IGNORED

The Bible treats women equal to men

formergothardite

Not all Christians do claim the bible is infallible, though, or that it's the literal word of God. They believe it to be inspired by God but recorded by fallible humans. The basic "standard" for being Christian is believing that Jesus is the son of God (either literally or symbolically) and he died to save sinners. That's what makes people Christian according to most Christian doctrine, not following everything in the bible.

That doesn't solve the dilemma at all. If the bible is not the infallible word of God, how can it be trusted when it says Jesus was the son of God, that his dead atones for the sins of humankind?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't solve the dilemma at all. If the bible is not the infallible word of God, how can it be trusted when it says Jesus was the son of God, that his dead atones for the sins of humankind?

It can't, but I think that's where the idea of faith comes in. You have to believe it to be true even though there's no evidence, or something.

I do not agree with this idea of faith. Faith should be in accordance with human ability to think critically and should not contradict itself. If you do not see the bible as inerrant, yet base your faith upon it, it is no different than believing black cats bring bad fortune or something like that.

This is what annoys me about Christianity. People cherry pick. All of what Jesus does is gospel truth (no pun intended) but anything dodgy is a 'product of the time'. You can't have it both ways.

I do not agree with this idea of faith. Faith should be in accordance with human ability to think critically and should not contradict itself. If you do not see the bible as inerrant, yet base your faith upon it, it is no different than believing black cats bring bad fortune or something like that.

Oh, I agree. Then again, I think the idea of there being any god as logical, nor do I see viewing the bible as inerrant as at all logical. The latter is also blind faith as much as believing in God while not believing the bible.

This is something different than you posted previously. Believing in GOD is no matter of believing the bible. Believing Jesus is the son of God and saviour is.

This is what annoys me about Christianity. People cherry pick. All of what Jesus does is gospel truth (no pun intended) but anything dodgy is a 'product of the time'. You can't have it both ways.

I was a medievalist for a while.I love Chaucer's sense of rhythm, his joy in human variety, his twitting of self-righteous people. I can't stand his gender politics. I focused on what I like and either critiqued or ignored the rest, understanding that his gender politics are a product of a particular time and place and don't set him apart from his contemporaries.

There are family members whom I dearly love, with whom I can't talk politics. I focus on what I like and either critique (if I'm spoiling for a fight) or ignore (mostly) the rest. I see where their politics come from, though I don't share them.

My relationship with the bible is very similar. There are things I find profoundly comforting, things I find provocative in a productive way, and things I can't stomach. (Punishing the Israelites for refusing to kill the women and children of a nation that they've conquered? It does not bother me to admit I've got problems with that.)

I know plenty of people who would say, "Forget Chaucer, there are plenty of things to read that don't raise my blood pressure," or, "Life is too short to spend with family around whom you can't be completely honest." I think it's a totally legitimate response to cut off contact with a person (or not read a book) that you find more harmful than helpful to you. But it's not the only way of doing things.

I'm not saying you can't appreciate the Bible as a piece of text, or say it's totally devoid of beauty, but it bothers me when Christians say it's the infallible word of God but the nasty parts aren't.

zOfjkl-3SNE

"You're saying that just by simply telling them women are equal to men, I could significantly reduce human suffering?

...Nah, I just don't want to mess with that kind of thing, it's a cultural thing!"

zOfjkl-3SNE

"You're saying that just by simply telling them women are equal to men, I could significantly reduce human suffering?

...Nah, I just don't want to mess with that kind of thing, it's a cultural thing!"

Absolutely loved this, slickcat. Thanks for posting.

I'm not saying you can't appreciate the Bible as a piece of text, or say it's totally devoid of beauty, but it bothers me when Christians say it's the infallible word of God but the nasty parts aren't.

Absolutely! It is one thing to say that it is a nice ancient book that has SOME good ideas in it, but in the end it is just a nice book. It is a total other thing to claim it is the word of God and that life and society should be based on it.

Archived