IGNORED

The end is nigh, apparently.

Sola

The world is supposed to end on May 27th.... hmm, that's hubby's birthday, so maybe I can get away with forgetting to buy him a gift. LOL

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at least the end comes after I graduate on May 7. But now I have to hurry it up and get all all the other stuff I wanted to do in life done in three weeks. Damn.

Oh shoot, I hadn't realized that's the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. That's the day we always have a big drunken party down at our dock and swim and float in the river till we are exhausted. I just can't do an apocalypse that day; I'm already committed.

That's strange because while I was at the dump two old guys were saying the end is coming. I thought it was because they both were in their 80s so much time could they possibly have?

It's fuckin' RANT TIME!

Fuck him, and fuck all the lying prognosticators who claim to know the mind of God and wish for the world to end.

Let me tell you a story:

The Marianas Trench, located in the Pacific Ocean, is deeper than Mount Everest is tall. For the first time in over 50 years, a man – the first ever to have made the journey alone – braved the unrelenting pressure of these amazing depths so that he might take 3D photographs in the basement of the world. With help from National Geographic, which plans to collaborate on a documentary about the Marianas Trench, well-known producer James Cameron risked his own life to record a part of the Earth – our only home - few people will ever see.

And there, 3500 feet below sea level, Cameron found life – life growing on a surface as alien as the moon. He claims to have felt detached from the rest of humanity – and indeed, he was. No matter what happened above during his time in the trench, it was highly unlikely to affect him while he remained so deep.

This happened about a month ago. When the story began appearing on sites such as this ond, the comment sections were hijacked by a bunch of trolls who bitched about how unfair it was that an atheist should explore that trench; that such an amazing opportunity weren't left for a more 'gawd-fearing' man. Never-mind that Cameron and National Geographic bankrolled this, or that Cameron actually designed the sub he used to explore the trench: Someone else deserved it more because they are willing to mouth platitudes about God. (So much for the capitalism some of these whitewashed tombs idolize).

Granted, most of us to not have access to the same resources as Cameron does, but that should in no way diminish our curiosity or place severe limits around what we can do – e.g., buying a microscope set – to learn more about the natural world.

The natural world! The world we were allegedly given charge over, that we might work the land and be good stewards of its bounty.

SNIP XXXXXXX

Gnats! Liars!

It may not be the Mariana's trench but last Friday I went to the Meteor Crater in Arizona. It's a natural wonder of the world, and you have to wonder about it's creation? Did the deity decide to blow a hole in the desert just for the hell of it? Were they shooting marbles and one fell off the celestial table and hit? Even though the blast obliterated any life in the area in 10 seconds, life came back slowly but surely. No matter what the universe throws us, the earth has survived. And I don't believe these hacks for one minute.

Sounds like he is trying to pick up on Harold Camping's old fans.

Yes, in case Camping didn't already pick them clean of every last dollar. These people are all charlatans.

The thing is that sooner or later the world IS going to end. They just keep hoping they will be right!

So what dates do we have for Armageddon so far?

May 27th?

December 21st?

Any others? I suppose it if does, at least those of us still alive at this moment get a ringside seat - so what I would like to know is who's bringing the popcorn?

According to DH (who studies stuff like this for funsies) we have several hundred million years ahead of us before the world really WILL end, barring some unforeseen disaster like an asteroid hit or disaster from our own preventable stupidity (nuclear war, environmental raping to the point of no return, etc.). I don't think an asteroid will hit exactly on those days, so... on with recycling and protesting war, plus debauchery, eating, drinking, being merry, all that. :)

I know, me too! I'm going to have to work hard to make sure I get all that debauchery in before 27th May. Looks like we will have a busy month; what with all the gay abortion parties that Tabby says we're having and now I've got to add in some perversions and drug taking too.

It's going to be a tough month. :lol:

I have a whole bunch of food to eat in the freezer too. Nom nom nom. Ice cream alternating with cocaine. Nom nom nom. And bitch please, I'm going to have an abortion every day!

I have a whole bunch of food to eat in the freezer too. Nom nom nom. Ice cream alternating with cocaine. Nom nom nom. And bitch please, I'm going to have an abortion every day!

And again, me too! Went to Costco last week and filled the freezer up for the next couple of months. Dammit I could have spent that money on booze instead! Or I could have hired a couple of hookers to snort cocaine off of. Sod this, I'm going to have an abortion now just to make me feel better :lol:

Thankfully I'm not really surrounded by people who put any stock into the Mayan thing, though it's long been a joke in my household - "Of course the world isn't going to end in 2000, it's going to end in 2012. Everyone knows that." But seriously, don't any of these people remember the hub-bub over the year 2000? The people who stockpiled stuff? Heck, we even had the Y2K bug, something that even sounded plausible as a way to cause major destruction exactly as the clock flipped over past midnight. And, of course, nothing happened.

Okay, more derailment; but I get frustrated when people say things like the Y2K bug "even sounded plausible".

The whole reason nothing happened was that lots and lots of people spent lots and lots of time and lots and lots of brain- and computing-power making sure it wasn't going to. I knew several of them.

Y2K was not scaremongering. It was an Actual Thing, that people were talking about when I first started learning about computers back in 1984 (and I bet there's at least one person on the board who remembers it from before then).

According to DH (who studies stuff like this for funsies) we have several hundred million years ahead of us before the world really WILL end, barring some unforeseen disaster like an asteroid hit or disaster from our own preventable stupidity (nuclear war, environmental raping to the point of no return, etc.). I don't think an asteroid will hit exactly on those days, so... on with recycling and protesting war, plus debauchery, eating, drinking, being merry, all that. :)

So...what you're saying, is that I should hold back on telling my boss what I really think, because that might be awkward on the 28th of May?

So...what you're saying, is that I should hold back on telling my boss what I really think, because that might be awkward on the 28th of May?

;) Your call. I told my boss exactly what I thought of HIM at my last day job, walked out, and never looked back. Been freelancing ever since (and I don't think we had any impending "last days" coming up, either, though I can't quite remember. They happen so often, y'know? :pray: :lol: )

Y2K was not scaremongering. It was an Actual Thing, that people were talking about when I first started learning about computers back in 1984 (and I bet there's at least one person on the board who remembers it from before then).

Slowly barely sneaking hand up.

Okay, more derailment; but I get frustrated when people say things like the Y2K bug "even sounded plausible".

The whole reason nothing happened was that lots and lots of people spent lots and lots of time and lots and lots of brain- and computing-power making sure it wasn't going to. I knew several of them.

I agree. The software company I worked for had a few Y2K bugs - nothing that would bring the end of the world, but real issues that would have affected our customers. There was a lot of hiring, too. That was one busy December in technical support.

I agree. The software company I worked for had a few Y2K bugs - nothing that would bring the end of the world, but real issues that would have affected our customers. There was a lot of hiring, too. That was one busy December in technical support.

Erm, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't saying that the Y2K bug "sounded plausible" as an actual thing - obviously, it was. I'm saying it sounded plausible as something that could wreak real, world-changing, even apocalyptic havoc, precisely at the stroke of midnight - thus in keeping with doomsday prediction.

As we have only the vague end of the Mayan calendar, and not, say, an asteroid that we know of also headed right for us on that day - I'm saying people had far more reason to be afraid of 2000, if they were going to be afraid at all. And nothing (pertaining to the end of the world) happened.

Make sense now?

And again, me too! Went to Costco last week and filled the freezer up for the next couple of months. Dammit I could have spent that money on booze instead! Or I could have hired a couple of hookers to snort cocaine off of. Sod this, I'm going to have an abortion now just to make me feel better :lol:

I feel like we were separated at birth. Except you were born on one side of the pond and I on the other. Alas, I have run out of cocaine. Pity. Crack must do...

I feel like we were separated at birth. Except you were born on one side of the pond and I on the other. Alas, I have run out of cocaine. Pity. Crack must do...

Maybe we should have an FJ Coke 'n' Hookers Party on the 26th, with a recreational abortionist on site just in case.

Oh and just so you know that he is oh so reliable and absolutely must be believed, it looks like he is being busted for tax evasion http://ronaldweinland.info/falseprophet ... true-bill/

Enjoy.

well it better end before the taxman gets a hold of him. as that's far worse then gods wrath. then again if he is such a good profit you would think he would have seen that coming.

Maybe we should have an FJ Coke 'n' Hookers Party on the 26th, with a recreational abortionist on site just in case.

?type=image&size=full&id=aHR0cDovL2NhY2hlLmJvcmRvbS5uZXQvc3VibWl0dGVkLzEyOTYyNDQxMzlfdHVtYmxyX2xlc2RjbGt5Q2IxcXp2ZWM0bzFfNTAwLmdpZg%3D%3D

Erm, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't saying that the Y2K bug "sounded plausible" as an actual thing - obviously, it was. I'm saying it sounded plausible as something that could wreak real, world-changing, even apocalyptic havoc, precisely at the stroke of midnight - thus in keeping with doomsday prediction.

As we have only the vague end of the Mayan calendar, and not, say, an asteroid that we know of also headed right for us on that day - I'm saying people had far more reason to be afraid of 2000, if they were going to be afraid at all. And nothing (pertaining to the end of the world) happened.

Make sense now?

Fair enough. Pax?

An excellent idea. Then when we've done with the recreational abortions, we can go and have some wild, perverted sex too.

On the bright side, I still get to go see Priscilla: Queen of the Desert after college gets out. We get out on the 25th and we fly out that evening.

But I am so going to die laughing when the world doesn't end on the 27th.

We're doomed, DOOMED I tell you!

I was on FJ on my pad this morning when I noticed an ad at the top of the page. My desktop has an ad blocker so I don't normally see them, but my pad doesn't.

The ad was for the-end.com, warning us that 2008 was God's last warning and 2012 is the year the shit hits the fan...

Well of course I HAD to click it, which led me to a site full of prophesies by the self title prophet Ronald Weinland - yes he really does think that he is a prophet.

Oh my. What can I say? I'll give you some excerpts instead and let those do the talking.

Umm, ok.

Told you. We're doomed.

He has two books which you can download (free) if you so desire.

the-end.com/Download_Free_Book.asp

There are more witterings at his personal website:

ronaldweinland.com

And of course there is a church:

cog-pkg.org

Oh and just so you know that he is oh so reliable and absolutely must be believed, it looks like he is being busted for tax evasion http://ronaldweinland.info/falseprophet ... true-bill/

Enjoy.

I haven't yet finished my smocking......

An excellent idea. Then when we've done with the recreational abortions, we can go and have some wild, perverted sex too.

I want to come! I've never done all those things and want to be able to join the fun. Now, how do I get lordpuglover on board to knock me up just so that I can have an abortion? Silly man thinks that getting me pregnant in the first place isn't healthy for anyone but most of all me. :whistle:

Archived