IGNORED

don't even talk to those boys, you godly girls

contrary

A "peak of naked flesh" sounds to me like some sort of tumour and if it caused a man to stumble, it would be due to horror!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
QFT, especially the last line. Why can fundies not negotiate relationships like normal people?
Honestly I think part of it is that they forbid wanking.

Quite possibly it's TMI and if so I'm sorry but... if I find myself in some pattern where I'm distracted with thoughts of sex to the point I'm unable to concentrate on the task at hand, there is one action that will reliably solve the problem. Just sayin'. :whistle:

If a peek of naked flesh can cause a man to stumble, then he isn't much of a man is he. He also shouldn't be allowed out of the house.

I really sounds like A Handmaids Tale

It totally does ..... super creepy that people want to live like that. :shock:

But this is Joanne, and according to her own testimony she's screwed around a bit. :naughty:

Indeed, two children born outside marriage, 2 different fathers. And was she even divorced from her 1st husband when she married the next one? It doesn't sound like it. She's just another person who wants others to do as she says, not as she does.

I encounter a lot of Muslim women (mostly East African immigrants) in my area, many of them wearing hijab. A few months ago, I saw a woman in niqab (everything but the eyes and hands covered) in Costco. And that's exactly what came to mind as I read this article.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, the hijab is the cute head scarf thing, right?

At the risk of sounding ignorant, the hijab is the cute head scarf thing, right?

You don't sound ignorant, and yep. :)

I wasn't raised fundie but I can relate to this. The purity thing was emphasized a lot. I don't blame the church though, but I wonder where some of the ideas I have come from. Most people from the church I grew up in seem okay lol and my parents were normal about that stuff.

I can relate also. The whole talking to boys thing was really downplayed in my home and when I reached college and still even now that I am in grad school I have problems understanding subtext of flirtation in conversation goes over my head. Definitely can make for some awkward moments when I take a comment literally when it was not meant that way from a guy. And I don't know anyone that has gone to college and has managed to not talk to a guy so I must not be "godly" or others I know. At the very least most of my history professors were male and I had to talk to them in class at least once. :)

well at least there is hope for me then :) I'm a music/history major so i'm really trying to force myself to talk to guys and people in general.

Ok I can hear all of my real life friends and half of my online friends laughing at me for this... but I'm gonna try the "meek mild and quiet" thing for a week. I REFUSE to wear a skirt in this weather... but thats not the problem because I love skirts anyway... no, my issue is being quiet. We're gonna see if it makes people think of me as more Godly or not lol.

But, if you're speaking to a man in your church you're not related to, isn't that talking to a man? I guess maybe the difference is you need to select someone who is already married, so it won't be like speaking to an unmarried man, who might think you're flirting? And I guess you can only pray that your dad and your husband will have the same interests and conversational style, or all that practicing with your dad will be for naught. Maybe that's part of the courtship interrogation?

This poor girl...what a miserable life... :cry:

Talk about methodically exposing your vulnerable daughters to abuse. Might as well substitute "creepy older men" for the bolded above; and teaching that her only reason for contact with these guys is to learn to submit. Honestly, this is beyond stupid.

Amen, sisters!

me five. except put me down for nice-fitting levi's.

and, on similar lines, if God sez pants are man clothes and not women clothes, why were Jesus and his boyfriends always tarting around in muumuus?

Cute??

How is it cute for Muslim women and pointless for Christian women?

Talk about methodically exposing your vulnerable daughters to abuse. Might as well substitute "creepy older men" for the bolded above; and teaching that her only reason for contact with these guys is to learn to submit. Honestly, this is

beyond stupid.

FTA: Likewise, a girl who is a true follower of Christ will not want to be forward or bossy, and would be ashamed to be “well known†among the youth in any un-Christ-like way.

'Well-known'? We're talking teenage social circles, not The Darling Of The Fleet!

Cute??

When I see a hijab I think it looks cute. I have no problem with women choosing modesty, just modesty being forced on women for whom it isn't right, like me. Many Muslim women choose the hijab, though sadly some don't.

Cute??

One of my coworkers always accessorizes her hijab to match her outfits, and yes, it really does quite cute. She has all kinds of pretty scarves she uses, and she uses some really pretty pins to keep them in place.

I don't give a flying fuck if a Christian woman wants to cover her hair, but in a lot of cases, the Christian woman's headcovering is not as ornate or decorative as a hijab.

Here's some examples of hijab:

everythingislamic.com/ProdImages/xl_hijab_0209.jpg

polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=4939580

hijabella.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/akel3.jpg

2.bp.blogspot.com/_6XLbxR5X8mQ/SwFUWBlWxGI/AAAAAAAAADQ/6dqmu_MVf9U/s1600/wedding-hijab-5.jpg

3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vc075iPh8pk/Tjhotq7aitI/AAAAAAAAAiw/4dHpsbqQLRU/s1600/hijab-style-3-81.jpg

A lot of Muslim women get really creative with their hijab, and it's often really quite lovely.

Here's a few examples of Christian women's headcoverings:

ny-image1.etsy.com/il_430xN.81745417.jpg

quakerjane.com/images/plain_dress/caps/HeartShaped6a.jpg

christiancoverings.com/large/Joanna.jpg

3.bp.blogspot.com/-i9dYRTNG0ow/TfV5nID3cDI/AAAAAAAAABc/JM_GQACru9I/s1600/headcovering1.jpg

While they aren't ugly, per se, they seem to be along the same lines and come in three colors: brown, gray, or white. It's a bit harder to accessorize with those.

I'm not trying to say that hijabs are better than Christian head coverings, just that there seems to be more variety with hijab.

Exactly. Boring lace doilies or those funny Mennonite hat things vs. the wonderful array of brightly colored/patterned hijabi? I know what I'd pick.

Ok, who left these comments???

Anonymous said...

Mary Magdalene talked to Jesus. She, in fact, was one of Jesus' most devoted disciples. Was she wrong? If it were wrong for girls/ women not to speak with men/boys, why would our Lord and Savior do it?

December 7, 2011 4:43 PM

Joanne said...

Anonymous - how many men are you a devoted disciple of?

December 7, 2011 4:51 PM

Anonymous said...

Just the Lord of Darkness. And Elton John.

Sunnichick, I was just going to ask the same thing. Made me laugh out loud! Love it.

This is the Crazy Pretzel Salt Lady, yes? Sad.

So, basically, she doesn't have an answer for that. I HATE how they always deflect when you point out blatant errors in their theology. They either ignore the question completely and deflect, or they use the 'It wasn't meant LITERALLY' excuse, even when they claim to believe the bible is literal.

Ok, is it possible to block an IP address from commenting on something? If so, I think she blocked me! I tried 4 times and it wouldn't let me comment, it just kept saying that I typed the letters from the Captchca (that's what they're called, right??) incorrectly.

December 7, 2011 4:43 PM

Joanne said...

Anonymous - how many men are you a devoted disciple of?

December 7, 2011 4:51 PM

Anonymous said...

Just the Lord of Darkness. And Elton John.

LMAO...

I have a friend whose dream is to go on a shopping spree with Elton John.

I just told my boyfriend that only trousers/pants are manly, so he absolutely cannot wear his kilt again. He's not talking to me anymore. Mission accomplished. Am I godly now?

Archived