IGNORED

The Staddons, The Creation Museum & "Scientific Proof"

0 kids n not countin

Yup! Pantheist, panentheist or just a fucking whackjob! (I believe those are the terms used for your questions)!

However, I am sorry, you cannot be god because I am. We could share. I am not bitter or a megalomaniac. Sharing is caring after all!

While I am Agnostic, I lean towards Pagan beliefs, so I believe that it is possible to have more than one God. That means we can both be our own Gods and we don't have to share!

Damn time differences! Why do I always miss the discussions with interesting people?

finleeport, are you a creationist? Are there any other creationists reading this? If so, could you please answer a question (I don't know many YECs/ people who believe that Noah's flood was an actual global event)?

It seems to me that creationism cannot be a science, since it offers only post-hoc rationalisations of observed phenomena. Science (the kind that drives research, and makes discoveries about the natural world) is essentially predictive in nature - you can formulate hypotheses using models and make tests which confirm or overturn them.

Do you know of any research that is undertaken using a creationist model to make predictions, rather than explanations?

Damn time differences! Why do I always miss the discussions with interesting people?

finleeport, are you a creationist? Are there any other creationists reading this? If so, could you please answer a question (I don't know many YECs/ people who believe that Noah's flood was an actual global event)?

It seems to me that creationism cannot be a science, since it offers only post-hoc rationalisations of observed phenomena. Science (the kind that drives research, and makes discoveries about the natural world) is essentially predictive in nature - you can formulate hypotheses using models and make tests which confirm or overturn them.

Do you know of any research that is undertaken using a creationist model to make predictions, rather than explanations?

Another with the timezone issue!

My friend is an evolutionary biologist. She decided to visit the creation museum, because you should "know your enemies"

She said they had a number of blatant misrepresentations. The one she is discussed was a graph she interacted with frequently with in her work. They claimed it was a graph of something entirely different (different subject altogether), so it could be used as 'proof' against evolutionists...

There is none. You get idiots like Ken Hamm yapping about a global flood and putting a bunch of sand and water into a bucket and seeing how it settles.

Not only is there absolutely no empirical evidence for creation, a flood, or that the world is only 6000 years old, everything points to (so far) abiogenesis and evolution. If you want a good resource you should check out TalkOrigins.

People who believe in creationism are pretty much saying that they think the Flintstones is a documentary.

I once infuriated my mother by telling her I could disprove creationism with a fish tank, fresh water, salt water and some fish. "Of course," I said, "the fish are gonna have to die to prove this to you." The point is that freshwater fish can't live in salt water and vice-versa. A universal flood would have killed all the fishes...but that's not something the writers of Genesis would have known.

After that incident, my father asked me not to discuss religion around my mother ever again.

I recently had my aunt and her new boyfriend visit me. I learned from him that recently "they did research" that proves that the grand canyon could have been produced by 11 days of erosion. :lol:

Wait, what? Have they ever BEEN to the Grand Canyon? *headdesk* The Canyon was actually cut in a geological blink of time (starting 5 million years ago, through rock that was laid down 290 million to 1.2 billion years ago), but those are way, way, way, WAY longer than oh, six or seven thousand years.

If they want to see something that was REALLY excavated in a REAL blink of time, about two hours away from the Canyon's South Rim is Meteor Crater (east of Flagstaff on I-40). That's a big-ass hole in the ground that was dug out in a few seconds by a meteor that hit earth about 50,000 years ago. It's also as awe-inspiring as the Canyon in its own way.

Hell no I'm not, I go by evolution, I just love reading mythology a lot, every mythology; from Pagan to Abrahamic.

I am by no means a Fundie, I believe in God but I love myths, legends and fairy tales. And fundies would think of me as a 'blasphemer' because I believe in nature spirits.

if the world is only 6000 years old how could anyone have saw the stars that are 6000 light years away or farther?

God created the super long rays of light when He created the earth. Obviously. :roll:

Reading about how they think the Grand Canyon was formed makes me wonder how they think the big mountain chains like the Alps were formed. Let me guess, God did it?

I can't even go in to how Noah managed to get 5 billion + species on to a boat and who cleaned up the poop.

No, no, no. There were not billions of species, there were only a few hundred; then each "kind" taken on to the ark developed into the billions of species we see today. The dog "kind" developed into everything from a grey wolf to a chihuahua in about 4000 years, and we know because of the totally legitimate science of "baraminology". This is, of course, completely different from the way that the godless heathens insist that humans evolved from a primate ancestor-that couldn't happen even if the world were millions of years old. We can't have evolved from monkeys because there are still monkeys!

Two of each animal could have reproduced enough to resurrect an entire species because it was closer to The Fall at that time. The further we get from the fall, the more mutations have developed in DNA. That's how two single humans could manage to populate the entire world in the first place. Also, the poop is magic.

The creation museum from an atheist perspective.

And the flood:

0uZCC_bdhoo

No, no, no. There were not billions of species, there were only a few hundred; then each "kind" taken on to the ark developed into the billions of species we see today. The dog "kind" developed into everything from a grey wolf to a chihuahua in about 4000 years, and we know because of the totally legitimate science of "baraminology". This is, of course, completely different from the way that the godless heathens insist that humans evolved from a primate ancestor-that couldn't happen even if the world were millions of years old. We can't have evolved from monkeys because there are still monkeys!

Two of each animal could have reproduced enough to resurrect an entire species because it was closer to The Fall at that time. The further we get from the fall, the more mutations have developed in DNA. That's how two single humans could manage to populate the entire world in the first place. Also, the poop is magic.

The creation museum from an atheist perspective.

And the flood:

0uZCC_bdhoo

Holy shit! They have argued themselves so circular they've disappeared up their own fundament! I love PZ Myers so much. :D

I also love this one:

ln64DYflGT4

Archived