IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen - General Discussion Part 16

Coconut Flan

So why does this movement think JimBoob is a good role model?  Well, maybe it's because whoever wrote their mission statement and other materials was educated at the SOTDRT.  The grammar is just outstanding.    

"UNCOMMEN exists to encourage men to be better Leaders, Husbands and Dads by equipping individuals and organizations with inspiring and educational resources. Our vision is to help men succeed at being the man they were always meant to be." 

And you don't want YOUR man to be an "Everyday Jack"  (maybe it should be everyday Dick).  

Because "Everyday Jack" is the opposite of an "Uncommen" man.  

Because "STATS DON't LIE"  we know that  "Jack"  spends 2.5 hours per day on his smart phone, has a 50% chance of cheating on his wife and only spends 17 minutes PER WEEK talking to his wife.      Oh, and 3.4 minutes talking to his kids.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again from the uncommen webist:

"But when men win: wives, kids, and society wins."

Notice that the verb 'win' means two very different things here in one sentence. The first win means 'stop being assholes' and the second win means 'benefit'. This thesis is supported by what follows on the website:

When men win, we don’t have to build as many shelters for abandoned families, or pay the psychological and emotional toll for fatherless kids, or care for so many abused and neglected wives.

So how will they stop men behaving like assholes? Not by boring conferences or bestsellers in which men are blamed for being assholes. Listen to the new approach:

If we’re going to solve societal ills, we need a few uncommon approaches. Instead of yelling at dudes, “Hey loser, shape up or ship out!” and heaping societal shame and guilt on their shoulders, we designed a mobile app that connects guys to each other and challenges them to engage their wives, kids, friends, co-workers, employees…pretty much anybody that means jack squat to them. We believe men respond to challenges far more than criticisms."

First they blame men for 'societal ills' and now they say men don't respond to criticism? And men are blamed for spending too much time on a smartphone, so we give them *wait for it* an app??

You know what? This bunch underestimates women. Even without men we could create societal ills aplenty. It is called original sin. 

4 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

Again from the uncommen webist:

"But when men win: wives, kids, and society wins."

I'll just leave this here

Spell Check exists for a reason and that reason is to use it.

1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Spell Check exists for a reason and that reason is to use it.

It might not catch the subject/verb agreement error, however.  SOTDRT strikes again.

11 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

From the encommen website:

"UNCOMMEN is a team of men and women passionate about seeing guys win in the most important areas of their lives: as leaders, husbands, and dads. - See more at: http://uncommen.org/#sthash.B8LLN52u.dpuf"

Why the heck can men not just be single, childless, and without an official position as a leader,  kinda like uhhh Jesus?

I'm laughing my ass off right now. I'm sorry I cannot upvote it more than once. It would be so much easier, if they'd just READ the bible ^^

I have an idea. Why can't men do their best to show their children and wives how real men should be. As in, work to support their families, model good behavior to their children, respect their wives as equals, and treat their fellow human beings in a fair and just manner. This is just another example of the Duggars' feelings of superiority and unwillingness to associate with people who do not live exactly as they do 

12 hours ago, notfundy said:

Because "STATS DON't LIE"  we know that  "Jack"  spends 2.5 hours per day on his smart phone, has a 50% chance of cheating on his wife and only spends 17 minutes PER WEEK talking to his wife.      Oh, and 3.4 minutes talking to his kids.

holy shit. the duggar kids would piss their pants for 3.4 minutes of straight-up talk with their father per week.

wait, does hollering into the TTH intercom count?

One thing that is weird is that they are actually BLAMING MEN for all these things. Not saying that their wives are unavailable or not setting a Godly example and that's why the men are doing what they're doing. No they're saying that it's the men's fault. Which is different from what we've seen in the past.

But then they say we shouldn't guilt them about it. Just be super sweet and offer them Love Dares or whatever.

Imagine if a fundie wife left her family. Would she be treated the same? Doubt it.

For the sex that is supposedly super strong and without emotion, we sure do have to be very very extra special careful with their feelings and be sure not to make them feel guilty.

I have a question for all the FJ knitting experts.  Where can I get cheap yarn?

I want to make a pom pom rug.  I will have to make a ridiculous number of pom poms to make even a small rug.

It could end up being really expensive. :P

Call some churches. People donate things like that when they die or move. And they save it to sell at the bazaars.

If that doesn't work....V V

A more economical way is to  make a rug is to cut terrycloth towels into strips & braid 3 strips together. Then sew it into a circle.

Also, go to Herrschner's.com.

It's a crafting store that carries yard of all types. They have good sales .

9 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

Call some churches. People donate things like that when they die or move. And they save it to sell at the bazaars.

If that doesn't work....V V

A more economical way is to  make a rug is to cut terrycloth towels into strips & braid 3 strips together. Then sew it into a circle.

Also, go to Herrschner's.com.

It's a crafting store that carries yard of all types. They have good sales .

Thanks, ksgranola!

Do you need a lot of one color? If different colors will work, check out your local thrift stores. Ours always have lots of yarn, just not all in the same color.

Also if you ever use ebay....search ebay for yarn lots. You can get a lot of "end of yarn" balls in multiple colors for fairly cheap.

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

Do you need a lot of one color? If different colors will work, check out your local thrift stores. Ours always have lots of yarn, just not all in the same color.

Different colors will work, I think.  I'll check out the neighborhood Goodwill and ebay. :)

I'm guessing this has something to do with Josh's impending release back into the wild. 

JB&M still suck at public speaking, and they're too old to be promoting this, imo. Josh is the one who will be UNCOMMEN, I bet.

10 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I'm guessing this has something to do with Josh's impending release back into the wild. 

JB&M still suck at public speaking, and they're too old to be promoting this, imo. Josh is the one who will be UNCOMMEN, I bet.

JB and Michelle, you have nothing BUT time to spend with your kids and you still don't do it! Neither of you have jobs. Your kids are home ALL DAY. You aren't filming a show anymore (or maybe you are???). And yet, Michelle doesn't home school anymore, and wtf does JB even do?

47 minutes ago, halcionne said:

1) they are aware "19 kids and counting" is the name of their tv show, not their children, right? I'm not sure they do

2)while they were rehearsing and filming this, who was watching and spending time with their kids? (jana, of course)  Oh, the irony of telling people to spend time with their kids, while they are off not spending time with their kids.

3)I listened to this gibberish twice :brainbleach:. My iq just dropped.  I still didn't catch the last thing Michelle said. was it "you can dad"? 

33 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

1) they are aware "19 kids and counting" is the name of their tv show, not their children, right? I'm not sure they do

2)while they were rehearsing and filming this, who was watching and spending time with their kids? (jana, of course)  Oh, the irony of telling people to spend time with their kids, while they are off not spending time with their kids.

3)I listened to this gibberish twice :brainbleach:. My iq just dropped.  I still didn't catch the last thing Michelle said. was it "you can dad"? 

I think it was "You can, Dad!"

UNCOMMEN has a youtube channel with outtakes of this promo.* The sound is bad in all of the ones I watched (just a couple). I scoped the UNCOMMEN website, looking for ties to Gothard (didn't see any). The site seems well-done and pretty polished; why is this commercial or whatever it is so crummy?

*I just realized the vids are available at Lily and Ellie's blog. 

Just now, halcionne said:

I think it was "You can, Dad!"

UNCOMMEN has a youtube channel with outtakes of this promo. The sound is bad in all of the ones I watched (just a couple). I scoped the website, looking for ties to Gothard (didn't see any). The site seems well-done and pretty polished; why is this commercial or whatever it is so crummy?

"you can, dad!" still doesn't make a ton of sense.   To the bolded: because it was jimbob and michelle. When was the last time they came out with anything polished or quality?  Jimbob said his name so fast i wouldn't have caught it if i didn't already know it.

These are not the people you want bragging on dadding skills. According to michelle and the sotdr to dad is now a verb.  their first born child isn't exactly a stellar example of parenting- either as proof of his parents skills, or his own parenting skills.

This message would have been so much better if it was just a dad with several of his children, interacting in some way. 

Just now, halcionne said:

What's the opposite of the Midas touch? The Duggars have it. Everything they touch turns to shit.

I'm pretty sure it's known as the Duggar Touch. 

This Uncommen stuff seems like some BS project dreamed up to make it seem like these fundie men have an actual mission in life... not.  :/

It's a way to use their app making skills to do... something?.. anything?.. ;P

It's easier than landing a real job, I guess. :)

I will say that Mullet's brainwashing here is so clear. She always adoringly looks at JB, even though she shouldn't be.

Personally, I'd want to punch him in the face.

It's also another opportunity for them to remind us how wonderful they all are, and how horrible us heathens are. And if these heathen men could just shape up and spend a tad more time with their kids all would be well.

We're going to ignore inconvenient facts like the disproportionate rate at which blacks and latinos are incarcerated, the education gap, the challenge of institutionalized racism and what that poses when it comes to getting work or loans.  It also overlooks the fact that around half of babies are born to single mothers, many of those by choice (not all of course).  Instead of facing up to cultural and economic realities we'll just blame men for being too distracted by smart phones and being too lazy to care for their children.

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived