IGNORED

Bates Special/Bates New Blog Post MERGED

GeoBQn

Bateses. I'm hoping one day it will catch ;)

Thank you. BATESES. BATESES, for the love of cheese! ;) Calling them "the Bates" is like calling my son and me "The Johnson".

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. BATESES. BATESES, for the love of cheese! ;) Calling them "the Bates" is like calling my son and me "The Johnson".

Could you give me a quick grammar lesson? It's Gil and Kelly Bates, the Bates' children, the Bates Family, and the Bateses? Their name and what to say when has always confused me. Thanks!

I'm guessing they were made a financial offer that was too good to pass up. The tree bidness not being all that great in Knoxville I'm sure they need the $$$$.

Still do we KNOW that the Duggars are DONE? Will the Bates replace them or "supplement" them like the other big families in the past....?

At least daddy Bates does not insist on being called Master Bates.....

I have a good friend whose last name is Bates. In the province where he lives your licence number is referred to as your master number and it is followed by your last name and birthdate (I think).

His licence reads MASTER BATES. It is always a source of amusement- even if it is misspelled.

Guest Anonymous

Could you give me a quick grammar lesson? It's Gil and Kelly Bates, the Bates' children, the Bates Family, and the Bateses? Their name and what to say when has always confused me. Thanks!

Gil and Kelly Johnson

The Johnsons' children (plural possessive: the children belonging to both the adults with the name Johnson)

The Johnson Family (singular: one family)

The Johnsons (plural)

Gil and Kelly Bates

The Bates's children

The Bates Family

The Bateses

An exception to the rule is sometimes used when there is already a 'sus' sound at the end of a proper name, in order to avoid an awkward "susus" word ending.

So, in Wales:

Gil and Kelly Davies

The Davies' Children

The Davies Family

The Davies

I don't like the above, but have heard it used lots locally and it is widely accepted as correct.

Also, Sons of God are exempt from common usage: In Jesus name. Amen.

Guest Anonymous

Why do I get this sick feeling we may see more shows or specials on fundies? I can see Gothard and other fundie guru's using tv as a way to increase membership even if it does make the stars of the show appear more worldly than they would like. Think about it, TLC rarely, if ever, paints the Duggars in a negative light, and how many Duggar fans actually bother to do any research on them?

I'm guessing they were made a financial offer that was too good to pass up. The tree bidness not being all that great in Knoxville I'm sure they need the $$$$.

Still do we KNOW that the Duggars are DONE? Will the Bates replace them or "supplement" them like the other big families in the past....?

At this point we don't know if the Duggars are done. I think there is a chance the Duggars will get one more season.

I wonder - could Dad get another job - to be worth the extra time away from the family and other job?

If you keep having kids then you either have to keep making more money or work towards becoming as self sufficient as possible to keep costs down. I have friends who grow almost all their own food, store water, burn wood for heat etc in order to keep costs down with a growing family on one income.

They couldn't have been planning on TLC coming along back when they had a few kids so what was their plan? Did they actually plan to live off their adult-child children - maybe this is why they don't get married - girls are free labor and boys are free paychecks.

Dad get a job? And exert effort?!

Yeah, I think that's probably why they aren't marrying their kids off. The boys bring in paychecks. Basically M&B and M&JB have set up their own kingdoms.

Heh. It would be kind of funny if they actually thought "Jeb" was "Jeb" Bush's first name and did name their child after him.

:oops: I thought his name was Jeb. I didn't realize it's his initials. It's like ATM Machine or PIN Number. Automatic Teller Machine Machine and Personal Identification Number Number. JEB Bush. John Ellis Bush Bush. Somehow it's appropriate for that family.

I prefer more traditional names, so I think Katherine is definitely better than Katie, Victoria than Tori, as given names. The justification I use is that when your daughter grows up, it sounds a lot more professional/serious to be Dr. Katherine Bates or Judge Victoria Bates formally, and using just the nickname is depriving them of that option.

As for the Bates girls, it doesn't matter one way or the other- these girls aren't going to be, or even try to be professional women, so why not give them cutesy little nicknames. The Duggars might as well have gone ahead and called Jessa 'Jessa Blessa'.

Guest Anonymous
There are a few threads addressing this already, two of which are still on the first page.

And one of them seems to have disappeared. Unless it's been merged or i've just lost my mind. There was some contention building with BayLee or something, and then the thread went bye bye.

wonder why they moved it up 2 weeks.. I thought it was suppose to air after the finale? Instead its tomorrow?

MEALTICKET1.jpg

I'm thinking that they're hoping to snag the Duggar's audience.

Are these some of the Bates on this ATI trip?

teamperu12.blogspot.com/

Yep, there's at least 3 Bates girls there. But of course not Michaella - she's locked in the laundry room.

:clap:

Oops, my bad, I mistakenly thought I was told this blog was about snarking. Do you actually think the Bates family lived in a magic bubble until they appeared on 19 kids and counting? Do you think no one knows them? And what's it to you if someone does? Annoying you is not my lifelong dream, but you are making the idea more attractive.

The pic of baby Bates in TLC gear reminds me of those cars covered in advertising. They have taken pimping out their kids to a new level. Can a TLC tatoo be far behind?

I prefer more traditional names, so I think Katherine is definitely better than Katie, Victoria than Tori, as given names. The justification I use is that when your daughter grows up, it sounds a lot more professional/serious to be Dr. Katherine Bates or Judge Victoria Bates formally, and using just the nickname is depriving them of that option.

As for the Bates girls, it doesn't matter one way or the other- these girls aren't going to be, or even try to be professional women, so why not give them cutesy little nicknames. The Duggars might as well have gone ahead and called Jessa 'Jessa Blessa'.

I agree about formal names, and am glad my husband's parents kept the cutesy nickname as his middle name and gave him a professional first name. Too bad my parents went nicknames for both first and middle, then legally changed it when I was a couple years old but no improvement whatsoever, and I had to change it when I was 18. Don't ask, I refuse to ever tell. When I've confided in a few friends, their reactions were "WTF?" And most of my friends have no idea I was given a different name at birth. So I am rabid about people giving kids proper names. It's sad that names like "Princess" have cracked the top 1000 names list. These names get kids teased. Good luck getting a professional job if you're named Sweetpea, Sweetheart, Chica, Moon Unit, Adolf Hitler (look that one up, some white supremacists named their kids after well-known Nazis, misspelled their daughter's name, actually used Aryan as a middle name, then lost custody to the state), etc..

I know there are worse things to name a kid than Katie and Tori, but one Katie I knew in high school had a hard time convincing people that Katie wasn't short for anything.

Really, give kids proper names if you want to go with a nicknamey name, and if one doesn't have a proper version, use it as a middle name and come up with something else. If you can't imagine a 60-year-old with the name being happy with it or using it, and can't imagine someone saying Judge [first name] Jones, then don't use it as a first name!!!

Jessa Blessa. Only marginally better than Jinger Binger.

/end rant

The pic of baby Bates in TLC gear reminds me of those cars covered in advertising. They have taken pimping out their kids to a new level. Can a TLC tatoo be far behind?

Without a doubt TLC provided those things free of charge. I'm disgusted that they'd participate in something like that. Sure, TV stations are about making money (except PBS, which I love), but there has to be limits. Buying a baby so blatantly is disgusting, and the Bateses should be ashamed that they're so willing to pimp out their kids. I think a lot of us have felt for a long time that they were aiming for their own show. If there's one thing the Duggars have shown, it's that having as many kids as you can, regardless of an inability to afford them, gets you attention, and in fact, if you CAN'T afford them, then that'll make the family a cause-celebre, only more like a cause-TV-station-e.

Without a doubt TLC provided those things free of charge.

Thats a pretty naive statement. Its all about whoring for the ratings now. That and promotional consideration. Now the duggars got a house full of furniture and some hot rod appliances, and a cupboard full of Campbells soup. I wonder what else the bates are going to get out of the deal?

MEALTICKET1.jpg

I'm thinking that they're hoping to snag the Duggar's audience.

Gil's gonna have to rescind his video (sold on the IBLP website, natch) about how to support a family without a salary. Not like he was even doing THAT before TLC came along. Without the Duggars, these people would up shit creek without a plunger. Can you imagine now 19 kids in that old POS house (and starving horses that no one would know about since no one would know about them)?

Didn't Kelly used to just go on the internet at the library (surprised she even admitted she used one of those ebil gubmint institutions in the first place)? How times have changed, thanks to the Duggars.

So Gil, what's it like with a salary dude? :mrgreen:

Yep, there's at least 3 Bates girls there. But of course not Michaella - she's locked in the laundry room.

If they are having to borrow money from Lawson, how the heck are they affording to send some of their kids on this expensive Gothard trip? Gothard stuff is not cheap. Of course, if they were any sort of people, they would have put supporting their family before paying the yearly ATI fees.

Archived