IGNORED

Australian Blogger's Son Dies- Sparkling Adventures

princessjo1988

Please, abba, by all means, pass on details of the greatest tragedy this family will ever know to a bunch of strangers. I think it's a great idea to give out information that hasn't been released to the press before the trial even begins.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the video clip all the family faces are blurred out, the dad's voice is altered, and they don't say his name. Is that standard in Australian media? I certainly understand blurring the kids' faces, but in this case it was the parents too. Everyone but the baby.

Yeah they will sometimes if it involves a child/is ongoing - but as it's already been released I'm not sure why they did that, you do get names and faces fairly often. Maybe something changed with the case or it was at family request. In general though we probably are stricter on privacy than the USA e.g. it is illegal to release the name/photo of a juvenile convicted or charged with a crime, also no camera in court rooms, and they usually won't release the name of a convicted criminal who was a rapist or child rapist if they think it could lead to the victim being identified.

I don't think she'll share any news which isn't available in public. So far she hasn't.

I tried to be impartial and anonymous-ish in my other post but I don't think I can keep doing it: "the father", "the baby" etc,. I too am close to this situation and it's not online. I don't care what people say or if they lash out. It's fine to do that. There's a lot of anger and heartbreak at the moment and at the moment the family's main focus is staying together to support Lauren and the girls. One of the hardest things is that the family is spread all over the globe and they want to be in Australia.

Yeah, adidas, I was ungracious and probably unreasonable in my comment. Like you say, a lot of people are hurting at the moment. abba12, I'm sorry for lashing out like that, and I think I understand that the parts of your original comment that annoyed me the most were because of your reaction to the situation.

No need to apologize, everyone reacts differently to news like this - and if I'm totally honest abba's post annoyed me a bit too. To be fair, she did say that she would only share non-personal information, I'm not sure if she meant that she'd be getting it from online forums, community gossip or from the media but I don't think she's in a position to threaten to take her toys and go home if she doesn't like the posts. She doesn't know the family and she doesn't have any inside info. We all need to process it and we all do it in different ways. The bottom line is that nobody except David knows the truth at this stage. We all have our theories, sure, and I don't see the harm in voicing it because it helps us to work through an incredibly horrible event. I hope I'm not coming off as being too preachy. This is raw stuff. I just logged off facebook because I've seen enough pain from the family today.

To be honest this is probably one of the most disturbing things I've read in a while. I just hope for the best for that poor family in this hard time.

The circumstances seem to be way off, I wonder if the father was on something? I don't know, everything I read paints them as a lovely, caring family... Something is way amiss here.

This is from the news story in the Courier.

Just an hour after her son lost his life, Mrs Fisher posted a heart-rending online tribute to Elijah: "I was so blessed to meet Elijah Rainbow. 26.11.11 - 23.06.12. I love you, little one. Go with God," she tweeted.

Edited to add: The mother is blogging throughout this horrid ordeal. I don't get it.

Guest Anonymous
Gotta love how I'm automatically treated with suspicion.

Yeah, it's not like you're a quite nasty fundie yourself who has a history of trying to police people's behavior here and flouncing when it doesn't work. If you don't like the way people talk here, feel free to get the fuck out. No one has the slightest obligation to play nicely with you.

This is from the news story in the Courier.

Edited to add: The mother is blogging throughout this horrid ordeal. I don't get it.

Well some people deal with things differently than others. I know that I would probably be one to get my feelings out there too. When my bf's brother died I felt horrible and yet ended up blogging about it that same day. It's not 'weird' but the way she chose to deal with it. Same thing happened when my mother got kidnapped. I blogged and tweeted about it but it didn't mean I didn't genuinely care.

Well some people deal with things differently than others. I know that I would probably be one to get my feelings out there too. When my bf's brother died I felt horrible and yet ended up blogging about it that same day. It's not 'weird' but the way she chose to deal with it. Same thing happened when my mother got kidnapped. I blogged and tweeted about it but it didn't mean I didn't genuinely care.

I don't get it at all.Really I shake my head when I read this kind of stuff. I don't get putting it all out for the entire world. I certainly would have friends I depended and would choose to communicate with them privately.

I don't get it at all.Really I shake my head when I read this kind of stuff. I don't get putting it all out for the entire world. I certainly would have friends I depended and would choose to communicate with them privately.

Well they move around a lot and stuff so maybe that is the way they chose to handle it to keep those interested knowing without having to sit down, write ten emails and send them. In my case I have severe anxiety when talking to people one on one... so, I write things down better (in many cases I even write things for my doctor and avoid talking to them directly. Also, I don't have many friends either way and the ones I do have I tend to keep at arms length so, for me, blogging is the best way I find of expressing my feelings.

Yeah, it's not like you're a quite nasty fundie yourself who has a history of trying to police people's behavior here and flouncing when it doesn't work. If you don't like the way people talk here, feel free to get the fuck out. No one has the slightest obligation to play nicely with you.

Yeah, I think the "I'll stay if the thread doesn't get nasty" means "I hope nobody remembers all the shit I said, especially about protecting my kids from the ebil gays and brings it up. And if they do I will so flounce."

This story is so tragic. Just so tragic. :(

Well they move around a lot and stuff so maybe that is the way they chose to handle it to keep those interested knowing without having to sit down, write ten emails and send them. In my case I have severe anxiety when talking to people one on one... so, I write things down better (in many cases I even write things for my doctor and avoid talking to them directly. Also, I don't have many friends either way and the ones I do have I tend to keep at arms length so, for me, blogging is the best way I find of expressing my feelings.

I'd used the phone, but I don't have communication issues. I do have privacy issues. This woman's FB is not set to private, she wants the world to see her acting out. In the long run, I can't imagine it being good for her husbands defense.

I'd used the phone, but I don't have communication issues. I do have privacy issues. This woman's FB is not set to private, she wants the world to see her acting out. In the long run, I can't imagine it being good for her husbands defense.

Well... no one really read my blog, maybe a few people sent me 'good vibes' messages but mostly, for me, it was about communicating my feelings in some way. I wasn't expecting anyone to read, it was mostly for my own sanity.

I wouldnt ascribe any motives to her other than unbelievable sorrow, betrayal, fea, confusion. I haveNO idea how i would react to this situation, i hope never to. But it seems unkind to me to judge someone who must be in anguish's response. A blogger i read lost her husband to suicide, and blogging about it was how she got the support she needed. This is allso sad. I wonder if the husband had a transitory psychoticbreak.

I wouldnt ascribe any motives to her other than unbelievable sorrow, betrayal, fea, confusion. I haveNO idea how i would react to this situation, i hope never to. But it seems unkind to me to judge someone who must be in anguish's response. A blogger i read lost her husband to suicide, and blogging about it was how she got the support she needed. This is allso sad. I wonder if the husband had a transitory psychoticbreak.

I speculate and judge news stories daily, and judge what people choose to put in the public realm. This is a point that is continuously repeated on these forums.

Lauren is boycotting the media in favor of speaking HER words (not the words the media ascribes to her). If you wish to know more, or to support her you can get details here:

http://www.facebook.com/sparklingelijahrainbow

It didn't take her long to get a new computer. Actually she didn't even slow down after the police seized her computer. How much money have they raised so far?

I don't want to judge people's reactions to grief but at the same time I also would be concerned about privacy; you never know who could find what you post publicly years down the road (or in this case right now as part of the investigation). I also wonder like with a lot of our fundy bloggers, if the children are going to grow up, leave, and then find pictures of themselves plastered all over the internet and feel exploited - especially the more inappropriate pictures (along the lines of Nie Nie and MckMama). A private blog or group email is not something I would be concerned about, but posting it publicly allows for judgment/criticism and potential negative implications later (like if a boss finds your blog). An online friend of mine's husband recently had a medical crisis and she was instagramming the whole thing. I can get a picture of him goofing off because it seems like he was having fun and would have been included in the decision to take a picture. But she had a pic of his surgical site right after surgery, and I feel like that was a bit exploitive (husband was probably on drugs, who knows if he'll think it was a good idea once things get back to normal) and a little MckMama-ish (with the whole tweeting thing), shouldn't you be helping him instead of taking pictures when he is so vulnerable? I mean if you really think family or close friends would want to see picture updates of the more personal/vulnerable parts of the hospital stay then send them privately.

I just watched the childs 'freebirth' on her Pinterest. I don't know how long her labor was, the filming was only about 9 minutes, but the cord was wrapped around the child's neck when he presented.

Her twitters go directly to her personal facebook page, which is how I was able to find her twitter feed. And experiencedd, she did slow down after losing her laptop - only twittering from her kindle for a time, until she gained access to another computer. That particular facebook page isn't being run by her either, but by someone else, I think.

It is hard to say how I (or anyone) would react in these circumstances - particularly when there is so much public interest in the case. It could be argued they should just shut everything down, and remove themselves from public view - but equally, some find coping easier when they can share their pain, and get support. As for the fundraising - that is a pretty common thing to happen for families that have lost members in such sudden, tragic circumstances, here (at least in my experiences) - but that facebook page is pretty strange even given that.

I certainly admit, though, that I don't necessarily like how she is handling some things - she has written she is trying to visit her husband in jail, which I find a little strange - and uncomfortable. If it was me, I would find it pretty unforgivable - and I wouldn't even consider going to see him. But that is just me, and for her, that might be necessary so that she can gain closure.

Her twitters go directly to her personal facebook page, which is how I was able to find her twitter feed. And experiencedd, she did slow down after losing her laptop - only twittering from her kindle for a time, until she gained access to another computer. That particular facebook page isn't being run by her either, but by someone else, I think.

It is hard to say how I (or anyone) would react in these circumstances - particularly when there is so much public interest in the case. It could be argued they should just shut everything down, and remove themselves from public view - but equally, some find coping easier when they can share their pain, and get support. As for the fundraising - that is a pretty common thing to happen for families that have lost members in such sudden, tragic circumstances, here (at least in my experiences) - but that facebook page is pretty strange even given that.

I certainly admit, though, that I don't necessarily like how she is handling some things - she has written she is trying to visit her husband in jail, which I find a little strange - and uncomfortable. If it was me, I would find it pretty unforgivable - and I wouldn't even consider going to see him. But that is just me, and for her, that might be necessary so that she can gain closure.

If it was me I think I would need to see him and ask him questions, even if that wasn't necessarily the healthiest idea or best legal strategy.

I just couldn't rest not knowing anything.

I can kind of understand why she wants to keep up her social networks, especially as she has been nomadic for some time and her online community is probably the most constant community she has. But maybe setting them to private would be a good idea. I read the post she wrote about identifying the babies body at the morgue, and it was painful and felt intrusive to read about such a private moment. I stopped reading there.

But really, she should do whatever she needs to to get through this time. It's just unimaginable.

That isn't lauren's words at all, it is a fundraising page, FFS. Who the fuck is writing that shit?

Her friends set up the page. It was sent to me by family.

Sorry, I should have hit enter after my first sentence. "If you want to know more or to support them" was not meant to translate to "here's what she's saying" although I'm pretty sure that page has the information about her twitter and it has some quotes. It did earlier when I saw it but I haven't been back.

I don't think the way she's doing it the wisest course, but I can understand her distrust of the media.

Archived