IGNORED

'Vagina' - An Unspeakable Word In Michigan

Visionoyahweh

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/ ... hp?ref=fpa

“It was so offensive, I don’t even want to say it in front of women,†one state representative said. “I would not say that in mixed company.â€

But Brown was defiant, accusing her colleagues of trying to censor her with their sensitive take on acceptable decorum.

“If I can’t say the word vagina, why are we legislating vaginas?†Brown said at a press conference. “What language should I use?â€

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's so offensive about vagina? It's a fucking body part for fucksake. It's not like they're using some dirty slang for it, it's the scientific term.

I'm going to crash the next Michigan legislative session and yell out "VAGINA" at random. Who's with me???

Oh, my delicate female eyes have been offended by seeing the dreaded v-word!

Seriously, between this and that Florida State Senator who got reprimanded for using the word "uterus," I hate how medical terms are becoming swears. I'd rather my hypothetical future children use the medical terms for things than slang terms. I was watching a Family Guy rerun on my local FOX affiliate at 1am and they bleeped out Stewie saying "penis" and "vagina"--even though the entire point of the joke was that he wasn't pronouncing them correctly. The legislators who banned Brown probably think like this scene from King of the Hill when Peggy was practicing saying terms out loud to teach a sex ed class:

Peggy: Hank, I did it! I--

Hank: Of course you did! I heard you, the whole neighborhood could hear you cussin'.

Peggy: It is not "cussin'", Hank, to say the name of a G-d-given body part.

Hank: It is if it's a part of the body that was meant to be concealed by an undergarment. You're dealing with organs that people just don't want to know about!

Peggy: Well Bobby ought to know about them. We don't want him growing up as repressed as we did.

Hank: Sure, we do!

I close with this Onion article: "Renowned Hoo-Ha Doctor Wins Nobel Prize For Medical Advancements Down There"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/renown ... ical,2692/

It is very troubling that the new tactic seems to be preventing any viewpoints other than anti-choice. I think I read that only supporters of the bill were allowed to testify. A similar thing happened in Ohio with legislation to defund Planned Parenthood. There were 11 supporters that testified for the defunding and only 2 to support PP.

And the constituents of these districts also have no representation if there representatives cannot speak. It's disgusting. :evil:

Real names of body parts as cuss words?

Well, as Ado Annie from Oklahoma would say, "Foot!"

I'm going to crash the next Michigan legislative session and yell out "VAGINA" at random. Who's with me???

I live in the Capitol. 5 minutes from the building. I also know the best coffee spots. C'mon over!

Mortified Michigander here. Totally down for gatecrashing!

If 'vagina' is so unspeakably offensive, what am I supposed to call it? Would 'pussy' be an acceptable alternative??

What's so offensive about vagina? It's a fucking body part for fucksake. It's not like they're using some dirty slang for it, it's the scientific term.

I know! It's not like Rep. Brown said cunt or pussy. Cunt needs to reclaimed, IMHO and should not be considered the most vulgar word in the language. I think pussy is sort of playfully vulgar, but it's still vulgar. Vagina is so NOT vulgar.

As I was writing my reply, I thought about the episode of King of the Hill where Peggy is asked to teach sex education and therefore needs to get comfortable saying the names of various body parts aloud.

Oh, God, I have nothing to add except to say "Vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina !"

Half of the people in Michigan have a vagina. How is it vulgar? Its the correct anatomical name for that body part. How is vagina more offensive than penis?

“It was so offensive, I don’t even want to say it in front of women,†one state representative said. “I would not say that in mixed company.â€

But Brown was defiant, accusing her colleagues of trying to censor her with their sensitive take on acceptable decorum.

“If I can’t say the word vagina, why are we legislating vaginas?†Brown said at a press conference. “What language should I use?â€

What he is really saying is that the women don't have a problem with the word, he has the problem. It reminds me of 10 year olds getting sex ed for the first time in school and giggling when the teacher says penis or vagina. Or that he would do anything for sex and is afraid of the power any vagina has over him.

This is scary. A vagina is quintessentially female. By making it dirty or unacceptable to say, it is furthering alienating woman from the norm and making woman more of an other.

Well, as Ado Annie from Oklahoma would say, "Foot!"

And here I thought my crush on you couldn't get any bigger. :mrgreen:

I live in the Capitol. 5 minutes from the building. I also know the best coffee spots. C'mon over!

I'm on the way, lol!!

Guest Anonymous
This is the best Hive Hoo-Ha

We've had a 'Ma'am and Sir' thread. Now I am curious about the regional distribution of the word Hoo-Haa.

We've had a 'Ma'am and Sir' thread. Now I am curious about the regional distribution of the word Hoo-Haa.

Heh, I actually like Cooter better. :lol:

I can't make it to Michigan. But I can tweet VAGINA over and over to the MI House GOP twitter feed. And I can knit and/or crochet vaginas: http://www.governmentfreevjj.com/the-patterns/

I've been Twitterbombing the MI House GOP page:

My #vagina itches. Perhaps I should get some feminine itch cream?
:twisted: Yeah, I'm a bitch like that.

Heh, I actually like Cooter better. :lol:

I'm not going to be able to watch the Dukes of Hazzard with a straight face any time soon.

Can we use vajayjay? How about vajazzle? Vajingo? Pussy? Front bottom?

I personally like hoochie.

Argh. Why are people so offended by legitimate anatomical terms? This attitude only leads to people being less able to talk about health issues.

Also, what would they like healthcare workers to do? Just be ambiguous and say 'private parts' or something?

Wish we knew which state rep it was. I'd find their facebook page and post;

Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina

Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina Vagina

I might even ending with a CUNT just to get the message across.

This is scary. A vagina is quintessentially female. By making it dirty or unacceptable to say, it is furthering alienating woman from the norm and making woman more of an other.

This is what bothers me about this. It's the same reason I'm bothered that "cunt" is so much worse a word than slang words for penis, because it makes female sexuality dirty and gross.

I have a vagina, and I'm damn well going to call it what it is.

Archived