IGNORED

It's Christmas Adam!

Sydney Fox

Or God wouldn't have felt the need to make Adam if he made Eve first.

If God made Eve first then he would have had to make Adam anyway as soon as she figured out she couldn't open the mayo jar. :twisted:

We call it Christmas Eve Eve. But what can you expect from a bunch of same-sex marriage supporting, pinko liberals.

We probably called it that before the Seinfeld festivals episode.

Nitpick: 6,000 years as the age of the Earth is not even Biblical. Nowhere in the Bible does it say or imply an exact figure. Calculating the age of the Earth based on numbers mentioned in the Bible requires taking metaphorical numbers such as 40 ("a long time") and 7 ("the time required to properly complete something") as literal fact. Let's not even get into why the Bible writers felt it necessary to attribute extremely long lives to their mythic ancestors. (For fundamentalists reading along, "myth" does not mean "not true." "Myth" means "a story that attempts to explain, according to the best understandign of the storytellers, something human beings cannot directly comprehend." Such as why we sin.) James Ussher, Primate of All Ireland,* who died in the mid-17th century AD, was the person who took all of these numbers as literal fact and calculated the date of the creation of the Earth. He is responsible for this plank of modern U.S. fundamentalist faith. He is indirectly responsible for an unknown number of people raised in fundamentalism leaving Christianity altogether when they realized that the age of the Earth could not possibly be 6,000 years. I don't think that this is his fault, but I wish he hadn't done it.

Back to Christmas Adam: If I could be sure they were joking, I wouldn't think it was silly. But knowing the Duggars, they're probably serious. Which makes "Christmas Adam" a load of fatuous nonsense.

*More or less, sorta kinda, Official Boss of All Protestants in Ireland.

Doesn't it depend on which version of the creation myth you decide to believe?

1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (kjv)

It's this confusing bit of verse that was the genesis (npi) of the Lilith myth. The woman he created at the same time as Adam was Lilith. After her disobedience, God created Eve from the rib.

God looked at Adam and said, "Surely I can do better than that!" And he created Eve.

I love you in a non-stalker kind of way.

But no man would ever write that. Maybe that's why the patriachs need their ego stroked so much-the original second sex was the man.

OK, then the 22nd is Christmas Livestock and Creepy Crawlies Day. Yay!

:animals-chicken: :animals-cat: :animals-bunnywhite: :animals-bunny: :animals-bear: :animals-chimp: :animals-cow: :animals-dog: :animals-dogrun: :animals-duckie: :animals-fishblue: :animals-fishgreen: :animals-frog: :animals-gerbil: :animals-ginger: :animals-mouse: :animals-panda: :animals-penguin: :animals-pig: :animals-shaun: :animals-sheep: :animals-worm: :character-kermit: :character-hobbes: :character-grover: :character-grommit: :character-ariel: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :obscene-moneypiss: :text-goodpost::text-happynewyear::text-merryxmas:

Yeah, it's a joke. A stupid joke, but it's silly to think that even the Duggars would take it seriously. (Now, they might turn it into something serious, I don't know, but it's not like they actually think that the "Eve" in Christmas Eve means the Eve of the Bible.)

On a side note, I really like the name Eve, but I'm not a huge fan of its origin. I think it seems better if you think of it in a Christmas Eve context rather than an Adam and Eve (I almost wrote "Adam and Steve" :lol: ) context.

I call it 'the day from hell'.

Because the 23rd is when I do the Christmas food shop.

Oh God, I wouldn't have known how true this is until yesterday, when I did, in fact, work at the grocery store on the 23rd! It. Was. Awful. The customers were actually really well-behaved, but they just kept coming all freaking day! I might have PTSD. :shock: Interestingly, today (Christmas Eve) was pretty much fine, mostly small orders of forgotten stuff.

God made Adam - and then said "HAH, just kidding!"

Sorry - I had to.

This doesn't shock me coming from a family who holds "potfaith" rather than "potluck" gatherings.

We call it Christmas Eve Eve. But what can you expect from a bunch of same-sex marriage supporting, pinko liberals.

So do we.

One of my old religious education teachers at Catholic school had a T-shirt that read: "When God created man, she thought: 'I can do better!' and she created woman." :D

Archived