IGNORED

Bates Family Part 9

Boogalou

There is nothing wrong with two people taking a bath together.  That's not what I said. 

Hotel rooms with bathtubs right next to the bed, are IMO, shitty hotel rooms in which I would prefer not to spend my honeymoon. 

Don't really see why that requires a defensive explanation, but there it is.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just frosted that these kids have to spend their one and only precious honeymoon hanging out with a bunch of cameramen instead of just being together. Honeymoon episodes are the WORST.

(Anyway, Joshley would approve of the bubble bath for two!)

To their defense, they're not exactly in a place like say Orlando (or any other mega tourist trap), where there's a laundry list of lodging options and very well could have been staying at the only hotel in town.

12 hours ago, pnwgypsy said:

I forgot the part where they're in a coffee shop & inquire about a pastry which they're told is savory - spinach, cheese, artichoke hearts & they seem like they've never heard of such things before.

YESSS! I heard that and I'm in shock. How does one never eat spinach and cheese. Spinach artichoke dip is a staple! But now that I'm saying it I realize it's mostly served in bars oopsssssss.

2 hours ago, Alicja said:

Brandon is from Michigan, right? Maybe he wanted to show Michael a traditional Michigan pastime, re. the fly fishing?

Except he had 0 fly fishing skills.  Heck, he was barely able to get the fish in the guide's net.  Michael totally outfished him.

I'm an outdoorsy MI native & I'd totally go fly fishing on my honeymoon.  Then again, I've already been on 3 6 day long guided whitewater rafting trips.

15 hours ago, purple_summer said:

I was more bothered by the fact that they seemed to be at a hampton inn lol. I know everyone has different priorities on their honeymoon but I think I'd like to splurge a little on mine.

Aw, I love Hampton Inn. #lowstandards

I hope that was only one day of their honeymoon. It seems the honeymoon episodes all show the couples trying one new thing; fly-fishing for B & M, cooking class for Ben and Jess and para-sailing for Josh and Anna.(and the sleeping with the sharks, which turned out to be a scam, but hey they got scammed together) TV producers, lol, gotta make it look good. Me and late-hubby therefore had a boring honeymoon; walking, swimming in the hotel pool, taking in a few tourist attractions, nothing very film-able. So glad not to be famous. Jill and Derick and the other Bates couples lucked out in not having their camera crews there on the honeymoon, lol.

On 2/11/2016 at 1:47 PM, Georgiana said:

I'm currently wearing a cape sweater (one of the LOOSEST articles of clothing out there), and it still is is Smurf trampolining because I'm a 34F.  I could wear a damn table cloth and I'd still be a Smurf trampoline!  

36G here! I feel your pain! Smurf Trampoline's all around!

It's not like Montana is filled with Four Seasons. Hampton Inns are actually pretty nice as far as standard hotels are concerned and you can find them in many small towns. Also, they went on an outdoors honeymoon and fishing is a popular outdoors activity. I'm not a super outdoorsy girl and even I like fishing, camping, and bonfires sometimes.

If UP paid for it, I think it's interesting they chose such a laid back kind of trip instead of something more expensive. 

4 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

4. Last but not least, Brandon saying he can't wait to show her, her new apartment in Chicago. I find it strange that she wouldn't be involved with the selection or decorating. 

Giving them a pass on her not being involved in the selection.  When I was getting ready to move in with my boyfriend at the time, I was on course on the other side of the country.  I had two criteria- not in a specific neighbourhood, and had to be on bus route.  

9 hours ago, formergothardite said:

So basically just the little girls were told that their only options in life were marriage or staying home with daddy? I'm sure they tried to play it off as cute, but knowing their beliefs, it is really icky. Gil is just another Jim Bob without Ken hair. 

When my sister was ~5, she asked our mom if she would live at home forever and mom said "no, you'll grow up and have your own house." Lil' sis said "but I need a daddy! I can't live in another house without daddy!" and mom told her "you won't need a daddy when you're grown up. You might get married and have a husband, but you can live by yourself too."

It makes my heart smile to remember that, compared to the fundies :my_cry:

4 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

There is nothing wrong with two people taking a bath together.  That's not what I said. 

Hotel rooms with bathtubs right next to the bed, are IMO, shitty hotel rooms in which I would prefer not to spend my honeymoon. 

Don't really see why that requires a defensive explanation, but there it is.

It's possible the bathtub was a Jacuzzi. I've stayed in a room like that before and it had the Jacuzzi in the sleeping area and a regular tub in the bathroom. The room was far from shitty and we enjoyed the Jacuzzi, but I can see how such a set up isn't everyone's cup of tea. Whenever my husband and I travel we don't spend a ton on the hotel because we spend a lot of time outside of it doing vacation stuff.

Hey, at least it wasn't a heart-shaped tub like the ones offered at these cabins. To be honest, though, my kitsch-loving soul would love to try one :pb_redface:

I felt so cringy when Michael just wanted to go back to the room. That's like fundie sex tape scene right there.

2 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

If UP paid for it, I think it's interesting they chose such a laid back kind of trip instead of something more expensive. 

My guess is it was sponsored by the Montana Department of Tourism and the IBLP Department of Reproduction.

re:  Brandon showing Michael the Chicago apartment

I wonder if Michael hadn't seen it before due to lack of chaperone?  As in she would just go to his school, since there were plenty of people around there, or whomever she was staying with was the chaperone & there was no need to go to Brandon's place?

Like, oh maybe... Paris?  BTW, watchseries.li is squared away, and the honeymoon episode is streaming. Firing up the popcorn.

17 minutes ago, pnwgypsy said:

I wonder if Michael hadn't seen it before due to lack of chaperone?  As in she would just go to his school, since there were plenty of people around there, or whomever she was staying with was the chaperone & there was no need to go to Brandon's place?

Probably because IBLP provided Brandon the apartment with the job.   They knew they had a place to live after marriage so what it looked like wasn't critical.

Then again, I dated a guy who had his own house and he really did no decorating before he got married (spoiler alert - not me).  I went over there a lot and it was really basic; white walls, no art, furniture that did not match.  He just did not see the point before he was married, it was just him and functional as is.  

Well, they don't have Duggar/Blessa money...they need at least 5 more seasons of overly dramatic wisdom teeth removal episodes to "earn" something fancier...

3 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

It's not like Montana is filled with Four Seasons. Hampton Inns are actually pretty nice as far as standard hotels are concerned and you can find them in many small towns.

Not trying to trash Hampton Inns here, but Montana does have a lot of five star ranch resorts now. Including one that Oprah has frequented and might offer more amenities than a Four Seasons. The state has upped its tourism profile a lot in the past decade. I know this because Montana tops my list of places to visit and I'm trying to find a ranch that feels legit but isn't too outside of my budget. 

55 minutes ago, pnwgypsy said:

Surely IBLP wouldn't have provided the apartment for Brandon to live in alone BEFORE he married Michael. Wouldn't he have had to live in some kind of dorm room with other unmarried men until then?

2 hours ago, wotdancer said:

When my sister was ~5, she asked our mom if she would live at home forever and mom said "no, you'll grow up and have your own house." Lil' sis said "but I need a daddy! I can't live in another house without daddy!" and mom told her "you won't need a daddy when you're grown up. You might get married and have a husband, but you can live by yourself too."

It makes my heart smile to remember that, compared to the fundies :my_cry:

When I found out I would get to live by myself when I got older, I was so freaking excited. To my five year old mind, living on my own meant that I could be as messy as I wanted and no one would yell at me.

I was right. Except now I live in a studio where any kind of clutter makes it look like I'm on Extreme Hoarders. So I'm not messy.

1 hour ago, OperaRocks said:

Like, oh maybe... Paris?  BTW, watchseries.li is squared away, and the honeymoon episode is streaming. Firing up the popcorn.

My watchseries.li is still all wedding episode. Which link are you using?

1 hour ago, pnwgypsy said:

The school was in Texas.

On a trip to Arkansas a couple of years ago we planned to stay in Hot Springs. Unbeknownst  to us, there was a motorcycle rally going on and there were no vacancies. I know, because we tried a lot of places. We had to keep driving and I said I didn't care what we paid as long as the room was clean. Lo and behold a Hampton Inn appeared. They gave us a really good rate after we explained our desperation, and enrolled us in their rewards program and then upgraded our room. Then the manager opened the breakfast room and let us make waffles and got us cereal and juice. The next morning we discovered the indoor pool and the kid had a blast while we chilled poolside. I'll always have a soft spot for Hampton Inns.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived