IGNORED

A Saturday With the Moodys (Maxwells)

Talitha Cumi

Honestly, I don't remember. I was frantically typing to get down every word I could. Also, I suck at recognizing fake crying. It all looks real to me. :) But I don't remember if he was crying or not. If he was at yours, then he probably was at mine too, because I don't think he'd change it up that much.

BTW, thank you for writing up your experience too! I feel bad that I keep taking so long in between installments.

I'm with you. I don't think he would switch it up that much. It just felt so absolutely rehearsed, like he had a note beside that section telling him to act emotional and sniffle, then comment on how much it makes him feel like crying.

And hey, no problem! Aside from watching the Maxwells push abusive isolation on the children of the fundies there, it was actually entertaining (HA, STEVE! ENTERTAINING! LIKE MOVIES!). Plus, I got to spend an entire Saturday with my husband, which was very welcome after recent hospitalizations and weeks of recovery stuck at home. :) I'm looking forward to your next installments of your conference.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think the Maxwells still use a schedule? With their adult children? Whatever would it say? Do you think they even schedule like showers? Whoah. I'd be wanting to get married to get the hell outta there and write my own schedule.

I remember that one of the adult married sons scheduled a time with his wife to discuss naming their child. So it looked like that they were still under ma and pa Maxwell's thumb. I did think that it was odd because wouldn't it that would come up in casual conversation between husband and wife. If they schedule a time for talking about baby names what else must they schedule?

I remember that one of the adult married sons scheduled a time with his wife to discuss naming their child. So it looked like that they were still under ma and pa Maxwell's thumb. I did think that it was odd because wouldn't it that would come up in casual conversation between husband and wife. If they schedule a time for talking about baby names what else must they schedule?

Makes you wonder, don't it?

I remember a couple of years ago Sarah wrote a post about how she and her sisters went over to Melanie's to help her clean. Melanie might have been on bed rest, I don't recall.

Anyway, Sarah said Teri decided it was o.k. that they put their schedule aside so they could go over and help Melanie.

They were all adults except Mary at the time.

Not to mention that for most people, if they want to catch a hubby they realize that maybe a good way to find a pool of potential hubbies who might share their interests is precisely to GO OUT and engage in those interests, join some clubs, do volunteer work, be in a community play, go on community trips, take classes at the community college or the park district, go attend public talks, that sort of thing.

How are you supposed to meet people when you don't leave the house???

Heck, I met my husband through political activism. Move to a place, find out the politics, go join up groups lobbying for what you want, go to events, eventually notice who in the circle isn't paired up, make it clear you're not paired up, arrange to volunteer for stuff with a single person, or even dare I say it just ASK a guy if he wants to go do some other activity alone.

But that would require... initiative, which is apparently forbidden for women to have. :roll:

ha - yes. The irony. Fundie men want their wives stuck at home, but to practice that, as young girls, the isolation leads to no male friends except for these artificial moments at group events: conferences, home school conventions, week long Bible schools. I guess for some girls that would also include mission trips. For ATI girls, it would be the Big Sandy conferences. These groups usually have such small churches that the kids don't have a lot of options for love. It's just so awkward. It's not like the young people are in the middle of doing a hobby or a job they enjoy as an extension of their own personality, and get surprised by love and friendship.

ha - yes. The irony. Fundie men want their wives stuck at home, but to practice that, as young girls, the isolation leads to no male friends except for these artificial moments at group events: conferences, home school conventions, week long Bible schools. I guess for some girls that would also include mission trips. For ATI girls, it would be the Big Sandy conferences. These groups usually have such small churches that the kids don't have a lot of options for love. It's just so awkward. It's not like the young people are in the middle of doing a hobby or a job they enjoy as an extension of their own personality, and get surprised by love and friendship.

The Maxwells don't even get to take part in normal fundie activities like mission trips or the Big Sandy conferences. The only conferences they attend are their own, which means a) they are busy working, and b) all of the adult attendees are already married with children. Then there's the Maxwells' "church" which is held in a nursing home. No chance to meet any single same-age-group friends there, unless they flirt with the staff.

Speaking of the "church", is that still happening? I'm sure it is, but it's been forever since there's been a post about it, let alone even mentioned. It just seems very weird, they used to post about it constantly. Maybe the nursing home isn't allowing them to exploit the elderly on their blog any more? Something to think about...

Speaking of the "church", is that still happening? I'm sure it is, but it's been forever since there's been a post about it, let alone even mentioned. It just seems very weird, they used to post about it constantly. Maybe the nursing home isn't allowing them to exploit the elderly on their blog any more? Something to think about...

I'm sure their "church" is still going on. Does anyone know why they started this church.

I'm sure their "church" is still going on. Does anyone know why they started this church.

They started it so they wouldn't have to socialize with other, faultier Christians; because the Bible says they should help widows; so Steve could be in control; because old people in a nursing home are unlikely to complain if they don't like whatever show is offered, and in fact would probably appreciate any attention they get; and because a nursing home is chock full of souls on the brink of the heaven-hell divide, ripe for saving.

They started it so they wouldn't have to socialize with other, faultier Christians; because the Bible says they should help widows; SO STEVE COULD BE IN TOTAL COMPLETE CONTROL; because old people in a nursing home are unlikely to complain if they don't like whatever show is offered, and in fact would probably appreciate any attention they get; and because a nursing home is chock full of souls on the brink of the heaven-hell divide, ripe for saving.

Loved your post and amended it a bit. ;)

Steve being in control and not having to be under anyone else's spiritual guidance or authority is #1 I think, period. His ego cannot take it. How he thinks he is qualified to lead a "church" with no training whatsoever, I don't know, but Steve's brain is a magical wonderland where he is King.

They started it so they wouldn't have to socialize with other, faultier Christians; because the Bible says they should help widows; so Steve could be in control; because old people in a nursing home are unlikely to complain if they don't like whatever show is offered, and in fact would probably appreciate any attention they get; and because a nursing home is chock full of souls on the brink of the heaven-hell divide, ripe for saving.

Thanks for the information!!! I always wondered and it never really said in the blog why they started the nursing home church. They even get other families to come. I'm sorry but nursing homes give me the creeps!!

I think they also had some issues with their original church. Steve didn't like being under the authority of the pastor and other church leaders. I got the impression from a Dad's corner or two that the men of the church tried to admonish him about something, and he wasn't having it. Can't remember which Dad's corner it was, but he talks about it as a general sort of thing that men should watch out for.

According to a blog post I read a few years ago, Steve and Terri go out to lunch or dinner weekly as part of what some may call a "date night". No childults. I think this is one of the subtle ways Steve has made Teri his obedient collaborator in the isolation and infantilization of their kids. Teri, like a lot of collaborators, gets better food and living conditions than her fellow prisoners. FFS, she even has a personal house servant/secretary in Sarah. What does she actually do anymore, other than tell Mary which workbook pages to complete? Gives me the chills when I think about how well and efficiently Steve plays his prisoners to keep his gulag running.

The Gulag Maxhellipelago

:o

Has anyone read the sample of Exciting Times With The Moodys ?? :? :? Grabbing meat and squirting brats….the snark just writes itself. Poor Frustrated Sarah.

Has anyone read the sample of Exciting Times With The Moodys ?? :? :? Grabbing meat and squirting brats….the snark just writes itself. Poor Frustrated Sarah.

Is that brats (snotty kids) or brats (sausage steeped in beer)?

Is that brats (snotty kids) or brats (sausage steeped in beer)?

The latter. Things get a bit too hot at the barbecue, meat is grabbed and squirting ensues. Luckily Mr. Moody manages to get a firm hold of the situation before all is lost.

The latter. Things get a bit too hot at the barbecue, meat is grabbed and squirting ensues. Luckily Mr. Moody manages to get a firm hold of the situation before all is lost.

Bratty kids and/or questionable behavior are not allowed in the Maxwell/Moody universe, even when it results in consequences or lessons learned. No, all must be happy happy joy joy no matter what.

Oh, yes -- slickcat79 alerted us to the, um . . . imagery, here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23943&start=20#p825300

And a discussion ensued. But really, we can talk about bursting bratwurst, and men grabbing them and blowing, some more. :D

Or, this line....which is not about tubes of meat-- but might be. :(

Mr. Delome's voice brought him back to the conversation. "--I'd never realized how lonely I was until I got married."

Bottom of the first page of the sample....

This sounds very, very dirty. :mrgreen:

Wow. That has to be the most random train thought I've ever read in 4 pages.

Boy starts playing guitar. Talk about Ma scheduling his and his brother having their practices at same time. Opining on how that works. Oooooo brownie smell! No just cake. That is right birthday tonight! Ok back to practice. --Random time passes-- Crap must brush hair and its 5:59. Dad is mad must apologize. Go next door. Random stuff about a sprinkler. Kids play with old dog ball. Cook brats. Random thoughts about a dog. FIRE!! Dad saves the day (OK not really). Lecture on grill cleaning.

Wow. That has to be the most random train thought I've ever read in 4 pages.

Boy starts playing guitar. Talk about Ma scheduling his and his brother having their practices at same time. Opining on how that works. Oooooo brownie smell! No just cake. That is right birthday tonight! Ok back to practice. --Random time passes-- Crap must brush hair and its 5:59. Dad is mad must apologize. Go next door. Random stuff about a sprinkler. Kids play with old dog ball. Cook brats. Random thoughts about a dog. FIRE!! Dad saves the day (OK not really). Lecture on grill cleaning.

Now add back in all the innuendos -- ahh, much better! Still a crazy random thought train, but at least amusing now :lol:

Isn't that an oxymoron. Exciting Times With The Moodys?

Archived