IGNORED

More anti-vaxers

Wolfie

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic burns my ass....

For the record...I DO NOT VACCINATE.

My brother is one of those that actually had a reaction to vaccinations....which I am sure noone will believe...but the Government did and awarded him settlement under the vaccination compesation act.

Now, I do not vaccinate because family history IS important. Not long after my brother reacted, I reacted to the booster for school. THat being said, the head of Neurology at Columbus Childrens Hospital strongly recommended that because it's not known if there is a genetic link or not, to not vaccinate my kids.

This was not a decision I entered into lightly.

Yes I still freak out.

But I don't regret not vaccinating my kids.

What kills me is that people don't believe that vaccines can hurt kids...they can...I have lived with one of those for the past 31 years. It sucks.

Its easy to sit back with your healthy kids and pass judgement...but if the tables were turned, I bet you cash money all your opinions would be different.

My brother is one of those that actually had a reaction to vaccinations....which I am sure noone will believe...but the Government did and awarded him settlement under the vaccination compesation act.

Now, I do not vaccinate because family history IS important. Not long after my brother reacted, I reacted to the booster for school. THat being said, the head of Neurology at Columbus Childrens Hospital strongly recommended that because it's not known if there is a genetic link or not, to not vaccinate my kids.

Yes I still freak out.

What kills me is that people don't believe that vaccines can hurt kids...they can...I have lived with one of those for the past 31 years. It sucks.

Its easy to sit back with your healthy kids and pass judgement...but if the tables were turned, I bet you cash money all your opinions would be different.

See, that's a rational, logical reasonable decision you made for you and your family. In similar circumstances, I would not vax either.

See, that's a rational, logical reasonable decision you made for you and your family. In similar circumstances, I would not vax either.

It is people in just this situation that the herd immunity protects. I likely would not vax in this situation, either. Not without a through understanding of what caused your brother's problems. The non vax issue lies with the morons who buy into bullshit 'science' and boogey man scare tactics and refuse to vax.

On the flip side, I was happy for the chicken pox vax because several children in my family did have severe problens and a few even died of it. My bout with it was typical, but I am happy to not have to test my daughter's life on chicken pox.

T

Was your brother's reaction to the DPT immunization?

I didn't read where anyone said that vaccines never cause problems for kids. Of course they do, just like anything else under the sun. I don't have any problem with people not vaccinating if there is a solid medical reason not to. I do get pissed off about the parents of speshul snowflakes (those with no medical reason not to vaccinate, but who just refuse to look at the evidence for overall vaccine safety and efficacy).

And as far as we vaxers would be the first to change our opinions if the tables were turned, I don't doubt that the same could be said for a parent who doesn't vaccinate without any good reason and their child suffers serious illness or death. One reason my children are vaccinated, beyond for their own safety and health, is to protect children like yours, nurseshannon, and all the people who cannot be vaccinated.

Yes I still freak out.

You know, I seem to remember that every time you've brought up your story here we all say, "yes that is a good reason and it's why those without a family history of issues should vaccinate to protect families like yours." But you get defensive EVERY SINGLE TIME the subject comes up. Nobody here has every questioned your story, so why act all butthurt every time.

People here understand that some can't be vaccinated, but they also think that every single person who can be vaccinated should be to protect those who can't.

I chose "selective vaccinations" - I spread the vaccines out instead of following those CDC guidelines. We go to a military clinic so I drove them nuts - they wanted to just get them done and over with. It worked for us. My kids were "caught up" on their vaccines by the time they were about 4.

NurseShannon- I can understand your reaction-however, I have seen children die of whopping cough because parents believe all the stuff on the internet. Also more permie's are living because of the RSV vaccination. Everyone has to look at both sides of this debate.

:text-yeahthat:

You know, I seem to remember that every time you've brought up your story here we all say, "yes that is a good reason and it's why those without a family history of issues should vaccinate to protect families like yours." But you get defensive EVERY SINGLE TIME the subject comes up. Nobody here has every questioned your story, so why act all butthurt every time.

People here understand that some can't be vaccinated, but they also think that every single person who can be vaccinated should be to protect those who can't.

:text-yeahthat:

This conversation is making me want to go get titers done and see if I need any boosters. I'm willing to get any boosters except MMR. I had a reaction to the MMR booster that I had before college - one quarter of my body went numb and I had little muscle control for several hours with that one.

My mom is a nurse and very pro-vax. When I was 18 I was part of the study that determined that it was safe to put the Purtusis part back in the DTaP vaccine. She said I needed a DT booster and it would be great if I could be part of scientific research. It was a good experience.

This conversation is making me want to go get titers done and see if I need any boosters. I'm willing to get any boosters except MMR. I had a reaction to the MMR booster that I had before college - one quarter of my body went numb and I had little muscle control for several hours with that one.

My mom is a nurse and very pro-vax. When I was 18 I was part of the study that determined that it was safe to put the Purtusis part back in the DTaP vaccine. She said I needed a DT booster and it would be great if I could be part of scientific research. It was a good experience.

I would highly encourage it.

I was exposed to whooping cough two years ago. I'd had all my shots as a kiddo and even a booster as an adult.

I'm over two years out as exposed and while I no longer piss myself while coughing, I still occasionally get coughing bouts that make me puke.

Non-vaxers annoy me and to an extent scare me. They annoy me because I have yet to meet a single one who understood even the most basic ideas of how illness spreads and how immunity affects more than just them. They scare me because, while I personally have been vaccinated, there is some indications that previous exposure doesn't always work for me (I've had chicken pox twice, for example) and there are some illnesses that can be vaccinated against that pose a real threat to me. For instance, my mom kept me home when there was a whooping cough outbreak at my school because 1) I have asthma and even a cold can severely affect my ability to breath and 2) because I have asthma that kicks in even when I have a cold, the many of symptoms to look out for with whooping cough are the same symptoms I get when I have a cold. So she didn't want me to get sick in the first place, but if I did she didn't want to risk sending me to school with whooping cough because someone misdiagnosed it as "just a regular old Canadian Hippie cold!" Luckily I never got sick.

I also like to stay away from people when I get sick. My germaphobia goes into over drive, no touching my face with my right hand, no touching anything other than face and tissue with my left hand, no touching my hands with my hands, wash said hands every chance I get, and maintain as much of a radius of distance form others as possible at all times, and stay home when possible.

That being said, as much as I put crap into my body, I rarely do get sick, and usually the cough is the worst of it. I still won't be as ignorant as so many anti-vaxers and assume that just because I'm only ill every few years I don't need to be vaccinated (I do need to update my tetanus, and I haven't gotten around to the HPV vax yet, though).

And who does herd immunity protect?

Oh, Oh! I know! I know!

The people who aren't capable of acquiring their own immunity, little people with immune issues that make vaccinating dangerous!

• 6 years later...

My Grandma was a nurse under the Royal Victoria Order, very well trained.  Did triage in the streets of London during the Blitz and specialized in nursing victims of mustard gas.  However, the only time I ever heard her cuss was when she would talk about people who would not vacinate their children.  Gramma said if they knew what life was like before immunization  they would run to get it done.  

8 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

My Grandma was a nurse under the Royal Victoria Order, very well trained.  Did triage in the streets of London during the Blitz and specialized in nursing victims of mustard gas.  

How cool your grandmother was a nurse under the Royal Victoria Order. If you like to read historical fiction I highly recommend the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd. The author is actually a mother/son team, which I find fascinating. Bess is a nurse under the Royal Victoria Order serving in WWI. It's a very interesting series.

7 hours ago, NurseNell said:

How cool your grandmother was a nurse under the Royal Victoria Order. If you like to read historical fiction I highly recommend the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd. The author is actually a mother/son team, which I find fascinating. Bess is a nurse under the Royal Victoria Order serving in WWI. It's a very interesting series.

Thanks Nurse Nell.  I will find those books!

Archived