IGNORED

Who are the Vanderhoffs?

SweetTexasCrude

I'm really curious about the 21-kid Vanderhoff family that was on this week's 19KAC. Does anyone know anything about them? Google tells me the dad (Hudson) is a lawyer with a JD from Rutgers (a real school!) but their older kids are doing CollegeMinus. Not much beyond that...

Just know what I read online. What is odd to me is that this educated man would move to Arkansas and be JimBob's friend. What in the world would they have in common...religion...and kids, I guess.

I always thought he was Jim Bobs lawyer. At first I kinda freeked that he went to Rutgers, and I thought I might have been in law school with him, but he's a lot younger than me. I know they do speaking tours through So. Jersey. I wonder if thats where they are originally from.

Just know what I read online. What is odd to me is that this educated man would move to Arkansas and be JimBob's friend. What in the world would they have in common...religion...and kids, I guess.

It is probably religion and the large family. Maybe Hudson went through a religious conversion or something. Some educated people do end up becoming fundie idiots who end up being friends with a wackadoos. The Vanderhoffs are probably more in tune with the real world than the Duggars are.

It is probably religion and the large family. Maybe Hudson went through a religious conversion or something. Some educated people do end up becoming fundie idiots who end up being friends with a wackadoos. The Vanderhoffs are probably more in tune with the real world than the Duggars are.

Well, maybe he's going to be a law professor at the University of Arkansas Law? It's so cheap to live down here (compared to Jersey? is that where they're from?). But maybe he's doing adoption law or something. He was trying for a "job" so it's not like he is just hanging out his shingle.

That's surprising, I'm in South Jersey, been here my whole life, and I even attended Rutgers but I've never heard of them. I even read newspapers! Maybe they are famous, but if so, it isn't through any venue I've ever seen.

• 10 months later...

Before Hudson Vanderhoff went to Rutgers, he went to Oak Brook school of law. I think he had to go to Rutgers to get the properly accepted credits.

As for being in touch with the real world, the kids aren't allowed toi be friends with anyone not of the same beliefs. Bad influences, you know.

His linked in profile gives his job as:

Assistant General Counsel - Corporate at Golden Living

VP of Compliance/Assoc GC - Healthcare at Golden Living

Assistant General Counsel - Corporate at Golden Innovations

According to the profile, his undergrad education was at the Moddy Bible Institute. I'm kind of surprised he was admitted to Rutgers.

He definitely went to Oak Brook too. I am not sure about putting links here but I thought I read something in another thread about only needing to break ones to blogs?

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/210551

It's been a while but IIRC, it was something about only being able to take the California Bar after Oak Brook so he needed to go to Rutger's for the right credits. I am not surprised he got in as he is very smart.

Adherence to a religious code, based on the basest of humanity (feelings, emotions) can cancel out or obliterate all effects of a wholesome, well-rounded secular education. Think of the freaking-outness of our favorite fundies: for those that cling to it, it overshadows all common sense gained from knowledge. I would guess, however, that such people possess a great lack of wisdom that they should have otherwise gained, it being each individual's responsibility to do so, which made it so easy for them to allow hyper-emotionalism of religiosity to take over their lives at the expense of their fine education.

I don't see why people are surprised this seemingly educated man went fundie. Aren't many of the modern fundies college educated and coming from mainstream families? People who go over the cliff like that had some type of dramatic event which radicalized them. That's no different from the radicalization of Muslims in other countries. Religion ceased to be a solace and became a fanatical way of life. Anyway, it appears the guy had some fundie roots planted already with his earlier education. I always mused that many of these new fundies lacked critical thinking skills as children, even as hey excelled academically and at more vulnerable to such religious radicalization.

Archived