IGNORED

A Saturday With the Moodys (Maxwells)

Talitha Cumi

Psht. Even other fundies have issues with how poorly written they are. Check the comments:

themodestmomblog.com/2014/06/the-ultimate-book-list-for-boys/

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow both the OP and her commenter agree that the grammar and syntax are bad... and OP says she basically uses Moody books out of desperation for good, clean Christian family role models.

Maybe she hasn't read the Sausage Incident one yet?

Wow both the OP and her commenter agree that the grammar and syntax are bad... and OP says she basically uses them out of desperation for good, clean Christian family role models.

Maybe she hasn't read the Sausage Incident one yet?

depending on the op's level of fundie, there are TONS of children and young adult christian novels that are actually good. i know, i read a good many of them growing up.

Hey, Steveus, try calling us when a legit English professor reviews Sarah's book. I'm sure it will not be the same glowing review that a *six-year-old* boy wrote.

What? Steve let a professional DARE critique Sarah's writing? The man who brags how his children find things that the real proofreaders miss? (Apart/a part, anyone?) How beneath him! He doesn't give a flying quack if the books are well written. The only thing that matters is Jesus. As long as the Moody books conform to the dictates of the Maxwell-verse, all is good.

I'm sure he'd look at outside critique as yet another attack on the righteousness of his mission, rather than an effort to help his daughter learn and improve. And critique from within the godly ranks? Well, is that person's name Maxwell? If not, who cares? They're probably just jealous or something.

YOU DO NOT QUESTION STEVE!

Forget about professors-- I'd be interested in a review from anyone who's read, like, any form of legitimate literature that they can compare it to. Hamlet, Harry Potter, Hop on Pop, whatever. Once your kids realize that fiction can be entertaining and not just a robotic retelling of mundane events that your eyes dutifully scan across the page, the bloom is probably off the Moody rose.

Their reviews remind me of parents whose kids aren't allowed to have sugar but who say that their kids really do love the carob-broccoli loaf that we substitute as "dessert"!

Psht. Even other fundies have issues with how poorly written they are. Check the comments:

She agrees with the commenter, but continues to recommend the books. She has a pretty extensive list there, so why include books she has issues with at all?

She agrees with the commenter, but continues to recommend the books. She has a pretty extensive list there, so why include books she has issues with at all?

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
my comment is awaiting moderation, but i couldn't help but post (with the mindset of a fundie-lite type of christian, of course...this is probably what i would have said if i was still a fundie-lite today)

I’m sorry, but there is no excuse to resort to bad literature! I grew up reading a good many christian books that were good, there is no need to resort to sub-par reading material.

One of my favourites growing up was a sci-fi series called “The Daystar Voyages†by Gilbert Morris. It’s for a bit older reader, but it is excellent material. And if it’s being read as a family, I don’t see why a younger reader couldn’t enjoy the stories as well. Gilbert Morris’ books in general are a pretty good bet, I’ve enjoyed any of his that I’ve picked up.

And perhaps I missed it on the list, but C.S. Lewis’ “The Chronicles of Narnia†are classics that should be on any reading list anyway! I read them beginning in fourth or fifth grade and they were wonderful. Aslan sacrificing himself in Edmund’s place is a perfect example of Christ’s love, and it always makes me tear up, no matter how many times I’ve read it. I honestly wish I would have started reading them sooner!

I hope my comment doesn’t come across as harsh, I’m just a very avid reader and a very passionate proponent of quality reading material. There is so much out there that is available, it just takes a little looking, that’s all! Don’t give up! I hope this is an encouragement to anyone reading that quality material is indeed out there.

and for the record, yes, aslan's death and resurrection still makes me cry to this day (just not because omg it's an example of christ's love). i'm a sap, i fully admit it.

She has a lot of good reading choices on her list. Steve is full of B.S. saying there are not quality books for fundie children. It's just another way of controlling all the thoughts and deeds of his "children".

I don't think they are allowed to read just for fun. I highly doubt they would be allowed to take a college class- Steve wouldn't like the fact that he could not control the literature they would be exposed to.

So sad. How many of us enrolled in a college course thinking it would be easy and we already know the information, only to find out we didn't know as much as we thought. I know freshman math kicked my butt.

I just think how much they would enjoy a Christian college. I think any public college would be too much for them. But a tiny Christian school where they could make friends and study their interests? They would thrive.

Dammit Steve.

When I see the criticisms of Sarah's books (which I don't disagree with) I do feel a twinge of sympathy for Sarah and hope she doesn't read the critiques. She probably puts quite a bit of time and effort into writing her Moody series and is proud to be published, so I'd be a little sad if she was hurt by peoples reactions. She does the best she can with the limited educational toolbox her parents allowed her to have, same goes for her lack of true life experiences.

The books ARE badly written and rather boring, but it's likely the best she can do. Sarah seems like a fairly gentle soul to me; I would just be unhappy to see her wounded when her limitations as an author largely fall directly upon her parents' shoulders.

Or maybe I am just a softy... :think:

Silly question, perhaps, but are Maxwells allowed to take online courses; e.g. English or Writing?

From heathens who might wear defrauding contrasting buttons on their shirts? SURELY NOT. The Maxwells GIVE online courses to the unwashed masses, not the other way around!

8-)

I read the Swiss Family Robinson in high school (I attend an evangelical Christian school in 12th grade). It was kind of corny, but it was alright. Next to the Moody books, it is on par with Look Homeward, Angel or The Heart is a Lonely Hunter or God's Little Acre. (None of which would be be approved by Stevehovah, but they are books that I enjoyed.)

Wow. So Stevie's solution to a broken washing machine is to pray? I wonder what that does to dirty clothes!

In the hope of a Christmas miracle, I tried Steve's approach over my faulty dishwasher. It made it through the whole cycle but then leaked all over the kitchen floor. God has some sense of humor, and now I have to pray for a mop...

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
my comment is awaiting moderation, but i couldn't help but post (with the mindset of a fundie-lite type of christian, of course...this is probably what i would have said if i was still a fundie-lite today)

and for the record, yes, aslan's death and resurrection still makes me cry to this day (just not because omg it's an example of christ's love). i'm a sap, i fully admit it.

Do we know he is not an FJ "member?"

Wow. So Stevie's solution to a broken washing machine is to pray? I wonder what that does to dirty clothes!

Well, as noted above, the Maxwells DO want to save the unwashed masses...

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:

It looks like she let your comment through. Good for her.

I don't think they are allowed to read just for fun. I highly doubt they would be allowed to take a college class- Steve wouldn't like the fact that he could not control the literature they would be exposed to.

So sad. How many of us enrolled in a college course thinking it would be easy and we already know the information, only to find out we didn't know as much as we thought. I know freshman math kicked my butt.

I just think how much they would enjoy a Christian college. I think any public college would be too much for them. But a tiny Christian school where they could make friends and study their interests? They would thrive.

Dammit Steve.

I attended a conference hosted by the Maxwells many years ago, and one of the youth seminars was taught by the daughters. At this session, Sarah said that they generally avoided fiction (and ESPECIALLY Christian romantic fiction, she went on for a while about how it corrupts the heart). They did, however, read biographies of godly individuals. I remember this so clearly because I was appalled at the time.

When I see the criticisms of Sarah's books (which I don't disagree with) I do feel a twinge of sympathy for Sarah and hope she doesn't read the critiques. She probably puts quite a bit of time and effort into writing her Moody series and is proud to be published, so I'd be a little sad if she was hurt by peoples reactions. She does the best she can with the limited educational toolbox her parents allowed her to have, same goes for her lack of true life experiences.

The books ARE badly written and rather boring, but it's likely the best she can do. Sarah seems like a fairly gentle soul to me; I would just be unhappy to see her wounded when her limitations as an author largely fall directly upon her parents' shoulders.

Or maybe I am just a softy... :think:

Yeah, it certainly isn't her fault. I think Sarah seems like a lovely person who has unfortunately been forced to live in a psychologically abusive cult. Any of us would be the same if we were forced to live in an environment where free thought and creativity are crushed like that. It's sad that she is capable of doing so much more with her talents if she were in an environment that allowed her the freedom to be herself.

Do they read I kissed dating goodbye?? Or is that too sinful? Maybe Sarah should write a story about a SAHD whose waiting for King Daddy to marry her off and for her to live upstairs in her room

Hey, Steveus, try calling us when a legit English professor reviews Sarah's book. I'm sure it will not be the same glowing review that a *six-year-old* boy wrote.

I think having an English professor review it would be overkill. Honestly, I think any kid who is an avid, precocious reader would find them mind-numbingly dull. And any kid who was getting a truly decent education in how to write in clear, grammatical English, and who was encouraged to read good books, would have no use for them.

I would not consider them suitable reading material for a child precisely because they don't model competent written English. If I had kids, and if I wanted to make sure they learned to write well, why would I give them such a poorly-written book? Why would I allow them to think that was acceptable writing at all, if I took their educations seriously?

It's not a matter of being "godly" or "secular"; Victoria Botkin, after all, educated her own kids to be capable writers. I can pick apart the problems with what the younger Botkins have to say, and their attitudes, but their writing skills are well above average. If either of the Botkinettes turned to writing children's books aimed at the same market niche the Maxwells are trying to please with the Moody series, those stories stand a good chance of at least being competently written. The Botkinettes are as heavily indoctrinated to their parents' religious views as the Maxwell kids, but they were clearly encouraged to read, and read challenging material. They also haven't been cut off from imaginative works of fiction in the name of ideological purity--for crying out loud, they go see Disney flicks, then critique them from their Calvinist perspective! They simply don't inhabit the intellectual, experiential, and imaginative wasteland that Sarah Maxwell does, and the difference is like night and day.

Of course, part of Geoff Botkin's narcissistic ideal for his perfect, obedient, patriocentric family was that they gain power and influence in the wider world, and thus shape politics and culture; education is a vitally important part of that. Steve Maxwell's aims are a lot lower; his narcissistic ideal for his perfect, obedient, patriocentric family is that they never outshine him, so shoddy education combined with ruthlessly stunted intellect and imagination serve his purposes just fine. His kids may acquire practical skills, but he'll always be smarter, more educated, and a clearer thinker than they are, and he wouldn't have it any other way.

She has a lot of good reading choices on her list. Steve is full of B.S. saying there are not quality books for fundie children. It's just another way of controlling all the thoughts and deeds of his "children".

My parents were pretty darned fundy, and our house was FILLED with good books growing up. I still have my mom's Agatha Christie collection (with all the naughty words blacked out in marker :roll: ). I read C.S. Lewis, ALL of L.M. Montgomery's books, Frances Hodgson Burnett, Tolkien, and gosh, so many others. I can't even begin to imagine how dry and empty life would have been without books. (I also occasionally sneaked a friend's Sweet Valley High books because: teen girl.)

Without books, I'd be nothing but a dry husk of a person.

Because I'm a book addict, I can't imagine where I'd be if I were to have my reading censored like that.

Archived