danger murica is because he can get a good 8+ hours away from her a day?

Remember how clingy she was while he was working at Walmart? Driving him to and from work, showing up at lunchtime. I'm sure that was nice sometimes, but I bet it was overwhelming to have all your space invaded. She reminded me of a 13 year old with a major crush, not a married woman, but what can we expect when raised how she was.

17 minutes ago, GotCaughtDancing said:

Yep! Maybe his whole reason for danger murica is because he can get a good 8+ hours away from her a day?

Remember how clingy she was while he was working at Walmart? Driving him to and from work, showing up at lunchtime. I'm sure that was nice sometimes, but I bet it was overwhelming to have all your space invaded. She reminded me of a 13 year old with a major crush, not a married woman, but what can we expect when raised how she was.

In retrospect I'm pretty sure these were Jill showing early signs of seperation anxiety. I think Jill is terrified of being by herself for extended periods of time. 

2 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

In retrospect I'm pretty sure these were Jill showing early signs of seperation anxiety. I think Jill is terrified of being by herself for extended periods of time. 

She's not by herself...she's got the man kid.

On 2/18/2017 at 7:55 AM, KelseyAnn said:

Not to mention that she had had how many kids before this one? I mean I know not all labors are the same but you think after two or three kids, the foruth wouldn't take forever to come. 

I was reading this while visiting with my mother. She laughed and proceeded to tell me how her doctor told her the same thing - that the more kids the quicker the labour. She wanted the epidural with my brother but because I had come so fast (4 hours from water breaking to actually being born) the doctor told her he would come just as quick and refused to give it to her. Little brother took 22 hours of labour. :pb_lol:

Now I regret reading on FJ while visiting my mother because every single time I do I end up having to hear one of her birth stories lol.

On 2017-02-17 at 0:56 PM, Mercer said:

From the early stages of our lives, the Lord has put a deep love and care in both of our hearts for all peoples of the world that they would come to repentance and put their hope in the Lord, Jesus Christ.

I'm quoting the two dumbbells here. Not sure if Jill or Derick wrote it, but it doesn't matter.

Here's what bothers me: They're explicitly saying they DON'T love "the peoples of the world" for their own sake. They don't admire other people's languages, or culture, or social arrangements, or childcare practices, or art, or music, or ....

J & D are not interested in learning from "the peoples of the world," or appreciating their ways.

No. The ONLY thing J & D "love and care" about is converting these people to their own bigoted, limited, ungenerous, UNcaring, UNloving belief system.

From their point of view, a convert is a notch in the belt.

On 2/21/2017 at 11:17 AM, MargaretElliott said:

I agree with @Snarkle Motion, in a way. Yes, we all know pulling out and the rhythm method don't work nearly as well as barrier methods, IUDs, or hormonal birth control. But, if it means a young fundie couple only has seven kids instead of fifteen, then it's better than no birth control methods at all. Let me make myself clear: I think that everyone should be able to make their own reproductive choices, and being anti-birth control is directly opposed to my beliefs, because it takes away women's choices. BUT if someone has been brainwashed by a cult, or truly believes in their heart of hearts that these kinds of birth control is evil, and they still want to control their family size, these are options that they have. They can do SOMETHING, even if it's not the most effective or reliable method. Then of course you have the Michelles of the world trying to have as many babies as possible... that's a whole different story.

https://www.optionsforsexualhealth.org/birth-control-pregnancy/birth-control-options/effectiveness

Agreed. You can certainly cut your chances of pregnancy down, even if it's not perfect. 

Regarding flying back and forth so many times. I spent a week in Guatemala a couple years ago for a project (building better bathrooms at a school - not in any way a religious trip) and we were working with some Americans who worked at a local health clinic. They all had to cross the border every 6 months to get their passports stamped for exit and re-entry. Maybe El Salvador has a similar requirement, and instead of taking a bus to the nearest border, they fly home instead.

How does the conversation to convert a Catholic go, exactly? Yes it's great you believe in Jesus, but you're doing it wrong?

On 2/21/2017 at 10:09 AM, fluffernutter said:

Derrick would never read a book by a >GASP< evil liberal WOMAN...but I have also thought a lot about this novel when I read about their "ministry" and their contempt for the brown people aka "flock." 

"Tata Jesus is bangala!!!":pb_lol:

it also reminds me of this quote from Rick Steves that does NOT apply to the Dillards-

“Travel is rich with learning opportunities, and the ultimate souvenir is a broader perspective.” 

All this discussion of Zika and how possible worry about it could be affecting the Dillards' moods, causing anxiety or depression, I just don't think so.

If they have this concern, I think they'd be very open and vocal about it- probably asking for prayers, at least. Because as much as I dislike all of them, I DO believe they believe in the power of prayer.

Plus, even if they don't believe they've been exposed and have put their unborn at risk, wouldn't they milk their unselfishness (their definition) for all it's worth? Good, true Christians place their faith in god and carry on to do HIS will, don't they?

I don't think they'd continue on, stoically, not when they can exploit their followers for recognition, and possibly more mission funding.

36 minutes ago, kmary1 said:

How does the conversation to convert a Catholic go, exactly? Yes it's great you believe in Jesus, but you're doing it wrong?

As a Catholic myself who is rolling her eyes at what the Dullards are trying to do, this comment made my day lol 

1 hour ago, kmary1 said:

My impression is that the Dullards and those of their ilk think Catholics lack a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ," which they interpet as saying the Sinner's Prayer, asking Jesus to be your "personal Lord and Saviour," and then going to an IFB church three or four times a week. However, this whole business about Christianity being about a "personal relationship with Christ" only dates back to the 19th century and is a very American and very Protestant view of religion (ie individuals believing the right things, rather than religion being about what you do and who you do it with). By the Dullards standards, the only "real Christians" are and have ever been a handful of white fundamentalist American Protestants, and everyone else did it wrong.

12 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

My impression is that the Dullards and those of their ilk think Catholics lack a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ," which they interpet as saying the Sinner's Prayer, asking Jesus to be your "personal Lord and Saviour," and then going to an IFB church three or four times a week. However, this whole business about Christianity being about a "personal relationship with Christ" only dates back to the 19th century and is a very American and very Protestant view of religion (ie individuals believing the right things, rather than religion being about what you do and who you do it with). By the Dullards standards, the only "real Christians" are and have ever been a handful of white fundamentalist American Protestants, and everyone else did it wrong.

Fascinating.  You are saying that Catholics don't have a relationship with Jesus?  And what's the Sinner's Prayer?  (Non-Christian here.  Genuine, non-snarky question.)

49 minutes ago, meee said:

Fascinating.  You are saying that Catholics don't have a relationship with Jesus?  And what's the Sinner's Prayer?  (Non-Christian here.  Genuine, non-snarky question.)

Certain types of Protestants don't think that Catholics have a personal relationship with Jesus. In my experience, it's because Catholic services can be very reserved and/or formal, and those types of Protestants can have very lively services, with hand-raising, saying Amen in the middle of the sermon, etc.

Here's a link to the Wiki article about the Sinner's Prayer: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinner's_prayer

ETA correct link because I suck

1 minute ago, meee said:

From the Dullards' perspective, Catholics don't have a relationship with Christ because they belong to a "false religion" that stresses salvation and justification through works, rather than faith. This is quite ironic, since Gothardism is probably the most legalistic and "works-based" iteration of Christianity that I know of, since Gothard teaches that soft curls are the "godliest" hairstyle, among other howlers. This is a good article on the Sinner's Prayer:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinner's_prayer

Getting someone to pray some iteration of the Sinner's Prayer is considered a successful example of "soul winning" among many IFBers, although I wonder how many people just say it to get them to shut up.

If you actually think "pull out" is a contraception method, please visit the Jinger and Jeremy thread where there is a lot of discussion as to why it does not work. And I can't believe that it has come up twice in just a few days. We need better sex education in this country! 
As for the rhythm method: also not an effective method of contraception. Natural Family Planning to utilize periodic abstinence may be what you are thinking of, but it is much more complex. The two most commonly taught methods involve tracking either cervical mucus or basal body temperature. 

Oh I know it's not. I was just kind of being sarcastic. And I read that thread too. It is amazing that so many people still actually rely on it.

On 2/21/2017 at 7:09 AM, fluffernutter said:

I love that book! :my_biggrin: I read it over the course of a vacation I took where I had a round trip flight across the country, and that whole final chapter where Ruth narrates had me bawling my eyes out on the plane (I think that's the youngest daughter's name, and hopefully that description of the last chapter is vague enough not to give away any spoilers to those who haven't read the book yet.) 

I feel like fundies need to read it as a precautionary guide before stubbornly attempting to avoid having a real job via a mission abroad. :my_dodgy: Jill definitely has the same sort of meekness to her energy that the mom in "The Poisonwood Bible" did, which doesn't bode well for a succuessful mission, even if it makes Derrick feel like a manly headship :pb_rollseyes:

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I wish I could like this 10 times!  My family is Catholic, and although I'm not a believer, I've tried to explain to friends that religion isn't just about what you believe and I get nothing but blank stares. 

5 hours ago, kmary1 said:

From what I've seen as a fly on the wall during these conversations, the converter will emphasize that the Bible doesn't say that an individual needs another person to absolve them of their sins, but that each person has a personal connection to Jesus, if they want it. Ergo, priests are being dishonest by encouraging confessions. The converter will ask the Catholic where in the Bible Jesus says we need priests/Communion/the Pope to get to heaven.

They will also stress the "faith alone, not works" argument as Cleopatra said, maybe some stuff about Mary and the Saints being mortals, but they usually lead in with the "Jesus, not man, forgives your sins" stuff.

That's typically the basis of their "Catholics don't have a personal relationship with Jesus" stuff--they disagree with the idea that priests need to act as an intermediary. The fundamentalist Protestants I've met might also have an issue with the recited prayers, more subdued and formal services, and rosaries, but I think these are just an extension of their issues with priests and the Vatican.

And there are a lot of rumors flying around Fundamentalistville too, like that Catholics aren't allowed to read the Bible and can't say extemporaneous prayers to Jesus, that they believe Mary is a goddess, and that all the services are completely in Latin and no one knows what's going on.

I was raised Catholic, I don't go to mass but I know enough to know these people are wrong about the Catholic Church. Jill and Derick need to focus on ,their growing family and stop grifting to go on a pointless mission. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived