IGNORED

'Vagina' - An Unspeakable Word In Michigan

Visionoyahweh

When I asked her if she wanted to go, I told her that she might see and hear things that make her giggle (butt jokes are still hilarious to second graders). She felt she was mature enough to handle it and didn't understand why grown men couldn't.

I don't think any of the vagina-fearing house reps will show their faces near the demonstration, but I need to get one of those because now I can't wait to send them a picture of her with her Crayolas and those illustrations.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when did the government create a law telling us which body parts of ours we could and couldn't say? I'm curious, to say the least.

So what should I write back to Rep. Callton? I'm frankly shocked that he even responded to my email.

askdlfjasl;dfkj! * :shock: * Can you tell us what he told you, please? :pray:

Every time I think sexism can't shock me anymore, I'm proven wrong. I'm appalled that when a woman speaks eloquently but with emotion on a topic dear to her she is accused of throwing a temper tantrum and barred from speaking. Seriously, truly appalled.

Having seen the video, I'm pleased with her argument and think the use of the word "vagina" was valid (though I think "uterus" might have been a better choice) and something that second-graders, if they're listening to anything on abortion, should hear.

Edit: muffynbear, perhaps you can ask him what he thinks a vagina should be called in front of children or what word he thinks should have been used?

So what should I write back to Rep. Callton? I'm frankly shocked that he even responded to my email.

If he's concerned about protecting little ears from mature topics, perhaps a classroom being present during discussion on an abortion bill wasn't ideal. However, that is a scheduling issue to be taken up with someone besides Rep. Brown, who was doing her job representing her constituents.

If the "statement" he's concerned about is "my vagina", well he needs to recognize that women actually have vaginas -- they don't merely exist in biology books. Women also have arms and legs and livers and jobs. Get over it.

If it's "...your interest in my vagina" that he finds so offensive, feel free to call him a mysoginistic asshole. As a legislator considering a bill that will essentially close reproductive health centers throughout the state, he needs to have an interest in all of Michigan's vaginas. It's not about sex. She wasn't beeing lewd. By assuming she was, in these circumstances, he is turning all of Michigan's vagina-ed citizens into mere sexual receptacles.

I watched the video. She was intelligent and eloquent. That's not a temper tantrum.

If exposing children to "vagina" is so traumatizing, why are they being exposed to an abortion debate? Honestly, I had no problem explaining vaginas long before age 7, since it's just a body part, but abortion's a harder subject, no matter what your position is. That said, since when does any government debate on an important issue get censored because children may hear it? Shall we not talk about crime, or the use of torture, or terrorism, or cancer, or the death penalty, etc?

I, personally think that this man ought to explain himself. He wont, nonetheless you can ask him questions that he would be way too terrified to actually give a direct honest answer to and then make that public.

------------

Dear Mr. Callton,

Pretending that I was ignorant as to the context in which the word, "vagina" was used is evasive, and, frankly, rather sleazy. You avoided that actual issue. So I have a few questions for you. First of all, if, as you have stated, you have no problem with the word, "vagina," but you object to the specific context in which it was used, then I would greatly appreciate if you would be so kind as to state, specifically, whit the particular sentence:

“Finally Mr. Speaker, I’m flattered that you’re all so interested in my vagina, but ‘no’ means ‘no,’â€

Is so offensive to you. If you have no objection to use of the term "vagina" but to the context, then please, by all means, give me some examples in which the word "vagina" could be spoken on the house floor in the State of Michigan, such that it would NOT be offensive to you.

Or perhaps it is the presence of second-graders that you mention (funny that I have not seen this mentioned in any news article about the subject,) so, if you would be so kind as to explain to me the exact age at which an individual may safely hear the word "vagina." (Said, of course, in the proper context according to such wise and well-informed individuals as yourself.)

Finally, Mr Callton, if saying vagina in the presence of second-graders (in such an abhorrent context as Ms. Brown used it) is so wrong, then I would like you to explain how demonstrating to second-graders that our country's state representatives are subject to repressive censorship of they say something that persons such as yourself don't want to hear. It appears that you find it appropriate to teach second graders that you can propose legislation that places legal mandates and restriction of the way that a women can use her own body and if a woman has any objections to your proposed oppression of her autonomy then it's acceptable for you to tell her to shut her the fuck up.

Do tell me just why it is that you think this is OK in a democracy.

Sincerely,

[..]

-----------------

As I said -- there is no way that you would actually get a response from him -- he wont even continue to read it after the first sentence. He may send an irrelevant form-letter to make it look like he read it -- but that's about the best you will get.

Good lord. It seems like every few months there's video of a male politician having an actual tantrum. This sounds like it was nothing of the sort.

And why were 2nd graders witnessing discussion of abortion issues anyway?

This whole comment. What it boils down to is that it's ok for men to get angry, and it's not ok for women. And if 2nd graders can't hear about female body parts and consent, they shouldn't be present for what is essentially a discussion on female body parts and consent.

From todays Huffpo

LANSING, Mich. -- A Michigan lawmaker barred from speaking in the state House after she used the word "vagina" during a debate on an anti-abortion bill will participate in a performance of the Tony Award-winning play, "The Vagina Monologues," on the state Capitol steps.

Michigan Democratic Party fundraiser Laura Hornshaw said Saturday in an email that Monday evening's performance was planned in response to Rep. Lisa Brown not being allowed to speak on the House floor Thursday.

Republicans who control the chamber said the West Bloomfield Democrat violated decorum Wednesday while speaking against a bill requiring doctors to ensure women aren't coerced into ending their pregnancies.

Brown told Republicans she was flattered they were "all so concerned about my vagina. But no means no."

Below, a slideshow of nine lies Republicans tell about women's

I was so hoping for this. I'm a monologues alum circa 2002.

I think I've arranged childcare and skipping 1/2 an hour of work to show up for the last 45 min or so on Mon night...

I hope.

":2w5ifst9]

I, personally think that this man ought to explain himself. He wont, nonetheless you can ask him questions that he would be way too terrified to actually give a direct honest answer to and then make that public.

------------

Dear Mr. Callton,

Pretending that I was ignorant as to the context in which the word, "vagina" was used is evasive, and, frankly, rather sleazy. You avoided that actual issue. So I have a few questions for you. First of all, if, as you have stated, you have no problem with the word, "vagina," but you object to the specific context in which it was used, then I would greatly appreciate if you would be so kind as to state, specifically, whit the particular sentence:

“Finally Mr. Speaker, I’m flattered that you’re all so interested in my vagina, but ‘no’ means ‘no,’â€

Is so offensive to you. If you have no objection to use of the term "vagina" but to the context, then please, by all means, give me some examples in which the word "vagina" could be spoken on the house floor in the State of Michigan, such that it would NOT be offensive to you.

Or perhaps it is the presence of second-graders that you mention (funny that I have not seen this mentioned in any news article about the subject,) so, if you would be so kind as to explain to me the exact age at which an individual may safely hear the word "vagina." (Said, of course, in the proper context according to such wise and well-informed individuals as yourself.)

Finally, Mr Callton, if saying vagina in the presence of second-graders (in such an abhorrent context as Ms. Brown used it) is so wrong, then I would like you to explain how demonstrating to second-graders that our country's state representatives are subject to repressive censorship of they say something that persons such as yourself don't want to hear. It appears that you find it appropriate to teach second graders that you can propose legislation that places legal mandates and restriction of the way that a women can use her own body and if a woman has any objections to your proposed oppression of her autonomy then it's acceptable for you to tell her to shut her the fuck up.

Do tell me just why it is that you think this is OK in a democracy.

Sincerely,

[..]

-----------------

As I said -- there is no way that you would actually get a response from him -- he wont even continue to read it after the first sentence. He may send an irrelevant form-letter to make it look like he read it -- but that's about the best you will get.

Well done! That was very well written!

I really want to hear him explain why the correct word for a human body part is inappropriate for children. It's the correct word!

Hi there. I'm a long time lurker and I finally had to become a member just so I could do this...

Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Mitt Romney Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Doug Phillips is a Tool Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Rick Santorum Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Doug Phillips is a Tool Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Rodney King Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Doug Phillips is a Tool Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Michigan Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Doug Phillips is a Tool Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina.

I have now typed Vagina so many times and repeated so often in my head that it has ceased to have any real meaning.

Well done! That was very well written!

I really want to hear him explain why the correct word for a human body part is inappropriate for children. It's the correct word!

Thank you, I apologize for the typos. I apologized to my poor keyboard after writing that -- it still works. Tough old thing.

Another thing that it thought of was that this guy is complaining about the "CONTEXT?!" So, Callton, is it that you object to the word "vagina" being followed by the phrase "no means no"?

Telling, very telling.

":2qp7mzev]

Thank you, I apologize for the typos. I apologized to my poor keyboard after writing that -- it still works. Tough old thing.

Another thing that it thought of was that this guy is complaining about the "CONTEXT?!" So, Callton, is it that you object to the word "vagina" being followed by the phrase "no means no"?

Telling, very telling.

I did end up writing back to him. I do apologize if I'm rambling in my email. I doubt he will respond to my questions.

Thank you for responding to my email Mr. Callton. I would greatly appreciate a copy of the transcript if you will forward it to me. Regardless of context, 'vagina' is a medically accurate term. Half of those second graders are female. Even if there were no second grade students present, would you have continued to censor the word 'vagina'? Was their presence the sole factor in censoring the use of the word 'vagina'? Is there a different term that should have been used instead of 'vagina'? The subject was abortion, if I'm not mistaken? What about freedom of speech? Your explanation contradicts what is being released in the media about this incident.

Speaking of this abortion "super-bill": If you (collectively speaking), restrict a woman's right to choose, you are not stopping abortions. Women will continue to seek abortions through other unsafe means. Which in turn could kill them. How is that pro-life?

If a woman is forced to carry a pregnancy and becomes seriously ill and dies as a result, how is that pro-life? I just don't understand how this anti-abortion bill can be considered pro-life, when you're basically forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy that may kill her in the end due to health complications.

I was needed at home so I missed the rally. But I, who never ever ever EVER does politics on my FB (ever. :-)) made an exception. 2x in the history of FB, I made an exception.

This bill and the 'lets kill your pitbull' bill.

This is my first post, though I've been lurking for over a year now. I'm a fairly recent transplant to Michigan, and I have to say I'm appalled. Appalled. I'm a former classroom teacher turned grad student, and when I was working with middle schoolers, all of the teachers in our district had to undergo sexual abuse prevention training called "From Darkness to Light." One of the points of this training was that it's important to teach children the proper names for their body parts and use those names when discussing parts of anatomy. http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGcISE ... _Abuse.htm So the presence of 2nd graders shouldn't even be a concern. Anyway. Just my two cents.

If my child were a member of that class of second graders who were observing proceedings, my concern wouldn't be the word "vagina". It would be "why the hell are they discussing abortion issues in front of 7 and 8 y/os"...WTF

Archived