IGNORED

Eighteen Batesesss

Destiny

The puppy thing killed me too.  She is definitely crazy to get a puppy right before having a baby.  I did like when he said that he now had "3 bottoms to wipe".  And the fleas! I'm betting that it was Chad's job to bathe the puppy too.  Bless him.  If my husband brought home a flea ridden puppy when I was 9 months preggo, or vice versa the puppy would not last the night.  Back to the breeder he'd go. 

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly admitted in the comments she never noticed the mistake. Oh, Kelly.

Bradley turns two tomorrow. Expect God to be mentioned.

20 hours ago, Scribber said:

I'm late to the game...

My friend is a teacher and has a "Barracuda" in her 8th grade class. 

That same friend? Her last name is Rhodes. And she has a daughter named Icy. (Isis, but they call her Icy. Because apparently that's better.) 

I taught older kids for a while, aside from the unpronounceable international names, I had a few names that were more 'what were the parents thinking moments'.

I had a kid named Semaj. Not even kidding. His parents named him James backwards. Sweet kid too. Sad name.

Also had a Tan'aye - she had an apostrophe in her name. It was in her school records and everything. Also had the usual Precious and Sapphire. It's just so hard standing in front of a class trying to discipline 32 kids when you call out names that are just random words.

Can't believe they blurred out the small amount of cleavage on the lady selling the puppy. But then again, the Duggars blur out knees so I really shouldn't be surprised.

IMG_0311.JPG

Call me crazy, but i actually enjoy watching Bringing Up Bates far more than I do Counting On.
Yes they are cheesy and yes they are crazy in their beliefs, but i get the feeling that even if they are living in their little fundie bubble, they are at least happy and have positive encouragement from Gil/Kelly to achieve something in their lives other than stay trapped at thome controlled by Daddy.
Again, just my humble opinion, not saying that is everyone elses's view whatsoever.

If you read back on the forums, most everyone agrees that the Bates seem to behave more naturally and like a typical family than the Duggars. Your statement isn't new. But that shouldn't be a source of comfort, wolves in sheeps clothing and all that. Branding does a lot for image. The Duggars were always marketed as a freak show, while BUB made the Bates look like a normal family, just larger. There is plenty of sex abuse cover up by the Bates parents. Imo they are no better than the Duggs, in some ways more dangerous. I hope the Bates girls didn't experience what the Duggar girls endured, and if that makes you like watching them more, go for it. But understand that we get posts like yours ALL THE TIME here and I'd rather not get into it again.

3 hours ago, missegeno said:

If you read back on the forums, most everyone agrees that the Bates seem to behave more naturally and like a typical family than the Duggars. Your statement isn't new. But that shouldn't be a source of comfort, wolves in sheeps clothing and all that. Branding does a lot for image. The Duggars were always marketed as a freak show, while BUB made the Bates look like a normal family, just larger. There is plenty of sex abuse cover up by the Bates parents. Imo they are no better than the Duggs, in some ways more dangerous. I hope the Bates girls didn't experience what the Duggar girls endured, and if that makes you like watching them more, go for it. But understand that we get posts like yours ALL THE TIME here and I'd rather not get into it again.

While I absolutely get your points, there's something about comments like yours that bother me and I think I've figured it out. People on here, like myself, keep hoping that these people step away from this horrible lifestyle. Yet when the Bates are showing signs of doing this like allowing the girls to go to Crown, they are deemed to be the more dangerous of the families simply because they're atill fundies. While they both have these terrible beliefs and that likely isn't going away soon, at least the Bates don't completely shelter their kids like the Duggars. While you view the more seemingly normal upbringing the Bates portray as clever marketing of the brand that makes it more appealing, I see it as the family actually becoming more normal. Surely they realize that the seemly normal things they do that are normally frowned upon in their culture as not as bad as they seem. The more they realize this the more they'll be tempted to try new things. Maybe I'm being naive or overly optimistic, but this is how I see things. I know that there are probably many here that don't agree with my assessment. I say this at the risk of being called a leghumper, which I'm not. Hopefully that's not how I come across.

1 hour ago, anaandrade said:

While I absolutely get your points, there's something about comments like yours that bother me and I think I've figured it out. People on here, like myself, keep hoping that these people step away from this horrible lifestyle. Yet when the Bates are showing signs of doing this like allowing the girls to go to Crown, they are deemed to be the more dangerous of the families simply because they're atill fundies. While they both have these terrible beliefs and that likely isn't going away soon, at least the Bates don't completely shelter their kids like the Duggars. While you view the more seemingly normal upbringing the Bates portray as clever marketing of the brand that makes it more appealing, I see it as the family actually becoming more normal. Surely they realize that the seemly normal things they do that are normally frowned upon in their culture as not as bad as they seem. The more they realize this the more they'll be tempted to try new things. Maybe I'm being naive or overly optimistic, but this is how I see things. I know that there are probably many here that don't agree with my assessment. I say this at the risk of being called a leghumper, which I'm not. Hopefully that's not how I come across.

Going to Crown isn't stepping away from the lifestyle though, even for the women. Women are allowed (if not encouraged, it is within IBLP teachings to allow it for certain reasons/degrees/get your MRS./etc) to attend online classes or religious institutions with the same fundamentalist views. Not to mention that being a non-IBLP fundie is still plenty dangerous so I don't really find changing flavors of fundie to be an encouraging sign. If the ice cream is poison it doesn't really matter whether it is chocolate or vanilla. The Bates have not done anything that doesn't fall in line with dangerous fundamentalist thinking OR anything that steps outside the *core* values of IBLP (as opposed to some of the more "optional" convictions that many IBLP followers share but which are not necessary to be accepted in the fold).

To be clear, I would be happy to see the Bates take any steps, even small, which actually remove themselves from the IBLP fold and way of thinking. But nothing they have done so far actually removes themselves from that fold, it just *looks* more progressive without actually being anything the cult doesn't already allow or sanction.

14 hours ago, season of life said:

Kelly admitted in the comments she never noticed the mistake. Oh, Kelly.

Bradley turns two tomorrow. Expect God to be mentioned.

Is it wrong that my first thought is wondering if Whitney's going to announce she's pregnant like she did at his first birthday party?

6 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

To be clear, I would be happy to see the Bates take any steps, even small, which actually remove themselves from the IBLP fold and way of thinking. But nothing they have done so far actually removes themselves from that fold, it just *looks* more progressive without actually being anything the cult doesn't already allow or sanction.

This and everything else @OrchidBlossom, said.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, anaandrade said:

Maybe I'm being naive or overly optimistic, but this is how I see things. I know that there are probably many here that don't agree with my assessment. I say this at the risk of being called a leghumper, which I'm not. Hopefully that's not how I come across.

The vast majority of people here want these people to step away from this horrible lifestyle.   Pointing out that the Bateses are not showing real signs of moving away from extreme fundamentalist beliefs does not mean that anyone wants them to continue following those dangerous teachings.  Providing a reality check is not tantamount to calling anyone a leghumper.  

You are perhaps naive and overly optimistic - but more probably you are unaware of the scope of and and variations within extreme Christian Fundamentalism.   Some people here know a lot about it from personal experiences with that belief system and their opinions should be respected.

I'm not trying to get into the debate about who the better family is but one thing I know for sure is that the Bates show is better. It's funny and endearing, much as I hate to admit it. I think part of that is probably due to better marketing/better media savvy. But I think it also has to do with some kind of fundamental difference in the dynamics of the two families. I'm not sure exactly what it is but there is a real difference. I agree with whoever said the Duggars seem palpably miserable and forced/fake. The Bates show is like someone just showed up with a camera to tape what they're doing that day. They come across incredibly natural and relaxed and seem happy. my comment is only based on their personalities, interactions with each other and the way they pursue their personal interests. Their beliefs still suck ass. 

9 hours ago, anaandrade said:

Friendly reminder that this is a real life page out of the Crown College rule book for women: http://www.stufffundieslike.com/2012/01/dating-rules-crown-college-edition/

Unfortunately, the school wised up and the entire rule book pdf has been removed... but trust me no one going to Crown is "progressive" and stepping away from any of their beliefs. 

I know the Bates are dangerous and all their beliefs suck but I watch it because it's funny. I'm tired of seeing trash on TV. I just want to see mindless fun. Yes they treat their girls as second class citizens but IMO Toddlers and Tiaras is almost worse! They're subjecting their girls to a lifestyle that 6 year olds shouldn't be open to.

57 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Friendly reminder that this is a real life page out of the Crown College rule book for women: http://www.stufffundieslike.com/2012/01/dating-rules-crown-college-edition/

Unfortunately, the school wised up and the entire rule book pdf has been removed... but trust me no one going to Crown is "progressive" and stepping away from any of their beliefs. 

I'm so sad Clown College took their rule book off of their website. It's a doozy!

10 hours ago, anaandrade said:

Yet when the Bates are showing signs of doing this like allowing the girls to go to Crown, they are deemed to be the more dangerous of the families simply because they're atill fundies

Because that have done nothing to to leave the IBLP/ATI lifestyle. All they have done is made it look less harmful. You don't look at their show and think "These people are neck deep in a dangerous, crazy cult."  Seriously, The Bates are basically the face of IBLP/ATI at all the conferences and the cult still holds all those really, really nasty beliefs, including blaming four year olds for being molested. Gil last year was trying to manipulate a person raped at 11 years old to mee in private with one of the people who abused her. So, sending their kids to Crown and figuring out how to make their family look less crazy on television means nothing. 

And this is the problem with the Bates, they are good at convincing people they aren't like the Duggars all while actually hurting way more people than the Duggars did. They are more dangerous because they cause more harm to the countless people hurt by IBLP.  It is very optimistic to see their heavily scripted reality tv show and heavily scripted social media and think that they are becoming less fundie. Kelly is way smarter than Michelle and knows how to play the media. Long gone are the days where she brags about how the families hold the exact same beliefs and are just alike. 

The Bates are also more natural on television. I think that even without the whole Josh incident the Duggars would have come off as looking stiff and unnatural. They just don't have the personalities to pull it off. 

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I'm so sad Clown College took their rule book off of their website. It's a doozy!

I know it's dated four years ago and things may have changed, but good God. 

There are some sensible things in there, like not being allowed to date teens from youth group, but not allowing off-campus dating if you're a residential student? Special written permission required for interracial dating?

welp

8 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Is it wrong that my first thought is wondering if Whitney's going to announce she's pregnant like she did at his first birthday party?

I'd be worried because she just had Kaci Lynn in June! Nah, it's just a nice Instagram shout out to Bradley.

14 hours ago, anaandrade said:

While I absolutely get your points, there's something about comments like yours that bother me and I think I've figured it out. People on here, like myself, keep hoping that these people step away from this horrible lifestyle. Yet when the Bates are showing signs of doing this like allowing the girls to go to Crown, they are deemed to be the more dangerous of the families simply because they're atill fundies. 

I think that all of us who see these people wish that they would realize how harmful their lifestyle is. BUB, though I have never seen it, seems to be a fun show that shows a family that's a little bigger than normal and how crazy it is. That would be good. Except this famiy holds dangerous beliefs, they don't think that girls should be truly educated, they think that there should be no birth control, they want abortions to be illegal, they had a photo of a very well known racist in this living room. This is not a normal family. I would love them all to run but Crown College is not stepping away, it's getting more and more indoctrinated. 

6 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I know the Bates are dangerous and all their beliefs suck but I watch it because it's funny. I'm tired of seeing trash on TV. I just want to see mindless fun. Yes they treat their girls as second class citizens but IMO Toddlers and Tiaras is almost worse! They're subjecting their girls to a lifestyle that 6 year olds shouldn't be open to.

Seriously? 

My definition of trash on TV is the scripted fake "reality" shows, and especially the exploitation by those fake "reality" shows of minors, the disabled, and the disadvantaged.  People that TLC, Bravo and UPTV have milked for all they are worth because those channels are really the "freak show" TV "entertainment."   Toddlers and Tiaras is a very good example of trash TV.  

So is BUB, which really isn't at all funny if you know the context of extreme Christian Fundamentalism.  And the fact that UPTV is shamelessly promoting those beliefs.  No, I don't think you are watching mindless fun when it comes to BUB. 

Have you completely missed the purpose of FJ?  If you just want to discuss the Bates family as "mindless fun" I'm sure there are other places that can accommodate you better than FJ.  We are focused on the dangers of extreme Fundamentalism here.

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Seriously? 

My definition of trash on TV is the scripted fake "reality" shows, and especially the exploitation by those fake "reality" shows of minors, the disabled, and the disadvantaged.  People that TLC, Bravo and UPTV have milked for all they are worth because those channels are really the "freak show" TV "entertainment."   Toddlers and Tiaras is a very good example of trash TV.  

So is BUB, which really isn't at all funny if you know the context of extreme Christian Fundamentalism.  And the fact that UPTV is shamelessly promoting those beliefs.  No, I don't think you are watching mindless fun when it comes to BUB. 

Have you completely missed the purpose of FJ?  If you just want to discuss the Bates family as "mindless fun" I'm sure there are other places that can accommodate you better than FJ.  We are focused on the dangers of extreme Fundamentalism here.

Hmmm, "focused on the dangers of extreme Fundamentalism", I must be mistaken, I thought it was about being snarky.

14 minutes ago, sansan said:

Hmmm, "focused on the dangers of extreme Fundamentalism", I must be mistaken, I thought it was about being snarky.

Then somehow you've missed the point.  Odd in someone who has been around for a couple of years but perhaps you don't read widely on FJ.  It's a pity.

@Curious, @Destiny (and the rest of the admins) perhaps we could put the "Focused on the Flaws of Fundamentalism" back as a header?  It went missing with the move to the new platform but it was really rather useful to point to in these circumstances. ;)

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived