IGNORED

Bates Special/Bates New Blog Post MERGED

GeoBQn

Weird that two of the Bates kids have the same names as Duggar kids; I didn't know that. And Josie Bates is obviously old enough that the Duggars knew of her when they named their 19th Josie. I would have thought the Duggar parents' egos were a little too big to name their baby after one of their competitors' kids.

I think the Bateses have paid them back for the name-jacking by calling their last 2 kids Judson and Jeb, and their miscarriages Jewel and Jubilee. Watch out Duggars, your Very Dear Friends are stealing your schtick!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is Jeb Bush, maybe they named the baby after him :-). Jackson Bates is also older than Jackson Duggar, and the Jubilee Bates miscarriage was before the Jubilee Duggar extravaganza. Perhaps it's true that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Michaela is more conservative than her sisters and wears what she likes, she's an adult with her own opinions.

I'm guessing here, but I would be very surprised if TLC didn't give the baby the outfit and 'suggest' he wear it in the pictures. They call the baby Colton, not Jeb.

Hypocritical maybe but if they need to pay the bills - TLC special seems like an easy way to get grocery money from someone other than their child. Branding the kid - maybe it's like when a relative brings over a baby outfit. Put them in it once - take a picture to prove it and then claim it got barfed on and the stain won't come out.

Then again I am thinking how much different is forcing your children to be on a reality show or taking money from your kid to buy food.

Hypocritical maybe but if they need to pay the bills - TLC special seems like an easy way to get grocery money from someone other than their child. Branding the kid - maybe it's like when a relative brings over a baby outfit. Put them in it once - take a picture to prove it and then claim it got barfed on and the stain won't come out.

Then again I am thinking how much different is forcing your children to be on a reality show or taking money from your kid to buy food.

Thats the part that really pizzes me off, these kids have no choice but to be sold to the public.

Either way they are depending on their children to support them. Makes them crappy people.

There is Jeb Bush, maybe they named the baby after him :-). Jackson Bates is also older than Jackson Duggar, and the Jubilee Bates miscarriage was before the Jubilee Duggar extravaganza. Perhaps it's true that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Since Jackson is a very trendy name right now, I didn't think much of the Bates/Duggar duplication. But two Josies? There aren't a lot of little kids named Josie. Plus it's a nickname for Josephine, which apparently neither family used for their daughter. Both families using Jubilee for a miscarriage is just too weird.

Actually, this isn't true. I don't really blame you because evolution has become a four-letter word and most students only get a brief summary, but this is a shallow understanding of the concept. One generation isn't really useful at all. Statistically, most of them will end with up only a few kids or none at all. Having so many kids around will make most of them want to have fewer. Even those that want to have as many kids as possible will likely have reduced fertility due to their impoverished childhoods. Evolution isn't just about quantity; it's also about quality. Having a sustainable rate of 2.5 kids for many generations can be just as successful as having a whole bunch but investing little into them. Their lifestyle is absolutely not sustainable long-term.

I realize that. I actually did learn about evolution and understand it quite well for somebody who is not a scientist. I realize that they aren't necessarily more successful at passing on their genes than any other couple. It was more an off-hand tongue-in-cheek comment given their disdain for evolution and the fact that it kind of terrifies me that people like this have so many children who they are brainwashing to grow up and vote to legislate their fringe beliefs.

I wonder - could Dad get another job - to be worth the extra time away from the family and other job?

If you keep having kids then you either have to keep making more money or work towards becoming as self sufficient as possible to keep costs down. I have friends who grow almost all their own food, store water, burn wood for heat etc in order to keep costs down with a growing family on one income.

They couldn't have been planning on TLC coming along back when they had a few kids so what was their plan? Did they actually plan to live off their adult-child children - maybe this is why they don't get married - girls are free labor and boys are free paychecks.

I realize that. I actually did learn about evolution and understand it quite well for somebody who is not a scientist. I realize that they aren't necessarily more successful at passing on their genes than any other couple. It was more an off-hand tongue-in-cheek comment given their disdain for evolution and the fact that it kind of terrifies me that people like this have so many children who they are brainwashing to grow up and vote to legislate their fringe beliefs.

Hey, this is how Idiocracy started. And we all know that what happens in crappy Luke Wilson movies is totally reflective of real-life events, amirite? :D

The TLC gear on the infant is disgusting. I hate advertising on clothing for adults or children and won't buy it for myself. When the DD was an infant I even took off the Oshkosh tags on her overalls. I've got a real thing about children (or adults) being walking billboards. My theory is if you want me to advertise your brand, pay me...oh thats what TLC did with the Bates. Nevermind :lol:

I'm the same way. Years ago when I saw an Old Navy logo for the first time I asked the person when they were in the Navy. :oops: I had no clue it was a brand.

All money from TLC will be used for fertility treatments. Anyone who thinks they'll use it to feed their starving horses or stop mooching off their kids or get health insurance is being naive. They've already shown what their priorities are. They are doing this to afford more progesterone shots to have more babies.

Since Jackson is a very trendy name right now, I didn't think much of the Bates/Duggar duplication. But two Josies? There aren't a lot of little kids named Josie. Plus it's a nickname for Josephine, which apparently neither family used for their daughter. Both families using Jubilee for a miscarriage is just too weird.

If they named him after Jeb Bush, they might not have known JEB are his initials. It stands for John Ellis Bush.

I didn't realize Jackson was a newly popular boys name six years ago when I decided to name our golden retriever Jackson. We always named our dogs but ended up calling most of them Jack. I read dogs respond better if their names have two syllables so we used Jackson.

I never heard the name Josie until the Duggar baby. It's cute but sounds more like a boy than a girl IMO like short for Joseph.

Jackson Bates is also older than Jackson Duggar, and the Jubilee Bates miscarriage was before the Jubilee Duggar extravaganza. Perhaps it's true that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The Bates seriously "named" a miscarried baby "Jubilee"? And then the Duggars named theirs the same thing? After naming their most recent surviving baby after one of the Bates girls?? And after already having named one of their boys after an older Bates boy??? I'm not big on criticizing the Duggars, but that sounds to me like evidence of some *really* serious psych issues. If Michelle is this obsessed with Ma Bates nipping at her heels in the baby count, I shudder to think what will happen if Ma Bates pops out number 20 while Michelle is still stuck with a mere 19 children.

If they named him after Jeb Bush, they might not have known JEB are his initials. It stands for John Ellis Bush.

I didn't realize Jackson was a newly popular boys name six years ago when I decided to name our golden retriever Jackson. We always named our dogs but ended up calling most of them Jack. I read dogs respond better if their names have two syllables so we used Jackson.

I never heard the name Josie until the Duggar baby. It's cute but sounds more like a boy than a girl IMO like short for Joseph.

Josie is short for Josephine, and it is somewhat old-fashioned so that might be why you're not familiar with it. I think it was somewhat popular in the 50s and 60s, although then it would have usually been a nickname and a not a formal name. It is weird that they have a Joseph and then named another kids a nickname for Josephine, but they obviously don't care about their children having individuality.

The Bateses seem to pick a weird combination of redneck names, nicknames, trendy spelling of popular names, and completely made up names that seem to be a mix of random letters. And seriously, Judson, Jackson, and Lawson? Really? They're not even constricted to one letter and they still can't come up with anything original.

Michaela is more conservative than her sisters and wears what she likes, she's an adult with her own opinions.

Yes, she is an adult, and yes she may have her own opinions, but I have never met any one who wears dowdy clothes out of sheer love of them! People wear them to cover up, and she doesn't need to. There are millions of cute, trendy, modest clothes out there. I think that if she tried it, she might like it.

BTW, Baylee, I know that you like to act like Michaela's BFF, but really it is getting old.

This is a snark board, I can snark on someones frumper if I want! You can snark on my jeans and t-shirt if you'd like, but I warn you they actually fit!

Yes, she is an adult, and yes she may have her own opinions, but I have never met any one who wears dowdy clothes out of sheer love of them! People wear them to cover up, and she doesn't need to. There are millions of cute, trendy, modest clothes out there. I think that if she tried it, she might like it.

BTW, Baylee, I know that you like to act like Michaela's BFF, but really it is getting old.

This is a snark board, I can snark on someones frumper if I want! You can snark on my jeans and t-shirt if you'd like, but I warn you they actually fit!

Hi, glad to meet you and I'm ladypuglover and love to wear frumpers! I am often teased by friends and family for dressing more fundy than the fundies we snark on. Now your statement is invalid and can never say you never met someone who enjoyed dressing dowdy. :snooty:

Hi, glad to meet you and I'm ladypuglover and love to wear frumpers! I am often teased by friends and family for dressing more fundy than the fundies we snark on. Now your statement is invalid and can never say you never met someone who enjoyed dressing dowdy. :snooty:

Then I stand corrected. Dammit, I hate being wrong! Can I change my statement to "The majority of people who dress frumpy....."? I think that works better. If Michaela truly enjoys it, then fine and dandy, but I'd like to give her a makeover and let her see how beautiful she is (sort of a fundie version of "What Not to Wear"), then after that she can wear whatever she wants, frumpers or my kick ass styling. :dance:

I love frumpers too. And my sister, nieces, and daughter never hesitate to tell me I have no style. I don't care.

Josie is short for Josephine, and it is somewhat old-fashioned so that might be why you're not familiar with it. I think it was somewhat popular in the 50s and 60s, although then it would have usually been a nickname and a not a formal name. It is weird that they have a Joseph and then named another kids a nickname for Josephine, but they obviously don't care about their children having individuality.

The Bateses seem to pick a weird combination of redneck names, nicknames, trendy spelling of popular names, and completely made up names that seem to be a mix of random letters. And seriously, Judson, Jackson, and Lawson? Really? They're not even constricted to one letter and they still can't come up with anything original.

Yes, so many of their names are short versions/nicknames - Katie, Ellie, Josie, Trace, Zach, Tori... I wish they would give their children the full name like Katherine or Victoria so they could be formal sometimes if they wish - plus those names are so pretty - but hey, that's just me...

I agree the Bates have chosen some interesting combinations of names, but better than going with 19 with the same letter.

I didn't know about Josie and Josephine. I was born in the late '50s and never met a Josephine. lol I asked my hubby if Josie was a boy or girl. He said of course it's a man's name. Hadn't I heard of the TV show "The Outlaw Josie Wales"? lol I guess it's both genders. I'm glad I didn't have to come up with 19 names. I probably would have named them all after precious gems and my hubby would have named them after cars.

Archived