IGNORED

The Staddons, The Creation Museum & "Scientific Proof"

0 kids n not countin

The Creation Museum

posted by Donald on 01/4/12

Donald, Michael, Esther, James, Daniel, Jonathan, Robert & Kendalyn, and I had a lot of fun at the creation museum, learning about scientific proof that God created the world in six days, and that there was a worldwide flood. It was the first time most of us had been there. Their presentation of creation and the gospel message was clear and convincing. The climax for me was being at the planetarium. The projection on the domed ceiling was so 3-D, that it made some of us dizzy. Sad smile

What an amazing Creator God is!

Gad, I just find this so unbelievable that people can actually take this literally, though by now I should be used to fundies thinking in this way. What is the "scientific" proof, can someone please explain? I mentioned before under another topic that I'm agnostic, and assume I probably still will be even after learning about this

scientific" proof. :roll:

All I can think sometimes is WTF?

There is none. You get idiots like Ken Hamm yapping about a global flood and putting a bunch of sand and water into a bucket and seeing how it settles.

Not only is there absolutely no empirical evidence for creation, a flood, or that the world is only 6000 years old, everything points to (so far) abiogenesis and evolution. If you want a good resource you should check out TalkOrigins.

People who believe in creationism are pretty much saying that they think the Flintstones is a documentary.

The climax for me was being at the planetarium. The projection on the domed ceiling was so 3-D, that it made some of us dizzy

You mean a projection of stars that are more than 6000 light years away??

Gad, I just find this so unbelievable that people can actually take this literally, though by now I should be used to fundies thinking in this way. What is the "scientific" proof, can someone please explain? I mentioned before under another topic that I'm agnostic, and assume I probably still will be even after learning about this

scientific" proof. :roll:

All I can think sometimes is WTF?

This.

It is fun to read "Answers in Genesis" though, watching them tie themselves in knots defending their positions

The grand canyon plays a big role in their scientific proof. It could totally have been created in a flood, doncha know? Despite the fact that the layering looks nothing like what would happen in a catastrophic flood, they just pretend the evidence means the exact opposite of what it actually means. And the mental gymnastics that they have to go through to prove noah's ark is the literal truth are nothing short of staggering.

I think there is some proof of a Flood, but not strictly following the Genesis model. And Creationism? (spits).

I think there is some proof of a Flood, but not strictly following the Genesis model. And Creationism? (spits).

Yeah, there is evidence of floods all over the place (because there are floods all over the place). There isn't evidence for one global flood where everything was underwater up to the tippy top of Mt Everest.

They are intellectually dishonest and it makes me sick that they can actually believe this shit. I said this in another post but I nearly fell off of my chair when Jim Bob yapped on about scientists using circular reasoning to explain evolution.

The grand canyon plays a big role in their scientific proof. It could totally have been created in a flood, doncha know? Despite the fact that the layering looks nothing like what would happen in a catastrophic flood, they just pretend the evidence means the exact opposite of what it actually means. And the mental gymnastics that they have to go through to prove noah's ark is the literal truth are nothing short of staggering.

I recently had my aunt and her new boyfriend visit me. I learned from him that recently "they did research" that proves that the grand canyon could have been produced by 11 days of erosion. :lol:

Mostly every ancient religion and mythology has a Flood story. You think its a coincidence?

Yeah, there is evidence of floods all over the place (because there are floods all over the place). There isn't evidence for one global flood where everything was underwater up to the tippy top of Mt Everest.

They are intellectually dishonest and it makes me sick that they can actually believe this shit. I said this in another post but I nearly fell off of my chair when Jim Bob yapped on about scientists using circular reasoning to explain evolution.

There is evidence of a massive flood in (I think) eastern Europe, back when people though the rest of the world didn't exist. There is also evidence of other "world wide flood" stories that predate the time frame of Noah's supposed flood from ancient civilizations in the area.

Even back when I was Creationist, when I saw a tour of the Creation Museum I could not help being disappointed to realize that this place, which I blush to admit I actually donated money to as a teenager, had only propaganda on the walls. They did not even put as much science-y stuff on the walls as they have in one issue of Answers. It's pathetic and I am not sure how people can go through it and think they are actually looking at science.

Mostly every ancient religion and mythology has a Flood story. You think its a coincidence?

Given that floods are a common occurrence worldwide? It definitely could be. I mean, I've heard that nearly every culture has a Cinderella story. Does that mean that it really happened? I've heard that many widely spread cultures have a version of the story where a girl marries the man who stole the secret of her magical transformation or escape, but eventually left him and their children after finding out where he'd hidden the magic star cloak/sealskin/whatever. There probably is some worldwide truth in that story, but I doubt it's the part with the magic.

There are quite a few flood myths/. There is one that happened in Mediterranean Sea in 1300-1600BCE. The Thera eruption caused a tsunami and it is believed that this is the basis of a lot of ancient myths surrounding a worldwide flood (at least from that area of the world). If we were to look at the tsunami of 2004 and how many places and people were affected and then apply that to the ancient world, it is understandable why they would think it was a worldwide flood.

There is also evidence of a flood breaking through the Bosporus Straight about 5000BCE (evidence points to the melting of glaciers but even that doesn't matter because if it happened 7000 years ago that is far too old for creationists to accept).

I think my main issue with this is how the ancient Israelites (or pre-Israelites) defined or saw the 'world'. It may be that there was a 'worldwide' flood in that there was a flood in what they determined to be the only part of the world. Trade with China and other Eastern areas had not opened up yet, North America was still 1500 years away, Australia even more. If your whole world consisted of (what is now Iraq) to Africa to the southern part of Europe, it would totally make sense that one would assume it to be a world wide flood.

I can't even go in to how Noah managed to get 5 billion + species on to a boat and who cleaned up the poop.

So no, I don't think it is a coincidence, I think it is just a story written by people who were not aware of the world around them and just how big this world is. If you were an ancient people in Thailand and you experienced a tsunami the size of the one in 2004, you would probably think that the entire world was flooded and affected because YOUR entire world was!

The fact remains that there is zero evidence for a universal flood. None. And Hamm and Hovind and all of those other morons who push this scientifically and intellectually dishonest position stemming from their book of myths and pass it off as fact...well they can gtfo as far as I am concerned.

Two days ago I was looking at the photos one of my sister's friends had on his facebook page. He had asked her out a while ago but since she already had a boyfriend she said no. His page said he was home schooled. I came across a photo of what I can only assume was his home school group and guess where they were. At the Creation Museum. The caption under the photo said 180 Ministries. I think I remember that group being mentioned on here before :?:

The only thing I could think of was that I was glad she turned him down. She doesn't need to be dating someone that believes that garbage. If he believes what is at the creation museum he probably believes in the other things that fundies believe such as patriarchy etc. Of course he could not believe in that stuff at all but was just made to go by his parents. You can't really tell by looking at a picture.

Also the museum's website says they display the truth about antibiotic resistant bacteria. I would love to know how they explain that topic.

Thanks everyone for your responses & clarifications.

And this:

Quote:

The climax for me was being at the planetarium. The projection on the domed ceiling was so 3-D, that it made some of us dizzy

You mean a projection of stars that are more than 6000 light years away??

:clap:

WORD, how do the fundies not see how flawed their "scientific" reasoning is? :eusa-think:

Two days ago I was looking at the photos one of my sister's friends had on his facebook page. He had asked her out a while ago but since she already had a boyfriend she said no. His page said he was home schooled. I came across a photo of what I can only assume was his home school group and guess where they were. At the Creation Museum. The caption under the photo said 180 Ministries. I think I remember that group being mentioned on here before :?:

The only thing I could think of was that I was glad she turned him down. She doesn't need to be dating someone that believes that garbage. If he believes what is at the creation museum he probably believes in the other things that fundies believe such as patriarchy etc. Of course he could not believe in that stuff at all but was just made to go by his parents. You can't really tell by looking at a picture.

Also the museum's website says they display the truth about antibiotic resistant bacteria. I would love to know how they explain that topic.

Isn't 180 Ministries that ridiculous thing started by Ray Comfort where he compares abortion to the Shoah?

Yes. Most ancient societies lived on rivers and other waterways. In fact, the Mesopotamians thought their gods were cruel and capricious because the Tigris and Euphrates flooded at random, where the Egyptians thought there gods were kind and orderly, because the Nile flooded in a regular pattern (or perhaps I'm getting that backward, it's been about five years since I took world history).

People relied on waterways to survive. Waterways flood. People thought they were the only civilization in the world. Of course all ancient people had a flood story.

Yes. Most ancient societies lived on rivers and other waterways. In fact, the Mesopotamians thought their gods were cruel and capricious because the Tigris and Euphrates flooded at random, where the Egyptians thought there gods were kind and orderly, because the Nile flooded in a regular pattern (or perhaps I'm getting that backward, it's been about five years since I took world history).

People relied on waterways to survive. Waterways flood. People thought they were the only civilization in the world. Of course all ancient people had a flood story.

I don't get why this is a difficult concept for people. I really and truly don't.

My husband works in a mine in the northwestern part of Australia. They have been stuck there for over a week now not even being able to get from their housing site to their work site due to the flooding from a cyclone that hit the coast. It is pretty bad up there right now but any rationally thinking person would look at this and say 'Ok...if this is happening now, it surely happened a thousand, two thousand, 4 thousand years ago as well. Given that it has been happening every year since who knows when, it is completely understandable that the indigenous people would have stories of floods'.

Occam's razor and all that...

I remember hearing once that one of the reasons the Egyptians thought the gods were kind for flooding the Nile was that after the floods the fields were always way more fertile.

I remember hearing once that one of the reasons the Egyptians thought the gods were kind for flooding the Nile was that after the floods the fields were always way more fertile.

Well hey! If you can't explain something may as well just put god in there! :)

Well hey! If you can't explain something may as well just put god in there! :)

So, if I can't explain you I can just make you God? What if I can't explain myself? Can I start insisting I'm God?

It's sad that they actually think that crap that is made up is actually science. I bet they have no clue that everything they use is based on real science. but then gullibility and deep religion tend to run hand in hand.

It irks the crap out of me when people think that the Bible is a science book and that anything the Bible says is the truth, especially with how the world was created There's a reason why Creationism is not taught in science classes-it's because Creationism is faith based and NOT factual based. When the supreme courts turned down teaching it in science classes, Christian scientists came together and created the "Intelligent Design Theory"--same concept as Creationism but with a different name. Everything in science is a theory, but a theory is supported with years of evidence and facts, whereas Creationism/ID is not. For the Staddons to say there is "Scientific proof" that the world was created in 6 days is bull shit because the Bible does NOT count as scientific proof.

So, if I can't explain you I can just make you God? What if I can't explain myself? Can I start insisting I'm God?

Yup! Pantheist, panentheist or just a fucking whackjob! (I believe those are the terms used for your questions)!

However, I am sorry, you cannot be god because I am. We could share. I am not bitter or a megalomaniac. Sharing is caring after all!

Archived