IGNORED

Britain OKs television ads for abortion clinics

doggie

can you imagine this in the us?

LONDON (AP) - Britain's broadcast advertising body has given the go-ahead for private abortion clinics to advertise their services on television, angering those who say that the move desensitizes the public to the practice.

The Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice said late Friday there was no justification for barring private clinics that offer post-pregnancy services, including abortions, from advertising on television. Nonprofit post-pregnancy services are already allowed to advertise on television, and their for-profit counterparts are allowed to advertise in all other media.

The organization's spokesman, Matt Wilson, said that "there is not going to be some sort of free-for-all saying: 'Come to us to get an abortion.' They are not there to promote abortion, they have to promote an array of services."

Speaking to Britain's right-leaning Daily Mail, Conservative lawmaker Nadine Dories said the move would allow broadcasters to make a profit "through advertising revenue off the back of a service which ends life. It's appalling."

British law allows abortion up to the 24th week of pregnancy, so long as two doctors agree that the procedure would cause less harm to a woman's physical or mental health than carrying the fetus to term. There is no time limit in cases which pose a serious risk to the life of the mother.

Guest Anonymous

I am amused by how the US press describe Dorries as a "Conservative lawmaker" as though that is a valid professional term. She is just an MP who likes to propose Bills to control other peoples' sexual activity and reproductive choices.

Last year she proposed something to do with stopping our abortion providers from providing counselling services, because of their 'vested financial interest' in promoting abortion, but she wanted anti-abortion groups still to be allowed to offer their own 'independent' counselling services. Our moronic PM supported her for a while.

Her latest attempt at the crazy was a Bill to mandate schools to teach the 'benefits of abstinence' via extra sex ed. classes to 13-16 yr old school girls (but not boys). Because it is up to girls to 'just say no', apparently.

There is some sanity in the world after all. This is refreshing after all of the news from the US to the opposite ends.

Her latest attempt at the crazy was a Bill to mandate schools to teach the 'benefits of abstinence' via extra sex ed. classes to 13-16 yr old school girls (but not boys). Because it is up to girls to 'just say no', apparently.

And she tried to back it up with some crap about how it lower rape because girls would know to 'say no'. It's so offensive that I don't know where to begin.

Whoot! Good for Britain! I hope that this will influence America and other countries to do the same thing.

And she tried to back it up with some crap about how it lower rape because girls would know to 'say no'. It's so offensive that I don't know where to begin.

but it is still far better then our nutjobs. I mean we have the duggers and it just goes downhill from there.

Things like this make me pleased I'm British (the ads, not the nutter Nadie Dories and fellow Daily Mailers).

Oh you should be. Overall its a very progressive secular government.

I don't love Will and Kate but I'd live there for sure. Hubby won't be in it though. I am always sad to hear the economy isn't going well.

Things like this make me pleased I'm British (the ads, not the nutter Nadie Dories and fellow Daily Mailers).

5eBT6OSr1TI :lol:

Oh you should be. Overall its a very progressive secular government.

I don't love Will and Kate but I'd live there for sure. Hubby won't be in it though. I am always sad to hear the economy isn't going well.

Thanks. I am actully quite relieved I don't live in America from some of the stuff I read on here! And I do like being British, though I'm not that fond of the Royals. Don't think I'd want to get rid of them but they do annoy me a lot.

5eBT6OSr1TI :lol:

That is one of my favourite videos...might have to share it again on Facebook :mrgreen:

ETA: This is a great video too (don't know how to embed):

Ads like this would've really helped me when I had a pregnancy scare a few years ago. It was a pain in the ass trying to research abortion providers in Indiana, and even if you found a place that did them, it was difficult to find things like price, etc. on websites. So it would've been nice to see something saying, "Go to this website, call this number." I'm sure these ads will help a lot of people, and yeah, as long as it's a private company, I don't see why not.

We have adverts for Marie Stopes clinics and there was a huge amount of controversy. Personally, I thought they were great. They showed pictures of anxious looking women and then it would say something like, "Kate is late," and then would show the information of who to call and where to go if you are worried that you are pregnant.

Archived