IGNORED

Dillards 26 - Grifting All The Way!

choralcrusader8613

I am glad to read about the concerns for Zika on here. I first found out she was pregnant again from some story on Yahoo news and I scrolled the comments to see if anyone besides me was concerned about Zika. My understanding was that you shouldn't get pregnant for 2 years after possible exposure. Silly me thought they actually might go against their beliefs and use BC of some sort to protect their child. I know they feel they need to have as many kids as they possibly can but I really thought for the safety of their future baby they could use SOME sort of protection. I mean obviously the pill is evil because it can technically be considered abortion (according to my super religious ex husband). But a condom! Pull out! Rhythm method! Seriously. Are they really so ignorant that they don't know about Zika? I mean, Derick is at least educated. He had to have had at least some science classes, right? Do they really not understand about bc? I'm rambling but this just frustrates me to no end. Anyone else feel this way?

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to break up the thread of the idiocy of the Dillard's, because they certainly are idiots. I just want to say one of my favorite Halloween costumes of all time was of a girl in 2008 dressed as Sarah Palin. She had the hair, glasses, dress and everything. Plus, on top she had a para sail attached to her. Get it? Sarah Palin parasailin'?

12 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't understand Derick. If it's so dangerous and scary, don't take your fucking family there. If you genuinely believe that you are there for a purpose and God will protect you, or if you're harmed in some way it's okay because you were following God's will, fine, but then shut up about how dangerous and scary it is. No one cares. No one made you move there! What kind of amazing testimony do you think dragging your pregnant wife and toddler down to Central America, complaining about how awful it is, and going into town to do Bible studies in broken Spanish once a week is? It's shit, Derick. It's shit.

He gets off on the martyr complex. I think that like John Schrader, he has some weird fantasy of "pacifying" the violent, savage natives who want to rape his pretty white wife and fight him. He wants to play at being Mighty Whitey, his family's well-being be damned.

5 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

I would think TLC could legally pay anyone the adult children gave permission for them to pay. If the funds are direct deposited, TLC just has to have a routing and account number, right?  TLC wouldn't necessarily have information as to who has access to the account.

My guess is there's a family trust that the funds go into.  I don't have any evidence or anything to base that on, it's purely a guess based on how they were raised and how they live.  It's easy for me to imagine that JB feels entitled to at least a portion of the kids' money on the basis that the show wouldn't exist if not for him and Michelle (and that he could easily convince the kids of that too). And, I mean, their entire lives are about not allowing the kids to have privacy and autonomy.  I'm not sure why that would change now.  

They cannot just pay JB. I remember a case where a woman got a job and wanted her paycheck issued in her husband's name because of their "sincerely held religious beliefs" that woman should not be able to support themselves. It was refused and they were told it was illegal. I don't remember the source but I believe it was in CA and the woman was trying to be a teacher.

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Is anyone else humming "Jingle Bells" every time they read the thread title?

Yep, I am!  We need one of @thoughtful's great song parodies in this thread.

@PumaLover, well Derick did go to Oklahoma State and to quote that old classic The Underground College of Your Choice "Stillwater breeds still minds" which refers the fact that Oklahoma State is/was not exactly a hotbed of college radicalism or open minds.  (This was written about 1969 or 70 and no offense is intended for any FJites that are alumni.)  It could be that OSU doesn't require any hard sciences.  You can graduate from there with a course like "Rocks for Jocks" if your major doesn't demand that you take sciences.  I imagine that accounting has few, if any, science requirements.  I found the non-science major science classes at UGA to be a bit boring.  I had harder stuff in high school.

1 hour ago, Kelsey said:

They cannot just pay JB. I remember a case where a woman got a job and wanted her paycheck issued in her husband's name because of their "sincerely held religious beliefs" that woman should not be able to support themselves. It was refused and they were told it was illegal. I don't remember the source but I believe it was in CA and the woman was trying to be a teacher.

Right. I'm not suggesting the checks are made out to JB. I would not be surprised, however, if the checks (made out to the couples or each person individually) are being deposited into a family trust account. Legally they would still be entitled to it. Practically speaking, JB may hold the reins.

Derrick is John Shrader 2.0. Derrick and Jill do not care about the people in Central America. Jill rarely leaves their missionary home to even socialize with them. Going there is all about establishing their "Godly mission" work. The way they refer to how dangerous it is constantly is sort of racist and hyper-phobic. If they talked about a city like Chicago this way all the time, it wouldn't sound right at all. Instead of hammering on about how "dangerous it is" (which unveils their racist tendencies), they should instead be talking about what they actually hope to do and improve there, such as assist them with  building homes and tutoring etc, but NO. Derrick and Jill yap out the danger to make themselves appear "above" their culture and doing "Godly missionary work". What they are doing is just like Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness novel. Derrick and Jill are the missionary invaders and see everyone else as "savages". The audacity they have to ask fans for money to support them? Sick.

No one here knows which Duggar  does or does not draw an individual paycheck from TLC.

What we do know:

JB has amassed a bunch a crap without seemingly holding much of a job for the last 30 years. JB supposedly dropped a couple of hundred thousand on his failed legislative run.

They own a plane (or2) that JD and Josiah can fly.

The Dillards are on a mission trip

Jeremy is a pastor in a very small home church in Laredo, TX.

No one else of adult age has an independent, individual , paying job.

Much like Trump's, I'd loved to see JB's tax returns for the last 25 years.

Can JB still claim 27 YO Jana and JD on his tax return?

2 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I am glad to read about the concerns for Zika on here. I first found out she was pregnant again from some story on Yahoo news and I scrolled the comments to see if anyone besides me was concerned about Zika. My understanding was that you shouldn't get pregnant for 2 years after possible exposure. Silly me thought they actually might go against their beliefs and use BC of some sort to protect their child. I know they feel they need to have as many kids as they possibly can but I really thought for the safety of their future baby they could use SOME sort of protection. I mean obviously the pill is evil because it can technically be considered abortion (according to my super religious ex husband). But a condom! Pull out! Rhythm method! Seriously. Are they really so ignorant that they don't know about Zika? I mean, Derick is at least educated. He had to have had at least some science classes, right? Do they really not understand about bc? I'm rambling but this just frustrates me to no end. Anyone else feel this way?

The CDC website suggests the following:

IMG_8752.PNG

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/women-and-their-partners.html

I believe the Dills returned stateside in early August. With a July due date, it's likely that they conceived sometime in October - just about one week over the eight week window recommended by the CDC for women, but much shorter than the six month window for men. Symptoms usually start two to seven days after being bite (per the Mayo Clinic) - even tacking on an extra week, they'd still be (barely) out of that eight week time frame. If Derick didn't have Zika then the baby would most likely be perfectly fine.

The problem with Zika is that it doesn't always present symptoms in affected people - meaning not everyone who has it will get tested for it or will realize they should wait to conceive. So there is still a chance that Jill and the baby were exposed.

I think they know about the risks associated with Zika. But I also think that they feel protected by God because they're super speshul snowflakes. I don't know whether Derick would use other protective measures either - he likely knows about condoms and such, but he also seems to have dove head first into the pool of koolaid that his wife was baptized in...

What kind of job and work is Derrick going to be eligble for in a year or two from now, assuming they are done with their missionary work? From what I understand, after Derrick graduated from college, he was a missionary for two years. Then married Jill, and worked for Walmart Corporate (as a tax accountant?) for one year, left and has been on and off in their Central America missionary work for 1.5 years.

What companies would want to have a potential liability, of hiring a Duggar, associated with them? Look at how all the sponsors do not want their brands affiliated with them at all.

When Derrick goes back to work, people are going to be hiring him based on relevant experience. His experience has been spent doing missionary work.

I am concerned for them. But do you know who is NOT concerned for them? Jim Bob. Jim Bob knows that he has the $$$ to keep Derrick and Jill under his control. He knows Derrick has run away from his career and has nowhere else to go besides Jim Bob or the missionary work. He has wooed them over with staying in his mansions when they come home. Jim Bob is a control-freak and I really do think he's turning his entire family into a cult.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Yep, I am!  We need one of @thoughtful's great song parodies in this thread.

@PumaLover, well Derick did go to Oklahoma State and to quote that old classic The Underground College of Your Choice "Stillwater breeds still minds" which refers the fact that Oklahoma State is/was not exactly a hotbed of college radicalism or open minds.  (This was written about 1969 or 70 and no offense is intended for any FJites that are alumni.)  It could be that OSU doesn't require any hard sciences.  You can graduate from there with a course like "Rocks for Jocks" if your major doesn't demand that you take sciences.  I imagine that accounting has few, if any, science requirements.  I found the non-science major science classes at UGA to be a bit boring.  I had harder stuff in high school.

Just looked up the OSU accounting degree requirements for 2010-2011 (the earliest available school year - Derick graduated in 2011) and it only required 7 hours of "Natural Sciences" (systematic study of natural processes and the mechanisms and consequences of human intervention in those processes), and one "Scientific Investigation" course (laboratory experience aimed at interpreting scientific hypotheses). He could have easily avoided the "hard" sciences with these requirements.

Just looked up the OSU accounting degree requirements for 2010-2011 (the earliest available school year - Derick graduated in 2011) and it only required 7 hours of "Natural Sciences" (systematic study of natural processes and the mechanisms and consequences of human intervention in those processes), and one "Scientific Investigation" course (laboratory experience aimed at interpreting scientific hypotheses). He could have easily avoided the "hard" sciences with these requirements.

Interesting, thanks! Just something I've always been curious about. I mean he only has one brother so he has to be at least kind of aware of contraception. The Quiverfull brainwashing amazes me. I cannot imagine a world where I would be happy and fulfilled being constantly pregnant or having a newborn. Blech.

43 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

Interesting, thanks! Just something I've always been curious about. I mean he only has one brother so he has to be at least kind of aware of contraception. The Quiverfull brainwashing amazes me. I cannot imagine a world where I would be happy and fulfilled being constantly pregnant or having a newborn. Blech.

I would not equate number of siblings to awareness of contraception. It is quite possible that the Dillard parents just were that fertile between the two of them. It's more likely that they used some form of family planning, but I doubt they ever shared that information with their kids, and Derrick may not give it a lot of thought.

I'm the youngest of two, with a four year gap between us, plus a seven year gap between my parents wedding and first child. As an adult with a degree in public health and experience teaching sex ed, I know my parents must have used some type of contraception, but we've never actually talked about it, and I generally don't give much thought to it. (I'm more interested in getting my mom to outright confirm that she smoked pot in college, but that's mostly for my own entertainment)

25 minutes ago, mpheels said:

{snip}... (I'm more interested in getting my mom to outright confirm that she smoked pot in college, but that's mostly for my own entertainment)

she might be smoking it now, no telling what us old ladies could be up to ^_^

5 hours ago, Kelsey said:

When I taught at Christian school, there was a woman who requested that her contract be signed by her husband and her paycheck be in his name. They had to explain that neither would be legal. Her name was not even on any of their bank accounts and they had to add her name to one because the school used direct deposit and could not deposit her pay to an account without her name on it. 

31 minutes ago, mpheels said:

I'm the youngest of two, with a four year gap between us, plus a seven year gap between my parents wedding and first child. As an adult with a degree in public health and experience teaching sex ed, I know my parents must have used some type of contraception, but we've never actually talked about it, and I generally don't give much thought to it. (I'm more interested in getting my mom to outright confirm that she smoked pot in college, but that's mostly for my own entertainment)

I am the youngest of two by nearly six years. And my brother was born a bit over two years after their wedding. They actually had fertility issues. So you can't just assume. 

6 hours ago, PumaLover said:

But a condom! Pull out! Rhythm method! Seriously. Are they really so ignorant that they don't know about Zika? I mean, Derick is at least educated. He had to have had at least some science classes, right? Do they really not understand about bc? I'm rambling but this just frustrates me to no end. Anyone else feel this way?

If you actually think "pull out" is a contraception method, please visit the Jinger and Jeremy thread where there is a lot of discussion as to why it does not work. And I can't believe that it has come up twice in just a few days. We need better sex education in this country! 

As for the rhythm method: also not an effective method of contraception. Natural Family Planning to utilize periodic abstinence may be what you are thinking of, but it is much more complex. The two most commonly taught methods involve tracking either cervical mucus or basal body temperature. 

My dad thought he and my mom were infertile when I showed up(they like referring to at as a surprise) I was born 5 years into their marriage. I always thought that my dad stopping pot to get a government job was why I was conceived at that time. My parents were both users at one point. It's not a big deal to me.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

{snip}

I believe the Dills returned stateside in early August. With a July due date, it's likely that they conceived sometime in October - just about one week over the eight week window recommended by the CDC for women, but much shorter than the six month window for men. Symptoms usually start two to seven days after being bite (per the Mayo Clinic) - even tacking on an extra week, they'd still be (barely) out of that eight week time frame. If Derick didn't have Zika then the baby would most likely be perfectly fine.

The problem with Zika is that it doesn't always present symptoms in affected people - meaning not everyone who has it will get tested for it or will realize they should wait to conceive. So there is still a chance that Jill and the baby were exposed.

{snip}

To me, the bolded is the rhino in the room. I haven't seen it discussed that Derrick could have actually had Zika (apologies if I missed it, if discussed upthread)...if true, that could explain so much:  both Jill and Derick's total change of personality, D's sickly appearance and crazy man rants, J's obvious depression and detachment

I haven't read and digested all of the info regarding Zika and pregnancy by any means (I can barely keep up with FJ, and that's on a good day :P), not trying to diagnose anyone...

Okay I get that in the modern era pull out and rhythm method are not methods people use for contraception. But I kind of wish people would dial back the animosity for these method, especially considering that for fundies who believe that birth control is evil these may be their only options. Yeah these have their problems but it's something. Clearly there are better options but we are also talking about people who have very distorted views about contraception.

I suspect that Erin Bates may have tried these methods first - which I don't fault her for as they are the most consistent with her beliefs - and time will tell if the couple decides to make adjustments. 

4 minutes ago, goldengrove said:

To me, the bolded is the rhino in the room. I haven't seen it discussed that Derrick could have actually had Zika (apologies if I missed it, if discussed upthread)...if true, that could explain so much:  both Jill and Derick's total change of personality, D's sickly appearance and crazy man rants, J's obvious depression and detachment

I haven't read and digested all of the info regarding Zika and pregnancy by any means (I can barely keep up with FJ, and that's on a good day ), not trying to diagnose anyone...

They were likely in an area where Zika could have been transmitted. So it is possible that one or both contracted Zika. It's also possible they didn't though. We can't know unless they choose to share that information and I don't think they really have an obligation to do so. 

Symptoms of Zika:

IMG_8790.PNG

For the record, I think Derick's rants have nothing to do with any potential illness and everything to do with him actually being a massive asshole.

Jingle bells, holy hells

What are we to do?

We're flying back to Zika

While Jill's preg with #2

SOS, we are blessed

Jesus will provide

Just hit the Donate button

And tell Jill to stay inside

Violence, times are tense

There are gang attacks

Good thing we'll show up later

With our bibles and some snacks

I think JillyMuffin will never go see a doctor in CA, even if she had Zika symptoms- just remember in one episode when they blurred out her knees!

If she's not able to let anyone see her knees, she wouldn't even let anyone touch her belly! Especially by "simple" living people in El Salvador.

Forgive me if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but in my half awake, caffeine deprived state this morning, a question occurred to me.  Did these two come back to good ole, ArKansas for the sole purpose of conceiving #2?  Mission accomplished (hehe get it bc they're "missionaries") they now head back to Sintral 'Murcia to peddle Jeebus to the evil brown Catholics?  

Did anyone watch Counting On last night, the 2-hour wedding fraktacular? There was a scene at the Arkansas airport, and in the background you could definitely see signs warning travelers of Zika. This was filmed just last November. The threat is still real JillyMuffy.

31 minutes ago, CinnaJen said:

Forgive me if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but in my half awake, caffeine deprived state this morning, a question occurred to me.  Did these two come back to good ole, ArKansas for the sole purpose of conceiving #2?  Mission accomplished (hehe get it bc they're "missionaries") they now head back to Sintral 'Murcia to peddle Jeebus to the evil brown Catholics?  

Pretty much yes. Well there was also JinJer wedding...

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived