IGNORED

A Saturday With the Moodys (Maxwells)

Talitha Cumi

And yet all of that is okay to read about, but most children's literature, even Christian children's literature, is not.

It just blows my mind.

They had a post not too long ago about Mary finishing a requirement for her graduation, outlining the Bible. I'm very curious as to how she outlined some parts of the OT, particularly the second half of Genesis 19: So Lots daughters got him drunk and had sex with him to become pregnant.... :?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or where Jael invites the enemy leader into her tent, lets him go to sleep, and then drives a tent peg through his head.

that's one of my favourite parts :D

Maybe people are conflating Solomon and the Queen of Sheba with the story of David and Bathsheba. I don't know that Solomon and the Queen of Sheba slept together, but David and Bathsheba sure did! Bathsheba got pregnant.

I was an adult before I realized Esther slept with the king to see if he liked her. I just thought they sat around eating and making small talk. :lol: I can see the Maxwell children being like that.

Maybe people are conflating Solomon and the Queen of Sheba with the story of David and Bathsheba. I don't know that Solomon and the Queen of Sheba slept together, but David and Bathsheba sure did! Bathsheba got pregnant.

oh yeah, i do know about david and bathy. and once bathy was preggers, he ordered uriah home so he could pawn the baby off on bathy's husband, but uriah wouldn't do it, so he ordered him put on the front lines to be killed. fun times!

but the stories are completely separate in my mind, though i can't speak for everyone.

There are certain parts of the Bible where it's really unclear whether sex was forced or consensual because unfortunately in many ways it didn't matter to the writers. So like in the case of Bathsheba, the issue wasn't whether she wanted to have sex with David or not - that was basically irrelevant - David's sin was sleeping with a married woman and then killing off her husband.

Right, but I mean... You can't refuse the king, soooo I don't think there was any consent, personally. You're right about it not mattering to the writers

Right, but I mean... You can't refuse the king, soooo I don't think there was any consent, personally. You're right about it not mattering to the writers

true, but the thing is, that situation would only be true if she didn't want to have sex with david. we don't know whether she did or not because none of the writings indicate anything either way. it's one of those things we can speculate about until the cows come home, but the text itself doesn't offer actual evidence either way, then neither can be proven.

btw, i'm not saying i think she wanted to bang the king. i personally don't have an opinion on it either way. but the thing is, neither can be definitively proven, and just because one alternative presents a situation where it would be non-consensual (king wants sex, king gets sex) doesn't mean that it necessarily went that way.

Was "consent" even a concept back in O.T. days? Could a man be charged with rape back in those days, in that part of the world? I really don't know and am wondering.

Was "consent" even a concept back in O.T. days? Could a man be charged with rape back in those days, in that part of the world? I really don't know and am wondering.

Rape was a crime against the woman's husband or father, not against her. Essentially, he was stealing another man's property.

It depends. If a woman was raped in a field all alone, it was a crime. If a woman was raped in a city, it was all her fault and she was to be stoned.

Archived