IGNORED

Viewer discretion is advised judge abusing his daughter

latraviata

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hillary Adams is my heroine. I can't even imagine the courage it must have taken to record her own beating and then to post it, even all these years later, for the world to see. I am 40 years old and I don't have the courage to talk publicly about my abuse, much less to air actual footage (if I had any). What a brave, brave young woman. In addition to this, I have so many thoughts:

1) The whole thing is disgusting but one thing that stands out to me is the parents' insistence that she bend over and take her own abuse. I can't imagine much worse than forcing a human being to cooperate in her own beating, to be complicit in her own abuse, and to not be permitted to defend herself. Everyone has a right to self-defense -- everyone. No one should have to bend over and take it.

2) On the mother: shit, that's a tough one. Yes, I agree that the mother should have done more to protect her child. But one thing I know as a former abuse victim myself is that abuse corrupts not only the abusers but the victims. One of the most degrading aspects of abuse is that it makes you utterly craven. In my case, I was only a child but still, I remember so well the shame of knowing that I would sell out anyone I could if it would help me avoid being humiliated, terrorized and beaten (not that I had the opportunity to sell anyone out but I would have!) It reminds me of 1984, when the protagonist urges Big Brother to torture the love of his life rather than him. It is not morally okay, but I also think it is a very common (though disgusting) human reaction to side with the abuser in the hope of placating him and/or sparing oneself. In my case, I have totally forgiven my mother for similar behavior; the fact that she has reason to blame herself makes me pity her more.

3) I haven't researched the full extent of the law in Texas, but I did find a statute that permits parents to use "corporal punishment in the reasonable discipline of the child." Now, you and I might think that what this guy did was obviously despicable and outrageous, but I don't have any faith at all that a Texas jury will find this one out of bounds. (Sorry, Texans, but even in New England where I live juries are lenient on child abusers because the law is so squishy. And Texas has a very pro-CP culture.) Maybe her disability is an angle for establishing that it was unreasonable, but I don't know.

BTW, for anyone who is not aware of her particular form of CP, here is the definition:

Low muscle tone and poor coordination of movements is described as ataxic cerebral palsy. Children with ataxic cerebral palsy look very unsteady and shaky. This rare form of cerebral palsy affects the sense of balance and depth perception. Affected persons often have poor coordination and walk unsteadily with a wide based gait, placing their feet unusually far apart. They have a lot of shakiness, like a tremor you might have seen in a very old person, especially when they are trying to handle or hold a small object such as a pen. Because of the shaky movements and problems coordinating their muscles, children with ataxic cerebral palsy may take longer than other children to complete certain tasks such as writing a sentence. This form affects about 5-10 percent of the children diagnosed with cerebral palsy.

She looks like she has fairly good control. But, I've known enough people with CP (only a few with ataxic, I do admit) to know that stress, tiredness, and pain can make it harder to control movements.

How much she got blamed for being "willful," over the years and even in that video, when she was actually having trouble moving, completing a task, or placing something where she was aiming (due to lack of depth perception) is horrible to think about.

A judge on Dr. Drew said that the statue of limitations has expired on the tape.

What the f*ck? Noooo! I hope that's not true!

From the MSNBC article:

"I lost my temper," Adams told KRIS-TV. "Her mother was there, she wasn't hurt... it was a long time ago... I really don't want to get into this right now because as you can see my life's been made very difficult over this child."

Of course HE'S the victim. It's all his kid's fault.

"When asked if he felt he was going to face suspension or discipline from the state over the video Adams responded, "In my mind I have not done anything wrong other than discipline my child when she was caught stealing. I did lose my temper, I've apologized... it looks worse than it is."

It was a video game. She was 16 years old. And he was way beyond out of control.

Color me horrified.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45135221/ns ... rHme0NKPXo

He left the house with his rifles. An armed, masochistic, narcissistic abuser with anger management issues. How comforting.

OTOH, maybe he's fearing for his life. Finally, something to lift all our spirits.

Why do I feel that this whole thing isn't going to end well?

Wow. Really? Wow. I hope they throw not just the book, but the whole damn encyclopedia at this douche.

I would think this was my dad but he has been dead for 11 years now.... as far as I know. Anyway, I tried to watch but by the time I got to the first hit I was in freak out mode and back into my childhood.

I had something else written out but decided not to say it. I hope this woman gets the help she will need. and she has the world cheering her on.

:evil: NOOOO.

Is it not possible to find an answer in a statute book (if you have one) or through google?

Edited for riffles.

Liberry skills put to work.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... /CR.12.htm

This is the code of criminal procedure. 10 years from the date of the act is the limitation for the abuse of a disabled individual--which she was, but no clue if it's a first degree felony. I'll have to research that next.

(D) injury to an elderly or disabled individual punishable as a felony of the first degree under Section 22.04, Penal Code;

HOWEVER, it later says that

(6) ten years from the 18th birthday of the victim of the offense: injury to a child under Section 22.04, Penal Code

So, then the statute of limitation ends in 2014 or when she turns 28 (how old is Hillary, by the way?)

(6) ten years from the 18th birthday of the victim of the offense: injury to a child under Section 22.04, Penal Code

So, then the statute of limitation ends in 2014 or when she turns 28 (how old is Hillary, by the way?)

I think Hillary is 23.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... /PE.22.htm

This is the penal code. Use ctrl-f to find this section.

Sec. 22.04. INJURY TO A CHILD, ELDERLY INDIVIDUAL, OR DISABLED INDIVIDUAL. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence, by act or intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly by omission, causes to a child, elderly individual, or disabled individual:

(1) serious bodily injury;

(2) serious mental deficiency, impairment, or injury; or

(3) bodily injury.

(e) An offense under Subsection (a)(1) or (2) or (a-1)(1) or (2) is a felony of the first degree when the conduct is committed intentionally or knowingly. When the conduct is engaged in recklessly, the offense is a felony of the second degree.

The problem is, according to the penal code, a "child" is someone 14 or younger, and a "disabled person" is someone who cannot protect him or herself.

Still reading through the law. Feel free to join me.

My husband who tolerates my nattering on about fundies and the like got out of his truck tonight and said did you hear about that asshole judge in Texas who beat his daughter and it's on video? He then said, he thought the judge should get a taste of his own treatment.

My husband who tolerates my nattering on about fundies and the like got out of his truck tonight and said did you hear about that asshole judge in Texas who beat his daughter and it's on video? He then said, he thought the judge should get a taste of his own treatment.

I agree :evil: Ongoing torture for 23 years that he's done it to HIllary, and then additional years for the abuse he's done to his ex-wife and other daughter.

Liberry skills put to work.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... /CR.12.htm

This is the code of criminal procedure. 10 years from the date of the act is the limitation for the abuse of a disabled individual--which she was, but no clue if it's a first degree felony. I'll have to research that next.

HOWEVER, it later says that

From what I could find, she was 16 at the time the video was made which means the crime would not be punishable under 22.04 unless she can prove that her disability makes her "substantially unable to protect [her]self from harm or to provide food, shelter, or medical care for [her]self."

http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/22.04.00.html

So there is a chance the statute of limitations is five years after the crime was committed.

The more I read about this, the more I get a bad feeling that the outcome is not going to be one we want. I don't know why, but I just feel like Aransas county is just going to let all this die down and go back to business as usual. If there are already speculators saying that they don't know if this was a case of abuse--like I said, the more I read, the more I get a bad feeling about this. I think I'll go back to my original statement--that sonofabitch should just do the world a favor and off himself.

Sorry guys, no conviction will come of this. An enterprising DA may attempt an indictment, but its not gonna happen. Even here in Georgia there wouldnt be proof of any significant injuries to sustain a felony conviction. She clearly can walk after, isnt bleeding, and there are no pictures (that we know of) that would allow it to rise to a level above corporal punishment.

I do believe the statute of limitations has run but I'll do some more research into texas law tomorrow. Regardless of the statute, the lack of proof of injury will sink the ship. The video is awful and he shouldnt be a family law judge if he thinks this is appropriate child rearing, but its not criminal...

Then there's still some hope of prosecution.

Oh I found her exact birth date. She will turn 24 on the 29:th of December this year.

even if he could get the max it would not be that much time. but the real thing is to disgrace him and kill his career. that's a far more important goal. because he can harm far more people being a judge.

There may not be a legal conviction. There will, however, be ramifications. He holds an elected position. How many people would vote for him after seeing this?

Please don't tell me people will forget. I can't accept that. I am losing faith in humanity anyway, I don't think it could take another hit right now. I can't accept the thought of people voting this man into his office, where he is paid by tax dollars and in a position of power. I can't and won't go there. People are better than that.

Mrs. Annie, your husband rocks...

People wont forget, and if he is in an elected seat I'm guessing thats done. Google is a wonderful thing!

BTW - A/C is on right now and they're doing the beard cutting and this... wonder if they just read FJ for stories!

Please don't tell me people will forget. I can't accept that. I am losing faith in humanity anyway, I don't think it could take another hit right now. I can't accept the thought of people voting this man into his office, where he is paid by tax dollars and in a position of power. I can't and won't go there. People are better than that.

We can hope for a recall election?

Archived