IGNORED

Josh Duggar's Instagram (Part 2)

Alecto

Never - it is always a "scripted" show in that the producers set up various scenes, activities are constantly reshot/reenacted to catch something that happened when the camera crew wasn't there or the lighting/sound wasn't good enough, and the participants are given direction/suggestions on what to do/say concerning whatever the current "storyline" is.

The only thing that changes over time is that at first, you can satisfy the audience just with the basics - since no one knew anything about the Duggars, the producers could get away with mundane activities like Michelle "teaching" everyone what PER-PEN-DICK-U-LAR meant. But after you've done that for a couple of "seasons," there's nothing new left to tell. That's when the producers start inventing situations, trips, etc., and the "plots" get far more contrived. Since the participants aren't actors (painfully apparent in 95% of the "confessionals"), everything starts to get awkward-looking and awkward-sounding, like that 3rd-grade play by your kid's class.

Towards the end, as viewing drops, panic sets in for the producers, while the participants begin to think they really are speshul snowflakes who are entitled to whatever they want. That's when the producers begin throwing the really big prizes at them, like extravagant overseas trips, 1) in hopes that the scenery and novelty of the trip will distract the viewers from the fact that the trainwreck is going off the rails, and 2) to try to keep the participants satisfied to the end of the current contract.

So far, this exact same pattern has been followed to a T with both Jon and Kate and the Roloffs, and to date, it looks like the Duggars are right on schedule. The only thing that threw them off was the Jubilee fiasco, which actually might have worked in their favor. I suspect if Jubilee had been born, the show would have ended there. As it is, now the producers have one more "hook" they can use to eke out another season - will Michelle get pregnant again, and what will happen?

Refresh my memory what were the 'big' trips that Jon and Kate and the Roloffs took?

I just remember the Roloff house never was clean or was it just cluttered? hmmmm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gosselin's went on a ton of trips. I think the biggest one was Hawaii and New Zealand/Australia. They were supposed to go to South Korea but it fell through (I think it was because of the divorce but I'm not sure). They also went to the beach in one of the Carolinas (can't remember which one), Alaska, New York City, Philadelphia, and the RV trip around a couple of different states the only one of which I can remember is Nevada. That's a lot now that I look at it all typed out but it's all I can think of off the top of my head and with minimal googling. I never watched the Roloff's so I can't speak to them.

The Gosselin's went on a ton of trips. I think the biggest one was Hawaii and New Zealand/Australia. They were supposed to go to South Korea but it fell through (I think it was because of the divorce but I'm not sure). They also went to the beach in one of the Carolinas (can't remember which one), Alaska, New York City, Philadelphia, and the RV trip around a couple of different states the only one of which I can remember is Nevada. That's a lot now that I look at it all typed out but it's all I can think of off the top of my head and with minimal googling. I never watched the Roloff's so I can't speak to them.

Yes, the (completely comped) Hawaii trip was where they renewed their wedding vows and promised their kids "mommy and daddy will be together forever"- after they were already separated.

Stay classy, TLC.

I know the Roloffs went to Hawaii and it was interesting to see how little people deal with travel and places that don't cater to their stature. I shamefully admit liking Amy and learned a bit from her.

I know the Roloffs went to Hawaii and it was interesting to see how little people deal with travel and places that don't cater to their stature. I shamefully admit liking Amy and learned a bit from her.

My family in NJ just adored the Roloffs in spite of them being cray cray fundies, they actually convinced me to drive up to their pumpkin patch and pay a visit one year.

The Gosselins went to the Outer Banks on the North Carolina coast and the Roloffs went on a chartered sailing vacay in the Caribbean.

The Gosselins went to the Outer Banks on the North Carolina coast and the Roloffs went on a chartered sailing vacay in the Caribbean.

:o That means Khate at some point may have been in my Hometown.

Hometown has enough assfaces, thanks, Khate :evil:

My family in NJ just adored the Roloffs in spite of them being cray cray fundies, they actually convinced me to drive up to their pumpkin patch and pay a visit one year.

The Roloffs are fundies? :cry:

Not Fundie, maybe fundie light.

Right wing, wacka wacka Boregonian fundies. I actually attended a woman's conference and Amy was a speaker. I was there with a group of academic women from my Uni and it was amazing watching their heads explode. Amy discussed submission, now admittedly she didn't seem to dang submissive on TV, but she's had to run the household, her husband is very dysfunctional. I've heard that with the kids leaving things have gotten worse up there. Maybe I'll take another trip to the pumpkin patch this fall.

Right wing, wacka wacka Boregonian fundies. I actually attended a woman's conference and Amy was a speaker. I was there with a group of academic women from my Uni and it was amazing watching their heads explode. Amy discussed submission, now admittedly she didn't seem to dang submissive on TV, but she's had to run the household, her husband is very dysfunctional. I've heard that with the kids leaving things have gotten worse up there. Maybe I'll take another trip to the pumpkin patch this fall.

I have not seen her speak. I would not be surprised that her marriage is going down. Its so sad but, there were tale tale signs on tv. Her husband seems to be in a down word spiral. He seems to need to spend money on material possessions to be happy.

Roloffs are "hide in the closet" rightwingers, not exactly fundy. Their kids attend one of those Christian "rock'n'roll" churches with a young minister who exhorts his followers to "pray away the gay." Amy had Focus on the Family linked on her charity site until people starting pointing it out online, at which point it immediately vanished. They support the local conservative rightwing candidates. They sent their kids to a bible-based private school (although the youngest was kicked out right before the show ended, and now attends public school). But they rarely showed their faith on TV because they were scared it would drive away people who disliked those views (meaning most of us). They attempt to portray themselves as middle-of-the-road types, but they are anything but.

On the other hand, their hypocrisy lets them fit right in with the fundy crowd. Matt loves crowing about his (supposed) myriad of sexual conquests as a teenager/20-something, and is constantly pushing his sons to follow in his footsteps. He drinks a LOT of wine. The eldest boy drinks a lot and chases girls just like dad. Both Amy and Matt make money talking on "diversity and acceptance," but believe gays are evil sinners. Matt has been involved in numerous lawsuits over his business practices, and loves to sue other people just to cost them time and money.

Their big trips were the Caribbean private cruise, the Mississippi riverboat extravaganza, and the trip to Europe (mostly Germany, Italy, Britain, and Ireland). They got to cut to the front of the line at the Eiffel Tower by whining about how standing in line required them to look at average-size people's butts. They also got an entire house "remodel" that basically tripled or quadrupled their house size, and it was all custom-built with top-end finishings, and they have an exterior sport court (basketball and volleyball) and a swimming pool and hot tub that were comped during the show.

Since we're dishing on the Roloffs, I've also heard the youngest boy, who must be in his teens now, has some very serious behavioral problems. Another child casualty of reality shows? Or maybe it was all of those head injuries.

The only one I ever liked on the show was the daughter. Hopefully she's now in college far, far away from that dysfunctional home.

And the sad thing is, while the dysfunction likely pre-dated the show to some extent, there's little doubt the show made things far worse.

"Television ate my family." Lance Loud

I think a lot of folks don't remember the Louds, they were the first, uncensored reality family on TV. Unpackaged and with only minor editing.

Roloffs are "hide in the closet" rightwingers, not exactly fundy. Their kids attend one of those Christian "rock'n'roll" churches with a young minister who exhorts his followers to "pray away the gay." Amy had Focus on the Family linked on her charity site until people starting pointing it out online, at which point it immediately vanished. They support the local conservative rightwing candidates. They sent their kids to a bible-based private school (although the youngest was kicked out right before the show ended, and now attends public school). But they rarely showed their faith on TV because they were scared it would drive away people who disliked those views (meaning most of us). They attempt to portray themselves as middle-of-the-road types, but they are anything but.

On the other hand, their hypocrisy lets them fit right in with the fundy crowd. Matt loves crowing about his (supposed) myriad of sexual conquests as a teenager/20-something, and is constantly pushing his sons to follow in his footsteps. He drinks a LOT of wine. The eldest boy drinks a lot and chases girls just like dad. Both Amy and Matt make money talking on "diversity and acceptance," but believe gays are evil sinners. Matt has been involved in numerous lawsuits over his business practices, and loves to sue other people just to cost them time and money.

Their big trips were the Caribbean private cruise, the Mississippi riverboat extravaganza, and the trip to Europe (mostly Germany, Italy, Britain, and Ireland). They got to cut to the front of the line at the Eiffel Tower by whining about how standing in line required them to look at average-size people's butts. They also got an entire house "remodel" that basically tripled or quadrupled their house size, and it was all custom-built with top-end finishings, and they have an exterior sport court (basketball and volleyball) and a swimming pool and hot tub that were comped during the show.

I have heard a lot of those things in regards to the Roloffs. I remember there being a rumor on twop that Faith Bible was a bad school and one rumor that went around was that Matt wanted the kids to attend the public schools in their area but Amy didn't agree. I remember hearing about some of the lawsuits against Matt. I remember there was a lawsuit in the late 90's and early 00's that involved a temp employee who was injured picking fruit and Matt refused to pay for her medical care of something. There was also Jeremy's racist comments on MySpace scandal. Another twop rumor that went around was that Matt's dad Ron was a racist. There was also an LP blogger who had been friends with the Roloffs prior to them having a show. I can't remember her name, but she said that prior to the show Matt, Amy, and Zach were ok to be around. After the popularity of the show increased, Matt tried using that to get his way in LP organizations and Zach made some enemies when he bashed the Dwarf Athletic Association on the show.

I find the Roloffs to be a tad more likable than the Duggars. Matt and Amy admit that their family isn't perfect and on the show Amy didn't pretend everything was rainbows on the show. I would rather be around Amy than Michelle Duggar.

Jeremy Roloff (the older, non-LP son) has also been caught numerous times using racist (AA and Hispanic) and homophobic slurs. Interesting, coming from a guy who has bitched about people using anti-LP slurs like "midget".

I never liked the Roloffs. All the males in the family are jackasses (the youngest son had my sympathy for a while, because he was so young, but he's turned out to be a carbon copy of his dad and older brothers) and Amy enables all of them to be jackasses. The daughter is the only one I feel sorry for now (she had her bratty moments but those seemed to have been normal pre/teen issues, not the pathological, malignant problems of the rest of her family)

Since we're dishing on the Roloffs, I've also heard the youngest boy, who must be in his teens now, has some very serious behavioral problems. Another child casualty of reality shows? Or maybe it was all of those head injuries.

The only one I ever liked on the show was the daughter. Hopefully she's now in college far, far away from that dysfunctional home.

And the sad thing is, while the dysfunction likely pre-dated the show to some extent, there's little doubt the show made things far worse.

I've heard the Jacob rumors. Jacob always seemed a bit bratty since the beginning of the show. Molly was the only one that I really liked out of the family. I might be wrong, but I think Molly is a high school senior right now.

Looks like they went to (spoke at?) a college in Springdale. Maybe now Josh will claim he 'went to' a college?

Josh and Anna probably felt high and mighty speaking at a small Christian college. They probably got in to speak on connections. The smug couple would never be invited to speak at a large Christian college.

:o That means Khate at some point may have been in my Hometown.

Hometown has enough assfaces, thanks, Khate :evil:

Actually they were in College Town. They stayed at BHI, not the OBX. My sister was working for the local paper at the time, and was vaguely horrified to be sent to find them. She wrote a couple of articles.

I've heard the Jacob rumors. Jacob always seemed a bit bratty since the beginning of the show. Molly was the only one that I really liked out of the family. I might be wrong, but I think Molly is a high school senior right now.

I used to like the Roloffs until it became obvious that Matt was a complete jack ass, that Amy has various issues (one being she is a disgusting slob and allows her children to be disgusting slobs as well), that the "big" twin Jeremy was the golden boy of the family and obvious favorite, that Molly pretty much got the thankless job of being the "mature" one, and that Jacob was conceived in an effort to provide (Josh? the LP son) with an LP sibling. I could not believe Amy came out and admitted that they purposely tried to have an LP child for their older dwarf son. When he was born full-sized, I think it was a huge disappointment to them and Jake was basically left to his own devices.

Amy is a terrible mother; Matt is a worse father. It's no wonder Jake has turned out so bratty - he's never been loved by his parents and he knows it. The only one who loved him was the worker who helped on the farm but unexpectedly died.

Anyway - I hope Molly and Jake get away from their toxic parents when they are grown. Oh, I also recall hearing that Matt's father is a holy roller and a racist - what a shame, as he seemed fairly nice on the show. Someone posted some links on the TWOP board that had posts by Matt's father that were clearly racist.

I used to like the Roloffs until it became obvious that Matt was a complete jack ass, that Amy has various issues (one being she is a disgusting slob and allows her children to be disgusting slobs as well), that the "big" twin Jeremy was the golden boy of the family and obvious favorite, that Molly pretty much got the thankless job of being the "mature" one, and that Jacob was conceived in an effort to provide (Josh? the LP son) with an LP sibling. I could not believe Amy came out and admitted that they purposely tried to have an LP child for their older dwarf son. When he was born full-sized, I think it was a huge disappointment to them and Jake was basically left to his own devices.

Amy is a terrible mother; Matt is a worse father. It's no wonder Jake has turned out so bratty - he's never been loved by his parents and he knows it. The only one who loved him was the worker who helped on the farm but unexpectedly died.

Anyway - I hope Molly and Jake get away from their toxic parents when they are grown. Oh, I also recall hearing that Matt's father is a holy roller and a racist - what a shame, as he seemed fairly nice on the show. Someone posted some links on the TWOP board that had posts by Matt's father that were clearly racist.

I also liked the Roloffs for awhile. When their show first started they seemed ok, but over time stuff came out and viewers noticed how much Matt and Amy fought. There were a couple of a pre-series documentaries on the Roloffs that hinted at Matt and Amy's marriage troubles. They fought over money in one documentary because Matt lost a software sales job and was starting to peddle the LP motel kits. I also remember the twop links on Matt's dad Ron. It was a bit surprising since Ron seemed really nice on the show. I do hope Molly and Jake get away, but I wouldn't be surprised if Amy tries to control them. Amy tried to get the twins into a conservative Christian college.

It's no wonder Jake has turned out so bratty - he's never been loved by his parents and he knows it. The only one who loved him was the worker who helped on the farm but unexpectedly died.

I was just coming to address that. Jacob has gone downhill fast since (Mike?) died. I think there is a lot of unresolved grief there.

Molly is a smart young woman. Hope she gets into a good school, preferably far, far, away from her toxic family.

Okay, how does the buttnugget know about Steve Irwin (even if he can't spell his name right)? More proof there's at least basic cable at Chez Duggar, methinks. How much AP can one watch in a hotel room, especially when he's on pins and needles regarding the fate of Frothy 24/7/365?

He knows who Steve Irwin was? Let me guess - his death was due to democrats and a non-Christian stingray.

Archived