IGNORED

Odd Homemaker By Choice Post

Beeks

She did a post on 4 things her daughter taught her:

homemakerbychoice.net/2012/02/4-things-my-daughter-has-taught-me.html

Here's the main text:

Patience – I’m sorry when I get frustrated with you, and I know that you don’t know better. Your only way to communicate to mommy, and daddy is to cry. I can’t wait until you are able to communicate with words, but I need to learn to also not rush things. Enjoy the moments that I have with you right now.

My Sinfulness – I have realized what we look like to Christ. We cry, fuss, and complain because we don’t get our way. It is sin! We want things immediately.

Christ dying for us – I have better understanding of the incredible sacrifice Christ made in giving up his only Son. It pains me to even think about losing you.

Idolatry- I want to protect you, and be there for you always. You will always be my little girl, but I can’t base my whole life around you, nor can I live my life through you. You are a gift from the Lord, and I am thankful for you.

Is it just me or do numbers 1 and 2 sort of contradict each other? Does she need to be more patient with the crying or is the crying just a sign that her newborn is a sinful, sinful creature? Also, WTF to number 4? Was she making an idol out of her baby by loving it too much? Strange, just strange.

Beeks you sure can mine for the gold!

This one sounds like she took parenting lessons from Thatwife. And unfortunately it also sounds like she attempting to justify something.

Well, #3 indicates she's better than the shoebox mom or whoever said they knew which kid they would sacrifice first (or something like that).

#2 is like, ugh, re-read your own #1!

So in terms of fundie badness I'd have to give it a rating of middling.

I think with number one she's saying "I need to be more patient because you're a baby/toddler and not mature enough to communicate any more effectively, but I'm not very good at it that patience thing yet."

With number two she's saying "I might have thought before I had you that I was soooo mature because I'm finally an adult blah blah blah, but hey, as impatient I am with you, guess what, every time I stamp my foot in impatience I am showing I'm no more mature than a toddler either, but I'm not a toddler, so that's unacceptable."

It does look sort of contradictory at first glance, but I see what she's getting at. Really it's all one point, rather than two.

I think with number one she's saying "I need to be more patient because you're a baby/toddler and not mature enough to communicate any more effectively, but I'm not very good at it that patience thing yet."

With number two she's saying "I might have thought before I had you that I was soooo mature because I'm finally an adult blah blah blah, but hey, as impatient I am with you, guess what, every time I stamp my foot in impatience I am showing I'm no more mature than a toddler either, but I'm not a toddler, so that's unacceptable."

It does look sort of contradictory at first glance, but I see what she's getting at. Really it's all one point, rather than two.

Hmmm, I disagree with your take on number 2. She says we cry and fuss because we don't get out way and that that is "sin." To me that sounds like her daughter's crying and fussing is an example of sin. She said that having the kid showed her what she looks like to Jesus - and if she looks fussy and whiny and sinful to Jesus I'm assuming that that's how her daughter looks to her.

ETA: Also, I've heard a lot of Christians give some version of number 3 and I really don't understand it. The most offensive version of it I've heard is said to parents who have lost children - "oh God understands your pain because he lost his child too!" Huh? Pretty sure Jesus died and WENT TO HEAVEN to hang out with God. God didn't "lose" his kid to death, right?

ETA: Also, I've heard a lot of Christians give some version of number 3 and I really don't understand it. The most offensive version of it I've heard is said to parents who have lost children - "oh God understands your pain because he lost his child too!" Huh? Pretty sure Jesus died and WENT TO HEAVEN to hang out with God. God didn't "lose" his kid to death, right?

I've heard it countered with the 'Jesus went to hell for 3 days" thing (which I'm not sure where fits doctrinally) but that still ands me in the "yes, but you think God is all-knowing about the future...so he knew it was 3 days of hell followed by eternity in heaven. with absolute certainty" still doesn't fit.

I think the whole post sounds like someone who is at the "so frustrated" point w/ a crying child--I've been there. I've set my crying kid downsomeplace I knew she'd be safe and walked out the back door and took a slow around the house because I needed a moment in order nott o hit/shake something. But instead of really admitting that she is at her wits end, she has to relate it spiritual things. ANd I"m not seeing how that does her much good.

Christ dying for us – I have better understanding of the incredible sacrifice Christ made in giving up his only Son. It pains me to even think about losing you.

I thought is was God that gave up his only son, not Christ. :lol:

I thought is was God that gave up his only son, not Christ. :lol:

Yeah, that. If Christ is the one who died, he isn't the one who lost his son.

I agree that she just sounds really overwhelmed with baby care. She's probably sleep-deprived and not expressing herself well. I wish these fundie moms didn't insist on seeing sin everywhere, especially in their young children.

Archived