IGNORED

A Saturday With the Moodys (Maxwells)

Talitha Cumi

And what happens if God saw fit to bless you with only one child?

Then you are an evil, sinful person who is not godly and is going to Hell anyway because Jesus doesn't love them.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what happens if God saw fit to bless you with only one child?

Yes. We all needed Steve to point out that making $20.00 an hour is better than making $10.00 an hour. Thanks for that, Steve.

I would truly like to smack him. He is so full of shit.

And what about making more than $100/hour like my husband? Sure it took 8 years of university, 2 degrees and a masters but surely that is better than $10...or even $40 an hour.

I make $40/hour with a 3.5 year degree. He really does think his way is the only way doesn't he?! Yet if he's sick he would want doctors & nurses who have been to college.

And what about making more than $100/hour like my husband? Sure it took 8 years of university, 2 degrees and a masters but surely that is better than $10...or even $40 an hour.

I make $40/hour with a 3.5 year degree. He really does think his way is the only way doesn't he?! Yet if he's sick he would want doctors & nurses who have been to college.

Steve also doesn't realize you can't support a wife and 10 blessings on a wage of $20-$40/hr.

My husband is a master plumber, licensed in New Zealand. Other Kiwis on here can probably back me up that this is not an easy trade in which to achieve master status. He decided not to do it here in the US because plumbers have slack requirements and plumbing codes in our state are so lame. He basically thought it was just stupid the way things are done here.

Anyways, I say that because I don't buy that the Maxwell sons are licensed plumbers and electricians. Kansas has the slackest requirements I have seen for contractors. It is done by jurisdiction, not with a uniform state code. All that is required in Leavenworth is taking an exam, buying insurance, getting a 75 on a test and paying a fee. Same thing for electricians. It is nutso for Steve to brag about this. His sons are not "real" electricians and plumbers. I could be a licensed plumber or electrician in Leavenworth, KS in a couple months because I can easily memorize material and make a 75 on a test.

Compare this:

http://www.pgdb.co.nz/~downloads/2014%2 ... ration.pdf

NZ requires a CHARACTER test for plumbers, FFS!

If you are really bored, here's the list of standards a licensed plumber/gas fitter (my husband is both) must meet:

http://www.pgdb.co.nz/~downloads/Leg%20 ... -07-03.pdf

To this:

http://www.lvks.org/egov/documents/611451227288509.pdf

For shame, Steve. You are saying your sons have certified skills in trades it takes years and tons of hands on and classroom education to master. My husband went to trade school and learned business and practical plumbing skills/codes AND apprenticed as a trainee and journeyman for years. Shame on Steve Maxwell!

Yeah, that business of both of them being liscenced plumber and electricians set off my bullshit meter as well. My friend is a licensed electrician in the state of NJ. Not only were there vocational school classes he had to take and exams he needed to pass, AFTER that he had to apprentice a number of years with another licensed, unionized electrician before being allowed to sit and pass the journeyman's exam. It took him a good 5 years of serious work, and work with heathens who were his boss. Without that lisence, he would not be able to work state contracts or the more lucrative construction and restoration work.

Steve needs to research what it takes for the rest of the godless to be able to call themselves plumbers, electricians, and computer programmers before just giving his sons those titles.

The "NO FRIENDS EVER" thing is why I'm convinced they built the Aunties Park. Keep the grandkids from going to the park and meeting, heathen, worldy kids.

I completely agree w/ u. I thought that from the beginning.

Yeah, that business of both of them being liscenced plumber and electricians set off my bullshit meter as well. My friend is a licensed electrician in the state of NJ. Not only were there vocational school classes he had to take and exams he needed to pass, AFTER that he had to apprentice a number of years with another licensed, unionized electrician before being allowed to sit and pass the journeyman's exam. It took him a good 5 years of serious work, and work with heathens who were his boss. Without that lisence, he would not be able to work state contracts or the more lucrative construction and restoration work.

Steve needs to research what it takes for the rest of the godless to be able to call themselves plumbers, electricians, and computer programmers before just giving his sons those titles.

My husband is a locksmith / safe technician and he's been at it for over 30 years. He finally is a master locksmith but there are still things he doesn't know. He has had to take classes every 5 years or so just to keep up. So Bullshit to Steve and his licensed sons.

My youngest son is an apprentice electrician. He has another year before he can get his journeyman's papers. He's been at it for 3 years already as an apprentice. It takes about 10 years to get your master's papers...

I am taking classes to be a certified piping design professional. Just to apply, I had to have at least 10 years of piping design experience under my belt (had to send them my resume). It will take me at least a year to wade through the classes and exams.

Stevehovah is full of shit.

Wait, the head of college plus told him college is worthless? That's a neat preemptive apology. "So your fake online degree was a bad investment, but that just means that it's on par with a real degree!"

Actually, while college grads are now doing the jobs high school grads used to do, that doesn't mean that college and high school grads are on equal footing. High school grads have fallen way behind: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/up ... a-say.html

The lack of economic understanding here makes me seriously question what kind of education is taking place in this house. Productivity and wages haven't risen at the same pace in recent decades. The problem isn't that people don't work hard like they used to, it's a structural issue. You can be hardworking and virtuous all you want and still find yourself on the losing end of capitalism.

Also-- did he really say that people who work outside the home don't like their children? Yikes. Does he know how the vast majority of people live? Does he think that our economy can support 100 million home businesses selling homeschooling resources?

It sort of reminds me of the way that some of our politicians talk about "business owners" as if they were the only real citizens, while anyone who works for another person is just an expense on a ledger. Funny how economic ideology spills over into religion.

Wait, the head of college plus told him college is worthless? That's a neat preemptive apology. "So your fake online degree was a bad investment, but that just means that it's on par with a real degree!"

Actually, while college grads are now doing the jobs high school grads used to do, that doesn't mean that college and high school grads are on equal footing. High school grads have fallen way behind: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/up ... a-say.html

The lack of economic understanding here makes me seriously question what kind of education is taking place in this house. Productivity and wages haven't risen at the same pace in recent decades. The problem isn't that people don't work hard like they used to, it's a structural issue. You can be hardworking and virtuous all you want and still find yourself on the losing end of capitalism.

A colleague and I were discussing this very thing today. I've heard tell of baby boomers (at age 62, I'm one) who excoriate the younger generations for "not working hard like we did." BALONEY.

The same infrastructure simply isn't there. When I got my first fulltime job at Ma Bell back in 1980, you could get in the door with just a high school diploma and work your way up. That's what my last director did: he started out as a repair tech, taking college courses at night and earning his degree--while supporting a wife and five kids. When I was a corporate trainer, I used to welcome him into my classrooms so he could encourage my students to take advantage of the company's tuition reimbursement program. He had cred, and everybody respected him.

For years, I did customer service for businesses in a call center, but we were treated with respect. The job could be stressful at times, but we weren't under pressure to make constant sales and to rush our way through calls to make a quota.

The job I have now (tech writing at a utility company) doesn't need a degree to do, but I wouldn't have been hired without a bachelor's.

Re infrastructure: The GIs of WWII came home to a grateful nation and benefits like the GI Bill, which allowed them to continue their education, and VA loans, which helped them buy houses. After the few years of economic slump that followed the end of the war, the men of my father's generation were able to get the kinds of jobs that were secure for their entire working lives and that could support a family on a single paycheck. (Skipping most of the decades that followed, where there were numerous economic ups and downs.)

After the crash of 2008, things pretty much started to suck for the youngest of adults. I know so many of them--hardworking, brilliant, and educated--who can't even get lousy part-time retail work at minimum wage and iffy schedules. They're saddled with debt, and no better off than their peers who didn't go to college or tech school.

I shake my head at people like Stevehovah, who seem to think that a society can survive on a network of tiny cottage industries in the 21st century.

I shake my head at people like Stevehovah, who seem to think that a society can survive on a network of tiny cottage industries in the 21st century.

And yet they take full advantage of people who work outside the home; doctors, nurses, waitresses, delivery people. While I'm certainly glad they get health care, how do they justify this? Especially when many of these workers are women?

Steve talked Christopher out of becoming a paramedic, but I doubt they would hesitate calling for an ambulance if they needed one.

And yet they take full advantage of people who work outside the home; doctors, nurses, waitresses, delivery people. While I'm certainly glad they get health care, how do they justify this? Especially when many of these workers are women?

Steve talked Christopher out of becoming a paramedic, but I doubt they would hesitate calling for an ambulance if they needed one.

And let's not forget little doodads like electricity and natural gas, served up to anyone and everyone care of godless corporate entities like the one I work for. And teh ebil gummint, that provides all those trinkets like roads and bridges.

Their empire is built on being weird enough that they attract only a few very loyal followers, and trap them by calling the outside world -- that they all ultimately depend on -- evil and sinful. Fundies preach that strict holiness is the only way to be right with God, but if everyone converted to being a fundie, their world would fall apart. It's all about being the holy few.

I read The Cross and the Switchblade while i was fundie, and it made me realize that God has good people in every place and in all walks of life. There's a verse in the Bible that says people in heaven will be from every tribe and language. It proves what a lie Steve is telling his kids, fooling them that they must live in so much strictness.

Ever get the feeling you could tune into the Titus 2 blog in 10 years and everything would be exactly the same? "God is so good, through a child's eyes, bean burritos, 14 er, we appreciate you mom and dad, etc..."

Ever get the feeling you could tune into the Titus 2 blog in 10 years and everything would be exactly the same? "God is so good, through a child's eyes, bean burritos, 14 er, we appreciate you mom and dad, etc..."

Except Sarah's eyes just get sadder and sadder. That's how you know time has passed.

The Maxwell blog would make fantastic source material for some kind of psychological horror story.

The Maxwell blog would make fantastic source material for some kind of psychological horror story.

It's a shame Stephen King doesn't read FJ (well, that we know of) -- quite a few of the people we discuss could inspire him.

It's a shame Stephen King doesn't read FJ (well, that we know of) -- quite a few of the people we discuss could inspire him.

He does know something about religious nuts, though--cf. "Carrie."

Fun fact: His daughter Naomi is a Unitarian-Universalist minister!

My husband is a master plumber, licensed in New Zealand. Other Kiwis on here can probably back me up that this is not an easy trade in which to achieve master status. He decided not to do it here in the US because plumbers have slack requirements and plumbing codes in our state are so lame. He basically thought it was just stupid the way things are done here.

Anyways, I say that because I don't buy that the Maxwell sons are licensed plumbers and electricians. Kansas has the slackest requirements I have seen for contractors. It is done by jurisdiction, not with a uniform state code. All that is required in Leavenworth is taking an exam, buying insurance, getting a 75 on a test and paying a fee. Same thing for electricians. It is nutso for Steve to brag about this. His sons are not "real" electricians and plumbers. I could be a licensed plumber or electrician in Leavenworth, KS in a couple months because I can easily memorize material and make a 75 on a test.

Compare this:

http://www.pgdb.co.nz/~downloads/2014%2 ... ration.pdf

NZ requires a CHARACTER test for plumbers, FFS!

If you are really bored, here's the list of standards a licensed plumber/gas fitter (my husband is both) must meet:

http://www.pgdb.co.nz/~downloads/Leg%20 ... -07-03.pdf

To this:

http://www.lvks.org/egov/documents/611451227288509.pdf

For shame, Steve. You are saying your sons have certified skills in trades it takes years and tons of hands on and classroom education to master. My husband went to trade school and learned business and practical plumbing skills/codes AND apprenticed as a trainee and journeyman for years. Shame on Steve Maxwell!

Kiwi here (living in US), can vouch that it is as hard as states in NZ. I watched a friend do the training. Not easy at all.

• 3 weeks later...

A glowing endorsement from a random fan and another FU-FJ moment from the Maxwells is up on the blog.

Hi Steve!

Hey, Steveus, try calling us when a legit English professor reviews Sarah's book. I'm sure it will not be the same glowing review that a *six-year-old* boy wrote.

Hey, Steveus, try calling us when a legit English professor reviews Sarah's book. I'm sure it will not be the same glowing review that a *six-year-old* boy wrote.

A six year old could be more spirited and creative than Sarah and there are plenty of six year old children who have had more exposure to the world (positive and negative) than Sarah.

Archived