IGNORED

ABC's 'What Would You Do' tackles Mormons and virginity

QAF_Rocks

Did anyone else watch the most recent episode of ABC's What Would You Do?

One of the segments was about a young Mormon couple. The woman confesses that she is not a virgin, and the fiance calls off the wedding:

RtfPw2dRRvo

Drove me crazy! Especially the ending with all that talk about "forgiveness." The show almost seems to be endorsing the idea that pre-marital sex is something that needs to be forgiven.

i watched it..

speaking of tv shows SNL did a bit of a snark on politics. Seemed to be a snark on fundies maybe I wasn't sure.. showed several men dressed the same suppose to be the sons of one of the pres candidates. They all had T names.. I missed a bit of it maybe someone else caught all of it?

i watched it..

speaking of tv shows SNL did a bit of a snark on politics. Seemed to be a snark on fundies maybe I wasn't sure.. showed several men dressed the same suppose to be the sons of one of the pres candidates. They all had T names.. I missed a bit of it maybe someone else caught all of it?

I think they were suppose to be Mit Romneys sons. They were all wearing blue button downs and kaki's(sp).

Something about "What Would You Do" gives me a pain in the pit of my stomach. I think it's the whole idea of setting up uncomfortable situations to put people in. It's not cool.

Something about "What Would You Do" gives me a pain in the pit of my stomach. I think it's the whole idea of setting up uncomfortable situations to put people in. It's not cool.

I don't like it because it makes it seem like people should do things that are not always safe, like helping the homeless man lying on the street. Um, people have gotten mugged that way many times. Creeps will play on people's sense of good. Many things are when I would call the police, not get involved, like a group of thug, racist males beating up a Mexican and calling him slurs. Police, not me. They would most likely go after me. Ignorant and foolish to tell people they are bad people for not going up to help.

I agree. It's manipulative.

I don't like it because it makes it seem like people should do things that are not always safe, like helping the homeless man lying on the street. Um, people have gotten mugged that way many times. Creeps will play on people's sense of good. Many things are when I would call the police, not get involved, like a group of thug, racist males beating up a Mexican and calling him slurs. Police, not me. They would most likely go after me. Ignorant and foolish to tell people they are bad people for not going up to help.

Yeah, except plenty of people wouldn't even bother to call the police.

Very good points dairy free. I guess they probably notify police before their stunts, because I think (hope) your reaction would be the same as many others, but calling the police doesn't make for good TV. :roll:

Very good points dairy free. I guess they probably notify police before their stunts, because I think (hope) your reaction would be the same as many others, but calling the police doesn't make for good TV. :roll:

I think it's likely that the show's producers do notify the police, as some places require a permit for filming. It's also a CYA issue in case people do call the police on some actors.

I think it's likely that the show's producers do notify the police, as some places require a permit for filming. It's also a CYA issue in case people do call the police on some actors.

Every time someone tries to call 911, they always mention that the police have been notified and won't be coming.

It's definitely manipulative, but I can't help watching. It's not quite as much of a guilty pleasure as To Catch a Predator, but it's up there. I like to watch people's reactions, even if there's way too much of a "look how great we are" spin added at the end.

Last week's episode set in Utah had some horrible reactions, including a table full of people with the most shocking racism I've ever seen.

Liwd-AjsLpU

Yes, they do have local police notified. They state that. The authorities apparently monitor the number of calls to see how many people call the police. I've only ever called the cops on someone else once, when my neighbours were in a physical domestic squabble in the front yard of their home. Thankfully, that's been the only time when I felt it was necessary. I would think at the heart of things, people would do the right thing and get the police when it's not something they are equip to handle. Confront a racist waiter/waitress, okay to do without help. Confronting racist thugs beating up a guy? Not a good idea alone.

Every time someone tries to call 911, they always mention that the police have been notified and won't be coming.

It's definitely manipulative, but I can't help watching. It's not quite as much of a guilty pleasure as To Catch a Predator, but it's up there. I like to watch people's reactions, even if there's way too much of a "look how great we are" spin added at the end.

Last week's episode set in Utah had some horrible reactions, including a table full of people with the most shocking racism I've ever seen.

Liwd-AjsLpU

Holy fucking shit, for a second, I thought my ILs were talking. [And yes, I tell them they're wrong when they start in on their racist bullshit. Even though I'm wasting my breath.]

As much as I would go out on a dinner date with John Quiñones in a heartbeat, the show is lame. I'm surprised people aren't already suspicious of it because of the over-acting between the people involved.

Holy fucking shit, for a second, I thought my ILs were talking. [And yes, I tell them they're wrong when they start in on their racist bullshit. Even though I'm wasting my breath.]

I hate to say it, but considering their age, it's not shocking. My grandmother has the same attitude. Things my grandfather said at times were often shocking. They grew up so different and that was not something people did back then. There were race lines when my grandparents grew up. Yes, it's wrong, but does not shock me. The younger mother complaining about her daughter with a "black man" is more shocking.

i agree I really think its a generation thing. My gma at one time had the same attitude but shes not going to win finally she stopped pushing it. My gpa never did stop.. they had black friends and treated them great but didn't see this as a racist. My gpa had I issue with mexicans to they both did. In our town it was more likely for a grand child or child to hook up with one of mexican race then a black person.

It was always very interresting to her my gpa rant because he himself is 1/2 indian 1/2 white. His mother was indian but the family was in Germany at one point and snuck across the boarder most of the documention was lost and his mother died when he was a child so much of the history was lost with her.

Archived